Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

hypothetical (and probably something a simulator can handle)

who in the long run would win this game more: the 25 best pitchers vs the 25 best hitters?

the pitchers would not only pitch, but man the field and bat. you could do crazy switches per batter a la maddon if you wanted to. bullpen and bench are all pitchers too. likewise, the hitters would hit, man the field, and pitch to these pitchers. bullpen and bench are stocked with hitters too.

my guess is the pitchers win this more.

important research:

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2016/7/13/12170246/a-league-of-bartolo-colons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

AAA games own because there's always at least one or two washed up guys who you haven't thought about in five years coming out of nowhere.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no, no, no, mister shoulders is my father's name

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

remusclaw posted:

What would you say to convince a person who has read a book or two about the game in the 1800's, played the occasional video game, played the actual game very poorly as a kid, and watched the whole 20 something hours that was Ken Burns' Baseball, that Baseball is worth watching? Because I clearly like the concept, but taking the time to actually watch games is something I just can't seem to do.

I'm from Wisconsin though I don't live there now so Iv'e got the Brewers, who seem to be notable for having had a good player a few years back who was traded to greener pastures, and the Braves, who were based out of Milwaukee sometime in the past.

I suppose we have Bob Uecker going for us.

The Brewers are in first place and have one of the coolest players in baseball right now, Eric Thames, who sucked, went to Korea, became the Barry Bonds of Korea and so good at hitting that his nickname was literally "God," came to the Brewers this year and is absolutely knocking the poo poo out of the ball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Well poo poo. Shows what I know. Was born in Green Bay so I was kind of in a Football family. Next thing someone will tell the Buck's are good now.

It's a great time to watch some Brewers baseball! They've got a bunch of interesting prospects coming up and they've got a relief pitcher who hauls rear end from the dugout to the mound and one day he will eat it and it will be glorious.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The best pitcher in baseball is Mr. Indimidation AKA The Dominator that's right I'm talking about Kyle Hendricks

Only registered members can see post attachments!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

clayton kershaw is literally one of the greatest pitchers who has ever lived

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

question: how come outfielders only throw the ball into the stands when there's three outs, even if no one is on base

is it a rule, like if you throw it out of play with 1 or 2 outs the guy can stay on base? or is it just a convention. like maybe they do it so they don't accidentally forget someone's on with 1 out and throw it away

sometimes they do it with less than two outs and guys on base and it owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUtG-fXfKnI

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MLB is in a weird space with Pitch F/X and broadcast strike zone boxes. Either the strike zone is an empirical fact rooted in fixed physical space or it is a term of art open to the interpretation of the umpires, but the broadcast gives us both at the same time and it's making everyone nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anyone who is pro DH should consider how much entertainment we've all gotten out of forcing kyle schwarber to impersonate an outfielder

• Locked thread