Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

450 outs generated with a combination of strikeouts and fielded outs is still a LOT of outs to make. Adam Dunn hit 40 homers for a sub-1 WARP a few years ago, then followed it with 30 bombs for a sub-0 WARP.

Edit: :lol: (look at the years played)

That has way more to do with the WARP formula than dingers vs outs. He played bad defense at 1B, no defense at DH, and was a slow, old baserunner. He stopped being able to get base hits hardly at all, but because he hit 75 dingers and walked almost 200 times in those two years he was an above average offensive player by basically every metric (OPS+, wRC, wOBA, tAV, pick one).

Only the VORP part of WARP is valuable in this conversation.

I hate the sentence I just wrote so very, very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Can't steal third if you strike out 25 times a game because Mike Trout can't handle pitching up in the zone.

Agreed he's like barely an All Star if you can keep the ball between the belt and the bottom of the letters and never miss.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I don't think you should choose between either going to MLB or MiLB, but if you're feeling out whether going to a baseball game is something you're interested in definitely see a minor league game. They're as tuned to involve the crowd and be fan friendly as any professional sport can be.

I will quote from the wikipedia article about our local minor league team to convince you of this.

quote:

"The Blue Rocks have three mascots. One is Rocky Bluewinkle, a blue moose. Another is Mr. Celery, a stalk of celery that comes out to "Song 2" by Blur when Wilmington scores a run, and dances and tosses stalks of celery into the crowd whenever a Blue Rocks player hits a home run. Finally, there is Rubble, a giant blue rock."

Plus for $10 you get an awesome seat and you can bug an entire section by pointing at "prospects".

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Do they serve bloody marys that I can dip my celebratory celery into?

One of the pubs serves cocktails, so I'm going to answer in the affirmative for this question.

• Locked thread