Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It’s been maybe a year or so since I last did a run. Maybe even 18 months. It’s definitely a game I’ll come back and do a run every now and then but I’ve poured about 1400 hours into it over the years, so I’ve been doing other things. It’s kinda like Civ games in that way. Every year or two you just decide to play again and it takes a month sized bite out of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerrund_ing
Sep 3, 2023

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Anyone else still playing?

I decided to start a new run and I'm hooked all over again.

Turned off the rather cheaty try out mod and decided to just play with trash bros. Turns out stats don't really matter and the early power perks more than make up for it.

It's been a few weeks but I still play a it with the Legends mod among a few QoL ones.

It's stupid broken, but the Scaling Beggar start is so much fun... especially if you edit the files to remove the "can only hire lowborns" restriction it normally has.

Seriously, I can't recommend Legends enough for people who are looking to make the game fresh again.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Runs going well, day 60 and out busting camps, trash bros thinned themselves out, old bros are about 8 or 9 and farming for good bros is slowly underway.

My famed item luck has been terrible though. A two handed axe that rolled to be almost identical to a great axe, which is ok. 4 famed shields. And some medium armour, which I'm not sure if it's good for a nimble forged guy or not. Mid 200s for mid 20s fat off the top of my head. What's the breakpoints people look for on armour for nimble forged?

Edit - looking up what the internet says the armour is in no way good enough for nimble forged so more trash pieces

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 31, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
For around day 60 I'd say a mid-200s for mid-20s armour would be useful for a really long time, even if it isn't light enough for a nimble bro in the super endgame. Just fit it into your hermit crab armour rotation around the same place as a set of scale armour, and somebody will be wearing it for a really long time.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Yeah true, it helps keep my 2nd gen recruits safe while they level up.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any good LPs for the game?

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

tithin posted:

Any good LPs for the game?

FilthyRobot is probably the "classic" BB streamer, he has several seasons on Youtube, here is a recent one. I find them entertaining, though he pretty rigidly sticks to what he likes for builds, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQFX9B_9L4-mJDlbl5z-eNvLu7L3jPBuD

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Somewyrdsins (YouTube name is slightly different but Google turns it up) and feedingfriendly are both ridiculously good at the game and stream and post runs to youtube.

Carvahole is also good and does very indpeth guide stuff.

Syns is a very minmaxer type and their gimmick is winning every game (ironman, unexplored, max difficulty no restarts or reloads and win kind of thing) and doing so hard and early. They tend to focus on snowballing the early game quickly and build average or bad bros to do that. Good for learning how to break the game over your knee or just get consistently good starts. They also do challenge runs.

Feeding has a similar view on the very start (snowball) but enjoys the late game more and actively searches for and builds god tier bros, where a syns run often ends before day 100 feeding will go to about 300.

Carvahole will spend an hour talking to you about how he sets up his formation against goblins. If you wanna know a specific thing in depth they are a good resource.

Filthyrobot is outdated these days and is a notably worse player than the others, but is an entertaining streamer.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 5, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I come back every couple weeks to month and play a couple battles on my long game where I swear I will one day clear all the sites, and sometimes do another start until I'm tired of it / get the achievement I'm going for

still need to get a Prophet of Dave the Cool

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I did a cultist run. I'd have to load it and check but I think I have 3 or 4 absolute rockstars with the main chosen/prophet being a smidge better than the other stars and the rest of the bros are middling chaff. The events are very flavorful.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Yeah, you absolutely can smash the game with questionable bros as long as you get ahead of the gear grind and optimise perks to fix their weaknesses.

A team full team of decidedly average bros at level 11ish on day 70 with raider gear plus (mainly raider a few upgrades) can smash any camp on the map.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Yeah, you absolutely can smash the game with questionable bros as long as you get ahead of the gear grind and optimise perks to fix their weaknesses.

A team full team of decidedly average bros at level 11ish on day 70 with raider gear plus (mainly raider a few upgrades) can smash any camp on the map.

Not sure I agree with this statement. The average bandit/undead camp yes; most orc/goblin camps probably, but barbarian chosen or big ancient dead camps absolutely not

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm not sure I'd take on big nomad camps with raider gear either, at least if they have those special archers

Or are we considering training roaming packs into the camp here? Because then everything goes.

Edit: Forgot necrosavant camps, I think speed/challenge runners avoid those for a reason, because they're almost pure gear checks

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 6, 2024

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Keep in mind I specifically called out by day 70.

Camps scale by tier, distance, and time. Tier and distance are what they are and don't change, time obviously does and that early the biggest barb camp will be a large number of Reavers and a few Chosen. Very doable by that sort of team. Orcs too might have a couple of warriors.

Similarly, raider plus, it's a raider nimble baseline with some better weapons (heavy throwers, T3 maces etc) and likely some famed finds.

It's a window though, they will keep scaling and your average bros will cap out, but it can be done.

Also savants can also be done in the window, big "is it worth it" question that most people decide that it isn't but nets help as does understanding their ai.

You don't need to train things either, that's 100% cheese.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I will forever defend train cheese after pulling the barbarian king into a necro camp.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
may or may not be responsible for getting one of my men decapitated by another man who I accidently ordered to do a round swing

oh well he was a newbie who joined on the road literally moments before

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

verbal enema posted:

may or may not be responsible for getting one of my men decapitated by another man who I accidently ordered to do a round swing

It was the melon fucker, wasn't it?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

dogstile posted:

I will forever defend train cheese after pulling the barbarian king into a necro camp.

After a while every orc and barbarian camp I did had another army pulled into it. Best was the frost unholds into anything.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Drakenel posted:

It was the melon fucker, wasn't it?

No we tarred and beat him with chickens

It was some deserter guy

Later one of the original crew died and that really stung cuz he is the one who lopped Hoggart's head off

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Mazz posted:

After a while every orc and barbarian camp I did had another army pulled into it. Best was the frost unholds into anything.

Best way to totally exploit pulling is to head to a southern town, make them mad, and run the three conscript groups they send after you across the world wrecking everything from like day 3.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

this is the way of BB. embrace the carnage

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I bounced off this game years ago but I tried it again recently and I'm enjoying it.

After an easy tutorial and trader run I've been doing cultists. I also wanted to explore an all skirmisher build idea I had and figured cultists would help me lean into that. The idea is that cultists have pretty good starting resolve, fatigue, and health but low mdef, att, and ratt. Normally that's pretty bad, but since all the secondary stats are solid and grow with sacrifices you can level up both attacks and mdef every time. Bros end up pretty good but not great at everything. Throwing is really strong with a natural hit chance bonus and you can pair it with shields, duelists, or two handed weapons easily. I also used swords heavily since they have a natural hit chance bonus.

In practice I ended up drifting a little bit from the concept by converting some thieves and brawlers for my tanks on the corners of the line. They still had quick hands but their ranged was so low I just gave them polearms or whips to switch to and used those levels on fatigue and health.

Early game wasn't too hard because I just tore through dumb farm boys for victory. I hired cheap and didn't mind if I lost non-cultists bros every fight. It got harder in mid game though, the fresh farm boys weren't cutting it anymore but the cultists weren't good enough to take on the nastier stuff. I had to be really careful about my contracts and felt pretty weak. An issue I ran into is that the really good sacrifice bonuses don't kick in until late in the game, the sacrifice event is just too slow and you can be unlucky with progression even when you get it. I was also using so many throwing weapons that it was hurting my income and I had to search every town for ammo. Cultists are cheap normally, but the skirmisher thing meant every fight cost like 500 gold.

Around day 80 things turned around again. By then I had a team of only high level cultists and slaves, with a couple spots open for strong converts. Payouts were high enough that the ammo cost didn't matter anymore. I cleared the orc crisis easily. I was pretty disappointed in the sacrifices though.

I'm around 180 now and doing the second crisis. The highest cultist is still only 4 candles but I got the unique armor. I'm feeling ready to start on some end game content. I've also been looking for dumb sellswords because they'd be perfect skirmisher cultist converts but I haven't found a single one. For fun I also picked up a knight, I just give him happy powder when he's upset. I've thought about getting sellswords or beast slayers and trying to farm them for brain damage but I think that would be frustrating.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Set a new personal best for all legendary location cleared by Day 99 (Gladiator EELI random seed) and wanted to share on the internet :toot:

Wassbix fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 3, 2024

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
deleted

Wassbix fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 3, 2024

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Got a hankering for lovely dirt peasant merc sim again and am thinking about firing this up. How are the oathtaker and anatomist origins? I haven't played all the OGs, just rebuilding and Lone Wolf (which was by far the more fun of the two for me), and those two looked the most interesting to me so far.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Psycho Landlord posted:

Got a hankering for lovely dirt peasant merc sim again and am thinking about firing this up. How are the oathtaker and anatomist origins? I haven't played all the OGs, just rebuilding and Lone Wolf (which was by far the more fun of the two for me), and those two looked the most interesting to me so far.

Anatomists are fun if you like super long runs, you get potions that grant special buffs per enemy type killed and you can stack it all on one bro and turn him into Goku and solo Armies

Oathtakers don't get normal ambitions but special oaths that grant buffs/penalties - it's not too different from a regular run (you can't get the ambition trinkets, which makes some Legendary fights really hard)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The biggest selling point for Oathtakers imo is that one of the characters you start with has the potential to be an amazing fencer.
Also, some of the oaths are busted. The undead one makes the black monolith and the library a breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Isn't there a scripted battle with the oathtakers start? Versus oathholders or something?