Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tias posted:

The ork berserkers do mushrooms, the goblins ride wolves, and your company captain who dies in the intro is named the same things as the captain in the WHFB mercenary company simulator from 98. But what do I know, I'm a dork :iiam:

The fact you know those things make you a dork.

Goblins in Tolkien poo poo ride wolves too. Same with orcs eating mushrooms and wearing black armor.

Not everything is a reference to some other need IP. You idiots are almost as bad as the Warhammer fans talking about how mass effect could have been designed with 40k in mind. No shut up about warhammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Snatch Duster posted:

The fact you know those things make you a dork.

Goblins in Tolkien poo poo ride wolves too. Same with orcs eating mushrooms and wearing black armor.

Not everything is a reference to some other need IP. You idiots are almost as bad as the Warhammer fans talking about how mass effect could have been designed with 40k in mind. No shut up about warhammer.

Having played Warhammer QUEST, I can see how the comparisons are being made.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
psa: snatch duster's red text is earned because he consistently goes into threads and tries to stir poo poo up. if you need proof of this, check his rap sheet.

none of his stated views are heart felt or serious. all of them are stated to get a response. all responses will result in further escalation, and this process will repeat indefinitely. i have personally witnessed this cycle 3 times, this thread makes it 4.

this has been a public service announcement. game is good, let us continue.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

However he is right in saying it's not all Hams. Just the very most explicit stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I get a big Darklands vibe too, but I think that's just the text blocks and the low magic + Germanic setting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Say, what's the preferred perk layout on a dedicated knife fighter? Crippling Strikes seems essential so that when you go through the armor you make sure you hurt them, but I imagine you'd want Executioner and Backstabber, too?

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Someone in the old thread was talking about negative reputation only quests. Does anyone have more information about these? Not quite ready to restart and I don't know how much of a pain it'll be to tank my rep.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Say, what's the preferred perk layout on a dedicated knife fighter? Crippling Strikes seems essential so that when you go through the armor you make sure you hurt them, but I imagine you'd want Executioner and Backstabber, too?

executioner and backstabber are far more important than crippling strikes for the knife fighter himself. crippling strikes makes more sense on the dudes who are SUPPORTING the knife fighter.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

radintorov posted:

Overhype just released two tutorial videos aimed at new players:
World Map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGp9DxqQyg

Tactical Combat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJZBhZLU2RA
Nice catch, adding these to the second post. :)

Coolguye posted:

executioner and backstabber are far more important than crippling strikes for the knife fighter himself. crippling strikes makes more sense on the dudes who are SUPPORTING the knife fighter.
I dunno, the supporting guys will have to do significant armor damage to do health damage and cause injuries, and at that point what's your knife dude even doing there? Crippling strikes and Executioner sounds like a good combo for a knife guy.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I get a big Darklands vibe too, but I think that's just the text blocks and the low magic + Germanic setting.
I think there are a lot of Darklands elements.

* 95% historical weapons and armor without a lot of fantastic embellishment.
* Tiling world map design.
* Randomly generated quests to take out bandits / retrieve random artifacts.
* CYOA pop-ups.
* Germanic city names & abstracted city representation.
* Largely anonymous party members with personalities defined by backgrounds and your play experiences.

I asked the devs about it and they hadn't even heard of the game prior to people bringing it up on their forums.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
P sure the devs are giant European history nerds and wanted to make a game to reflect that interest. Idk maybe I am wrong but that is what I get from their let's plays

Maybe they fully intended to ape some other IPs lore or mechanics.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 23, 2017

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
is this coming out midnight?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there any trick to trading beyond purchasing goods where they have the related production buildings and selling them elsewhere? I bought a bunch of wood at a place with like 3 woodcutter camps and sold them halfway across the map to a place with a bowyer but the amount of money I gained didn't feel worth it.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My experience is that cities tend to be the right places to sell (and the right places to buy are places you're at friendly relations with). Beyond that I think that the only edge you can get is through modifiers like 'ambushed trade routes' . The amount of money you get from the arbitrage tends not to be enough, but it's mindless enough that it's often worth picking goods up.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Is there any trick to trading beyond purchasing goods where they have the related production buildings and selling them elsewhere? I bought a bunch of wood at a place with like 3 woodcutter camps and sold them halfway across the map to a place with a bowyer but the amount of money I gained didn't feel worth it.

The biggest trick is to do it in particular with higher-value trade goods. If you buy cheap wood for 160 and sell it for 200 (above the usual price) you're not making much, even if you have 3-5 units of it. But if you buy 400-crown dyes for 350 and sell them for 600 it's more of a noticeable payday.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

John Charity Spring posted:

The biggest trick is to do it in particular with higher-value trade goods. If you buy cheap wood for 160 and sell it for 200 (above the usual price) you're not making much, even if you have 3-5 units of it. But if you buy 400-crown dyes for 350 and sell them for 600 it's more of a noticeable payday.

At the same time, if you buy wood for 160 and sell it for 200, you still probably made a day's pay that you wouldn't have otherwise, so it's still worthwhile.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Night10194 posted:

At the same time, if you buy wood for 160 and sell it for 200, you still probably made a day's pay that you wouldn't have otherwise, so it's still worthwhile.

Oh sure, I still do it. But it's the high-value ones I keep an eye out for.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Ideally you want to buy in small villages effected by good modifiers (well supplied, safe roads, good spirits) and sell them in big towns or citadels with bad modifiers (raided especially). In practice you should just always buy trade goods if you the price is below (or similar to) their base price and you should always be able to get a nice profit in the next big town.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got a Bowyer with 52 base ranged and 3 talent stars, but he's insecure and can never be Confident in battle.

Dude could be the greatest archer of the age but he's crippled with self doubt. Still definitely worth keeping, obviously.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rope kid posted:

I think there are a lot of Darklands elements.

* 95% historical weapons and armor without a lot of fantastic embellishment.
* Tiling world map design.
* Randomly generated quests to take out bandits / retrieve random artifacts.
* CYOA pop-ups.
* Germanic city names & abstracted city representation.
* Largely anonymous party members with personalities defined by backgrounds and your play experiences.

I asked the devs about it and they hadn't even heard of the game prior to people bringing it up on their forums.

More people should hear about Darklands IMO.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Night10194 posted:

I got a Bowyer with 52 base ranged and 3 talent stars, but he's insecure and can never be Confident in battle.

Dude could be the greatest archer of the age but he's crippled with self doubt. Still definitely worth keeping, obviously.

I've got an archer like that and as long as I rally him at the start of the battle he just murders everything.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Snatch Duster posted:

P sure the devs are giant European history nerds and wanted to make a game to reflect that interest. Idk maybe I am wrong but that is what I get from their let's plays
Yeah the old Empire that the ancient dead are from is a pretty clear Roman Empire analogy, which fits the German feel of the game world because ancient Rome and Germanic tribes have a bit of a history, so to speak.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

John Charity Spring posted:

I've got an archer like that and as long as I rally him at the start of the battle he just murders everything.

All insecure does is make it impossible for the dude to get the confident modifier. Rally won't help

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

dogstile posted:

All insecure does is make it impossible for the dude to get the confident modifier. Rally won't help

Oh, I was thinking of Dastard, the one that makes them start at wavering.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
One of my few criticisms of the game is how the really fun gameplay relies on you getting to a critical mass of equipment and levels for your mercenaries where you can actually make more interesting decisions about what to do in combat. Perks such as recover, footwork and rotation should really be regular skills you can just use whenever, and balanced with the appropriate AP and fatigue costs.

Semi related pro tip, when you're skilling up mercs to use 2handers make sure that you get all the defensive perks first, rather than going straight for berserk and frenzy. You need to be able to tank like a champ in order to make proper use of the extra attacks anyway. It's kind of boring but I'd probably recommend for the most part not using 2handed weapons until your merc is at least level 8 so you can get reach advantage, underdog and battle forged (I'd strongly recommend waiting until level 9 so you can have footwork as well).

Lately I've beeen taking student on everyone and then taking both berserk and killing frenzy at level 11 with the extra perk.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 24, 2017

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, I've had the game for awhile.
Should I just wait for the game to officially 'come out' before I start another playthrough?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, I've had the game for awhile.
Should I just wait for the game to officially 'come out' before I start another playthrough?

If you haven't already, subscribe to the beta branch in steam and play through that. It is essentially the release version, possibly missing some soundtracks and a couple of bugfixes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nordick posted:

I dunno, the supporting guys will have to do significant armor damage to do health damage and cause injuries, and at that point what's your knife dude even doing there? Crippling strikes and Executioner sounds like a good combo for a knife guy.
i don't disagree. i simply mean to say that the knife fighter is probably better off taking something else (fast adaptation, adrenaline, maybe recover) and leaving crippling strikes for later. a polearm or a crossbow will inflict targeted injuries perfectly well for the knife user's benefit.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Coolguye posted:

i don't disagree. i simply mean to say that the knife fighter is probably better off taking something else (fast adaptation, adrenaline, maybe recover) and leaving crippling strikes for later. a polearm or a crossbow will inflict targeted injuries perfectly well for the knife user's benefit.

A leveled Crossbowman I could maybe see being worthwhile as a setup guy just because they're going to have like 70% armor piercing damage, but otherwise it doesn't make sense to shank somebody if you're not going all-in on it. Billhooks do a lot of damage to armor and are generally among your harder hitters, so unless it's a fight I'm completely steamrolling I'm not gonna be wasting his turns doing mostly armor damage to a guy I'm trying to stab, and I'm not building my company around optimizing the easy fights.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is it still worthwhile to buy lots of goods in villages and sell them all( along with your goblinite and other loot) in the biggest castle you can find?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

However he is right in saying it's not all Hams. Just the very most explicit stuff.

Which is why I explicitly stated that it was not all of it that was inspired by WHF, just some of it!

marshmallow creep posted:

More people should hear about Darklands IMO.

What is Darklands? Can someone poke me towards a good trailer or LP?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tias posted:

Microprose game from 1992. Some similarities to BB: Free open world, set up in Germany middle ages, combat is very dangerous, there is no (player) magic, only praying to Saints and Alchemy (which I wouldn't mind seeing in BB)...

Good game.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Tias posted:

Is it still worthwhile to buy lots of goods in villages and sell them all( along with your goblinite and other loot) in the biggest castle you can find?

Absolutely. If the route I'm taking happens to pass through villages with cheap goods, there's no reason not to stock up and sell them at the next castle. Trading is also good when recovering from injuries or if you can't find good contracts for the moment. You won't make that much money doing it but it can help cover wages and keep you afloat. Always be trading I say.

I think I was lucky with the current map I'm playing on though. All the cities are in a big circle and there are numerous trading villages right next to the castle cities for selling. So I can just wander the map in a big circle without going out of my way to find poo poo to sell.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The official launch trailer is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5_eSS-NTeU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
That's a new first tutorial combat? Makes more sense than being ambushed by three bandits.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's really kinda meh compared to the awesome announcement trailer.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i still think british peasant voice guy was a mistake. get an arnold impersonator to narrate that poo poo

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

RabidWeasel posted:

Semi related pro tip, when you're skilling up mercs to use 2handers make sure that you get all the defensive perks first, rather than going straight for berserk and frenzy. You need to be able to tank like a champ in order to make proper use of the extra attacks anyway. It's kind of boring but I'd probably recommend for the most part not using 2handed weapons until your merc is at least level 8 so you can get reach advantage, underdog and battle forged (I'd strongly recommend waiting until level 9 so you can have footwork as well).
Alternatively, get rotation as soon as you can. Have your 2h hang in the back and then rotate in when the front line did their attacks and chop a wounded dude down. Then chop again next round and rotate back. It's gonna burn a lot of fatigue but I'm in love with this for my early/mid game 2 hand dude

They probably didn't have a lot of budget/time to make something flashy but this trailer is sorta meh

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tin Tim posted:

They probably didn't have a lot of budget/time to make something flashy but this trailer is sorta meh

I mean they JUST made a much better trailer 2 weeks ago.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Lul the other trailer actually flew past me and yeah it's better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Tias posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun did a retrospective here:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/09/darklands-review/

I interviewed the lead designer, Arnold Hendrick, as part of an RPG Codex retrospective on Darklands:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8246