Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, Darklands sounds cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There was an on-going LP of it, but it doesn't look like it's been updated for a bit. It still goes over the setting and the basics though, to give you a taste:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803613

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Night10194 posted:

Man, Darklands sounds cool as hell.

It's a genuinely great game. All the magic is based on what people at the time believed -- i.e., witches from the Malleus Maleficarum that use baby fat in their spells, if you want to cast a priest spell you invoke a saint and the game has a catalog of 300+ actual catholic saints (i.e., Saint Sebastian for missile resistance, etc.), alchemy is based on period alchemical texts, so on so forth.

It's on GoG:

https://www.gog.com/game/darklands

Only thing to be aware of: one nasty bug that never got fixed:

quote:

There's also a nasty bug (at least in v.07 running in DOSBox) where any fire protection effects (Saint Polycarp, firewall potions, etc.) render your party permanently invulnerable to all strength damage (your party's natural "armor" is set equal to the fire protection armor, forever)

AFAIK that bug is current in all available versions

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 24, 2017

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This is a good game, and people should buy it. I've put maybe 30 hours into the beta, and have really enjoyed it.

The very start has a bit of a curve, but once you get going things tend to get smoother, at least until an orc berserker tears your head off.

I do wish you could see the stats of recruits before hire them up. Saving and reloading to check each recruit is kind of irritating. That is the main thing keeping me from going ironman.

I generally find I've had good luck with wild men, woodcutters, and brawlers as early recruits. In my first game I had a murderously good woodcutter, who I ended up giving an artifact 2h axe. He was a monster at beheading people. I just picked up this wildman, at level 1. He has the potential to go far.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I actually bought this waaaaay back when, because it looked awesome and I wanted to support the developer, but I've been holding off until it was a more complete experience to try it. Is it basically feature complete now?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The beta branch has been feature complete for a while. It is fully released now though, so now is a good time to dive in.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

:siren: FULL RELEASE IS OUT :siren:

quote:

It’s here and it’s done! We’re excited to see the finished Battle Brothers graduate from Early Access and be fully released today, on March 24th, 2017.

Creating this game together with you has been a long and rewarding adventure, and we’re very happy with what the game has grown to become. We hope you enjoy playing Battle Brothers as much as we enjoyed developing it – and given a successful launch, this won’t be the end of the road.

With the game’s release, the soundtrack is now also available as a separate DLC. If you’re the owner of the Deluxe or Supporter edition, it’ll be automatically delivered to you via Steam. The Art & Lore book will become available in the coming weeks.

Let’s celebrate this momentous occasion with our new story trailer for launch and final feature list of the Battle Brothers 1.0 release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5_eSS-NTeU

Features
Manage a medieval mercenary company in a procedurally generated open world.
Fight complex turn-based tactical battles with historical equipment and brutal injuries.
Permadeath. All characters that die in combat will stay dead – unless they return as the undead.
All characters come with their own background stories and traits. Want a stuttering ratcatcher, a greedy witch hunter or a drunkard disowned noble?
Character development without a restrictive class-system. Each character gains experience through combat, can level up and acquire powerful perks.
Equipment that matters. Different weapons grant unique skills – split shields with axes, stun enemies with maces, form a spearwall with spears or crush armor with a warhammer.
Diverse enemy roster. All enemies have unique equipment, skills and AI behavior.
A dynamic event system with atmospheric encounters and tough decisions outside of combat.
Three late game crises – a war between noble houses, a greenskin invasion and an undead scourge – add a looming threat along with new contracts, enemies and events.
Two full hours of orchestral soundtrack.
70 Steam Achievements and Steam Trading Cards

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Cool game. What do the difficulties do?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!
So doing my "archer heavy" game, would like some opinions

I'm hoping to ultimately be running 8 archers and 4 shield-bros in a full team.

The shield bros are dedicated to melee accuracy and spear-work and surviving. I count on the archers to deal most of my damage.

Archer build:
Equipment:
Best bow possible, and pocks full of extra arrows. Light armor.
Perks:
Pathfinder, Nine Lives, Gifted
Bow Mastery, Overwhelm, Adrenaline
Berserk, Fearsome, Bullseye
Killing Frenzy or Lone Wolf

Seem good? Nine Lives is the only defense perk I'll be taking, after that the main goal is to beeline for overwhelm and keep pumping up initiative and focus on a good offense being the best defense. 8 archers worth of concentrated overwhelm fire should provide all the ranged defense I need, I figure!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

KyloWinter posted:

Cool game. What do the difficulties do?

Start with less money, get less money, contracts get harder faster... I believe.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Tell me the interactions between the stats and weapons and how to build dudes with talents. I'm kinda just doing pathfinder for ranged dudes and colossus for dudes with stars on hp currently

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

KyloWinter posted:

Tell me the interactions between the stats and weapons and how to build dudes with talents. I'm kinda just doing pathfinder for ranged dudes and colossus for dudes with stars on hp currently

Fatigue is really important for anyone in the main line but much less so if you're using polearms. Quick hands is a useful one for flexibility on anyone, as is pathfinder actually. You should aim for Underdog and Reach Advantage on any two-handed weapon users.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I see the nerfed worn mail shirts a bit by buffing mail shirts slightly. They now have 115 armor instead of 110. Pretty reasonable change.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Motherfucking vampires! :argh:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Tin Tim posted:

:siren: FULL RELEASE IS OUT :siren:
Yay! :toot:

Now to bug everyone to buy the game. I really hope this game is successful, Overhype have certainly earned it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tin Tim posted:

Alternatively, get rotation as soon as you can. Have your 2h hang in the back and then rotate in when the front line did their attacks and chop a wounded dude down. Then chop again next round and rotate back. It's gonna burn a lot of fatigue but I'm in love with this for my early/mid game 2 hand dude

Yeah this works too but then you have rotation on your 2h guy, which is fine if you want to just have a couple, but I prefer to run with lots of 2handers tanking everything. There's no problem that can't be solved with a wall of big rear end swords.

Dreylad posted:

I see the nerfed worn mail shirts a bit by buffing mail shirts slightly. They now have 115 armor instead of 110. Pretty reasonable change.

Scale armour also got its fatigue penalty bumped up by -2. I honestly stopped using them for the most part since reinforced hauberks are half the price, and then you can jump straight from there to full scale.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Do beta saves work in the full release or am I gonna have to bid an early farewell the Forgotten Kings?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ShootaBoy posted:

Do beta saves work in the full release or am I gonna have to bid an early farewell the Forgotten Kings?

They work just fine, luckily.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I just found a potential recruit named Karl Cuckchild, bastard child of an adulterous queen.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Perk saving advice finding a guy with the always moves first trait (Quick or Impatient)is great on twohanders. It essentially gives you adrenaline rush perk without the fatigue hits

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honky Dong Country posted:

I just found a potential recruit named Karl Cuckchild, bastard child of an adulterous queen.

I found a bastard who got thrown out for loving his half sister.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think early on losing a guy to get a greatsword and a military cleaver is a good trade.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Night10194 posted:

I think early on losing a guy to get a greatsword and a military cleaver is a good trade.

Recruits are a lot cheaper than Greatswords, yeah.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jack2142 posted:

Perk saving advice finding a guy with the always moves first trait (Quick or Impatient)is great on twohanders. It essentially gives you adrenaline rush perk without the fatigue hits

Quick is better than Impatient, I think, because Impatient only works in the first round when I usually don't want to move first anyway.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Great game, awesome dev team. Glad it's finally out.

Also going to run a ranged heavy gimmick for release because of recent archery changes, the Robin Hood gang. Followed by an all daggers run, the Shank Squad.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I hired a troubadour who I keep out of the active roster. I heard some things in the old thread about guys with odd backgrounds like that producing interesting events. We'll see what happens with Rolf and his songs!

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Friendly advice: If you come across a man offering good times with some ladies for a good amount of money, decline his offer. But if you agree, accept to pay up the double amount for what happens next. The alternative is painful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would kill for a reboot of Myth: The Fallen Lords with combat like this game.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Night10194 posted:

I would kill for a reboot of Myth: The Fallen Lords with combat like this game.

I can think of a looooooooot of settings that could use almost the same mechanics as this.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Just give me a "Casualty" sound mod and I'll be golden.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One thing I really appreciate about this game that I don't see mentioned enough;

the fact that it uses a hexagonal combat map, rather than a simple grid of squares. Most tactical turn based RPG's that use grids use square grids and it leads to a lot of wonkiness with positioning and travel distances etc.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They also nerfed coat of scales by 2 more fatigue. Not sure if there are any more changes other than these very few small edits to armour and the music improvements (it sounds like they rejigged some tracks and where changed the music is generally a little more forceful)

As much as I really want to use 2handed hammers, setting up good AoE hits with the drat thing is so much harder than just waltzing up to the enemy's line and pressing split that it makes me not want to bother. I'll plan in future to use a couple of them on the flanks where it's easier to position them for AoE strikes, and then I can rotate them into the front vs. particularly heavy armour targets (which would be orc warriors since somehow in every single game I have played out of like 6 or 7 I have got the orc crisis)

I am really underwhelmed with how my archers have turned out though, rather than helping me kill the enemy's archers (which is impossible after about day 50 unless I want to go very ranged heavy, and the enemy usually starts with favourable terrain anyway) they suck up arrows like crazy and need babysitting in order to live. I feel totally vindicated for my usual strategy of eventually replacing all archers with more greatswords.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 24, 2017

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah this works too but then you have rotation on your 2h guy, which is fine if you want to just have a couple, but I prefer to run with lots of 2handers tanking everything. There's no problem that can't be solved with a wall of big rear end swords.

How do you deal with ranged enemies like goblins? Seems like they would shred a 2hander-heavy group. Or the noble house armies with all of their crossbows?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I gotta have ranged fighters. I usually use 6 guys up front with a mix of weapons and five on the back row, with polearms at the ends, so three archers/xbows. Between them and the polearms they do a fine job of weeding out unarmored/weakened dudes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Kenzie posted:

How do you deal with ranged enemies like goblins? Seems like they would shred a 2hander-heavy group. Or the noble house armies with all of their crossbows?

Rush the gently caress out of them, goblins are easy because of how fast split grinds through their meatshield. I have footwork on everyone so you can break through the lines (if you can't just make a big hole in the first round of combat) and the second you have 1 or 2 guys going to gently caress with their ranged units you totally remove them as a threat.

I am currently running 3 shieldbearers as well who generally stand up front and absorb arrows, I think that eventually with good enough recruits you can feasibly drop the shields but any unit without at least a decent amount of ranged defense will be mercilessly bullied by enemy archers. In my current game I have definitely made some mistakes with my builds but I've learnt a lot, most of my team is brawlers with really good talents which works out great for just melee but their weakness vs. range has been quite noticable, if only because of the huge difference between starting with 0 and 10+ ranged defense. I also need to get better at figuring out how much fatigue is enough since I have a tendancy to just keep pumping it up higher and higher.

Example of 'super brawler':

Once this guy is level 11 he will have ~85-90 melee attack, ~30 melee defense but only maybe 10-15 ranged def. A decent sellsword - even without talents - can expect to have roughly 80 melee attack and 30 melee defense but 20+ ranged defense (starts out at ~60-65/10/10 instead of ~50-55/0/0). There was definitely a phase in the early midgame where my guys couldn't hit gently caress all and this probably encouraged me to focus on recruits with good melee skill and defense while sacrificing ranged defense. I also underestimated how ranged heavy some enemy groups can be as at the time I hadn't yet seen the larger groups of goblins which are like 40% ambushers.

You can see the rear end in a top hat archer in reserve who kept having to run away and stand at the back on turn 2 or 3 of every fight because his initiative and ranged defense were too low to actually avoid being hit so he would be mostly dead all the time.

I have generally completely given up on polearms except as something to do with people who are too underdeveloped to tank properly. Greatswords do more armour damage than everything other than billhooks and have AoE as well. Polearms are fantastic in the early game though!

In defense of going 2h heavy: I think people who haven't tried this underestimate just how fast enemy morale will break when you're constantly smashing 2+ targets per turn per man for huge chunks of their HP. Although plenty of enemies have heavy armour, even the scarier groups have tons of chaff who will die in 1 or 2 GS hits, and the greatsword is absolutely the best weapon in the game for mowing these guys down. I've had a group of 20 goblins turn into about 3 remaining by turn 4 due to cascading morale breaks thanks to how hard and fast I am able to hit them (I was really lucky with being able to get a greatsword onto their archers very quickly though)

I frequently have orc warriors (which are mega scary before I hit critical mass of swords) break before I even hit them just from seeing their friends murdered. I don't know how morale works exactly but it's fairly obvious that single large hits are better at causing morale loss.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 25, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm using 3 archers and using them with crippling/overwhelm to suppress and break up enemy formations. It's working well even past day 60 but I need to get them warbows soon and I"m just not making enough money to make that happen, currently.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Weasel, what stats do you aim for on two hander Bros?

Also general question: am I correct in thinking that crossbows are the Spears of archery, basically an early game only option?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Weasel, what stats do you aim for on two hander Bros?

Also general question: am I correct in thinking that crossbows are the Spears of archery, basically an early game only option?

Crossbows are loving deadly because crossbow mastery increases their armour penetrating power, but in the hands of the player, I think that bows are almost certainly better most of the time due to their increased rate of fire and generally having soft targets to aim for. Once you have heavy armour xbows are much more threatening as long as you still have your armour intact; once your armour is weakened bows will gently caress you up.

I don't really have specific stats in mind, I take level ups as a matter of priority based on maximising stat gains in the useful stats (fatigue, melee skill and melee / ranged defense). I almost never take a +1 in any stat (haven't seen the need in many hours of play since the pre-release beta started, I don't recall prior to then) and will often pass up a +2 on fatigue if there's other useful options available. HP and morale get selected when the other rolls are poor and / or the unit has particularly bad HP or morale (I like to aim for 60hp and 45 morale, a bit more in both is preferable, about 65-70hp and 50 morale feels solid). Basically melee defense and attack are your top priorities due to the way RA works, the more you hit and the higher your base melee defense the bigger the benefit you gain. Then you need as much rdef you can scrape together while also having good enough fatigue (which for most recruits also means 'as much as you can get') - I like to have about 70 fatigue minimum fully equipped.

Veteran levels are basically slam picked +1 melee attack / defense / ranged defense.

I just want to shout out to the cocky trait gently caress you because I had 2 otherwise amazing recruits early on in my current game who ended up being way shittier than they would have been. One of them is still one of my best tanks in spite of it. This is secretly one of the most annoying traits in the game and I don't even remember having any fun events associated with it.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

So doing my "archer heavy" game, would like some opinions
I assume you aren't playing a game where Undead Apocalypse is a possibility, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
This game has a pretty good soundtrack. Some of the tracks are reminiscent of the CK2 soundtrack which is also good.