Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I think a lot of people overvalue stars over starting stat amounts too. Some of my best game late-game bros may have only had one or two stars in MAtk or MDef but had starting values of 62+ for MAttk or 10+ for MDef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Yeah it’s what they can get to in a stat by level 11 that counts.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
I’ve seen plenty of 3x 3* bros but it’s all on poo poo like beggars who by level 11 would only be considered an average bro

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

The Lord Bude posted:

Black monolith with no deaths is actually pretty comfy if you’re playing peasants and you have all expansions (back in the days of beasts and explorations it took me about 30 hours of attempts to manage it, but it’s much easier now both with what I know about the game and also new stuff like guns; the last run I did I got it first try, albeit with a permanent injury on one man) but I’d hate to try for no deaths with a 12 man company.

Swordlancers and gunners are your friends. Both can apply overwhelm which makes a huge difference in ancient dead fights, gunners are fantastic against the multi row deep swarms; and swordlancers can be hopped up on shrooms to maximise damage.

Throwing axes do shitloads of damage vs ancient dead - give your throwers a heavy sling for when they run out of axes. Having proper long range weapons will change how the enemy AI works and you’ll find the priests won’t hang way back like they normally do.

Spend the first couple of rounds forming your men into a ball with swordlancers and ranged units in the middle and melee dudes completely surrounding them - you’ll be encircled completely but your squishy guys will be safe.

I've been trying to figure out the ball configuration, but I can't get more than like 5 guys in the center of the ball unless you leave some holes in the back or find a rock or three, and then you can get like 7 which is cool. Do you just retreat to find some rocks or how do you make a good ball?

Also watching that video, he has 4 holy waters, which idk how he expects you to reliably get more than 3, but I kinda get the high tempo approach he takes, and he uses tanks really effectively but those are definitely some top tier 2 handers he has, just above acceptable for attack but every other stat superb. Like 125 HP and 70 useable fatigue without brawny, really? I wish I could consistently get the necrosavants to charge early though, not sure how he does it, but I'd hate to have to get a bunch of throwers to 80 matk just for the 1 fight you need more 60 and a spear for flankers, although I guess in most fights they'd have polearms rather than picking them up later which was cool to see. The Northern wardogs make kind of a difference too, guess if I want to speedrun monolith I should be checking for Northern kennels.

I think a lot of approaches like this to fights involve 65+ resolve tanks with 70+ mdef sitting there popping indom for 8+ turns and that's a bit ridic imo, even with ancient undead lacking flanking AI behavior. I felt like I was cheesing it a bit sending a guy off to die after 5-6 turns.

For my recent runs I've also moved off my old stand-by of shield mace frontliners to hold dudes in position and hopefully make dudes drop shieldwall while hitting 45+ mdef for survivability, and moved more toward 2-3 hammer tanks, which are pretty much the same thing except with hammers to really knock down guys with armor and I've noticed that destroy armor+indom into rest lets you keep indom up the whole time against orcs pretty reliably and really wrecks warriors if you can get a hammer tank into 2-3 of them. I wonder what specific numbers you need to do that with chosen, I know someone on reddit did it at some point with a dodge tank and having different sets of armor so he could indom cycle with different enemies but that seems like a ton of work.

Edit: Also the one thing I would still do if I was playing on ironman is recruit cheese at least higher tier bros, spending 4k+ on a mediocre dude because he has a handaxe, chainmail, and a 40% chance of being useable is a bad gamble imo. Tbh it'd be easiest to play peasants without it because past day 40 you can just effortlessly clear out a town for peanuts finding the cream of the crop. I actually tend to have 2 phases of my game, first one where I take decent bros and build a few bad ones with rotation and dodge to be as tanky as possible and then give them nimble if they make it to 7 and name useable guys, and a second where I go around and recruit good bros to fill roles I still need and generally they don't start hitting level 11 until 25+ days after early recruits which can make some day 50-70 fights kinda awkward.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 4, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

First up; I’m doing the ball with a 16 man company. The trick is to take fewer back liners, and extra front liners - It’s been ages since I’ve done it but iirc you take enough front line bros to completely fill the front line plus 2 more that can just sit in the back row for starting purposes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://x.com/overhypestudios/status/1693596862970744984?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Edit: gently caress do these things no longer embed because it’s X now? gently caress you Elon.

quote:

We're excited to announce our new game - MENACE. Lead a strike force against an alien threat in this turn-based tactical RPG. Answer distress calls across worlds, train & equip infantry, field tanks & mechs, plan out missions & execute them in battles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chk6Wsn0Rd4

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2432860/MENACE/

Anno fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 21, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So, XCOM?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hell yeah, that looks like it could be very cool

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i will buy whatever these guys make

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Looks like it's a bit more sci-fi than XCOM. The game description says it's set in a distant outer rim style lawless solar system and you control a cruiser full of marines who have to respond to an alien invasion of the star system while navigating relationships with the different human factions, etc. Obviously XCOM inspired but I like the idea of a strategy layer involving a whole solar system.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm a little worried about the lack of visual clarity.

In BB i can glance at the screen and get so much information. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am super down for these guys' take on an X-COM type game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I was curious to what degree they would keep Battle Brothers' extremely high level of procedural generation, and this is what I found on the Steam page:

quote:

With procedurally generated multi-mission operations and battle maps, alongside a big selection of characters and countless equipment options, every run of MENACE plays different from the last. Find yourself face to face with a seemingly insurmountable challenge that takes on multiple forms across playthroughs, and put your strategic and tactical prowess to the test in new ways each time.

To me that sounds like the star system strategic map and factions will likely be the same from game to game, and that the characters and equipment are premade but with large variety that's added to games randomly, but that the tactical missions and the maps you play them on will be procedurally generated. So, not quite as varied from playthrough to playthrough as Battle Brothers, but still randomized so that you won't be playing the same maps constantly like in XCOM. The game description also makes it sound like individual missions will have big effects on the strategic layer, so presumably the randomly generated missions will mean the strategy layer diverging a lot from game to game, kinda like how Paradox games start you in a preset position but then immediately diverge based on events.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm hella ready for this.

The bit about the different squad leaders with their different personalities and relationships reads to me like they've taken some pages from the Jagged Alliance playbook, too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This doesn’t appeal as much as battle brothers did, but I’d still play it. I enjoyed the X-Com reboot games, and overhype know how to make a fun game, but sci fi settings aren’t as interesting to me as medieval and it looks so visually generic now that they’ve moved to a 3d engine. A huge part of the appeal of battle brothers is the unique 2d art

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I was hoping their follow up game was just battle bros, but improved, bigger and better. I am interested to see what they come up with though

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Anno posted:

https://x.com/overhypestudios/status/1693596862970744984?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Edit: gently caress do these things no longer embed because it’s X now? gently caress you Elon.

https://twitter.com/overhypestudios/status/1693596862970744984?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

x.com works??? Just use twitter, it still works too. But yeah it'll break the embed if you use "x.com" since the code for the forums is probably specifically looking for "twitter.com"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trillhouse posted:

i will buy whatever these guys make

yeah this, between battle brothers being just phenomenal out of the box and them providing way more post-launch stuff than i ever expected, they're one of the few studios that's a day one purchase sight unseen

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I have probably close to 1500 hours in BB by now so yeah, easy wishlist + day 1 buy for me as well.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To me it looks like the Battle Brother devs played Battle Tech: the scale, the 3d models, and the lack of visual clarity. Battle Tech really isn't a game that conveys much at a glance, until you layer in a bunch of UI elements.

Like, without the UI this conveys aproximately nothing:

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
If memory serves, they did abandon BB for a long while after 1.0 / a couple of small hotfixes, complete with a "we're done, no more support" announcement, which upset the community quite a bit and spurred some of the bigger mods to start. The long tail of sales made enough for them to come back and do the expansions which was a pleasant surprise.

Not that there's a huge amount to go on yet, but the trailers and store page for Meance give me strong vibes of Epic 40k / Final Liberation, with hints of an old game nobody played called War Monkeys which was buggy as poo poo. Warmonkeys did the "here's six hundred marines with persistent xp on a spaceship for your entire campaign, now go fight a ground war against rebels and aliens" thing back around 2001ish.

(Other things that game was notable for: being one of the first 3d real-time strategy games to let you switch to direct overhead control of individual units - possibly predating the men of war series, one of the units being an extremely powerful tractor/bulldozer, and the most... bizarrely late 90s intro video / voice acting / music combination I've ever seen)

Also reminds me of a tabletop game called Dirtside, which was similar to Epic 40k (or whatever they were calling it back in the day - Titan Legions or Space Marine Epic or something) but focused on a more contemporary sort of scifi along the vietnam style of conflict with lots of rules for detection, morale, and differentiating casualties between dead and wounded instead of super force fields and city sized robots. Based loosely on the Hammer's Slammers schlocky books of the early 1980s, I think.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kinda hate the term 'abandoned' for 'the game is finished and feature complete and we want to work on something new'.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it's good- i like the concept of stepping up in scale beyond individuals as units and getting to fire teams and vehicles as the units, which is something smart. More Advanced Squad LEader-scale.

I also don't mind the UI being heavy-handed.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Night10194 posted:

I kinda hate the term 'abandoned' for 'the game is finished and feature complete and we want to work on something new'.

"Must work on a game you 100% completed, eternally."
Yeah it bugs me, too, in much the same way that a lot of toxic workplaces expect you to be reachable 24/7 especially including in your off-time despite zero lives being on the line. The #grindset can't die off soon enough, as well as the idea that a finished game is "abandoned."

Back on track, Menace looks pretty dang sweet.
Maybe I missed something but I'm hoping it's turn based like BB and xcom, because that's the kind of tactics games I like.
I like building bases in RTS games like command and conquer or StarCraft and kind of disliked the no base building missions with just a squad. If I want that experience, I'll just get Aliens Dark Descent sooner.

Either way it's a day 1 purchase for me as well.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

chainchompz posted:

"Must work on a game you 100% completed, eternally."
Yeah it bugs me, too, in much the same way that a lot of toxic workplaces expect you to be reachable 24/7 especially including in your off-time despite zero lives being on the line. The #grindset can't die off soon enough, as well as the idea that a finished game is "abandoned."

Back on track, Menace looks pretty dang sweet.
Maybe I missed something but I'm hoping it's turn based like BB and xcom, because that's the kind of tactics games I like.
I like building bases in RTS games like command and conquer or StarCraft and kind of disliked the no base building missions with just a squad. If I want that experience, I'll just get Aliens Dark Descent sooner.

Either way it's a day 1 purchase for me as well.

It's turn-based, they've been pretty explicit about that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know if Battle Brothers was buggy or something at release and only patched up to the stable play state I've always known it to have. A bad release you don't follow up on is the only thing I'd really be mad about.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Battle brothers was a great game on release but it became so much better with the expansions that it would have been a tragedy had they not made them.

I don’t think games should be added to forever (unless it’s the type of game where that is the business model like an MMO) but if a game is popular expansions seem like a pretty great idea.

I’m also super miffed they ported to switch but never did any kind of release for iPad or MacOS. Battle brothers on iPad would sell shitloads and it would be one of the all time best games available for the platform.

Edit: to compare to another well known indie game; Stardew valley was the top selling game on steam the year it came out; yet I’m quite confident most the money that guy made came from releasing it on ipad/consoles etc.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
why do these tactics/strategy games always try to do terrible 3d when the previous game was beautiful, crisp and clear 2d sprites

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

why do these tactics/strategy games always try to do terrible 3d when the previous game was beautiful, crisp and clear 2d sprites

Tell me about it; not everything needs to be 3D, some genres work just as well or better in 2d.

Also a small studio with limited resources can make amazing 2d art; when they try to go 3D it ends up looking generic and cheap.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I don’t like the graphics, but I like the devs and I loved Battle Bros so yeah, day 1 purchase.

Also I do like the art direction - they nailed the Aliens style.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

UP AND ADAM posted:

Because it's much, much, much cheaper at scale. I hate it too, though.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah love it or hate it there are a lot of tools for 3D art that makes it a ton easier to create. when you need minor changes it's just easier to update

plus it's perfectly valid for a team to want to flex other skills. like have ya'll never wanted to try to do something different?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oh don’t get me wrong I’m probably going to end up getting it eventually, although my gaming calendar is pretty much booked out for the foreseeable future with BG3, songs of conquest and Cities Skylines 2

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think what happened is the Battle Bros devs spent a bunch of time playing Battletech and thought "this is awesome, how could we make a game like this?" and you know what, fair play to them because if I were a game dev making tactical turn-based games I'd probably have the exact same thought at some point in the 500 hours I spent playing Battletech.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
This guy posted an interesting video on how to cheese the early game and get lots of $$ and famed items.

Basic gist is you attack a city state caravan and then use the angry guards to train into enemy camps, then retreat and defeat the camps that only have one or two enemies left.

A weird quirk of the ally system is if you bring a hostile city state force around a friendly city state force, then the friendlies will also begin chasing you. But since they're friendly you'll start dragging them into fights on your side.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I thought this game couldn't surprise me much anymore, but I have been doing my first ever Peasant Militia run, just to break my addiction to hunting the most elite bros to recruit, and play with some new formats, moving away from Nimble tempo frontliners and hybrid duelists, and trying out a lot of backline polearm/crossbow hybrids and frontline axe or mace and crossbow hybrids. Those aren't the only builds I'm using, I still have a couple of tanks, some normal battleforged frontline guys (both fatigue neutral and full-fat) and two sergeants. But playing a crossbow and pike phalanx is amusingly different.

Anyway the surprise is that I took a 3-star goblin camp contract, for 3k+ which seemed a bargain. This is just after the crisis has been announced, my guys are in just better than raider gear, with top tier weapons, I am looking to get that sweet armour off the noble houses. Basically I ran into 31 goblins, with ambush deployment! Thank god I had 8 dogs amongst my 16 guys. I lost one guy, at the very end of the fight to the spiteful goblin champion's pike - he was the last green deviant fighting.

This is such a great game. I am definitely game to try their XCom-alike.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

vyelkin posted:

I have close to 1000 hours in this game and I've never bothered with the kraken. I think I've done the monolith once and the sunken library once.

I'm reaching 1600 hours and I've never had any of the special locations except maybe the goblin town. Leveling up to that level and getting the correct gear is too hard because I'm a math challenged baby. Jealous, but not going to bother anymore I think

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 20, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yea I’ve never been bothered with the kraken. Generally do the others every run though; but the kraken is just so far removed from the normal experience of how the game plays that I just cannot be hosed.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Anyone else still playing?

I decided to start a new run and I'm hooked all over again.

Turned off the rather cheaty try out mod and decided to just play with trash bros. Turns out stats don't really matter and the early power perks more than make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I've not gotten all my play out of BB, but other games have got my attention right now. I still want to do a complete cultist run.