Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

GloomMouse posted:

Are there actually different damage types (blunt, pierce, slash), or is it just flavor text?

Yeah and the different types of weapons cause different types of injuries as well. So you can cut someone's arteries with a slashing weapon, break bones with blunt weapons and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The 10 Brigand Marksman enemy company has very little chance of beating my company, but they certainly like to hurt a lot of my men or focus down one of my archers before I kill them all.

Enemy archers seem to have absolutely no problem shooting past a blocked line of sight to hit my own ranged troops. I didn't think Bullseye actually provided that much of a bonus, though I assume they have it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they do, but part of it is confirmation bias. they will shoot at your archers, but the times they miss you will frequently see a shield on the shield line take the arrow, as opposed to the arrow simply missing. this implies that the shield-bearer was the one targeted, but i can guarantee you that he was not.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suppose part of it is also the player and AI just having different priorities. Their goal is to kill at least one of my men so that I lose something, after all. And there's never going to be a situation where I have 10 archers to fire directly at the backline with the philosophy of 'if it scatters into that archer's 'cover' then fine (I'll take 'blocked' shots where all the blockages are enemies pretty often, myself)' so I won't get to see like 15 assorted crossbow/bow attacks in one turn on my side.

Just sucked that I lost a man with 3 ranged stars who was level 6. At least I found a similarly absurdly talented hunter to replace him. And at least it wasn't my incredibly good bowyer with his 78% ranged.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CommissarMega posted:

I think one of the devs said recently [the difficulty of the things you find in the world is] just time-based.

I have a distinct suspicion that it also has something to do with whether you leave enemy camps unmolested. The part of the world I've been hanging out in in my no-crises game (look, I don't want to have to deal with loving orcs burning half the loving known world by day 250) is largely pretty tame for like day 70, while the far northwest is a hellscape of goblins and the northeast has a suspiciously higher rate of large brigand gangs.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 26, 2017

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

According to a developer interview I watched it is based off the wealth/power of your company and the date, so if you dick around with three beggers using knives for 100+ days then the end crisis will still come for you, but it will take longer than if you have a platoon of knights.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Night10194 posted:

The 10 Brigand Marksman enemy company has very little chance of beating my company, but they certainly like to hurt a lot of my men or focus down one of my archers before I kill them all.

Enemy archers seem to have absolutely no problem shooting past a blocked line of sight to hit my own ranged troops. I didn't think Bullseye actually provided that much of a bonus, though I assume they have it.

Your front line only blocks arrows if they're on the tile immediately in front of your archers/back line, if there's even a single tile gap there is no accuracy penalty.

I assume enemy archers also get the perk that reduces the "Blocked LoS" penalty from 50% to 25%

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Your front line only blocks arrows if they're on the tile immediately in front of your archers/back line, if there's even a single tile gap there is no accuracy penalty.

I assume enemy archers also get the perk that reduces the "Blocked LoS" penalty from 50% to 25%

They are, is the thing. I generally advance in formation when under fire like that.

I'm also going to start swapping my two-hander's greatsword for a sword and shield if I know I'm up against that many marksmen in the future. The AI, much like me, really likes shooting anyone with a big weapon and no shield for obvious and sensible reasons.

Honestly, the AI is actually pretty decent in this game.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Holy hell the missions for the noble war are no joke. The two skull war camp mission leads to fighting half a dozen zweihanders which are scary as hell. And my noble allies don't start the battle with any which means their frontlines get slaughtered. I might have to run away from this one.

knight hats are cool as gently caress

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 26, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh btw I've figured out how to hack your dude's starting traits

There's a decent (if obviously written by a non english speaker) guide on Steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=598903989

Basically you take off all your gear, save, then open up the save file in a hex editor.

look for the four-character strings in your bro's descriptions that match the list in that guide and/or are between an "00" block and a "13 c3 03 58" block

replace them with the strings listed

#noshame

Theoretically you can use this to hack your dudes to high holy hell but adding more traits than they start with "naturally" or changing star values is complicated and not coming through the english barrier there.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 26, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Now that the game has launched I hope someone can put together an editor or modding tool. I remember reading that an editor existed for version .7 or something but nothing since.

Do strongholds count towards patrols yet? I know they didn't use to, but I just found one basically right off a major highway and man would those heads be nice to have.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Now that the game has launched I hope someone can put together an editor or modding tool. I remember reading that an editor existed for version .7 or something but nothing since.

Do strongholds count towards patrols yet? I know they didn't use to, but I just found one basically right off a major highway and man would those heads be nice to have.

Yes, kills from strongholds/ruins count for patrols now!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Do peasants count, though? :getin:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh btw I've figured out how to hack your dude's starting traits

There's a decent (if obviously written by a non english speaker) guide on Steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=598903989

Basically you take off all your gear, save, then open up the save file in a hex editor.

look for the four-character strings in your bro's descriptions that match the list in that guide and/or are between an "00" block and a "13 c3 03 58" block

replace them with the strings listed

#noshame

Theoretically you can use this to hack your dudes to high holy hell but adding more traits than they start with "naturally" or changing star values is complicated and not coming through the english barrier there.

You can also use this to change your perk points pretty easily, even in between level-ups. In the absence of mod tools, I might use that to ensure I still get perks past 11. Maybe once every other level or something? I dunno

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Soup du Journey posted:

You can also use this to change your perk points pretty easily, even in between level-ups. In the absence of mod tools, I might use that to ensure I still get perks past 11. Maybe once every other level or something? I dunno

Oh lord. I'd need the codes for each perk to do that -- I'm not some hex wizard here!

This does raise the question of what perks are the "ideal" for each of your three starting guys.

Right now I'm leaning:

Dextrous + Sure Footed, Iron Lung + Strong, Eagle Eye+ Quick, but it's a tough call. Especially for the ranged guy it's tempting to go impatient / tiny instead. Or quick + tiny for max defensive boost.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
impatient only works on the first round of the fight, which is almost never helpful. it is not applicable in subsequent rounds.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh lord. I'd need the codes for each perk to do that -- I'm not some hex wizard here!
Not at all, you just gotta find the field for where perk points are stored and change it from 0 to however many you'd like. I tried it last night, based on the info in that guide, and it worked fine

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Coolguye posted:

impatient only works on the first round of the fight, which is almost never helpful. it is not applicable in subsequent rounds.

It can be nice on a really skilled ranged dude though. Starting off the battle with a dead enemy marksman is good.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

What's the best way to find unique items? I've set that as my ambition, and I've been wandering around destroying any camp/ruins/necromancer's base I can find but so far no luck.

I've also had a tailor in my band and four wolf pelts for about a hundred years, but so far he hasn't stitched any together.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Walh Hara posted:

Yes, kills from strongholds/ruins count for patrols now!

I noticed this as well, a strange change as they specifically fixed this from being the case before, but perhaps with the new cap on no. of heads they felt that it was balanced. It makes patrol missions a lot more rewarding when you can go raze camps if needed.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Count Mippipopolous posted:

What's the best way to find unique items? I've set that as my ambition, and I've been wandering around destroying any camp/ruins/necromancer's base I can find but so far no luck.

I've also had a tailor in my band and four wolf pelts for about a hundred years, but so far he hasn't stitched any together.

Go further and further away from civilization and fight whatever's out there. That's what the game will tell you, anyway. Easier way is to save up money and buy a legendary item when you find one in a shop.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Tavern keepers will tip you off about the location of legendary items. It is worth paying them a visit once you are at that stage.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I fought a rival mercenary band with a Hedge Knight leading them, who proceeded to one shot one of my brothers before I took him down. It turns out that he was wielding a legendary 2 handed Axe, with a minimum damage one below the MAXIMUM of a regular greataxe :stare:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ZoninSilver posted:

I fought a rival mercenary band with a Hedge Knight leading them, who proceeded to one shot one of my brothers before I took him down. It turns out that he was wielding a legendary 2 handed Axe, with a minimum damage one below the MAXIMUM of a regular greataxe :stare:

loving hell. Now that's something I need in my life.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Spakstik posted:

Go further and further away from civilization and fight whatever's out there. That's what the game will tell you, anyway. Easier way is to save up money and buy a legendary item when you find one in a shop.

Well I followed this advice and went out to the huge uncharted quarter of the map. I lost one of my best men clearing out a cave of orcs, and half the band fell sick going through a bog, but I found a base I had never seen before at the very edge: A black monolith.

It was guarded by 47 ancient dead and some other horrible things I had never seen before. I barely escaped, and with low supplies I'm trying to make it back to civilization. I guess I'll go back to more regular work and build up my strength before I go back out there.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Well I followed this advice and went out to the huge uncharted quarter of the map. I lost one of my best men clearing out a cave of orcs, and half the band fell sick going through a bog, but I found a base I had never seen before at the very edge: A black monolith.

It was guarded by 47 ancient dead and some other horrible things I had never seen before. I barely escaped, and with low supplies I'm trying to make it back to civilization. I guess I'll go back to more regular work and build up my strength before I go back out there.

There is an achievement for claiming whatever is inside the Black Monolith. That is all I know.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Okay, hadn't had this one:

I'm sad I had to retire Reinhold, but at least he gave me this moment.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

Okay, hadn't had this one:

I'm sad I had to retire Reinhold, but at least he gave me this moment.

I'm glad Siegward liked it too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Arg, what to do with this guy:

Fearless and Optimist, two stars in resolve, but. . three stars in archery!

Bannerman or archer? Is it worth trying to pump that low bow stat?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

With a bow stat like that? Bannerman.

I got a 60 base resolve, 2 star cultist. Well, 50 base, then Fearless. Dude is never letting go of that goddamn banner.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Does the +25% resolve perk only affect your current amount of resolve when you pick the perk, or does it apply to future investments in the resolve skill too?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I would be shocked if it did not apply to future investments.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Hooray for another difficult and costly victory wherein I forget to press the button to actually pick up all my hard-earned loot and just leave it all on the ground instead.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Finding good archers is incredible difficult. It is by far the biggest challenge of my attempts at a ranged focus run.

In order to have someone that starts with the general stats of the shittiest melee recruit, you need to hire a Bowyer, Poacher, or Hunter. Which, since they always come with equipment, is expensive as hell.

And then, they need to actually be good, which is hardly guaranteed, and then it's really nice if they have a goddamn star or two in ranged combat, which they almost never do!

I hired two hunters in a row with 60 melee stat and 2-3 stars though. Whoo, I guess, if I needed more damned frontliners?

fibblins posted:

Hooray for another difficult and costly victory wherein I forget to press the button to actually pick up all my hard-earned loot and just leave it all on the ground instead.

First thing you should do when opening the game is change the setting to autoloot

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Or when you finally find the stats you want but he's a craven dastard.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Speaking of archers. Started a new game yesterday with the goal to build a strong ranged company this time and blew most of my starting funds on a hunter. Got lucky....

Started with 57 in ranged if I remember correctly....he will be monstrous, if he lives. And I'm only on day 14 now.

Kinda funny that he would also have made a really good melee fighter.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 27, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got a Raider who, after the first two levels he started with, already had a 74% melee skill. He's got 3 in melee, 2 in defense.

Egan is going to be goddamn awesome. I'm sorry, dude who died so I could get a greatsword and military cleaver, the 3000 crown raider I hired to replace you is better than you ever would've been. Even has good resolve and fatigue!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I was cursing my archer for ingame months because he seemed to miss constantly despite good archery stats but I put it up to confirmation bias. I finally bought him a better bow and as I was swapping it out saw that his existing bow wasn't the base one but a "wonky" one with an accuracy penalty the whole time. I'm going to get all of these men killed

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RIP Raban one my starting bro's you died fighting a noble in 1v1 combat during a siege and in doing so helped the company earn 7000 crowns.

Also the banner bro guy, I would level up his archery too since he is gonna sit in the backline anyway might as well plink the enemy while they close...

I actually found a squire with 60ish base melee and two archery stars and got him up to 90 ranged at level 11 so with his warbow he guns down dozens of guys till they close and he pokes them to death.

Bastards I found are really good recruits too minus bad resolve, which isn't a problem except vs geists so I rotate them out for those battles.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

With 90 ranged why not just continue using the warbow?