Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

GlyphGryph posted:

With 90 ranged why not just continue using the warbow?

Mostly because once they close sometimes I want the resolve bonus once my line starts taking hits, I actually roll with a pretty resolve poor lineup, Geists are bad news for my band, however luckily at the time I had a pair of witchunters that never broke and finished off the geists before the situation collapse.

Also until recently my campaign has revolved around fighting undead, so against the skele spam the warbow was pretty useless except at taking down armor as the enemy closed.

Also double handed war hammers are murder beasts against noble house armies.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Night10194 posted:

With a bow stat like that? Bannerman.

I got a 60 base resolve, 2 star cultist. Well, 50 base, then Fearless. Dude is never letting go of that goddamn banner.

Wait. Do the polearms use your ranged skill and not the melee skill?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

KyloWinter posted:

Wait. Do the polearms use your ranged skill and not the melee skill?

No, I meant the guy has a base 36, so those talent stars won't make up the difference between him and say, someone who started with a 50.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ZoninSilver posted:

I fought a rival mercenary band with a Hedge Knight leading them, who proceeded to one shot one of my brothers before I took him down. It turns out that he was wielding a legendary 2 handed Axe, with a minimum damage one below the MAXIMUM of a regular greataxe :stare:

COME AT ME IF YOU THINK YOU'RE 'ARD ENOUGH!

Edit: give it to someone with the "all applicable kills are decapitations" trait and blot out the sun with flying heads.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 27, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
thoughts on the Khopesh? Found one and it looks awesome but not sure how best to use.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

thoughts on the Khopesh? Found one and it looks awesome but not sure how best to use.

Unless you're in endgame territory and can make duelists there's not much you can do with 1handed weapons beyond just sticking them on a shield dude.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

game needs more surcoats imo. the noble houses get them, why can't my cool rear end high level mercenary company get some too????

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
They're good at that, though, decent damage, pen and a cleaver!

Aw, man, I love the level of class hatred in this game. I didn't think to snap a pic, but I was chasing some thieves who met with a necromancer, and my band was all "maybe they're using the item to curse the councilman. In a certain light, that's not bad at all.. buuut, he's paying us to get it back, charge!" :D

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arg, what to do with this guy:

Fearless and Optimist, two stars in resolve, but. . three stars in archery!

Bannerman or archer? Is it worth trying to pump that low bow stat?

Just do bannerman dude. That 55 melee at level 2 is plenty good enough.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, it's a bit disconcerting to see you all planning out your guys' roles in such detail. Currently my recruitment strategy boils down to "Do you ask for less than 200 gold up front? Congratulations, you're in. Here's a spear and shield, if you're still alive two weeks from now we'll see about upgrading you with whatever stuff we've got lying about." :ohdear:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, I've got the tailor, I've got ten stacks of direwolf hides, what does it take for this direwolf hide armor event to proc?

I suppose what I'm really asking is: Does the game only check for events randomly day to day, and if your roll says "no event" it doesn't matter that you have all the possibles in place? Or does it constantly scan for events and when it sees the right triggers it procs the event?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

marshmallow creep posted:

Okay, I've got the tailor, I've got ten stacks of direwolf hides, what does it take for this direwolf hide armor event to proc?

I suppose what I'm really asking is: Does the game only check for events randomly day to day, and if your roll says "no event" it doesn't matter that you have all the possibles in place? Or does it constantly scan for events and when it sees the right triggers it procs the event?

Not sure of the exact mechanics but it's closer to the former than the latter. You're not guaranteed to get an event happen when the conditions are met; just got to wait and see.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Best way to get wolf armor is reroll the town terrorized event till you get raiders, then go full dagger / flail party.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Playing without Ironman is blasphemy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think at this point my men have stopped questioning why I'm carrying a unit of quality lumber everywhere I go, waving it meaningfully in the incredibly talented Bowyer's face every time we stop to camp as I try to tempt him towards a masterwork.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Dumb question but since some guys are recruited with titles (and those can be changed) is it possible for guys to earn them through the game, or are they all manually given (by deciding Brother SomeScrub got robusted enough to warrant one?)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Innerguard posted:

Dumb question but since some guys are recruited with titles (and those can be changed) is it possible for guys to earn them through the game, or are they all manually given (by deciding Brother SomeScrub got robusted enough to warrant one?)

Yeah, off the top of my head fulfilling the Sergeant ambition turns the dude you give the perk to into, well, [Name] the Sergeant.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Best way to get wolf armor is reroll the town terrorized event till you get raiders, then go full dagger / flail party.

Yeah I got two hide and two mail direwolf sets from that event once. I suppose I might try rerolling. Does the "reroll" apply when you take the contract or when you start the fight?

It's starting to look like my end-game crisis is going to be greenskins. Most of my guys are still averaging 4 or 5, but I've got some strong guys now and my best are level 9. I can handle the greenskin contracts I've been getting, but I'm worried the crisis is going to be too much. :ohdear:

edit: I hired on the tailor to try and get the direwolf set, but in the time I've been waiting to get this event he went into the field and got brain damage. This wouldn't be so darkly comic except his backstory explicitly calls out his mathematical genius. I guess it wasn't so smart to join a merc outfit, was it!

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 27, 2017

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

I would ironman it up if I could only view recruit stats before putting down the cash. I think that counts for more of my reloads than anything else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Yeah I got two hide and two mail direwolf sets from that event once. I suppose I might try rerolling. Does the "reroll" apply when you take the contract or when you start the fight?

It's starting to look like my end-game crisis is going to be greenskins. Most of my guys are still averaging 4 or 5, but I've got some strong guys now and my best are level 9. I can handle the greenskin contracts I've been getting, but I'm worried the crisis is going to be too much. :ohdear:

edit: I hired on the tailor to try and get the direwolf set, but in the time I've been waiting to get this event he went into the field and got brain damage. This wouldn't be so darkly comic except his backstory explicitly calls out his mathematical genius. I guess it wasn't so smart to join a merc outfit, was it!

Brain damage makes for great bannermen, it's not that bad a trait really

Reroll is when you take the contract, save just before.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Endgame crisis is going weird for me since i have the undead one but i'm getting way, way more greenskins contracts, and the only undead ones i get tend to be 'retrieve the relic'. Which is a shame b/c i actually like fighting undead a lot.

Also i think i hit a bug? where almost every town just turned into a particular faction, so now there are like a dozen of one faction and 3 of another, and a single town of something else

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm really appreciating the good stats of more expensive people. Spent 3000 on a lv 3 raider and he came with 70 melee attack and 120 fatigue (prestats). Followed it up with a 1000 wildman and he came at level 2 with 55 melee and 120 fatigue (prestat increase).

E: No I hadn't just lost really good high level brothers why do you ask.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I just realized you can sabotage spearwalls by dropping a doggo in front of the spear user! It works just like footwork or zombie rise, negating the spearwall from then on.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 27, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
holy lol i can't believe i've never tried that.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there a console command that reveals the whole map? Muggins here was a moron who picked the 'see every town' Ambition :saddowns:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Today on Maury: Is Gifted a trap perk for our nation's mercenaries?

It seems like a solid choice for your forgettable shitbirds, but if you've got a NICE!!! bro who's gonna be foreverially employed, with fully RA'd sword, permanent battle forged armor, etc etc, then the stats you gain from Gifted are worth like 3-4 levels past 11, which is cool, but the opportunity cost is a perk slot, and you only ever get like 10 of those.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I think I'd actually take Student over Gifted, because you'll get the same kind of stat buffs out of leveling up more often and you eventually get the investment back.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Yeah, off the top of my head fulfilling the Sergeant ambition turns the dude you give the perk to into, well, [Name] the Sergeant.

Cool, are there others? Like, if a guy was repeatedly bashed on, would the game dub them something, or are there only a very few outside of pregen?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

CommissarMega posted:

Is there a console command that reveals the whole map? Muggins here was a moron who picked the 'see every town' Ambition :saddowns:
All the towns are revealed from the start though? Just mouse over each and visit the ones that say "you have never been to this place"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Soup du Journey posted:

It seems like a solid choice for your forgettable shitbirds, but if you've got a NICE!!! bro who's gonna be foreverially employed, with fully RA'd sword, permanent battle forged armor, etc etc, then the stats you gain from Gifted are worth like 3-4 levels past 11, which is cool, but the opportunity cost is a perk slot, and you only ever get like 10 of those.

I think it's definitely worthwhile on bannermen since having high resolve is their whole job.

Past that . . . It might depend on what crisis you're facing. If you aren't facing undead, crippling strike + executioner or fearsome are great choices and your perk slots are therefore at a premium. If you are, those are wasted choices, so you have more room in your builds and gifted starts to look worthwhile.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Filthy Monkey posted:

I would ironman it up if I could only view recruit stats before putting down the cash. I think that counts for more of my reloads than anything else.

Just like real life you get a someone's cover letter and resume. What that guy actually brings to the job you won't know until he gets to work. Welcome to management, bitch.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, you're hired! Oh wait, you've got a club foot? You're fired, take your 0 gold compensation package and get outta here.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Oh hey, you're hired! Oh wait, you've got a club foot? You're fired, take your 0 gold compensation package and get outta here.

Good thing these mercs can't unionize.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'd feel worse if I didn't just give them a bunch of gold to do absolutely nothing.

KyloWinter posted:

Then yeah, I'm a blasphemer.
Because I love the game mechanically but I will never, ever, find failure fun.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 27, 2017

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm a blasphemer too, I hate losing brothers, especially to just bad luck. Like oh, you get to start at the base of the mountain the enemy archers are perched upon, enjoy having death rained upon you while you scramble to escape.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Filthy Monkey posted:

This and starting combat five levels down a sheer cliff facing enemy marksmen on the high ground.

Also I don't understand the game well enough for Ironman.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

This and starting combat five levels down a sheer cliff facing enemy marksmen on the high ground.

Then you just back up, or immediately retreat from battle.

I think people aren't quick enough to retreat, and that's one of the good things about ironman, really driving home "If something doesn't look worth it DON'T DO IT, I MEAN GODDAMN JUST GET OUT OF THERE"

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Ironman just makes you play in a particularly conservative way because you should only engage in fights you know you can win without losses. I play ironman but I do cheat my way out of having my best mercs die randomly because I feel like I currently don't know the game well enough to do it 'properly'.

Pre-final release I played expert ironman never reload but the game was much easier then if you survived the rediculous first 10-15 days.

GlyphGryph posted:

Then you just back up, or immediately retreat from battle.

I think people aren't quick enough to retreat, and that's one of the good things about ironman, really driving home "If something doesn't look worth it DON'T DO IT, I MEAN GODDAMN JUST GET OUT OF THERE"

It's really loving tedious to do this though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arg, what to do with this guy:

Fearless and Optimist, two stars in resolve, but. . three stars in archery!

Bannerman or archer? Is it worth trying to pump that low bow stat?

bannerman. his base melee skill is high enough that even if he completely botches every melee skill roll he ever has, taking Gifted will make him at least passable with the banner. Gifted guarantees max rolls on everything so it's the perfect opportunity to get a nice boost out of something you're not good at.

alternately, take Quick Hands on him and give him a crossbow. he can snipe until the lines are joined, then switch to his banner as resolve begins to matter.

Soup du Journey posted:

the question i tend to ask is, will Gifted actually change how i use this character, right now?

in the case of forgettable shitbirds the answer is almost always yes. max rolls on defense and health means i can more aggressively offer up that guy as a sacrifice to enemy lines; if you're not going to be with me forever, your primary job is to get out in front and take punishment for the people who will. on forever brothers the question is more murky. the above bannerman is probably one i would take Gifted on because it helps address his primary shortcoming in a way no others will. if a brother instead is pretty much in line with how i intend to use him, i will skip it in favor of something that will accentuate his strengths better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another lesson learned in blood: Swamp fights suck. They suck double-extra hard when you're the side who needs to advance on the enemy, because they have a necromancer or more bows. :negative: