Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Some of the new events are hosed up, spoilers for people who don't like to be spoiled on that kind of thing:

You can run into a guy getting flogged for loving a dead horse. You can recruit this guy and he has the title "the filly fiddler". Also there's an event where you run into a roving gang of prostitutes (I don't loving know) but they're actually using it as a front to rob people. This one sucked particularly hard because it gave injuries to my entire team.

My most recent game is going great but I have a really bad feeling that I may have left it too late to start recruiting stronger backgrounds, I'm trying to slot them in on day 40 and they're loving useless at low levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

One of my few criticisms of the game is how the really fun gameplay relies on you getting to a critical mass of equipment and levels for your mercenaries where you can actually make more interesting decisions about what to do in combat. Perks such as recover, footwork and rotation should really be regular skills you can just use whenever, and balanced with the appropriate AP and fatigue costs.

Semi related pro tip, when you're skilling up mercs to use 2handers make sure that you get all the defensive perks first, rather than going straight for berserk and frenzy. You need to be able to tank like a champ in order to make proper use of the extra attacks anyway. It's kind of boring but I'd probably recommend for the most part not using 2handed weapons until your merc is at least level 8 so you can get reach advantage, underdog and battle forged (I'd strongly recommend waiting until level 9 so you can have footwork as well).

Lately I've beeen taking student on everyone and then taking both berserk and killing frenzy at level 11 with the extra perk.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 24, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Alternatively, get rotation as soon as you can. Have your 2h hang in the back and then rotate in when the front line did their attacks and chop a wounded dude down. Then chop again next round and rotate back. It's gonna burn a lot of fatigue but I'm in love with this for my early/mid game 2 hand dude

Yeah this works too but then you have rotation on your 2h guy, which is fine if you want to just have a couple, but I prefer to run with lots of 2handers tanking everything. There's no problem that can't be solved with a wall of big rear end swords.

Dreylad posted:

I see the nerfed worn mail shirts a bit by buffing mail shirts slightly. They now have 115 armor instead of 110. Pretty reasonable change.

Scale armour also got its fatigue penalty bumped up by -2. I honestly stopped using them for the most part since reinforced hauberks are half the price, and then you can jump straight from there to full scale.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They also nerfed coat of scales by 2 more fatigue. Not sure if there are any more changes other than these very few small edits to armour and the music improvements (it sounds like they rejigged some tracks and where changed the music is generally a little more forceful)

As much as I really want to use 2handed hammers, setting up good AoE hits with the drat thing is so much harder than just waltzing up to the enemy's line and pressing split that it makes me not want to bother. I'll plan in future to use a couple of them on the flanks where it's easier to position them for AoE strikes, and then I can rotate them into the front vs. particularly heavy armour targets (which would be orc warriors since somehow in every single game I have played out of like 6 or 7 I have got the orc crisis)

I am really underwhelmed with how my archers have turned out though, rather than helping me kill the enemy's archers (which is impossible after about day 50 unless I want to go very ranged heavy, and the enemy usually starts with favourable terrain anyway) they suck up arrows like crazy and need babysitting in order to live. I feel totally vindicated for my usual strategy of eventually replacing all archers with more greatswords.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 24, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Kenzie posted:

How do you deal with ranged enemies like goblins? Seems like they would shred a 2hander-heavy group. Or the noble house armies with all of their crossbows?

Rush the gently caress out of them, goblins are easy because of how fast split grinds through their meatshield. I have footwork on everyone so you can break through the lines (if you can't just make a big hole in the first round of combat) and the second you have 1 or 2 guys going to gently caress with their ranged units you totally remove them as a threat.

I am currently running 3 shieldbearers as well who generally stand up front and absorb arrows, I think that eventually with good enough recruits you can feasibly drop the shields but any unit without at least a decent amount of ranged defense will be mercilessly bullied by enemy archers. In my current game I have definitely made some mistakes with my builds but I've learnt a lot, most of my team is brawlers with really good talents which works out great for just melee but their weakness vs. range has been quite noticable, if only because of the huge difference between starting with 0 and 10+ ranged defense. I also need to get better at figuring out how much fatigue is enough since I have a tendancy to just keep pumping it up higher and higher.

Example of 'super brawler':

Once this guy is level 11 he will have ~85-90 melee attack, ~30 melee defense but only maybe 10-15 ranged def. A decent sellsword - even without talents - can expect to have roughly 80 melee attack and 30 melee defense but 20+ ranged defense (starts out at ~60-65/10/10 instead of ~50-55/0/0). There was definitely a phase in the early midgame where my guys couldn't hit gently caress all and this probably encouraged me to focus on recruits with good melee skill and defense while sacrificing ranged defense. I also underestimated how ranged heavy some enemy groups can be as at the time I hadn't yet seen the larger groups of goblins which are like 40% ambushers.

You can see the rear end in a top hat archer in reserve who kept having to run away and stand at the back on turn 2 or 3 of every fight because his initiative and ranged defense were too low to actually avoid being hit so he would be mostly dead all the time.

I have generally completely given up on polearms except as something to do with people who are too underdeveloped to tank properly. Greatswords do more armour damage than everything other than billhooks and have AoE as well. Polearms are fantastic in the early game though!

In defense of going 2h heavy: I think people who haven't tried this underestimate just how fast enemy morale will break when you're constantly smashing 2+ targets per turn per man for huge chunks of their HP. Although plenty of enemies have heavy armour, even the scarier groups have tons of chaff who will die in 1 or 2 GS hits, and the greatsword is absolutely the best weapon in the game for mowing these guys down. I've had a group of 20 goblins turn into about 3 remaining by turn 4 due to cascading morale breaks thanks to how hard and fast I am able to hit them (I was really lucky with being able to get a greatsword onto their archers very quickly though)

I frequently have orc warriors (which are mega scary before I hit critical mass of swords) break before I even hit them just from seeing their friends murdered. I don't know how morale works exactly but it's fairly obvious that single large hits are better at causing morale loss.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 25, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Weasel, what stats do you aim for on two hander Bros?

Also general question: am I correct in thinking that crossbows are the Spears of archery, basically an early game only option?

Crossbows are loving deadly because crossbow mastery increases their armour penetrating power, but in the hands of the player, I think that bows are almost certainly better most of the time due to their increased rate of fire and generally having soft targets to aim for. Once you have heavy armour xbows are much more threatening as long as you still have your armour intact; once your armour is weakened bows will gently caress you up.

I don't really have specific stats in mind, I take level ups as a matter of priority based on maximising stat gains in the useful stats (fatigue, melee skill and melee / ranged defense). I almost never take a +1 in any stat (haven't seen the need in many hours of play since the pre-release beta started, I don't recall prior to then) and will often pass up a +2 on fatigue if there's other useful options available. HP and morale get selected when the other rolls are poor and / or the unit has particularly bad HP or morale (I like to aim for 60hp and 45 morale, a bit more in both is preferable, about 65-70hp and 50 morale feels solid). Basically melee defense and attack are your top priorities due to the way RA works, the more you hit and the higher your base melee defense the bigger the benefit you gain. Then you need as much rdef you can scrape together while also having good enough fatigue (which for most recruits also means 'as much as you can get') - I like to have about 70 fatigue minimum fully equipped.

Veteran levels are basically slam picked +1 melee attack / defense / ranged defense.

I just want to shout out to the cocky trait gently caress you because I had 2 otherwise amazing recruits early on in my current game who ended up being way shittier than they would have been. One of them is still one of my best tanks in spite of it. This is secretly one of the most annoying traits in the game and I don't even remember having any fun events associated with it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone know if there's a relationship between the size of a settlement and how much will be offered for sale at a weaponsmith or armourer in that settlement? My most recent game had an armourer in a mining settlement which was great as it let me grind up to allied reputation and start buying good armour early, but it also seemed like they never sold anything better than scale armour and generally had a smaller selection than the more expensive armourer at a nearby fortress.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I wish the game was a little more open about letting you know about some of the events. I've been told that the following stuff exists but because I'm a big baby who tries to generally hire 'good' recruits I've never seen them: (spoilered because some of them are really cool / unique sounding)

Houndmaster can befriend a wolf which is basically a stronger warhound (you get it as an item)

Swordmasters and retired soldiers can teach your brothers how to fight better. I think you can also get some kind of event where they organise a bunch of military drills for a large group of low level / non martial backgrounds.

Somehow, if you have a cultist in your group, you can break up some kind of coven meeting in the wilderness and sacrifice one of the cultists, turning him into a unique piece of headgear made out of his corpse, praise Satan :stare:

If you do the above then later, the dude wearing the helmet will get possessed and ask you to sacrifice one of your brothers for a matching piece of body armour :stonk:

On the other hand all the boring spoiled food and dudes joining you by the fire events happen all the loving time

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Gammymajams posted:

This is a really great post, thanks. It sounds like you really cherry pick contracts when playing. Doesn't that burn a lot of time moving between cities to find the right one? And so you'll be falling behind the difficulty curve if you don't find something that fits your criteria? For me it's been kind of ambiguous whether it's worth my while intercepting random groups of enemies on the world map, since there's always a risk of injury and there's less financial incentive without a contract. It seems like you recommend hunting easy stuff/ bandit thugs etc that are roaming the map? I think I'm gonna be more selective from here on when picking contracts and fights. Once I understand exactly what each mission is going to look like from the description that should make things easier.

It's not really cherry picking it's more like don't take long distance cargo or caravan missions unless you want to go to the region in question anyway, and don't take missions which will kill you (which is usually suspiciously highly paid or 3* missions). Fighting random enemies or even engaging camps is a good idea if you think you can win without taking meaningful losses.

Gammymajams posted:

Day 7 360 gold 1 skull contract: 6 raiders. What the fuuuuuck.

Edit: Turns out, this time I beat the raiders. That extra level on a few guys made a big difference. Well, this is embarassing.

There's a fairly big rear end difference between "raiders :lol:" and "raiders :stonk:", don't be scared by the name as they can often be wearing just gambesons with falchions or something equally easy to handle. Before the beta branch started I got fairly used to day 2 or 3 bandit groups on expert with raiders in and that was when they would often have pikes!

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 25, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Student is ok later when your picking up replacement dudes. early on just skip it.

I would get your weapon masteries much earlier.

Recover that early isnt worth it. Get it post weapon mastery, since weapon mastery is a much bigger boost to fatigue recovery.

Also Bow Mastery is amazing and super important to effective countersniping and the fatigue boost is important.

Also consider adding gifted asap for any brother that is below par for base stats. A flat +3 to both hit chance and defense is actually pretty good. I actually put it on all my brothers, and it is good no matter what role they end up playing on the line.

I have a similar approach to building my mercs in general and don't pick weapon masteries because you often don't know which one you want - in the early days I will constantly change weapons based on fresh drops. Recover gets picked purely because there's a limited number of useful talents prior to level 6 for generalist mercs (i.e. those who don't need dodge, shield mastery, iron brow, etc.). If you're training up someone in the later game and you know what his equipment will be then sure get weapon mastery ASAP.

I also don't subscribe to the "this guy is guaranteed to suck so I will give him a different" build school of thought. Unless you go around hiring a load of cripples you can and will have a guy with no talents randomly get a string of good level ups (I had a guy with no talent ending up with over 30 melee defense because he got a +2 or +3 every level) and I build every character without some seriously damaging trait or awful bases and talents as though they are going to be around at level 11. Sometimes you just can't find sellswords etc. to hire; in my most recent game I didn't see any of the top tier backgrounds to hire until past the point where my remaining first wave of recruits were hitting level 9-10.

I do take rotation on a brother as soon as I'm convinced that he's not going to be staying in the medium-long term, at which point he becomes an hp shield for more useful recruits. I value underdog, footwork and especially battleforged extremely highly and take those in preference to almost all other choices at the appropriate levels.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

Yes, kills from strongholds/ruins count for patrols now!

I noticed this as well, a strange change as they specifically fixed this from being the case before, but perhaps with the new cap on no. of heads they felt that it was balanced. It makes patrol missions a lot more rewarding when you can go raze camps if needed.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

thoughts on the Khopesh? Found one and it looks awesome but not sure how best to use.

Unless you're in endgame territory and can make duelists there's not much you can do with 1handed weapons beyond just sticking them on a shield dude.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Ironman just makes you play in a particularly conservative way because you should only engage in fights you know you can win without losses. I play ironman but I do cheat my way out of having my best mercs die randomly because I feel like I currently don't know the game well enough to do it 'properly'.

Pre-final release I played expert ironman never reload but the game was much easier then if you survived the rediculous first 10-15 days.

GlyphGryph posted:

Then you just back up, or immediately retreat from battle.

I think people aren't quick enough to retreat, and that's one of the good things about ironman, really driving home "If something doesn't look worth it DON'T DO IT, I MEAN GODDAMN JUST GET OUT OF THERE"

It's really loving tedious to do this though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Wolf Riders don't seem that dangerous if they're all your fighting, but I can see where they'd be an incredible pain in the rear end if they had a few poison archers backing them up so my men couldn't shift lines to respond to their flanking attempts.

When they decide to actually stand and fight they can be scary since they're kind of like direwolves on crack, the rider and wolf both get to attack and they can do an awful lot of damage if all the attacks hit.

Night10194 posted:

Man, battles get real nerve-wracking when you have to fight multiple waves on a defense without time for your armor to repair.

After a while you end up just leaving your reserves with all their armour on and use them as mannequins, or rotate them in when someone gets injured or is too low on HP. 3 star settlement defense missions are really easy and profitable if you have a few decent reserves (big gold reward and 2 or 3 fights with incoming groups each of which shouldn't be excessively challenging). Just don't fight them all at once, let them start attacking the settlement and pick them off when they fan out to go raze different structures.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 27, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I don't think I've ever had trouble with Direwolves, is the thing. Though part of that is direwolf AI is just 'We're going to rush you in a big blob while screaming' and really predictable.

You never had one guy get RNG hit with 9 attacks in a row? poo poo hurts, same thing. Direwolves are rediculously easy to fight but sometimes you just get unlucky.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I have still never seen a unique weapon or armour of any type actually worth having, I did find a nice medium armour early in a playthrough months ago but that's it.

I'm slightly tempted to start a no crisis game so I can just grind through enemy camps looking for loot

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

yes, this is indeed the case. witchhunters bonus to resolve has everything to do with them simply having more resolve than other people, there is nothing more elaborate about it.

regarding their problem, i recommend picking up a monk or a cultist instead. they both have innate resolve bonuses and are much cheaper than witchhunters. they tend to have sub-par health and fatigue, but obviously this matters somewhat less to a bannerman. they make fantastic sergeants, and having a monk on the payroll lets you keep control of superstitious brothers in events. i really, really hated that trait due to the superstitious guy's aptitude for ruining everyone's mood by screaming about curses. then i got a monk in the company, and the monk spent most of his time in camp patiently talking my superstitious lineman off the proverbial ledge so nobody else had to hear his nonsense. it was sublime.

I usually end up with a gambler, wildman or squire as my bannerman. My current game has a gambler who started with like 55 resolve and a 1* talent and 3* in melee attack so he's also pretty good at stabbing fools.

I hope they add an ambition to 'upgrade' the standard, or revamp it so it fits in the accessory slot or something. It sucks having such a weak weapon after you have billhooks and longaxes available.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

I had an encounter with 6 pike wielding ancient legionnaires yesterday standing behind six with shields and holy moly was that a pain to deal with. I had to drag them to the edge of the map, kill about half of them, then retreat, swap out the gruesomely injured front liners, then try again and finish off the remainders. Once you can get weapons to bear on the pike-letons they go down quick, but until you do they can do a lot of damage.

Unless you're running into them early I can't see them putting up much of a fight, unless you don't use greatswords or longaxes / billhooks for some reason. The only time I had losses to them was right at the start of the beta when I ran into a midgame encounter with shield legionnaries and pikes on day 8. They're also extremely easy to flank since they stick to their ranks so tightly, just make sure that the flanking guy can take some hits.

Since I get the impression that a lot of people don't buy armour for their dudes: reinforced mail hauberks make your brothers incredibly tanky, buying them should be your first priority after getting 12 brothers from cheap but effective backgrounds, and a bare minimum of armour (padded leather with a full gambeson hood is fine) . All of the weapons and head defense you need for the first 40-50 days will drop from bandits but the best armour you can get is mail shirts.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

i've always seen people, at least in this thread, suggesting buying armor instead of weapons, which is a good move imo. i generally go up to scale mail+full helms before i stop buying armor. even with the minor nerf to scale, it's still probably the best armor in terms of fatigue cost and defense. no real point to buying the later stuff, as they are horribly expensive and while the 60-80 armor is nice, the fatigue penalty is incredibly harsh.

if you get the noble war crisis first, there really is no point in buying the heavy armors, as you can "easily" get enough coat of scale/plate to outfit any unit with fatigue to spare from shiving enemy knights, as long as your willing to usually be outnumbered by atleast 6 men.

I probably should have phrased that better, what I meant was that I personally like to make buying heavier armour my main priority for the midgame, because I find that the second that you throw a guy into a reinforced mail hauberk + one of those 140 armour bandit helmets he becomes tanky enough that nothing short of a nasty crossbow hit or multiple rounds of getting beaten on in melee will cause you to have to withdraw him.

I do buy up to coats of scale / plate after I have the mercs and weapons I want, I feel like the fatigue penalty is overstated and with battle forged every bit of armour helps. As you say if you get a noble crisis you can get a lot of these for free.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Bought a ridiculously expensive level 5 Hedge Knight for 14000 gold and then he only had 61 starting melee skill with 1 talent star. A lucky roll on a caravan guard can get you an equal merc for a fraction.

The expensive backgrounds are good because they have melee defense as well as melee skill, it's not difficult to get a farmer or brawler up to 80+ melee skill and good fatigue and hp, it's not so easy to do that and 30+ melee defense as well. You can find hedge knights for 4-5k and sellswords for 3-4k but if they come with a ton of expensive armour then yeah you're going to pay for it. OTOH I managed to hire a hedge knight in my current game who had a scale armour, greatsword and decent helmet, at a point where I was still gearing up my frontline, so I practically got the merc himself for free along with a bunch of equipment I wanted to buy anyway.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The secret to fighting orc warriors is having your best armoured shield guy(s) tank them with shieldwall while you murder all the orc young, by which time the warriors will probably be close to breaking already. You can also bait them into using their charge attack constantly by having a decently well armoured pikeman (who can take more than 1 hit) with footwork.

And as with everything else use lots of greatswords with a couple of hammers to break through the armour.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I've been just using every class of weapon, avoiding doubling up out of principle. Not super sure how effective it is. Theoretically it lets me send, say, my flail-user after a helmless raider who's chilling on one side of the map and sending my axe dude towards the group of bandits with shields on the other end, but in practice they often get bogged down before they reach their destinations and I have to make due.

Yeah this is one of my main arguments towards greatsword hegemony. I can't reliably put my units in the positions where they will be most useful, so my entire front line except for the 2 'wings' are all identical greatsword tanks, and the wings are shield tanks, 2handed hammerers, or more greatswords, depending on the enemy's composition, since these are the units which I can most easily position exactly where I want them, wheras the block of units in the centre are just going to move forwards and get stuck in.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

My current mission is to get a famed piece of equipment.
How do I do that?

1. Buy at a weapon / armoursmith. These are rarely offered, but will be more common if the settlement has the "safe roads" buff from completing a patrol.

2. Taken from the cold dead hand of certain nasty enemies such as orc warlords and hedge knights (and apparently bandit leaders though I've never seen one)

3. Looted from enemy camps. You might get a clue about particular locations to find them if you visit a tavern for rumours, otherwise just go as far away from civilization as you can and start kicking rear end

E:

Vaguely related, what are the stats like on good unique armours since I haven't actually seen one for ages and that was a mid range piece? Can you get armour that is significantly stronger than 300/300? If so do they have even higher fatigue penalties?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 29, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

I used to put warhammers on my duelists too, but i've found maces to be more reliable in general. they do use a lot of fatigue though.

i also finally figured out why one of my troops kept getting drunk on the first round in bars even when i hadn't been to one in days. he's tiny so he gets drunk faster :v:

Unique orc cleavers are the endgame for duelists, at which point they become absolutely rediculous.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I see people talk "duelist builds" but what goes into that?

No shield, 1handed weapon, duelist perk. Due to the duelist perk and the double grip ability from not having a shield you get a gigantic damage boost, and this is particularly effective on weapons which typically have relatively poor armour piercing but high base damage. Since this typically leaves you with poo poo for defenses but also gives you a light weapon configuration it's often combined with Dodge.

A non-unique orc cleaver with this setup does an average of 34 hp damage per hit, as well as bleeding; the high base damage and bleed make cleavers extremely attractive for duelists.

Jay Rust posted:

Is it normal to be haemorrhaging two brothers per fight? It's around Day 30 and I suspect my 100%-scavenged body armour is what's causing my guys to fall apart after two or three rounds of melee.

Please for the love of god go to an armourer. 110-armour worn mail shirts are not a real defensive solution.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 29, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I've never actually run a duelist but from what I understand they only really become attractive choices (i.e. better than just having another greatsword or 2h hammer) because unique Orcish cleavers exist, but they're really loving good at that one specific thing. You know how terrifying an orc warrior with a cleaver and no shield is? Like that.

As for stats I guess they want the same as everyone else, mdef, matk, fatigue, rdef, and enough hp / resolve to not die or run away. Though one would assume that they will be slightly more demanding in terms of defensive stats to make up for not having a shield or reach advantage.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 30, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Robutt posted:

I'm still really early in the game (day 30ish) but now that I've followed the advice itt and gotten myself some proper armour I'm starting to have serious fatigue problems. Now that my guys are in reinforced mail with proper helmets and bigger shields and even with brawny most of their max fatigue is sitting around 60 which I'm finding really hard to manage even with recover. I guess I should have been pumping max fatigue on literally every level up?

Not necessarily every level up but almost every +3 or +4 on fatigue yes and if the guy's base fatigue is bad on +2's as well.

Someone on Reddit collated some useful information on backgrounds if you're like me and find browsing data sets fun :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I prioritize recruits with melee defense talents and hate enemy archers so I give everyone kites. They are really good!

Yeah you get more numbers in total from kite shields (-5 mdef but +10 rdef compared to heaters) and they're much sturdier so I tend to use them over the other options. The legionnaire tower shields are good too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Zore posted:

So what I'm getting from this is most of the higher end backgrounds tend to be worse than Squires/Wildmen/Farmhands with Swordmasters/Retired Soldiers being pretty laughable.

You should take that guy's "formula" with a grain of salt, yes having lots of fatigue and hp are really useful but the guy with -20 fatigue and +10 melee skill and defense is a far superior unit.

What this does make more obvious is that a lot of the middle tier backgrounds which I was already a bit dubious about (disowned noble, bastard, etc) are total crap.

This more or less supports my personal preferences that I had already indentified for which hires to prioritise before you start spending big money on hedge knights etc: Brawlers, Thieves, Wildmen, Farmhands, and if they spawn without expensive gear, Militia and Squires.

One interesting thing which the data appears to support (though the data set could do with being bigger particularly for some classes) is that backgrounds don't give straight bonuses to stats but instead have different ranges for stats. So brawlers for example, have a narrow but higher than average stat range for fatigue and melee skill, compared to farmers, which have wider ranges in both (though tend to be higher in fatigue and lower in melee skill)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Bastards are actually gold besides the poor resolve, I pull him out against geists, but he is a beast with 98 melee skill as a two hander with the super sledge.

I'm not convinced - I don't think that they're particularly better than other martially-focused backgrounds such as militia in terms of melee skill, and the resolve penalty is absolute garbage.

I'm starting to lean towards going directly from hiring nothing but farmers / brawlers / wildmen in the earlier part of the game, later replacing as many as possible with hedge knights (and sellswords, maybe). The mid tier hires don't really seem worth the effort (squires are pretty nice sergeants, but so are wildmen) when they're still generally not good enough to be 'top tier' unlike hedge knights which are basically perfect at level 1 unless you get totally screwed with stat rolls. Adventurous nobles have really good resolve but are usually expensive and can potentially have loving awful ranged defense, like -10 or something.

Is there a way to avoid your hedge knights potentially murdering the gently caress out of each other if you get that event where they start fighting? I've never actually had it happen to me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

On the flip side I have personally never got much luck with wild men the defense penalties even if I slap a kite on them they always seem to end up arrow fodder and get pincushion'd before they can level up. Squires I think depending on the stars can be really good, my bannerman for the Lamenters is a Squire, he had 2 ranged stars and 60+ melee skill at hire already + good resolve. So I was able to pump him up to be a 92 skill war bow archer, in addition to being competent with the standard and have 120ish resolve.

In regards to the bastard, yes the resolve penalty sucks, but with my standard bearer and his heavy armor + battle forged he pretty much never takes a hit that will cause him to run and the two times he has my flag bearer rallied him that same turn. I agree however with the assertions that retired soldiers/nobles aren't really worth it mostly due to the huge fatigue penalties both backgrounds have and ranged penalties on the nobles they have which is worse than cheaper backgrounds.

Another thing I noticed on hiring my Witch Hunter guy early on he didn't have any stars in range attack (sucks) however he still rolled 3's or better every time he leveled up, I haven't had to recruit another actual archer background yet, but I wonder if thats the norm. Farmers even if they don't have stars seem to naturally get 3's & 4's for fatigue as well. So he topped out at 88 ranged skill which isn't perfect, but still means he hits the vast majority of his shots.

Yeah sometimes you just get abnormally lucky with skill ups which is why having good bases is so useful. Wildmen defense penalty isn't that bad, it feels worse than it actually is, to the point that I actually stopped using them for a while, but in theory if you get a wildman with talents or lucky levels in defense stats he's going to be much better in the long run than something like a militia guy with a fatigue talent, because their starting resolve / fatigue / hp is so good that those areas are already fairly sorted. You just need to bear this in mind when taking stat increases and put less emphasis on fatigue than you might otherwise.

Squires are definitely worth hiring if you still need a sergeant when they become a viable prospect to pick up, or to just increase your reserves a bit, but if you get some decent luck with cheaper backgrounds (gamblers are really good as well) you can have a very good sergeant without them. Witch hunters are also worth a mention as they have great ranged skill and resolve so if you want to have a rally archer they're a good choice.

Really though just get hedge knights, they own, which is probably why they're so loving expensive. The only area they really fall down in compared to sellswords is ranged skill and defense, but have significantly better hp, fatigue and resolve.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Would it completely ruin the game if, and I know I'm on a limb here, you got to see the stats before hiring someone?

It would be way loving easier because you would be able to cherry pick the best recruits and the difference between a good and bad recruit is crazy, like you can have 2 guys both at level 11 with the same background and one of them can feasibly have 20 points more fatigue, melee defense and attack than the other one, due to better bases and talents.

Now I think that the game would be better if recruiting was transparent and balanced around that but I feel like it's probably not going to happen.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ditty bout my clitty posted:

My butcher just cut off the non-hosed pieces of a dead horse for rations.

This game owns, the new events are all great.

Bogarts posted:

Cultist got a lot of new events in the last couple of patches it seems like. I got to resurrect a dead guy to join my team which I've never seen before.

Getting a cultist to induct your whole group seems like a smart play tbh.

I'm considering taking colossus and steel brow on my 2hand tanks and dropping some utility perks, I haven't had many nasty incidents yet but I am looking at my dudes' lovely ranged defense and looking at the stats for heavy crossbows and making frowny faces a lot. I have had a dude almost killed in a single headshot from just a regular crossbow before but somehow I've managed to convince myself that it was just a freak accident. I have this dumb urge to try and take gifted instead because my brain is screaming at me that 3% reduced chance to be hit is really meaningful, but I also have this ominous feeling that direct HP damage is going to give me some serious bad times even when I'm running with 300/300 armour everywhere, and the colossus / steel brow combo is the best way to avoid that. Anyone got some useful input on this?

Kenzie posted:

Yeah it's neat that the game works like that. You'll end up with a small core of elite veterans surrounded by a bunch of rookies who get themselves killed. I guess that's why the game recommends veteran ironman mode as the best way to play. You're supposed to take a lot of casualties, and the game has events where your veterans try to train up the rookies. You're supposed to be a bunch of random dudes and thugs not much different from bandits instead of heroic supermen. And I like how you can't see what someone's stats are until after you hire them, otherwise it would defeat the whole theme the game has going if you can just always pick the best guys. I would try to give Student and then Gifted to most of my rookies for their first perks, to give them that little extra boost to help survive that crucial first week or so.

By the end of the undead invasion, I had four elite archers, three elite melee fighters (a pair of greatswords and a sword-and-board guy), my veteran standard bearer, and the rest were rookies. My level 11+ greatsword guys were super powerful. One of them was owning dudes so hard that he crashed the game at one point when he killed a bunch of them with an AoE attack. The rookies were just cannon fodder, their sole purpose to hold a shield and distract the enemy while the veterans ripped apart the enemy flanks and rolled up their line.

I usually run with almost a whole army of greatsword tanks but when dudes get injured or I want to train someone up the replacement goes in the backline with a longaxe and the heaviest armour they can feasibly wear. It keeps them alive and makes them drat useful as well. This is one of the reasons I like not running any backliners by default, since if you do that you can run into issues where you start running out of tanks if you get a lot of injures.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 31, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Personally I would rearrange your line so guys with kite shields absorb the bolts and then either use footwork or rotation to move the beefy guys in. Especially if you aren't relying on a lightweight backline, but your shieldless guys back there.

The issues with this are:

1. I have to use more guys with shields (I like to run with somewhere between 0 and 2 which is not enough to effectively cover with)

2. The archers will shoot at the guys at the back anyway so the only benefit I'm getting there is reduced chance to be hit

3. I'm weakening my initial attack slightly by having to position my best units at the back

4. The archers can and will keep on shooting at my units when they're actually engaged in melee so shields will only protect me for 1 or 2 turns

5. This won't work if I want to flank aggressively with my 2handers, which is one of my favourite tactics

Also those perks are good for survivability and injury avoidance in general and not just as an anti-ranged measure. I think I've actually completely convinced myself that steel brow is very good in the late game for a variety of reasons (increased number of enemies which can do high hp damage, the exact mechanics of how headshots work, and the way that armour works to reduce that damage) so it's just down to colossus vs. gifted I think, which is a fairly simple number crunching exercise (pre nerf I would have gone for gifted most of the time)

Kenzie posted:

I was thinking of trying the same thing next game. I never really used Steel Brow and I was neglecting HP on some guys. There's the enemy crossbows to worry about, and also those drat goblins and their drat little puncturing knives. They don't hit that often with puncture attacks, but when they do, ouch.

Also I never played the noble war but I imagine they have a lot of warhammers and picks and stuff right? So armor might not be that good there and you want a good HP cushion. I had some trouble with some high level bandit groups that carry a lot of hammers.

I don't even know how you get to that point TBH. Maybe I was unlucky or just suck at it but it seems like you would need to play a million hours for everyone in the whole unit to be fully kitted out greatsword tanks, and it's like you've already won the game at that point. The late game crises hit at like day 80, and that wasn't enough time for me to get more than a couple good 2hand guys with heavy armor. You just have to babysit them so much before they can survive without a shield, and it's drat hard to find people with good melee defense.

I didn't even consider warhammers and puncture, drat. I've managed to get away mostly with neglected HP pools but I am almost certain that it's going to cause my current game to fail eventually, hence my current dilemma. Having super tanks doesn't mean much if they can still die to 1 or 2 lucky hits. I was previously trying to get more of my recruits to have a decent level of ranged defense, but going for a more hp-based survival strategy seems both easier and more strongly supported by perks. And also works vs bleeds which is another thing which has caused me some tears in the past.

As for getting a lot of greatswords my advice is firstly don't loving rush it - you need underdog, reach advantage and battle forged and a minimum of 200 head and body armour for it to be even slightly viable, and your merc needs a decent amount of melee attack and defense and enough fatigue to use everything. To get to this point I strongly focus getting heavy armour in the midgame, well before I start to transition to greatswords. This keeps your brothers alive, which lets them get more xp and saves you gold which then lets you buy more armour, etc.

You don't need a particularly special recruit though, even a guy with 0 melee defense and 0 stars at level 1 will have 20+ at level 11 with a little bit of luck. I will kick non-exceptional units which get a few bad levels early on if I have a suitable replacement. Plus if you end up hiring like 20 or so extra farmers and brawlers you don't strictly need over the first month of gameplay you will get at least a few with really good traits or talents. At ~150-250 gold a pop that isn't a huge investment.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I'm really not seeing the hype for Wildmen. The huge defense penalties and EXP loss really aren't worth it.

Statistically speaking their defense values aren't terribly bad (on average a few points lower melee def and a bit more less ranged def compared to non-martial backgrounds - it just feels awful when they're negative) and they have huge hp, fatigue and resolve totals. The resolve is the thing that's easy to miss since otherwise they can seem like just retarded farmers with lower defense. I don't buy them when they come with expensive weapons but the cheap naked ones are good.

They also look bad rear end.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you're rich and they have only eaten grains for a while they get hella pissed off so I tend to buy whatever's cheapest that isn't grain at most places.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

theDOWmustflow posted:

Um how do you deal with the ghost units in undead mobs? I have like a 9% chance to hit whereas they only need to do that AoE scream 2-3 times to route my lines, and effectively allow the zombies to resurrect infinitely (I miss too many times or my guys run away).

Also how the hell do you deal with the undead generally? They keep coming back to life faster then I can kill everything.

Sounds like you're suffering from "not enough greatswords syndrome" :smug:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

do dogs still handicap your initiative

they did that for a very long time too, haven't tried them since release.

P sure they don't as they have 0 fatigue penalty, the only reason to not use them is cost.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

So do enemy Zweihanders have Berserk? Because I had come to the end of a battle against about 25 enemies and the last one was a zweihander my best two handed tank had been dueling for ten turns with neither landing more than one hit, then the AI footmen moved in to help. I was trying to land blows with polearms, and suddenly the zweihander busts out the three hit swing, killing one footman and hitting my guy, then he did it again and killed another footman and my man. The two successive hits overcame poor Eberhard. :smith: It was so close to being a flawless victory. Go to the gods, Eb.

I mean this is exactly why you put berserk and KF on your 2handers so it makes sense that the AI would do the same

RIP your dude though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The tailor event isn't worth it; you're more likely, by far, to get the same armor by running terrorized town missions.

The events that are worth carrying a dude around for:

1) cultist, special helmet and armor
2) Bowyer, special bow
3) Caravan hand, cart carrying capacity upgrade
4) houndmaster, wolf pet doggy that makes wolf noises instead of dog noises
5) I've been told the historian does something but haven't verified

Something else?

I haven't seen it but thieves can apparently steal a treasure map somehow (possibly this is just an option for a regular event) and then you need a historian to translate the map which then leads you to a camp containing a guaranteed unique item.

Swordmasters and I think also retired soldiers can teach other brothers to fight better giving stat ups.

Brawlers can also do this though I have a feeling that they can only do it to non-martial backgrounds, and they probably have to be low level. The event is pretty brutal though, poor dude gets the poo poo punched out of him :(

There's also a hilariously :stonk: (but fairly obscure) event where if you have a butcher and a flagellant, the butcher will give the flagellant tips on how to whip himself better, which gives them both stat and mood increases.