Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Snatch Duster posted:

Wrong. Greatswords, great warhammers, and warscythes are the best for every enemy type.

This is fairly correct actually. Though there are alternate builds which still work well, you will be effective vs all enemy types if you just spam greatswords and 2h hammers.

The big problem with shields is that the ranged AI will just focus your guy with the least ranged defense so unless you have shields on literally all of your front line they're actually not all that effective at preventing you from being hit. And having +15 melee defense isn't that great when your units get to a base of 30+ mdef and have RA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Map seed also determines starting brothers' traits. There's a thread on the Steam forums if you want to enjoy having actually useful brothers with iron lungs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm surprised how people seem to use what I would consider fairly light armour, I get all my front liners in coats of plate / scales ASAP and I probably wouldn't use that unique unless I had someone who was particularly hurting for fatigue.

I've got fairly well used to running with only 60-70 fatigue (I frequently now have shield brothers with only 50 max, I just make sure they're using swords) and armour just seems like the best way to keep your guys alive and healthy.

I also kind of like how utilitarian the high end non-unique armours look, I enjoy how your band goes from being this ragtag assortment of individuals into a homogenous group of soldiers all wearing the same or similar armours. Then you ruin it by getting all this cool swanky looking poo poo :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

This guy is going to have in excess of 90 attack and 35 melee defense at level 11. That's loving rediculous. You actually got a max melee skill roll on him on top of everything else.

The only downside is resolve sucks because farmers, and his fatigue is actually close to the minimum for farmers. He could have theoretically had another 20 fatigue at level 1.

Please don't take +2 fatigue over good resolve and/or hp rolls and he will be crazy. You might need to sacrifice a little more fatigue than you'd usually want because his resolve is so bad.

If you don't let him use a 2hander as soon as it's safe I'm going to be seriously disappointed :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Brawler background is just not worth taking at all.

It's one of the most consistently solid and cheapest backgrounds available, what's wrong with it?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

You hire a Brawler because they're a 100 crown dude who has decent odds of being physically fit and brave, like any other civilian background.

If you ever use their comedy option punch attack you are silly.

They actually have significantly better stats than most 'civilian' backgrounds. They have consistently high hp, slightly better than average melee attack and resolve, and average fatigue.

It would be cool if unarmed attacks were actually viable though, or at least if there was some rare or unique fist weapon you could get.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

theDOWmustflow posted:

At what difficulty level or point in the game does it matter whether your boys are min-maxed or not for their stats. I've been using the stat bonuses as a guide for preferred roles/superstars, but have plenty of melee men who don't have melee attack or defense bonuses.

The game's difficulty curve is kind of hosed in general (though in a fun way) in as much as, if you don't ever (or rarely) have brothers die then they all level up nice and quick and turn into badasses and can easily keep up with the general gradual increase in difficulty of fights. If you have more frequent deaths then they compound on top of the increasing difficulty to make poo poo really hard.

The easy answer would be to say that on beginner it doesn't really matter at all, veteran you will definitely have a better time if you aggressively try to pimp out your team, and expert you will get destroyed if you don't use every tool at your disposal to get as buff as possible as fast as possible.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How dumb is it to play this game on Expert fresh out of the gate? I'm the kind of guy that picks the highest difficulty level on whatever game he plays, but I'd like some input on if its particularly bullshit or not.

Expert is hard because you're intentionally starved of resources from day 1, if you waste even a small amount of your funds in the early part of the game you'll essentially cripple yourself. You need at least some experience with the game in order to know what good and bad purchases are so I strongly suggest not starting on expert. Veteran should be fine if you have the mindset that having brothers die or just straight up losing because you hosed up is ok. I never played the game on beginner.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I consider reinforced hauberks (210 armour) with a 200+ helmet to be an absolute minimum for front liners by the time the first crisis starts, but ideally you already have a good chunk in something heavier.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What do you do to afford that? A lot of trade?

Trade is always useful but I think the most important thing is just not wasting your money. I don't spend money on anything except recruits and armour, with few exceptions (until I want to get greatswords and 2h hammers) and I make minimising losses my main priority because replacing dudes is expensive. After the early game I save up every bit of cash with the aim of getting into reinforced hauberks ASAP. I don't buy any lighter armours unless they're damaged and therefore cheaper than usual. I try to find the best spot on the map for grinding missions which also lets me do some trading and if possible start boosting my reputation with a settlement with an armourer. Unless your brothers are injured, any time spent travelling on the map is wasted so I try to minimise that.

It doesn't take long before you're doing contracts for 1-2k each and getting piles of loot to go along with it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

Just had a thief try to rob my camp at night. On a whim I gave him food and he asked to join up. He had three stars in melee, ranged, and hp. loving awesome.
Put him in my spear wall with chainmail, helmet, spear and shield.

First turn of his first battle against some trash brigands and poachers he alone out of 7 other spearmen in the front rank eats two arrows to the face and dies instantly.

Wiped out the rest of that band without anybody else taking more than a minor scratch.

:negative:

Just FYI the AI will do this on purpose, once you're out of the early game I would strongly suggest putting all new recruits in the back with a polearm and plenty of armour because enemy archers will always go for the low hp / armour / defense brothers. Which is one of the reasons why I'm not really sold on using shields in the late game, your shieldbearers just don't get targeted by arrows that much.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Tias posted:

None of my dudes can fight or move for poo poo if I give them that much armour.

I basically only recruit backgrounds with high fatigue as part of my general strategy and I almost always increase fatigue on level ups. I also typically keep a pile of random swords to give to anyone who is temporarily left with low fatigue due to having an armour upgrade.

Also recover is fairly essential so you aren't completely boned in longer fights. I have run as low as mid 50s fatigue on some of my brothers for a while; in those cases I gave them 1handed swords to use temporarily as the fatigue drain is extremely low.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Blocking and dodging should cost fatigue. You shouldn't be able to send one guy into twelve and have him go neo from the matrix on them

Uh I'm pretty sure it does actually. You just can't go below 0.

Walh Hara posted:

Guntram was one of my first recruits with 3 stars in melee, iron lungs, athletic, a star in fatigue and great base stats (being a wildman) so I renamed him so that I would remember to keep him safe. It's something I do a lot with early recruits and also the reason why my starting guys got the title "Companion".

He has 155 base fatigue.

I do this as well, it's the only way I'm ever going to remember recruit A is destined for greatness and recruit B is going to get a bow once he has some levels.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Russian Remoulade posted:

As someone currently fending off piles of orcs, I highly agree. That said, I get some utility out of them by focusing down the young to hurt the morale of the scary armored bastards.

You should always focus orc young first anyway, they can do a ton of damage still but mostly wear very little armour and have bad morale

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

This is pretty awesome. I'm hesitant to start over because I'm fairly sick of the "half dozen hobos in rags" phase of the game where everyone dies a lot and you have to micromanage how many bucklers you collect to sell. Hopefully high starting cash will allow me to largely skip it.

Yeah I will be playing on Veteran economy with high starting funds but expert combat difficulty. More insane fights than veteran but a much easier start and less punishing then Expert when your dudes die.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The cost is what makes them good, basically, if you hire like 200 farmers @ ~300 crowns each you'll end up with 12 complete badasses even compared to using the same 60,000 crowns to hire 12 hedge knights at ~5000 crowns each.

Just keep hiring more until satisfied, dropping your lovely or perma injured cheap hires as required. This also gives you a nice deep bench.

In my personal experience this strategy works really well and I don't start hiring hedge knights and sellswords until I'm at the point where I'm saving up to buy everyone coats of plates, unless I see one with a weapon or armour I particularly want.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Nah I like when you get a whole army of tin cans with huge swords and all your units have at least one thing that they're really good at.

The part of the mid game where you start getting 1 or 2 standout units that feel really brokenly strong for a while is fun though

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

FTL was good but i'm still convinced that the supermajority of games it generated weren't winnable in practice :(

Uh I won like 10 consecutive games on hard when I was playing that game a lot and my overall winrate once I learned how to play was definitely well over 50%, I will agree that you are correct if you don't choose one of the small number of very good ships though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Your mans will eventually get badass enough to go toe to toe with orc warriors and it feels great when they're breaking before your might

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Everyone is in mail shirts and nasal helmets, and carrying second or third-tier weapons.

If you've actually started the undead invasion proper (not just got a couple of ominous events) and this is true then you're comically behind the curve and are going to die.

Here's my personal recommendations for what to spend your money on:

1. Repeatedly hiring cheap but high stat potential recruits until you get a full band of badasses (wildmen and farmers are best, brawlers are a solid runner up and have the advantage of always being naked and therefore very cheap). This also gives you a nearly endless supply of bodies to cover churn. This might seem weird but (IIRC on exact figures, it's been a while since I looked at them) the difference between (f.e.) the average wildman and average hedge knight is only something like 10 points of melee skill and a bit of melee defense, and the price difference is so huge that you can hire literally 10 or 15 wildmen per hedge knight. Given random variation in base stats, traits, and talents, you're massively more likely to get a better brother from multiple cheap hires. Only hire expensive bros if they come with equipment you want or you already have everyone in 300+ armours. My reserves are usually just injured or slightly less skilled brothers from a previous round of recruitment but everyone gets cycled into the fights as you get worn down by successive combats so nobody gets too pissed off.

2. Decent armour is significantly more important than weapon upgrades, until you get to the point where you want to start transitioning into 2handers. Due to how the armour system works, reinforced hauberks are hugely more effective at keeping your bros alive than mail shirts. The difference in armour isn't just more HP on top of your existing HP, it also directly reduces damage taken.

3. Greatswords and 2 handed hammers have the highest potential damage output of any weapon in the game (other than contrived Round Swing scenarios and duelists with unique orc cleavers doing insane amounts of bleed damage) and also turn your brothers into tanks with high melee defense. Buy as many as you can afford.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What I'm hearing is that unless I'm interested in minmaxing I should never, ever go beyond beginner difficulty.

It's a strategy game, it's going to require you to figure out how to be efficient within the game's systems in order to win, I don't think that this is a bad thing (though the game is a little bit too coy in actually explaining how some of its mechanics work)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 17, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Well if you're having deaths with any sort of frequency at all once everyone is level 6/7+, other than on particularly unusually difficult missions / camps, I'd say that you're behind the curve on armour. You can still win, but you can't accrue the resources to allow you to continue to upgrade your armour; a sort of vicious cycle where you don't know that you're actually on the path to failure until suddenly you do a fight and all your dudes die because you never managed to get over the survivability hump.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I always throw my low levels into the back line with a bill and the heaviest spare armour I have, if they only have 40 fatigue it doesn't really matter.

I usually run 8-10 frontliners so having 1 or 2 of them training up in the back isn't a big problem. If you're naturally running more archers or polearms then it might not work out and you need more bodies up front.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Affi posted:

Can you actually win this game on Ironman? Do you just run away a lot or?

Yes and yes. I haven't tried ironman expert though, I imagine that would probably require you to use some 'intelligent' tactics (read using naked cripples to exploit the AI in almost all your early fights)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pathfinder is very good but I can't find the space to put it on every brother, 2hand tanks need all their perks for murdering faster and being able to take a crossbow bolt to the face.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That's almost exactly how I run my groups, all front liners have 2handers and the back line is just a banner guy plus 1 or 2 archers / polearm users (often just frontliners levelling up).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That would be cool, I was always a little bit disappointed that your effective weapon choices are so limited once you hit the midgame since there's almost no reason to use 1h swords or flails and 1h spears are something you might have 1 or 2 of if you particularly value spearwall. And then 2h axes aren't really all that good either so you basically have 1h maces and axes, 2h hammers, greatswords and polearms (of which, longaxes have some utility and billhooks hit the hardest but warscythes are pretty much the best)

However it is really fun to use an entire army of maces and literally beat the poo poo out of orcs so they're too tired to hit you back.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The long dead are the one thing I would like to mod out of the game, they're just not very much fun to engage with. Seems like you could rework them into a disciplined human army with similar tactics, but without the resistance to ranged attacks and infinite fatigue which makes them so frustrating to deal with.

The other undead forces are much more fun to fight even if they share some traits.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah finding a leather tanner early on is extremely helpful, especially if it's at a farming town or something. A brother with 300 gold worth of leather armour protecting him can take a huge amount more punishment than one with just a crappy tunic and hood.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I've not seen nobles pull the same "all shield wall all the time" trick, though that's probably more because they have more unit types.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Did that event replace the very similarly themed horse loving event which was in before release, or are they both things that can happen? I've still not seen the "melon mugger".

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The new banner looks totally rad

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Spam recruiting farmers is 100% worth it, if you recruit like 20 naked farmers I am almost entirely sure that you will get a better single recruit than hiring one hedge knight for 4k.

Other backgrounds don't give such a big return because they don't have the huge stat ranges that farmers have. Wildmen are pretty good as well but significantly rarer and usually a bit more expensive.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Start building some bros into greatswords, they need to be a decently high level to have enough stats and perks to not be useless, but they're good fun. You can viably have 0 shield bros, though it's useful to have 1 or 2.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If only Round Swing had some mechanism to make it even vaguely viable to use axes would be great but practically speaking 2h axes are basically single target only weapons.

Taking a huge penalty to hit and randomly murdering your own dudes is kind of a poo poo combo considering how very uncommon it is to have more than 3 targets available which can be taken advantage of by the other 2h weapons

I'll admit that long ages and handaxes are awesome though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Goblin archers have less of a penalty in the dark than yours do, because they have better night vision or something.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I actually prefer fighting orcs to anything else once I'm solidly in the midgame. Orc warriors don't actually hit that hard and have morale issues. They waste actions using shieldwall all the time and try to constantly push through your lines even when it's not advantageous to them. They're vulnerable to being overwhelmed and orc young are basically target practice for your archers.

Warlords are a pain in the rear end though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah on first examination Steel Brow doesn't seem that good because crits are 'only' 50% bonus damage to hp. But due to how heavy armour works, a crit can effectively take a hit from doing a "that tickled" amount of HP damage to "I am half dead".

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Never splash cash for 'higher tier' recruits until at least the midgame or unless you know exactly what you're doing. A number of cheaper backgrounds (farmers, wildmen and brawlers being the stand outs for cost effectiveness) have above average combat stats while still being very affordable; occasionally you might be able to get a particularly cheap squire or militiaman as well.

Then carefully save up so you can get a 200+ helmet and body armour for your best brother; if you do this quickly enough that guy is virtually invincible if you don't throw him at rediculous odds and don't get random crossbow headshot. You should be able to snowball in effectiveness at this point and start gearing up your highly armoured badasses with greatswords or 2h hammers which massively increase your group's damage output.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

SickZip posted:

I was honestly really let down by them calling it a day. Not "steam-tantrum" but I understand some of where they were coming from. It's a really good game but I just wish there was more. Give me a sequel or some DLC or something that broadens and deepens the game. It's one of the best games of the year but give me some more weapons, perks, enemies, tilesets, and the ability to ride horses and it would be one of my all-time classics along with the original xcom or civ4.

Yeah same, the game is extremely addictive and polished considering the size of the dev team but there's so many "you could just add this!" moments. The game works perfectly as is, but it could have also been heavily expanded by a followup DLC and would be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If this is a DLC announcement, my wallet is ready.