Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Great OP! I have one nitpick, though: It's not just a 'gritty fantasy world', it's a blatant and well-done homage to the Old World in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, right down to principal enemies being orcs and undead, greenskins doing mushrooms and riding wolves, and nobles asking you to 'hunt gobbos'.

It's not all it is, a lot of it is also a realistic portrayal of median age medieval life, but it bears mentioning IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

Rat catcher is an old and legit medieval job. There are still people in India that are ''rat catchers.'' Do you all think that pest control and exterminators are new professions?

Not everything is a reference to Warhammer you goddamn dorks.

The ork berserkers do mushrooms, the goblins ride wolves, and your company captain who dies in the intro is named the same things as the captain in the WHFB mercenary company simulator from 98. But what do I know, I'm a dork :iiam:

Tias
May 25, 2008

bros got gear :o

Tias
May 25, 2008

Is it still worthwhile to buy lots of goods in villages and sell them all( along with your goblinite and other loot) in the biggest castle you can find?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

However he is right in saying it's not all Hams. Just the very most explicit stuff.

Which is why I explicitly stated that it was not all of it that was inspired by WHF, just some of it!

marshmallow creep posted:

More people should hear about Darklands IMO.

What is Darklands? Can someone poke me towards a good trailer or LP?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

The historian can excise the dumb trait from a brother by teaching them to read.

Also found out undead crisis is even worse... when your brothers with the survivor trait go down, they come back as zombies pretty much immediately with no chance to revive with perma wounds.

Historian also unlocks the very nifty even in which they can decipher a treasure map you buy, leading you to the location of monster lair with a named item

Tias
May 25, 2008

Good for Noble War, doable for undead( though they will have the fatigue edge, naturally), and lovely for orcs, whose elites will clown on your armour and HP no matter what.

Tias
May 25, 2008

They're good at that, though, decent damage, pen and a cleaver!

Aw, man, I love the level of class hatred in this game. I didn't think to snap a pic, but I was chasing some thieves who met with a necromancer, and my band was all "maybe they're using the item to curse the councilman. In a certain light, that's not bad at all.. buuut, he's paying us to get it back, charge!" :D

Tias
May 25, 2008

Innerguard posted:

Dumb question but since some guys are recruited with titles (and those can be changed) is it possible for guys to earn them through the game, or are they all manually given (by deciding Brother SomeScrub got robusted enough to warrant one?)

Yeah, off the top of my head fulfilling the Sergeant ambition turns the dude you give the perk to into, well, [Name] the Sergeant.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I just realized you can sabotage spearwalls by dropping a doggo in front of the spear user! It works just like footwork or zombie rise, negating the spearwall from then on.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 27, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Innerguard posted:

Cool, are there others? Like, if a guy was repeatedly bashed on, would the game dub them something, or are there only a very few outside of pregen?

I'm not sure. I suppose there are only very few outside of pre-hire, yes.

Perestroika posted:

Another lesson learned in blood: Swamp fights suck. They suck double-extra hard when you're the side who needs to advance on the enemy, because they have a necromancer or more bows. :negative:

Getchu that pathfinder, son :getin:

Night10194 posted:

Man, battles get real nerve-wracking when you have to fight multiple waves on a defense without time for your armor to repair.

Common wisdom is to keep spare suits of armour to swap in, particularly for your front end.

Roobanguy posted:

they need to let you give basic commands for militia/caravan guards who have joined a fight. the last thing i want a mook in a cloth sack to do is charge a orc berserker.

There's an event that lets you give the militia equipment and strategy beforehand, though I agree that it should always be possible if you're fighting on the same side. I mean, c'mon, we're mercenaries, we probably know what we're doing better than Fat Erling the watchmaster.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

Bought a ridiculously expensive level 5 Hedge Knight for 14000 gold and then he only had 61 starting melee skill with 1 talent star. A lucky roll on a caravan guard can get you an equal merc for a fraction.

Bad RNG to be sure, but did he not also come with some pretty heavy gear? Usually that is at least two thirds of the cost.

Tias
May 25, 2008

w/r/t food, I usually buy a varied diet for my dudes, comprised mainly of the cheaper of the long-lasting foods like mushrooms, roots/berries and goat cheese. This is more than enough to trigger the varied food boost( I've had it two times in one game so far), and doesn't destroy my budget the way meat, wine etc. would have.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ugh, still have massive problems with hanging screens, particularly the personnel screen.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Back Hack posted:

The more I play this, the more I want a Shadowrun like version of this game; hard fantasy just doesn't do it for me like sci-fi does.

I feel you. Have you tried Shadowrun: Hong Kong? The extended version is ace.

Tias
May 25, 2008

pro-tip: Do all three at the same time :black101:

I have good experience with archers, sending one or, preferably, two guys after the necro( he often has a "bodyguard" or two of armoured wiedergangers), and trying to beat the zombies into a pulp with the frontliners. I like to keep a polearm user or two behind while the line grinds forward to take out ressurecting zombies as well.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Wildmen remain legit.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, I've clocked more hours into this bloody game than anyone I know, and while it's been fun, I have yet to actually complete a crisis.

I get to the point where a crisis starts, I take the requisite quests, and then I win one or two battles in a row, before totalled equipment and wounded brothers inevitably lose me one, and a death spiral sets in.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I deck troopers out in mail and chain, remember to use special abilities and use a variety of weapons.

For that matter, I rarely get a trooper above lvl 8 and never above lvl 9 before they eat it. How do you keep yours alive?

Tias
May 25, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

I consider reinforced hauberks (210 armour) with a 200+ helmet to be an absolute minimum for front liners by the time the first crisis starts, but ideally you already have a good chunk in something heavier.

None of my dudes can fight or move for poo poo if I give them that much armour.

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 17, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

Brawny and weapon mastery help out with fatigue once your guys level up a bit - switching to 2H weapons also helps, as it's usually less fatigue cost than a 1H weapon and shield.

So ideally I want some dudes with heavy shields and super spears to blunt the enemy advance, and then wade 2H around the sides to engage them from top and bottom, right?

Right now I mostly have a frontline and missile duders.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Post some screenies of your bros so we can point and laugh critique your sorry band.

I recently restarted, so not much to look at. I might later on!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Awesome stuffs

For those of us who really can't math, what sort of conclusions can we draw from those tables? What backgrounds are consistently better than others, if any?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I haven't been specifically keeping track, but I haven't noticed a single Wiederganger revive more than once outside of the Necromancer ability. You can also do fatalities with cleavers that chop heads off to stop resurrections, and most bladed weapons can do it on kill just by chance. I've noticed it most with 2h axes and swords, especially.

This doesn't work any longer, the wiedergänger just revives without a head.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are you sure that was a weiderganger and not a fallen hero?

Um, not any longer lol. It has happened twice, but it might have been a fallen hero.

(all undead look the same to me :ohdear: )

Tias
May 25, 2008

I try not to, but they could integrate into murderhobo society better, so I don't first realize it's a necrosavant when they rush me in the guise of bats :argh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks! It means a lot, I have a really hard time reading numbers <3

That is loving amazing, this game is art

Locke Dunnegan posted:

(Battle Brothers:) Definitely worth the perversion of equinecrophilia.

:getin:

Tias fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 25, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Note to self: don't let orcs chase you into the swamp.

I lost some good men. MVP goes to Steinar, who held off 5 orcs while standing in swamp water up to his balls with a boar spear.

Tias
May 25, 2008

TheWetFish posted:

The short answer is no, the enemy will still broadly follow it's AI

Spear wall, zones of control & Ancient Dead formations will override Taunt. Their AI has a ranked list of actions and Taunt will cause the Attack-This-Particular-Brother action to receive a higher rank than otherwise. This will often push it to the top of the list but it does depend on circumstance. Sufficiently negatively pressured actions might not get pushed high enough to matter. Spear wall, zones of control & Ancient Dead formations are particularly strong pressures

Interesting! I have seen enemies break zone of control and risk AoO to engage another of my brothers( no taunt used) without having bad morale or breaking, do you know what is the reason for this?

Tias
May 25, 2008

TheWetFish posted:

Very situational and I'm interested in what exactly happened. It's a weighted system so sometimes the positive weights will outweigh even some strong negative weights but I'd love to know the specifics

From memory I've has occurred for me when a Brother was very close to dead, armour gone. Presumably a high priority target to attack and yeah, they broke through AoO to get to them

Honestly, I don't remember at all specifics. I think a raider tried to bypass my frontline to get a swing at an archer. I know I've seen direwolves do it several times too, but I put that down to their more feral nature.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ragequit for the first time in a while. I got the event where bounty hunters show up to mug you for the head of a bandit leader you just killed, and man are they the bullshittiest bull to ever poo poo it's way onto my monitor :negative:

How the gently caress is an injured early mid-game company that hasn't yet gotten to 20 brothers supposed to take on 9 men with mail, nets and NIMBLE + loving BULLSHIT OVERWHELM while injured and with broken armor? gently caress this poo poo.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Do you get to keep the head, then?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I didn't fight a long hard battle taking down The Ox to give my prize head to a bunch of no-count munchkins :colbert:

Tias
May 25, 2008

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah just run to the left edge of the map in 4 turns and you're free of them with no additional injuries.

I still lost my standard bearer :( Oh well, got a hefty bonus for the dude's head.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, he's good, though the permanent damage debuff( Short) is kind of annoyingl.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Two questions:

- Do NPCs have perm injuries? I've just encountered a Faction Sergeant( while helping his house beat up some brigands), and he clearly has a brain damage scar on his bald pate. It could be a cosmetic finesse to show that he's a veteran, but if experienced humans( or even greenskins) could also have perm injuries, that's kind of cool actually.

- Does Brawny aid the final calculation for the Duelist bonus? As in, armour costing less fatigue by way of Brawny means a greater overall defense in the Duelist calculation?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ah. yes! Thanks :3:

E: O poo poo, better sergeant snype:

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 17, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Probably the latter. I mean, if you're going to implement it, why not do it for everyone?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Keep hitting armourers, and make sure you do it after you've annulled unsafe trade routes/raider city conditions - also, after you ride a caravan into town you will often be offered good armour.

Other than that, just raid all the encampments you can, some heavy or special armour is bound to turn up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm about fed up with fighting undead. It's like, sure, it's a challenge to get around the resurrections and placing your troops to meet them, but fighting two necrosavants three times to get at their lair is just bullshit and saps all the fun out of playing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Is throwing axe masters a legit build? Might attempt this rather than my longbows, because frankly I'm having some trouble reaching out and touching heavy knights as it is.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm thinking Quick Hands, two bundles of flying ouch and a halberd/2-hander ought to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Finally completed the game, after clocking in 299 hours. Yes, I am aware I'm an idiot.

In related news, I really, really like throwing weapons now! I never got into it because I didn't really have the impression enemies were hurting me with them, but at least in the start and middle game, they're brutal af :stare: