Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

dogstile posted:

I still don't like them because they're expensive and the use you'll get out of them isn't much because of the range.

That said, i've got a guy with unique javs, they hurt pretty well.

I've picked up two jav bundles for under 150 apiece, just had to repair them a bit myself, which seems like a decent deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Is ammo perishable? Otherwise it's just taping arrows to your nutsacks and going to town.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Is there an event with an ancient sword + historian since he's mentioned in it's description? I've already had him remove a 'dumb' trait, but nothing else yet. Do I need to keep it equipped??

Only other event I had him proc was interpreting a treasure map I bought.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Man, are they ever gonna fix the hung screens? I'm going insane having to quit and reload autosaves :negative:

Also, is it possible to regain favour with a noble house you made hostile? I had an ambition to take out a merc band, but didn't realize it made their employers insta-hostile :(

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 30, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Finally start to git gud at team building, just broke the back of an orc youth/warrior host led by a warlord without deaths and it was :krad:

Quick question, how is experience formed? Do your bros get extra xp for personally ending an opposing warrior, or is it a fixed rate for winning a scenario? Because while I'm kind of a completionist( gotta leave none alive! Also, loot concerns), if it doesn't net extra XP I might not spend my time hunting down every last straggler in a direwolf/'zehrer horde.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Wow, that orc crisis. 2 parties of 20+ wolfriders and ambushers :gonk:

Any of you nailed those, or did you run away like me? :3

E: Disregard, I accidentally engaged two hosts at once, got what I was coming to me.

Tias fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 10, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Can someone recap Orc Invasion objectives for me? Wiki says I have to keep attacking them, but I've torched a load of camps and slain two warlords now.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, unless it's changed since I experienced it they do. If you attack someone near a camp, you get all encounters at once. Hell, enemy mobs sometime try to kite me into camps and each other!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Aw yisss

Tias
May 25, 2008

Crazy Ferret posted:

I do have complaints though. The weapon system is kind of bad. There is none of that great progression from the armor system and sometimes upgrades feel too slight (with the exception of the big meaty two-handers). The differences between the weapons are a bit lopsided and lead to clear favorites but its not terrible. Sometimes I feel like I need a long break as it can feel like just samey battle after samey battle, particularly in the early mid-game when I seem to depopulate a few generations of bandits.

On a warmer note, what are you guys favorite weapons? I gotta say heavy crossbow and 2H hammer, gives most enemies a run for their money :black101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, I knew all those posts meant either a great or a depressing update :/

Also, why the hell did they decide to paint helmets in weird clown colours, and for the love of God, how do I turn it off :gonk:

Tias
May 25, 2008

If I keep playing after solving an EG crisis, when will the next appear? I'm guessing day 200, but I don't know

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yours truly even has an active, if rarely-used, thread for Curious Expedition, in case you need pointers or tips on the way :eng101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

curious expedition is on my hit list for the sale if i end up with a couple pennies to rub together. that game looks like it owns.

It really does! Often you die hilariously hard without much ability to defend yourself, and that bites, but once you hit the sweet spot riding dirty on a loving Triceratops through a fabled kingdom of mushrooms while hosed on gin you forget all that :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Y'all were( largely right), I got the first 'you see some undead acting sort of strange' warning around D175.

Tias
May 25, 2008

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The most curious thing about the curious expedition is somehow finding it in you to play again with a slightly different explorer after beating the game once.

Hard to get all the cheevos in the first go, for one thing. Also, there are wildly different playstyles that can all win you the game, and each is pretty entertaining in its own right.

Tias fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 19, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Anyone else free the Melon Mugger and have him join your crew? This game is amazing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I just recruited a melon fucker. He's pretty good!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Do wandering parties of undead count towards solving the Undead Scourge? I'm getting well tired of butting heads with roving bands of ancient guards!

In related news, holy hell warscythes are a thing of beauty :swoon:

Wizard Styles posted:

For gently caress's sake, game, if you absolutely have to make me attack a brigand fort in the swamp and spawn 6 marksmen for a rumored unique weapon, at least don't make it throwing axes.

Never even heard of that, is that a new event?

I think so. I dare not spoil it, let's just say that if you run into a group of people ready to lynch a man for unnatural proclivities, try and save him :3:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks!

BenRGamer posted:

Well, I just ran into goblin wolfriders for the first time. Nine of them.

Kinda hate things that just 'refuse to be hit'

Lost five guys in my first attempt just because none of them would actually land any hits.

I think I'm just gonna start carrying like half a dozen spears in case I run into anything like that again.

You'll want to wait till your guys pack serious armour and have above average statlines till you gently caress with wolfriders. They are extremely lethal if they can exploit an opening.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Do you field enough archers and pikes, then? I mean, one or two retreating is usual, but it seems odd that all of them could just give you the slip like that.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Man, late-game strongholds are something else. When not on mission, I'm looking at ruins that either hold 5+ marksmen AND hedge knights or two leaders, OR 15 armoured weidergängers, 4 fallen knights and 5 geists :stare:

Since I lost a lot of my lvl 12s in the last crisis, I just can't handle either. Any tips, or must I just grind easy missions till I get there?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

4 ghiests, 15 zombies and 0 necromancers is STILL an issue for me because the ghiests are loaded up with meatshields.

Exactly. I can't get at them before they've worn my guys nerves down to nothing. I think I may have to get 3 or more rally soldiers.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I just experienced an "autofail caravan" :confused: I encounter brigands, and before it asks me if I want to join battle, it just displays the message that plays when you lose a caravan detail and my mission disappeared. Both my men and the brigands remained on the map, and I killed them afterwards. Anyone experience anything like this?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I want to say there's a third tier dagger because I remember seeing it once, but it may have been edited out, 'cause I haven't seen one in 270 days.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I tried making a sniper concept with that lone wolf trait and pathfinder, but I've found it too hard to keep him far enough away from other brothers to get the benefit. Any ideas?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Finally got around to completing all missions in noble war, and it's :krad:

The final task in the army camp one( participating in a battle between knights and their armies) is pretty fun, and gives an indication of what this game could have been or eventually lead to: control of fantasy battle squads with completely individual members with their own stat, trait and equipment variables, each fighting out a part of a larger battle.

Ah well, one day :allears:

Wizard Styles posted:

Amazing stuff

This is a really cool squad, and I'm definitely going to try to emulate it. I still can't wrap my head around how your guys have so consistently high fatigue after armour? It seems like you're able to only select the finest recruits, which seems to imply that you're not playing ironman or vet, but maybe I'm just bad at games :confused:

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 30, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

I *think* I may have found a somewhat consistent counter to brigand marksman bullshittery! Place guys shieldwalling in front of your archers( and other soft targets, like inexperienced 2H wielders), and it seems like they often catch the arrow intended for your archer. I'm not sure if this is just some sort of bias, but it seems like they also catch it more often when 'walling instead of just standing in the way.

Either way, I think it works. Most of my guys are pathfinders anyway, so I can easily switch from defense to offense when their line breaks.

Funso Banjo posted:

Not any day, I am afraid.

The last patch was the last one to add any content. The devs are now working on another game and will support the game only through patches to fix bugs.

Yeah, I meant in the sense that seeing how well Battle Brothers work, someone else can make an open source version( or spiritual successor) one day and we can have unique member large-scale wars.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

loads of cool gear

Yo Styles, can you go into a bit more detail about what you learned about attacking lairs from day one? I'd really like more unique gear to round out my squishier/dodgier builds, but I don't think I'm doing it right: either the lair wipes out half my front line jobbers which I have a hard time recovering from economically, or I lose one or two of the really talented guys I'm building. What to do :confused:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

The lairs you can attack from day 1 on are extremely unlikely to give you uniques, they're just for loot. I found an amazing unique cleaver that was guarded by a dozen Ancient Auxiliaries in the first two weeks once, but that was it.
What I do in the first weeks is travel the map to gather rumors and recruits, clear ambitions for renown, fight what I can and gear up. I generally wouldn't attack anything harder than a group of Brigand Raiders during this time. Brigand Raiders give you good loot, but everything else isn't worth the risk. So mostly it's going to be huts full of basic Wiedergangers with maybe an armored one thrown in, Brigand Thugs, and Orc Young. Orc weapons are pretty great for the early game despite their fatigue cost, by the way. Ancient Auxiliaries are also good targets while they last - I don't know how early the game starts mixing in Legionaries there, but it's pretty early. Anyway, the key in these early days is more to never pass up an easy fight, because that lets you get renown, gear and levels faster.[]
You can just go after lairs in earnest once you're fully decked out in stuff looted from Raiders and your guys are mostly level 5-6, which happens pretty quickly this way. You should also be able to take noble contracts (which means patrol duty, really) by then. You might run into Brigand camps or Ancient Dead lairs that are easy enough before, but a lot of other stuff will be out of your reach.

No kidding! I got an open war grave full of ancient legionaries.. I gotta admit I took a job to turn them into auxillaries :shobon:

How often do you take actual assignments from the towns? I'm on a new playthrough trying your strategy, and I find myself grabbing one now and again to keep up with money and ambitions.

quote:

I realize none of this is 100% reliable, since you might just have incredibly bad luck and all the good uniques are in Goblin cities and Orc Warlord camps. Or they might be too far away from any taverns. Or your map might not have a lot of villages with armorers, fletchers or weaponsmiths.
But I've used this strategy 3 times now, twice on Expert, and I've always ended up with 10-15 uniques before the crisis hit. Not all of them are good, of course. And some are just unique throwing weapons I bought for 2,000 when a fletcher was happy I enabled his village's rampant idolatry. But still, I think 10 uniques before the endgame is very achievable.

All right, cool. I still find myself losing a lot of guys I could see myself building into vets, but I guess that's the cost of reliably clearing strongpoints.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The pit full of legionaries was on Day 2 :gonk:

And okay, I get you. I often let my choice of enemies dictate which way I go, marksmen, legionaries and goblins all become a lovely chore if you take too many in a row!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, that was pretty outrageous.

To anyone else following, I just want to add that Styles' "kill loving everything that moves" strategy( and it's hot cousin "follow them home and raid the lair"), has been really lucrative, in money if not yet in uniques.

Tias
May 25, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hired a Witch Hunter and he comes with a cool hat and crossbow, but he can't shoot for poo poo. :mad:

Bowyers, Hunters et al will also pull that trick on you. It's actually kind of neat how they can start out with a functional high ranged skill, but not improve well, IMO.

Tias
May 25, 2008

It really is. Get lots of strong dudes, use orc weapons for extra :black101: credit

Tias
May 25, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Your mans will eventually get badass enough to go toe to toe with orc warriors and it feels great when they're breaking before your might

One thing I really appreciate in this game is the sensation of squad growth. I have had a long, hard grind doing Styles assignment-less run getting my rear end kicked by loving German ghosts and legionaries and whatnot, and then suddenly, today, my men advanced, in perfect formation and growing morale, UP a hill and cut a group of brigand raiders and marksmen into shreds! I fistpumped, I shall have to admit.

Now they're routing berserking orks and brandishing ancient treasure, and I know in my heart they have arrived.

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 13, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's very well balanced, IMO. Goblins, wieders and direwolves may seem poo poo at first, but once you suddenly have to fend off hordes of them with frenzy, shaman/necro backing and so on, you learn to appreciate them again :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

There's a reason the first crisis doesn't arrive till approx. day 100, your guys will usually be more than developed enough, provided you made the right choices recruiting and training.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lol, just fought Baldur Four Fingers

Tias
May 25, 2008

How do allies work with regards to, for example, shieldwall actions. If a an allied footman during a noble skirmish is shieldwalling, and my adjacent brother is also shieldwalling, do they get the benefit for having two walls up?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Y'know, Necromancers aren't so bad when they stand in the front lines where my crossbowmen can snipe them before they can do anything. :allears:

Have bow snipers, and stagger your spearwall forwards. Getting the necro in the first 3-4 rounds is essential to not getting bogged down by the living dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Night10194 posted:

My first necromancer coincided with my first time doing a 'track down the stolen object' quest. A bunch of badly armed rat-catchers and poo poo stumbling on a horrifying undead raising wizard backed up by his lovely thugs was maximum Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

The many parallels to early WHFRP is what makes this game so bloody amazing. I can't remember the last time trying to stab a goblin in a fly infested swamp with a half-broken pike I couldn't afford to repair brought back my childhood like this <3