Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So I don't know how, but I beat the monolith. I backed into a corner that amusingly had a hill. My men stood on top, using rotation to swap out guys with high fatigue. since only 3-4 could approach. Crossbows sniped the ancient priest on the way back, and lucky melees early on killed most of the necrosavants.

Got a pretty special and nifty armor. Like, almost as good as the cultist sacrifice armor. The emperor will rise again indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Well then. That's uh... neat.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Nah. What's the harm? Silly peasant villages trying to burn random women at the stake. Especially during a greenskin invasion, they should be packing their poo poo and running to the nearest fort. If the cultists want to pick a fight with the marauders, let em.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Fatigue management is such an important thing that I barely even put points in health anymore. Pretty much all my frontliners get Fatigue, Melee attack, and melee defence for every level. Back line varies depending on what their role is, but few things beat a tireless, hard as poo poo to hit line of pissed of bros with heavy weapons.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Both of those things you can work around though. either with kite shields or proper support in the back line. Or just plain careful positioning.

I'm not saying it's the 'one true way' or anything. Just what's consistently worked for me.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Shields are always your friend. A cheap rear end 200 gold recruit with lovely stats still has a place in your battle line if you hand him a spear and a shield. He'll live just long enough to draw attention away from your more powerful bros and let them start killing. If your bro has a good melee attack stat and decent enough fatigue (60+ after equipping everything) don't keep him on spears. Hand him things like axes or flails to bring up the damage.

My standard formation has 5 in the back line, three ranged bros in the center flanked on either side by a pike/longaxe user. The ones up front have max of 2 with two handed weapons, and they tend to be on the edges so they can use things like cleave. Everyone else better have a goddamn shield. Kite shields are preferable.

Being overwhelmed and surrounded is a big early game killer. Fill out your ranks. Get the full 12 in every battle. Even if they're crap, it's more distribution for the damage coming at you.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Phew. Finally finished a hard campaign. Retired after the third crisis ended.

First crisis wound up being greenskin invasion. Holy poo poo that hosed the world up. The noble house I was working with managed to come out unscathed (The town I was camping around had a temple and a tavern to keep morale high and wounds healing quickly.) But the other two? One survived with a tiny village, the other had it's main citadel and a miserable mountain village left. Everything else got wiped out. Ranged bros, Longaxes, and flails were the stars of the show, plus whoever could throw a net.

Licking wounds after that fiasco, the noble war started. It ended in four days when the house I worked with took the lovely mining village (lol) and that was that. Got to build up clearing out orc camps that had cropped up all over the drat place. Got a good stable group. Ironically, two of my starting bros (shielder and ranged) were still alive. They were pretty pimped out with legendary gear.

Then came the undead crisis. First warning I got was a large bandit vs supply train battle I jumped in on. Slain footmen and bandits getting back up to gnaw on their buddies. Pretty soon it was on. The two hosed over villages I mentioned earlier bit the dust, just vomiting out hordes of weidergangers all over the place. Then the main citadel spelled the end of the other two noble houses. (Was losing pretty badly according to the ambition tracker). Luckily, the house I worked with had a fair few watchtowers and was spread out along the southern coast, so I could jump around easily. I mainly fought on the left side on a peninsula isolated with a large village and fort, and we slowly grinded them down. Every time I'd see a village or town get down to the last resource or so, I'd march over to start fighting whatever I could while keeping local contracts to bring funds in. Wound up losing a fair few bros (But not my two starters) and a lot of them to the damned necrosavants before I wised up and started carrying more nets and pulling back at the start to separate them from the legionaries.

Got the best ending when it was all said and done. Turns out the historian I kept in the back with a longaxe took off with a shitton of scrolls and wrote a lengthy biography about the company, making sure we were immortalized.

And I got a personal room in my keep to swim in all my gold.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

IAmThatIs posted:

I just had my first encounter with necrosancts. Of my 12 brothers, 3 were injured, 3 were knocked out, and 6 died.

What. The. gently caress.

They suck. Nets are your friend, as is putting a shield in your back liners' pockets.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I would like to mention the Legends mod again, as it's definitely worth a run or two if you've started to master the base game. (or want something different.)

Their most recent update added armor layering, letting you patch together your armor as you go. You start with something basic like a tunic or gambeson, then you have five possible layers to add on. The first being chain or plate, the second being leather, lamellar, or studded. Third is for tabards and other colorful poo poo, which usually gives you a minor resolve bonus. The fourth is for cloaks and the like, giving minor durability and resolve bonuses for very cheap, and the fifth is for addons you get from the taxidermist. And the R layer is for runes that you find as loot or made by your Vala enchantress if you find one.

Currently doing a Warlock run, a third of my front line are skeletons with a weiderganger bro in the center to convince enemies to advance towards the deadlier flanks. I'm noticing that the noble houses will skirmish and raid even when its not the noble war crisis, which is neat. Just on a much lower level. (Weak towns will still get conquered on rare occasions.) Keeping at least one pile of bones and a corpse to raise in battle if I need to patch a hole in my line.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

You are correct. Just download the mod, throw the zip file (do not unzip it) into the data folder, and you're golden. Want vanilla? Delete the zip file.

Edit: Hell, have the link. Enjoy. https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/60/

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I must be playing a different game, cause half the time I don't really have that level of being picky. Even with lovely stats, as long as they have the health pool and at least one star in melee defence they go in the shieldwall. Sure, later on I plan to be super picky and cycle them out with recruits that don't suck, but the difference between 'subpar rear end in a top hat with a shield in the line' vs 'no one at all' is pretty huge in keeping people I care about alive.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I mean, the middle ages also didn't have orcs, undead, or krakens either.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

poverty goat posted:

If there's never anything but courier/caravan contracts is that just luck of the draw or what?

I think I know what does. If you have low 'morality' (which is hard enough to normally do) you can get offered different contracts rarely. One of the noble contracts is ' you need to destroy this other noble's industry. Go destroy these wheat fields or harbor or whatever, but make sure it looks like a bandit attack because I don't want anyone to realize I hired mercenaries to do it.'

I've never taken it because I'm a goody two shoes, but I imagine it's a end result of that. The only reason I know it exists is because starting with the necromancer run puts you and maximum negative morality.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

I guess I should feel really silly for expecting them to ever add battle sisters

Put in the legends mod, and poof they exist. Not really much different from battle brothers either.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Like, no one is honestly defending it as something that's good or needed. Yes, it is tasteless. Yes, it is absolutely not needed to drive home the point of 'this world loving sucks'.

But why are we talking about it much further than 'hey here's a thing that sucks'? I get that it rubbed you the wrong way man, but just because other people have glazed over it doesn't mean they're all suddenly 'rape defenders'. Like how most of modern media has desensitized us to the sort of horrific poo poo people can inflict on each other, you kind of build up mental defenses against it, most of them involve just looking past it. Is that bad? You could debate that to the end of time, really. I personally wish that sort of poo poo didn't happen, but it's also not something I have the power to affect.

I guess the question is, what is the point of arguing about it? Are we expected to boycott the new expansion over it? Should we send strongly worded letters to the dude? I'm not sure what our goal is here.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

i still like the bit about wanting to show a dude that you killed a giant spider so you shove the thing's carcass against his window, nearly giving him a heart attack

But yeah, it's... Not as poignant as it thinks it is.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I wonder, just out of curiosity, how difficult it is to replace text in this game. Is it possible for some enterprising modder to change all the generally lovely tone in the text into something still fairly glum, but less chuddy?

Like most of the time I play the legends mod and use some of the added starts. I haven't noticed any egregious examples in their specific parts. They mostly lean on dark humor more than anything. ((Though feel free to point out instances where I am incorrect. I'd rather be informed.))

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

dogstile posted:

Serpents are loving dicks, jesus

Yeah forewarned is forearmed and all that. Don't expect to keep formation with these pricks. They hit hard and love yanking your dudes out of place.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Currently in my first dlc run. Halfway into the holy war. Decided to roll with the southern city states since at least one of them has been good to me for contracts and location. Mostly fighting over a few locations between them and the northern kingdoms.

Ironically, taking contracts which anger the northern kingdoms into hostility only did so for two of them. The third off to the north apparently couldn't give less of a gently caress.

As an aside, anyone know whats up with the abandoned fortresses along the roads? Haven't seem them come into play or do anything.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Ooh the noble contract to raze a location in one of their settlements sucks. Apparently if any of the defenders flees the field you don't get paid and your reputation with the house tanks. That uh, would have been nice to know beforehand. Especially since the only reason I took it was because I had the ally a noble house ambition and that was the only contract they were offering anywhere at the time. :suicide:

It DOES tell you that in the dialogue, but you'd be forgiven for skipping the 80th variation of 'ugh people are disgusting and awful, here's a description of their said awfulness and how awful you the player character are'

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I love the writing, and the tone is spot on for the ludonarrative experience. People are ugly and money is everything, smile politely when the vizier calls you a dog faced peasant because he pays you good coin to shed blood.

Sure, I'm not claiming its bad, it's just a bit repetitive when the most variation you get is 'the entire company starts a huge brawl with itself out of nowhere. Everyone gets the snot beat out of them, but they're having a grand time' +morale

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

I usually turn permanent destruction off but I apparently forgot this time. I guess it's fitting for a cult run anyway. Can any city be destroyed in the crises, or is it only smaller ones?

Any city can. Hell if you play long enough and sit on your thumbs enough, the whole map can technically get wiped out.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Star posted:

The noble crisis kicked off but like I can’t seem to join up anywhere and nothing appears to have changes in any of the cities? Is it because I haven’t done the noble ambition?

Pretty much. You need to be able to take noble contracts to join the noble war. Though you could always control click one side you don't like to make them hostile outside of contracts, and just join the brawl at random.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Iron Oath Looks neat, but tried the demo and third tutorial fight crashed. Not great.

Little more time in the oven, yes.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

You don't gotta be smart to fight, man. The thinking is for the commander. Don't throw away your brain damaged goobers.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I'm not going to read all of that, but I am happy for you that you derive enough enjoyment out of this game to entertain you for so long.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

This weirdness rolled across my feed. Takes a bit but the icons gave me a chuckle at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fONRor0ycKk

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

They're very different games, really only related by being turn based and about mercenary companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

verbal enema posted:

may or may not be responsible for getting one of my men decapitated by another man who I accidently ordered to do a round swing

oh well he was a newbie who joined on the road literally moments before

It was the melon fucker, wasn't it?