Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I have autoloot on, I still have to click a thing though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

marshmallow creep posted:

For me the dump stat is Ranged Defense because kite shields make up for it so well.

The biggest dump stat for most characters is initiative, it's gonna be poo poo anyway with gear.

I agree on kite shields though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RabidWeasel posted:

Getting a cultist to induct your whole group seems like a smart play tbh.

what exactly happens when dudes become cultists? Like if hedge knights become cultists do their stats drop?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Maybe late game when you're swimming in gold dogswarm is a good tactic but personally I just use them for stopping runners. Otherwise the gold drain from dead dogs isn't worth it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hahah, I found a Killer on the Run who had three stars in melee . . . . so I hacked him to have Drunkard and Brute.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Okay, my Noble War is almost over but man, I have some gripes. The version of Siege where you have to fight a noble house unit of 12 to 14 guys and then, immediately, fight another one, is just too much. Every other siege option seems to give you a chance to at least swap busted armors and injured men out, but the end result of the back to back fights is you have to grind your way through double your own number of high end enemy units. It sucks. The other options (catching runaways, intercepting relief forces, ambushing leadership, and the mass combats) are pretty fun!\

This seige seems to be the only option I get, I'm kinda annoyed. It's just brutal, especially as the first quest on day 80

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The tailor event isn't worth it; you're more likely, by far, to get the same armor by running terrorized town missions.

The events that are worth carrying a dude around for:

1) cultist, special helmet and armor
2) Bowyer, special bow
3) Caravan hand, cart carrying capacity upgrade
4) houndmaster, wolf pet doggy that makes wolf noises instead of dog noises
5) I've been told the historian does something but haven't verified

Something else?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
How long does the noble war last? It's so brutal i'm tempted to partially skip it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
in Noble War, how do you tell which type of seige you're being offered, I really don't want to do the two fights in immediate succession one ever again

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cerebral posted:

I'm not sure if my game is bugged or not. I was getting ambitions and completing them regularly, then I got the "Get renown to 8000" one, and after a few days I realized that I was a long way from accomplishing that goal, so I abandoned it. It took maybe 10 days, but I finally got offered another ambition, completed it, and then nothing for like the last 60 days. I haven't been offered the ambition to impress a noble house, so those contracts are denied to me, and there is a noble war going on that I haven't seen any sign of, other than a few random events to free a noble from a chain gang.

This is my first time playing, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I'm on day 150 if that matters.

My guess is that you managed to bug out the game by not doing the impress noble house ambition by the time you hit noble war. Not sure how to report bugs for this game though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Night10194 posted:

I really want a good passable historian to level (my 3 talent star melee Historian was in the last build) because Student is another classic WHFRP starting career to go with the Ratcatchers.

Yeah I can never find a decent historian. They seem to always be bleeders.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mugsbaloney posted:

Do you know if you have to actively level them or does the game just check if they're in your party? Might try to get me some skin armour.

Dunno. Tailor can be level 1 for the hides event.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Why headhunter when you can just use flails?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If bros are too upset just get them all drunk

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just give my archers Overwhelm and bows now, two Overwhelm stacks is more helpful than a crossbow's armor piercing :shrug:

This is what I've been doing also. Crossbows are for newbies or pikemen/bannermen to use before closing ranks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Someone give me tips for beating necromancers with zombies

Once the zombies are engaged, sneak a dude around the side to kill the necro.

Alternatively, kill everything till there's an opening, then rush the necro

3rd alternative, put an Archer with bow mastery on high ground and snipe the fucker

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I feel like I haven't explored the different weapons enough. Right now my basic division is:

Below 60 melee skill: use a spear
Above 60: use a flail to snake past Shields and headbash
If high melee and ranged defense: use a two handed sword

Other 2handers are really hard to use in formation but swords are perfect for your flankers.

I've used cleavers once or twice in partner with flails, for decapitations.

Daggers good for dagger parties on low morale enemies at end of fights, and for backup weapons for archers.

Otherwise though . .. 1h swords why? Maces why?

I guess warhams are good vs orcs but I feel like they're tossing away armor I could use.

Axes are decentish but you end up wasting time hitting enemy shields instead of actually doing poo poo. And that's loot you're just wasting.

Polearms also feel generally inferior to crossbows except for the Bannerman.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 3, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
so for the "privateering" quest in the Noble War mission -- I've burned down the three targets, but I can't return to base yet? I only have so many days, back in the original town but no popup saying complete. Do I actually have to kill everything I see? That would take forever, I was hoping to ninja my way past patrols here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

John Charity Spring posted:

You don't have to kill any caravans or patrols. I think you do have to burn down the locations, but the other part is optional and the time limit isn't 'do it then return', but instead once the five days are up you get prompted to return. There's no time limit on returning, unlike patrol contracts.

Do you have to do anything special to loot these caravans, or just kill the donkey, or what? Killing the donkey feels mean and these caravans don't exactly feel filled with loot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I have very definite Map Opinions

Things I look for in a map:

1) 5+ ports distributed across the map
2) cities arranged in nice convenient loops along road networks
3) lots of them big market cities
4) optional: lots of coastline it all the orc/goblin areas in a corner or on one side

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I have reached day 140 and so far only seen, much less acquired, about four unique items. I have a mail that cost me all my money at the time, a pike, and recently got a rather garbage leather outfit for bumping off a goblin shaman, and seen a mace available in the shop that's, again, wildly overpriced and barely useful. I kind of wish they'd throw us more uniques more often.

You have to really hunt them down. It's easier in non ironman because you can keep re asking in taverns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

That is an aspect of the game I underuse, I suppose. Do you know if the item is generated at the time you ask or is it already there and the game just alerts you to it if you ask at the tavern?

Though that reminds me: If you have the ambition to find locations and take contracts to smash bandit/goblin/orc camps and undead graveyards, they all count towards meeting the ambition.

It seems to be there in the world and the tavern just hits it if present, but it's hard to detect and vague. Look for the tavern text that specifically mentions an "item" or "weapon" etc. You have to triangulate so it's hard if the item spawns away from any taverns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

You also gotta consider synergies. For example, a frontline staggered with polearms on your low accuracy dudes and spears on your highest accuracy dudes means you can pour out tons of damage with melee attacks before the enemy ever has a chance to strike back.

You may say axes destroying shields are wasted turns - but if you combine them with dagger wielders, removing the shield bonus let's you avoid armor a lot more consistently.

1h Swords are great on dudes that also have hammers. Use the hammer to destroy the armor, and then switch to the sword to chew through their health. (Swords also have the best fatigue per damage ratio, you can attack twice per turn with them and RECOVER a point of fatigue if you have the mastery)

Maces have the stun ability which is just really great, and even their normal attack is good at disabling enemies. Unlike other weapons, Maces synergize best with more maces! You really need their master to use them reliably though, since it grants 100% stun and allows them to cause more fatigue to the enemy than they cost your dudes.

Getting back to this, yeah, this is what I feel like I need to figure out: which set of tactics to use against which enemies, etc.

Flails work great against Noble war enemies.

The spear/pike wall seems like it would work best against undead? Maybe orcs?

Warhammer and . . . I guess cleavers and swords vs orcs?

Maces seem like also an anti orc weapon mostly?

I feel like in a group of twenty dudes, I have room for about four to six back liners (mostly bows, maybe two banner/pike/xbow dudes), about four to six two hander users (do far I prefer greatswords, maybe two hammerers for flanks), and that leaves 8 to 12 shieldwall guy slots I'm never quite sure how to specialize.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RabidWeasel posted:

Map seed also determines starting brothers' traits. There's a thread on the Steam forums if you want to enjoy having actually useful brothers with iron lungs.

Oh god I'm gonna generate a shitload of seeds again aren't I?

Need iron lung on the two hander guy and quick/eagle on the archer plus five ports!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Can you pull seeds from old saves?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I used an editor called FlexHex that was a free download.

One thing: changing the dude's stars by that guide isn't helpful because it seems all the values are rolled loong before for each levellup, like at character creation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
32f44a is a good seed. Only four ports, all on the bottom half of the map, but starting bros:

shieldbro: brute, survivor
axebro: iron lungs, determined
bowbro: eagle eye, fearless

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You mean a town with a gem mine? That's a thing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

grill youre saelf posted:

any seeds with gems? I've been reloading forever

This might be one with the gem mine in ruins:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/97232749921988332/15BE77474C7F1C77DD009E846B4C5638306AC2D0/

not sure

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Clark Nova posted:

I guess new javelins you pick up in town marinate in awesomeness by being carried around in the same bundle with the Named ones.

You pick them up after each fight and refurbish them. They're javelins of Theseus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I 'd just like a mod that made the maps 3x size. And a built in starting dudes editor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
actually realpost, what I'd like to see:

1) Dungeon and other interior combat maps. City streets?

2) map editor and bro editor

3) seasonal changes and a calendar of seasonal events, complete with random start time in the year

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Maybe some like boss monsters. Like a dragon.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
drat, where's that come from

Hammerstein posted:

Protip:

Next time you get that event you better have a ministrel in your company.

what happens?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lunethex posted:

The armor? There's apparently a Black Monolith on every map. There's nearly 50 Ancient Legionary/Honor Guard/Priests backed up by a posse of Necrosavants. If you win you get the armor. There's a helmet which I have no idea how you're supposed to get. Random?

Ahh, that's what you get from that. I've also had an event where a map leads me to a "drowned temple," maybe that's the hat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
94c40d is a pretty good seed.

Two hander has strong and bloodthirsty, archer has tiny and bloodthirsty, map has a gem mine and a good distribution of roads and harbors.

Only downside is the shield dude is kinda crappy with bad traits.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 6, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I aim for 40+ base but it's a low priority. Maxing out a good sergeant is generally enough.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Brawlers are great regular melee dudes, good stats all around.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Battle Brothers: Kara-Tur Expansion Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I need to sit down and write out my newbie tips.

Spearwall for the first ten days. After that, move to flails and daggers on half your guys. Use the flails and daggers to kill raiders without destroy in their gear. Do that and by day 20 or so you should have a nice load out of mail, kite shields, and good weapons.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 7, 2017