Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I bounced off this game years ago but I tried it again recently and I'm enjoying it.

After an easy tutorial and trader run I've been doing cultists. I also wanted to explore an all skirmisher build idea I had and figured cultists would help me lean into that. The idea is that cultists have pretty good starting resolve, fatigue, and health but low mdef, att, and ratt. Normally that's pretty bad, but since all the secondary stats are solid and grow with sacrifices you can level up both attacks and mdef every time. Bros end up pretty good but not great at everything. Throwing is really strong with a natural hit chance bonus and you can pair it with shields, duelists, or two handed weapons easily. I also used swords heavily since they have a natural hit chance bonus.

In practice I ended up drifting a little bit from the concept by converting some thieves and brawlers for my tanks on the corners of the line. They still had quick hands but their ranged was so low I just gave them polearms or whips to switch to and used those levels on fatigue and health.

Early game wasn't too hard because I just tore through dumb farm boys for victory. I hired cheap and didn't mind if I lost non-cultists bros every fight. It got harder in mid game though, the fresh farm boys weren't cutting it anymore but the cultists weren't good enough to take on the nastier stuff. I had to be really careful about my contracts and felt pretty weak. An issue I ran into is that the really good sacrifice bonuses don't kick in until late in the game, the sacrifice event is just too slow and you can be unlucky with progression even when you get it. I was also using so many throwing weapons that it was hurting my income and I had to search every town for ammo. Cultists are cheap normally, but the skirmisher thing meant every fight cost like 500 gold.

Around day 80 things turned around again. By then I had a team of only high level cultists and slaves, with a couple spots open for strong converts. Payouts were high enough that the ammo cost didn't matter anymore. I cleared the orc crisis easily. I was pretty disappointed in the sacrifices though.

I'm around 180 now and doing the second crisis. The highest cultist is still only 4 candles but I got the unique armor. I'm feeling ready to start on some end game content. I've also been looking for dumb sellswords because they'd be perfect skirmisher cultist converts but I haven't found a single one. For fun I also picked up a knight, I just give him happy powder when he's upset. I've thought about getting sellswords or beast slayers and trying to farm them for brain damage but I think that would be frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU