Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I'm not generally interested in the more niche ones unless we're talking about some hypothetical 400 day campaign where I have spare sets of endgame armor lying around with different attachments for specific encounters.

In terms of armor stacking, light padding comes out mathematically ahead of +40 attachments unless you don't care about fatigue, but they're still accomplishing the same goal of maximizing your raw armor total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
They're an extremely rare enemy that only shows up in specific endgame encounters. Those are supposed to mix up the combat formula.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It was mentioned in one of the earliest announcements, yeah.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You also have the option of closing to melee quickly so they can't safely lob an inaccurate area template at the place where your soldiers are concentrated.

Like c'mon dude you're raging in advance about an enemy we have no details about and that a typical campaign will probably fight 0-2 times while also namedropping Necrosavants of all things as the problem children of the opposing rosters.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Also remember that City State armies don't field conventional ranged units, so your archers will have the option of pushing forwards more aggressively to headhunt Engineers without having to worry about getting focused down by a dozen crossbowmen.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Would be an interesting counter to the old 'sixteen Goblins on a hill' encounter.

tentacles posted:

what looks to be a big "you lose" button from the devs.

Okay

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 4, 2020

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, Ironman is definitely a thing to do once you're already experienced enough with the game to judge appropriate encounter strengths for your party and understand the various gimmicks of unconventional enemies - otherwise you're going to have 20+ hours wiped every time you have a learning experience.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Veryslightlymad posted:

That seems like a really :yikes: concept in general, but at the single worst possible time in human history to run with it.

Yeah, it was one thing to have slavery exist in the setting and interact with that society, but an enthusiastic paragraph on slave whipping mechanics was...

...well, this might be the one I don't buy.

Dreylad posted:

Yeah it's not great. IIRC the Mamluks were slave armies, and the Ottomans had the Janissaries, so it's not completely nuts. Just very much less than ideal timing.

I mean even if we're looking at slave armies, there's a lot of daylight between 'Professional army where the soldiers are state property' and fodder people being whipped into battle like loving Skaven.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 13, 2020

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm trying to imagine the brain of a person who sees a system of brutal repression and immediately relates to the one holding the whip.

That's apparently what they were assuming everyone would feel.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
They seem to be doing a reasonable job of not stepping on that one - the religions in the religious war aren't trying to be analogues to Christianity and Islam and the war itself is being portrayed as a mutual conflict where neither side is 'morally correct' or whatever. The initial background for slavery was pretty :yikes: but they've walked that one back.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Interesting changes to the Mortar shown in the latest preview video - it looks like the shell no longer scatters, but instead takes a turn to arrive after being fired. This seems a bit more 'fair' from a game design standpoint since it has a predictable mechanic that gives the player an opportunity to play around it, but it might also make it more dangerous in practice if reliable targeting means the enemy can tie you down in melee and then mass debuff your formations.

The Southern States in general seem like they are set up to encourage unconventional tactics - they have lots of area attacks and debuffs that can wreak havoc on the usual shieldwall, but they don't have any conventional ranged units and their high-threat specialty units like gunners are lightly armored, so good archers might be able to pick them off if you can keep your main line from getting engaged for a few turns (and gunners in particular seemed to do almost nothing to soldiers in heavy armor with a shield).

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah it is worth considering that the new consumables should be some wild power spikes in tough fights that the AI will have mercifully limited access to.

Now tell me about the Chosen rework!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Underdog is also nice because it's doing the most work when you're in the direst need and mitigates disaster by preventing the damage outright rather than 'saving' the bro at death's doorstep.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mazz posted:

You could kite lindwurms around by the tails not having ZoC and the head being locked to the tail move, which was always first. They are limited into a certain movement pattern by this and you could force their target choice by proximity, meaning you could outreach with polearms and archers with organized movements each turn. This ends that completely, which sucks since it made groups of them way more bareable to fight. Oh well though, it was extremely time consuming to actually do against more than 4-5.

They better drop some good loving treasure after this patch.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

golden bubble posted:

Battle Brothers has far fewer ways to come back from losing several high level bros. Your top tier guys are much more irreplaceable in this game than in XCOM. Also, each new mid/late enemy has a serious gimmick that can wipe your squad if you approach it wrong without knowing it. It doesn't even try to ease you into the enemy progression like XCOM. Battle Brothers isn't a good ironman game, through it is a good game.

This is kinda where I came to on it. Trying to Ironman this game successfully seems to just mandate being extremely conservative with fight selection, and the experience suffers when you're going out of your way to avoid anything that might pose an interesting challenge.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I tend to value the first star in a stat more than the others because it guarantees all the rolls on that stat will be usable. An ordinary brother probably loses 3-4 points off a core state over their career if you aren't willing to take a +1 (and generally speaking, I'm not), which means the guaranteed decent rolls turn that star into an effective +8 instead of a +5.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

redreader posted:

I just restarted and had a 2-handed axe guy to start with, 60 melee attack and 2 stars on it. I decided to listen to the thread so I put my best armour (80 for the first mission!!!) and best helmet (50) on him and he got one shot by a first-mission-one-skull thug.

I think someone said this already, but to reiterate, even bros with good potential still need time in the oven before they're ready to fight without a shield. Early in the game, most people will start out in the shield wall with a spear or sword unless they have high enough starting melee attack not to need the accuracy bonus, and they level out to their real careers as they develop and the equipment they need becomes available. Great recruits get polearms and go in the back rank to insulate them from random strokes of bad luck like the above, and when the company has reached the point where it can field a full roster that becomes the default starting position since later encounters are dangerous enough that a new brother is in grave danger on the front lines no matter how hard I try to protect him.

As for when to actually switch over to a 2-hander, I generally wouldn't do it until they have ~20-25 melee defense without a shield, a heavy set of armor and enough fatigue to properly wear it, and a decent set of defensive perks like Battle Forged and Reach Advantage. I might be more conservative than most, but it's pretty typical for my companies not to field any 2-handers until a bit before the first crisis, even if I've got a few brothers intended for the job, simply because we're don't have the levels and gear to do it properly yet.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah if you have less indebted than non-indebted, your other backgrounds start taking some really hefty morale penalties. You can't go on that way for long.

Just go full people's revolution and eliminate the managerial class imo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It sounds like you are bouncing off the basic combat mechanics and don't like the game, either out of frustration or simply because this isn't the kind of thing for you. It takes a fair bit of effort to get comfortable with the fundamentals and the game can be very unforgiving, so there's no shame in deciding it's a bad fit and moving on.

If you want to try to improve on things, you'd probably want to be looking at guides rather than mods. There are some mods that smooth over rough patches in the UI, but they aren't going to help you with "the combat doesn't make sense to me and I don't understand how I'm supposed to get better at it".

Patches have changed some of the details, but Hieronymus Alloy's guide in the second OP covers some of the fundamentals and people in this thread can happy to answer questions about anything else.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Lord Bude posted:

The trick to ancient dead is being able to kill the front line fast enough to take out the pikemen out the back.

I think you are misstating yourself a little bit here - the key to the fight is to kill the Pikemen. The simplest way to do that is to kill the Legionaries up front, but that's not the only way to get at them. The frontliners have a mopey enough melee attack that I've had a lot of success just walking past them - they have a hard time hitting anyone with decent melee defense, and getting pressure onto the pikes early makes the fight much less dangerous. Using split attacks to hit them from the front or mace stuns to open holes are all great, but the priorities in the fight are skewed enough that even more aggressive tactics can be rewarded.

Honestly, the realization that a good bro could just walk away from a lovely fodder piece tying him down to focus on something more dangerous was a bit of a gamechanger for me.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

rideANDxORdie posted:

In the very early game I'll get guys with good rolls (using the mod that shows stats/talents on tryout) even if the stars are not ideal if they have good traits or have a background that lets them roll 60+ MAtk just to get to six guys minimum. I don't really know how people play only getting true late game all star recruits outside of mass savescumming or editing files - it's a total crapshoot and you don't have the money to spare in the early, early game. I usually end up with 3 or 4 guys who end up getting placed on the flanks to die gloriously once I'm ready to start hiring more expensive, better backgrounds

Bude also mentions that they savescum recruitment, which is a reasonable way to play the game but probably deserves more emphasis in their posting since it drastically changes the quality of recruit you'll have available and the bar you'll set to keep someone around.

Even if you aren't savescumming it's still generally worth it to roll every farmer / fisherman / brawler you can afford, but it will crimp your finances early on and you're still not gonna find the true A++ Bros because it's not worth the gamble on a Hedge Knight to find out he has 62 melee attack and no stars.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Broken Cog posted:

It's not useless if you don't savescum.

It's not great since it still doesn't given enough information for you to evaluate them as a candidate.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Broken Cog posted:

Literally what I did, they still took me down since they would always get in a hit or two at <5% chance, and that was enough to take down most of tanks to uselessness.
My entire backline of polearms, archers and gunner has overwhelm, and most of them has fearsome.

Your tanks are spamming Indomitable, right? The guys basing the Lindwurms really want to be spamming Indomitable and don't really care about anything else other than holding on for dear life.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ixtlilton posted:

Good map seed, that's about it.

That and you will probably have to deal with a merc company with a hit out on you earlier than you'd really like to fight them (running away can be an option).

If you can avoid getting owned out the gate it's a very powerful party - your starting brothers are very good without the insane upkeep of Gladiators or any of the roster limitations of other companies, your campaign bonus is excellent for gearing up out of the early game, and your drawback goes away naturally over time (with an eventual option to expedite the process with some reparations).

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The Mace is basically the only choice for 1h + Shield loadouts. Their job isn't to do damage, it's to be useful, and stunning a target is more useful than anything else any of the other 1h Weapons bring to the table.

The only exception I can think of is using a Spear bro to control space, but lategame spear damage output is so terrible that I don't usually bother - if I have one it all, it was probably trying to salvage some jerk with Iron Lungs and fantastic stats except for capping out at 70 MA.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's worth noting that a lot of the southern backgrounds are virtually identical to an analogous northerner, although presumably with different events and a few minor stat differences. Gladiator = Sellsword, Nomad = Raider, and Manhunter = Militia.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Your Level 13 Iron Lungs Hedge Knight with perfect stars isn't a normal human either.

That said, the real issue with Barbs isn't their stats being too high (tons of Human enemies get to lean on raw stat lines that a comparable bro could never reach) - it's the encounter design. A Chosen is the kind of super high-threat opponent that normally gets peppered into an enemy composition as a priority target that you're meant deal with proactively (think something like an Orc Berserker, where the typical advice is to take advantage of their low defenses and kill them before they get to melee or suffer the consequences)...except instead of being the marshmallows in the cereal you fight a big ball of all Chosen and they don't have any particular weakness to exploit.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I like the idea of Ironman in this game and I try to minimize my use of saves, but the game doesn't lend itself very well to it in practice, especially if you aren't already an expert at it. The game doesn't really have recovery mechanics and a single bad engagement can easily end a campaign, which pushes you towards being very conservative in your risk management and studiously avoiding any fights that could present a satisfying challenge. It's just less fun than being able to take on a real banger of a battle without having to bet the campaign on it.

This is compounded by the fact that many of the enemies are built around unique mechanics that need to be countered by special strategies, often including equipment and other preparations that need to be made at the campaign level before you even load the battle. Fighting something like Lindwurms without preparation is basically guaranteed to be a disaster, and if you're trying learn the game on Ironman you're going to have a bunch of runs that get out of early game and then die the first time you encounter an opponent with a new gimmick.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

rideANDxORdie posted:

Goblin ambushers can be surprisingly lethal once you finally get into melee, they have quick hands and decent enough MAttack to have an okay shot at landing punctures through your armor.

This is something to be very aware of if you're a beginner (and another reason not to undervalue raw health on frontliners). Goblins will die quickly in melee, but they are also dangerous enough that you can't be reckless about forcing the issue. Even a good brother in thick armor can find the tables turning on them in the worst way if you send them to base two Ambushers uphill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I agree. XCOM also has the difference of allowing you only a limited degree of selectiveness in your fights. You can pick the easier missions and be willing to abort, but the terror missions are still gonna roll around and in general you will be placed in challenging situations no matter how cagey you're trying to play. This is good, because the challenging fights are generally the most interesting and engaging.

Battle Brothers doesn't put you in the same spot, or at least not with anything like the same frequency. If you see a fight that looks like it might be real trouble, you can and probably should avoid it on Ironman because any individual fight is ultimately optional and losses are such serious setbacks. This encourages are conservative style of play that misses out on the fights that would ordinarily be the most fun.