Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Do peasants count, though? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Is there a reliable source for more advanced ranged weaponry? I've got most of my dudes fitted out decently well with mail and morningstars, flails, and bilhooks. It's just my two archers who are still loving about with a light crossbow and a shortbow, respectively. I've visited a fair number of towns and cities, but all the marketplaces still only have shortbows at best, while the weaponsmiths stock only melee weaponry.

You need to find you a fletcher.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Does the game model the other companies pursuing contracts and stuff like that? If it does it could be good to take 'em out just to stop them beating you to the punch. I hope they do more with them down the road, 'cos it could be pretty cool to make the merc business even more (literally) cut-throat.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

It'd be pretty cool if you could go on a contract that other mercs were already on and have to directly compete or cooperate with them to get the job done then maybe double-cross them or get double-crossed trying to turn it in. Or, be big buds with them and stand in solidarity against a shady-rear end employer who tries to stiff one or both merc companies on payment, maybe threaten to burn down their podunk town or something.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Then again, there's running costs to think about in the short term.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Hiring and firing guys to churn through them feels really gamey so I don't bother doing that, but as far as recruitment I've only rarely picked up an advanced recruit that was worth the money. I usually just go for farmhands and the like, dudes who have enough stamina to carry a shield, a weapon, a decent helmet and some good armour, which is what they really need to be survivable enough to get good anyway. You can have all the stats in the world but if your stamina sucks in the mid to late game you're dog food without even the tin can to hold it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I've had a few good bastards here and there but yeah, for the top tier hires raiders and sellswords are surely the most reliable. Think I've only had the one hedgeknight and he didn't last long enough for me to form an opinion one way or t'other. The old dudes, retired swordmasters or whatever they are, have such abysmal stamina that I can never field them with the armour they need to survive.