Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ShootaBoy posted:

Name him Gheistbane.

Name him Buster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Drakenel posted:

So I don't know how, but I beat the monolith. I backed into a corner that amusingly had a hill. My men stood on top, using rotation to swap out guys with high fatigue. since only 3-4 could approach. Crossbows sniped the ancient priest on the way back, and lucky melees early on killed most of the necrosavants.

Got a pretty special and nifty armor. Like, almost as good as the cultist sacrifice armor. The emperor will rise again indeed.

Using terrain and rotate is honestly super effective for taking out huge numbers of undead.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Maces work well against all enemies. Undead can be stunned, orcs can be exhausted, bandits and nobles can be both.

I also like to still use two spears into the end game, because I like... funneling, I guess is the word?

So my frontline looks like:

S - Spear/Dagger Dudes
P - Polearm(preferably WarScythe or Longaxe)/GreatSword Dudes (for that two tile deep attack)
F - My main frontliner dudes. Mace/Dagger dudes are common but I've played with different setups depending on the enemies.

SPSFFFSPS

or, if I don't need my archers I can let the enemy move in between the two polearm dudes who can then Split them.

SPPSFFFSPPS

As the battle progresses, the spear dudes will actually move forward to encircle the enemy a bit at the first opportunity.

Giving my two-handers polearms means that with berserk and reach advantage can be used at range which is great, imo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I have used the billhook special a few times.

The thing that really sucks about billhooks and pikes compared to longaxes is how often they fail. If they worked consistently that might be a powerful tool, but you cant base a strategy around repositioning when you only get one shot and its so easy for it to go wrong AND you have to sacrifice the chance of doing damage to do it.

It would also be cool if you could pull them into a spearwall space and have them trigger it.

I also make heavy use of combo Polearm/Two Hander dudes on my frontlines so I mean I do sometimes want to pull the enemy in but I dont want to give up my attack to do it! And hook doesnt count for RA I dont think.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Duelist seems kind of pointless on a dagger dude, tbh

But other than that and pathfinder, that's basically my frontliners have right now.

Combining the overwhelm with the dodge AND the shield AND Nimble is actually really satisfying

My dudes have:
Pathfinder/Student Gifted (every extra point in defense and offense helps!)
Dodge
Fast Adaptation
Recover
Dagger Mastery
Overwhelm
Nimble
Duelist Rotation
Fearsome
Berserk

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 7, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Id recommend beginner if you do ironman and veteran if you dont

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

At least be able to hire another mercenary company to aid you!

(and then kill them for the loot when they betray you and try to claim it for themselves)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd particularly like a shot of the frontline pikes/spear formation I've heard people talk about, and any others that people find really useful. Thanks!

I still run with this, although it's modified from how I use to use it. I will provide screenshots when I get home of my current mid-game group.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

This is my 3 spear + 2 long-reach weapon lineup in effect. Works great against nachts, wolves, wieders, auxiliaries, and orcs. They're too dumb to go for the edges as long as you don't hang a guy in the 2nd line out farther than half a hex.

Why not just make the polearm dudes additional 2 hander guys and get some free hits even after the enemy closes?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

And on the flip side, deserters are similarly priced and absolutely awful

I've had a good deal of luck with deserters, but honestly Militia is basically my go to "base" recruit type. I always snatch them up when I see them and have had great luck with them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

dogstile posted:

So, I just finished the undead crisis.

Is that it, really? No giant battle for the end? Last thing I did was just defend a town, even then its an exercise in letting the legionaries hit my lines, then swapping everyone to 2h swords and chopping the gently caress out of their backline.

Didn't lose a single town. Suppose i'll just keep going and acquiring more fancy armour until the next crisis runs around. Here's hoping for noble war!

Arent you suppose to defeat a boss to end it? And get the saviour message thing?

You might have simply outlasted it rather than ending it, and someone else beat it back for you

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I wonder - if you get the noble war crisis enough times, can you win? What happens if one house completely takes over the map?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, the "bosses" are fixed locations and don't figure in the crisis except insofar as they probably poo poo out spawns. Black monolith, goblin capital, and there's probably still an orc fortress.

For some reason I thought the Orc Warlord was a boss of the greenskin invasion. I guess killing him ending it was just a coincidence.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

So for the undead scourge I got a quest to retrieve an item from a site. I cleared the site, but the item wasn't there and I was redirected to the black monolith. Am I screwed? What happens if you cancel a contract during a late game crisis?

Site numbers are influenced by contracts. This will be the easiest black monolith oppotunity you will ever have, at least give it a try

On the other hand doing it as part of a request means you dont actually get the reward so... yeah cancel that poo poo

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Change of subject: Are there some backgrounds I should shoot for or avoid? I keep having really good luck with farmhands, beggars, and peddlers for stars on good stats, but I don't know how much of that is luck.

Stars seem pretty random, but its worth remembering that a star is, on average, only a five point increase on a max level character, on stats you will always take on every single level up.

Someone with 47 melee attack and three stars just cant hold up to someone who started with 60 melee attack and no stars until the very end of their career and by then the difference is trivial and before then hes a weak link.

I have personally had the best luck with militia. Reasonable cost and a good spread of stats for line men.

Hunters are also quite good across the board but esp. great for range even when they dont roll any stars.

Range and fatigue both have higher than normal roll bases and higher than normal variance so stars are less meaningful than you might expect in terms of final outcomes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ranged skill ranges from low 30s to mid 60s starting doesnt it?

I cant recall ever seeing melee skills below like 45.

Thats what I mean by higher than normal variance. For skills like ranged and fatigue background matters a lot more than stars

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 16, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Stars are also worth less on skills you wont take every level up or you only want to get to a certain acceptable level, because then you can always JUST take the high rolls.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

From what I can tell difficulty is based on renown and calendar date more than on your bro's levels. I could be wrong, but that's another part of the calculation on taking Student on everyone -- get ahead of the curve and make sure you have some level 11 guys by the time the crisis hits. Either way though that's probably the most controversial advice I have in there so I tried to make clear it's optional.

Defs confirmed renowned has no effect on difficulty beyond allowing you to pick the more difficult missions.

Wealth, Team Size and Character levels are the big drivers of difficulty, with time being a small modifier but one that obviously never goes away unlike the other two.

I've been experimenting by playing games with very small times and it really is obvious how much easier things are than when you race to a team of twelve (and have the enemy difficulty scale based on that).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

Turns out I got to meet adult orcs for the first time. Try my usual "pepper with arrows to thin out the herd" thing, only to have arrows that hit do barely noticeable damage. When they got in my face my melee weapons were of a similar result, except for the single greatsword I purchased.

Daggers + Overwhelm + Fearsome are just super nice and satisfying against Orcs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

Never tried dagger dudes, but is fearsome necessary if you're using overwhelm? Seems like you'd be doing at least 15 damage regardless, making it redundant. Or is fearsome for the regular strikes?

Overwhelm is not Penetrate!

But yeah Fearsome is so you can attack the Young (only 60 to 120 armor when armored) and Berserkers three times with the lower fatigue cost regular attacks, possibly against multiple targets, and force them to flee first or get overwhelmed if they don't. You'll want to switch to penetrate once you start hitting the Warriors directly but even before that you might opt to Overwhelm them with regular attacks to keep them locked down.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah I made the mistake in my first couple games of getting the group achievements (like get 12 bros) too quickly along with doing too many contracts early so all the enemies outclassed my low level guys.

Doing contracts and getting achievements doesn't really make enemies any stronger,. Having more dudes definitely does though.

Attacking Caravans makes both related towns AND houses hate you. Quite a lot. Which is good in someways because hey, it's an excuse to murder small patrols and take their armor.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

fspades posted:

Who should I kill to end the greenskin invasion and how do I find him? I already killed an orc warlord.

Kill more of them until you break the back of the orc forces. Pretend you are playing shadow of mordor

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

To hurt them bad enough. Destroy camps, kill bands, take out leaders, complete missions against them. The NPCs will be doing this too so you can always stay far away and just try to wait it out as well

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I would love the idea of a standard goon world with a standard starting team and actually discussing specific recruits and stuff. Makes them feel less random and more special even ino

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I like having 6 to 8 archers in my regular team, personally. Archers are great. Murder who they can and overwhelm who they cant so my melee duelist dudes and two handers can tear them apart in relative safety.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 30, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Unzip and Attack posted:

Found something interesting just rerolling starting position. Seeds don't always spawn with the same resource nodes - in 166270 the gem mine Schachtheim only seems to be there very rarely, other times it's a ruin and doesn't produce anything.

Ruins are created by bandit raids and rebuild over time. is it still gem mine after being rebuilt?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Remember that ranged skill grows faster than other skills. the average for no stars is 30 gained by lv11 not 20

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

That means someone with 60 base and no stars will still hit the 90s most of the time, potentially higher. Minimum 80 and max 100. I like to give these guys crossbows and do massive damage and the perks to match.

35 base skill and three stars averages about 80 so still acceptable but not great and they will be a lot less useful a lot longer. Tops out at 85, bottoms out at 75. Still occassionally beats that base 60 recruit by the end though... assuming he lives long enough. I would actually focus on an overwhelm based build for these guys though since the stars mean reliable accuracy boosts whenever you roll bad for one of the primary skills of init and fatigue and ranged defense and aim to have him in the mid 60s but a super reliable debuff archer with a bow.

The "one star equals five points" equation still holds true but good to remember if backloads your gains and leaves you a bit more at the mercy of chance.

I also always throw gifted on my archers for that extra 4 points of ranged attack accuracy, initiative, and fatigue.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 1, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Check attack tooltips for bonuses to hit. Crossbows come with +15% chance. This is a T2 bow vs a T1 Xbow. In general, crossbows have better hit chance and better armor penetration per shot, but only one shot per round and shorter range.

You should compare the Full Shot tot he Crossbow shot. Bows also get a bonus to hit if you're only shooting once per round, and are actually more accurate at ranges of >=5 tiles.

Bow:
+10% chance to hit,
-2% to hit per tile distance

Crossbows:
+15% chance to hit
-3% chance to hit per tile distance

(Spiked Impaler: +10% chance to hit, -3% chance to hit per tile distance)

The accuracy bonus difference of crossbows is quite minimal, and I never quite understood why people say they are better for unskilled archers.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Anyone tried a heavily armored/shielded dagger bro with dagger mastery and overwhelm? Seems like that could be pretty rad with the 3 attacks mastery grants.

You need Adrenaline to proc the overwhelm in that situation, and that's gonna murder your fatigue. Iron lungs and recover would be required to make it work, really.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

that 5-8% effective accuracy rating is better put into perspective as 2-3 levels for unskilled archers.

What?

Good point about the bow +chance for single shot, but I still think the crossbow outperforms if you are planning on shooting only once per round. Said another way, if you need the +to hit bonus from bow singleshotting, you should probably just go crossbow instead (imho).

Crossbows are definitely worth using, but them having better accuracy isn't really one of the reasons. Of course, most of the situations where I'd want the +accuracy are situations that would be out of range for a crossbow, so...

I actually give my low accuracy archers bows so I can shoot twice per turn and ignore the chance to hit and hopefully gain some 'random' hits. Then they get overwhelm and this strategy gets even better.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 2, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

dogstile posted:

They immediately make a guy slightly better and i'm always going to give a crossbow to my bannerman, because he can fire, swap weapons and stab someone (with quick hands) on the same turn.

Yeah, my point is just the shape of that better isn't generally "higher accuracy".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

dogstile posted:

To be fair, if you could do that with bow's he'd still get the crossbow, because he's only firing once and the extra % is better than none. The second you can fire twice, the extra % to hit is meaningless.

But you're potentially giving up a shot at all on the first turn of combat, and then getting an accuracy penalty vs. bows on the second. It's only an extra % to hit after the lines have closed, and at that point most lovely bowmen will be switching to polearms anyway (which if you have quick hands and never had to move means you might get back that one attack)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If you got a light nimble dude each attack also overwhelms!

So I think I am gonna try a new gimmick team - 100% ranged bros. Bows in back and crossbows/throwing weapons in front with melee equipment in their bag (depending on whether i am fighting undead)

I expect it will be very expensive hahah. So everyone will have daggers as their backup melee weapons to try and steal from the survivors who make it into range.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

you kinda got the short end of the stick with that. Daggers don't need armor penetration/damage and good dodge tanks are a rare.

Daggers need good armor pen and damage if you're actually building a dagger fighter. Puncture is a "special occassions only" sort of move.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Is there anything more frustrating than having the dagger squad ready to shiv a guy with nice armor and him breaking before the sixth guy gets there and ruining that armor on attacks of opportunity?

I mean other than actually good brothers getting gibbed, of course.

Yeah it's pretty garbage

Got to make sure to COMPLETELY surround the guy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

That's pretty cool. I tried to make throwing weapons work but couldn't before; this may change things.

Can you post a screenshot of how you build those bros?

I tend to dual spec my archers for throwing AND archery since neither requires a full set of perks and you need throwing axes against undead to make them useful.

So roughly Fast Adaptation, Quick Hands, Bow Mastery, Overwhelm, Throwing Mastery, Bags and Belts, Killing Frenzy, Berserk, Duelist

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

So if I want a guy who can hit 90 Ranged attack for the achievement, but my map doesn't seem to have any forested communities that spawn hunters, what should I be on the look out for?

Tundra towns also spawn hunters I believe. Head north!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

I just had scourge start in my game with all my archers :( Time to start training some pikemen.

Nope, now is time to start accumulating throwing axes and continue putting those archers to good use by destroying the enemy pikeman from safety

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Especially since more bros literally increases the number of opponents and difficulty of fights.

Also for those saying they arent finding uniques in lairs, are you making sure to hit up taverns first to trigger the rumours that identify WHICH lairs you should be raiding and possibly even spawn them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The overseers crossbow is incredible, shame you missed out on it. Glad you figured out the strategy though! I assume you were making sure to fight them at night as well?