Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Artifact throwing axes should go on your archers so they can wreck skeletons from a distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh wow I only just realized they made bags and belts worth taking again. I wonder when that happened.

Still sad they made fast adaptation not work against ghosts anymore. Ghosts are the worst.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

and uuurk i was thinking Fast Adaptation would be a good thing on a swordie VS ghosts but apperntly not now

Maybe it still works with melee attacks? I havent actually checked that. It used to work with ranged attacks though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ugh, was having so much fun getting back into the game, killing raiders and orcs and undead. Great times all around.

Then every encounter becomes loving skeletons and now I don't want to play anymore

God I loving hate skeletons, I wish I could remove them from the game. They are just so... unsatisfying to fight. They are all mostly identical so there's no real prioritization beyond kill the fuckers with the pikes first. They having boring but effective behaviour. Immune to all the fun stuff like fear, injuries, and ranged attacks.

It's just... even if I win, it never feels like the fight was worth it. I would never willingly seek out a fight with skeletons the way I would with almost everyone else.

I really hope I don't get the damned Ancient Dead crisis again.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I would make barbers also be haberdashers so there was a point. And also combine it wirh a no helmets mod.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I put my newbies in heavy armor if I have it even if it sinks their fatigue low enough to make them less useful, because let's be honest - they're not gonna be useful anyway. Their job is to stand around, eat enemy attacks (since the enemy will prioritize them and their lower defenses over my more skilled folks) while my experienced mercs deal the bulk of the damage, and try to survive long enough to gain a few levels.

Even early in the game, I'll tend to distribute heavy armor and remove shields - it eats attacks effectively (maybe using two handers!) and lets them do more damage with their swings, and the lack of shields restores some of that missing fatigue.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The what.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Never open the box that lets them out, because it's a caravan fight that's also an ambush with a large group of 'em, and you get no chance to swap out dudes.

What a nightmare that was.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

We arent talking about attacking caravans, though, we are talking about the event that lets you steal from them while guarding them

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm pretty sure it offers no special wound resistance - that's just a side effect of having higher health.

It also actually increases the benefit of picking health on level ups...

But yeah, I tend to favour fatigue, melee defense, and melee attack, with a few stops on Resolve (if it's particularly low) and Ranged defense (if I get a really good roll on it).

Ranged defense can be pretty important once my dudes start transitioning to two-handers.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I really wish there was a way to save a loadout for someone and "revert to loadout" with a button press.

I can't play on Iron Man because I know I'll eventually be killed by the fact that I forgot to give half my team weapons when I pulled them out of the reserve, or my archers will be useless because I gave their ammo to someone else, or I forgot to give the team more shields since a bunch were destroyed in the last fight, or I just plain hosed up resetting them to their "normal" equipment after swapping mid-battle and now I'm gonna lose half a turn switching things around that I really needed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tias posted:

Exactly how viable are light armoured, nimble-y 2H brothers? Trying to run a couple, but without the right items of unique armour balancing the fatigue upkeep is tricky.

Viable, imo, but you need someone with great stats and you got to build towards it from the very early game. They also always face the risk of getting killed by a lucky one shot. But hot drat can the deal out a ton of damage over the course of a fight.

Remember that Reach Advantage is percent based so you really want to put points into melee defense and melee attack every single round, and ranged defense and dodge and nimble are all important to surviving long enough to subsist off it. Make em a lone wolf too for another stat boost on top and set them loose with a chain or an axe and enjoy them until they die!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ugh. I have not been able to find any uniques for like thirty days despite hardcore raiding lairs and poo poo.

Additionally the last two uniques I saw were weapons that somehow managed to be worse than the non unique versions which I have never seen before.

I have so much money but nothing to spend it on!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

But orcs have the ability to move through your lines to get to the juicy archers...

Anyway I love fighting gobbos. And they drop poisons which are great!

I think my "normal" build might be like perfect goblin counters though, since I like to have lots of heavily armored archers with high accuracy and good ranged defense and a few spear/shield guys (who also have swords, axes, and maces/hammers now that BaB is good again) to keep normal folks at bay. Goblin poison doesnt do much if they cant get through your armor, and the knives dont come out if you dont close.

Actual orcs are much scarier. You cant hold a line. You cant reposition your guys. You cant peel their armour before they close.

Still way better than fighting skeletons though.

Anyway I finally decided to use my money to fire half my team and spend a while churning recruits so lets hope I can get them to a useful point before the crisis kicks off for real...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hmm, good point

Also when the hell did they add an option to reset equipment after battles?

How did I not notice this?

Oh man, all that busywork I'll never have to do again, this is incredible.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think its good on two handers because mobility is a big deal, but less important than some other perks.

Only guys I dont bother putting pathfinder on is my archers because they dont move much and are always short of the perks I want even at max level.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 1, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I dunno, I don't think I ever really regret taking pathfinder on my melee dudes.

Anyway, this is the sort of "builds" I've settled on for the back half of the game (my initial batch of recruits will take a different path that focuses on abilities like fast adaptation and gifted to get them reliably dealing damage as fast as possible, but eventually I replace them with dudes like the following)

I'd like some opinions on ways to tweak it people think might be better.

First: "General Purpose" - these dudes handle the flanks and are good holding the line and bringing the right tools to bear. Their equipment varies from fight to fight, but I tend to favour dudes with very high accuracy for this role. They almost always carry a dagger on them as well as an extra shield.
Pathfinder -> Quick Hands -> Rotation -> Brawny -> Spear Mastery -> Battle Forged -> Berserk -> Recovery -> Bags and Belts -> Killing Frenzy (or Gifted, if my stats, esp. fatigue, aren't where I want them to be by this point due to bad rolls)

Second: "Two Hander" - These dudes are my centers and main damage dealers, using great swords or greataxes.
Pathfinder -> Recover -> Brawny -> Axe/Sword Mastery -> Footwork -> Battle Forged -> Berserk -> Killing Frenzy -> Underdog -> Colossus or Gifted depending on stats

(I know people swear by reach advantage, but maybe I just don't understand it - the bonus is only 20% and requires you to hit someone to get it which at 20 melee defense is still only like... +4. Situationally. I'd rather the guaranteed defense bonus plus fatigue plus accuracy of Gifted the vast majority of the time, since it still counts even if I get stunned or otherwise put in a bad position or need to recover...)

Finally, my archers, which I think is a pretty basic build. I tend to favour pumping fatigue, initiative, and ranged accuracy on these guys, counter-sniping the ranged enemies and then clearing the field with three attacks per turn most turns.
Recover -> Bullseye -> Quick Hands -> Bow Mastery -> Overwhelm -> Berserk -> Brawny -> Killing Frenzy -> Crossbow Master -> Bags and Belts

Does that seem like decent builds, what do people think?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

So when do people start getting legendary gear? I am almost at day 90 and despite a decent amount of dungeon exploring I haven't seen anything special besides the moral skull which I chucked on my two handed sword guy.

I got two legendary weapons, two armors, and a helm in the first 20 days.

Then I basically saw nothing else for 50 days, and then I got a legendary shield from killing a bandit leader.

Have you gone out into the far wilds? Dungeon delving there seems more likely to turn things up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Man, Noble War is definitely the most fun crisis. It's my first time getting it and god drat does it have some satisfying poo poo going down. And you get equipment from everyone who drops!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah I guess I can see the advantage on truly legendary bros but I honestly dont know how you find that many people with stats that high. Just churning expensive recruits and brutally culling everyone who reaches max level that doesnt fall short? 40 is a ton of melee defense to have on a dude if you are also pumping fatigue and attack and occassionally need to drop some points in health and resolve. Even with two stars you need them to start with a base melee defense of at least ten and select it every single level up, right? And also give them a really high accuracy that can reliably trigger reach advantage even through high defense enemies. And enough fatigue to do it turn after turn.

Also if I was pursuing that build I would probably swap out pathfinder for footwork so I could push the two handers deeper into enemy lines and fill holes as soon as I make them to insure I am getting those multi attacks and hitting back line dudes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oh man, Noble War is most definitely, far and away, my favorite Crisis, and I wish I could replace them all with more noble wars and only have noble wars, and I encourage everyone who wants a good time to set noble war as your first crisis.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah same, Greenskin is cooler now that you can turn off permanent city destruction which was just kind of unfun without the noble houses expanding and settling new towns.

Undead crisis was... not fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I sort of wish there was a 2 handed spear with a Split-like ability. Like a lance or something.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

once you hit the midgame since there's almost no reason to use 1h swords or flails

I'm gonna disagree with that, at least. I think 1h swords are actually really useful against goblins in the midgame, noble swords and the ranged bonus shields let's you really chew through the little bastards in relative safety. Low fatigue cost and accuracy bonus means you can hit more reliably and continue attacking for quite a while past where other weapons would require you to rest.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I don't run any defense perks at all, and they only wear medium armor, basic mail (actually half of them are in artifact light armor now but its not really all that much better) and closed coif. I do tend to pump Ranged Defense every level, though. That combined with Overhwhelming the other guys archers combined with shield dudes in front seems to have kept them mostly alive so far. But they need to be able to kill necromancers and enemy snipers, and they can't do that if they're wearing head armor that reduces their vision.

And I desperately need all those perk points since there are so many requirements for a good archer.

I also tend to start battle by falling back far enough to put them on high/firm ground if its available.

Bullseye, Quick Hands, Bow Mastery, Overwhelm, Berserk, Recover, and Bags and Belts are all non-optional.

Taking a defensive perk would mean giving up one of Killing Frenzy, Crossbow Master, or Brawny and... is it really worth it? The best defense is killing the enemy before they kill you.

Now, I've been considering giving up Crossbow Master for *gifted*, because an extra 4% attack accuracy (plus more ranged defense and initiative) seems like a big deal in terms of 'killing them before they can kill me', but stuff like iron brow or something seems to have questionable utility...

I also have six archers at any given time and do most of my recruit churning looking for new ones so I might also see my archers as a bit more expendable than most people do. If you don't run a lot of archers, a defensive strategy based on overwhelming firepower might be less effective.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay so I have five archers but a part of me is really tempted to diversify now that I am so late game.

I am thinking four dedicated crossbow guys with fear/crippling based builds, wearing heavy armor, wielding overseer crossbows and gently caress initiative. Have them also specialize in throwing. They dont need overwhelm, bow mastery, bags and belts or berserk anymore. Probably not killing frenzy either.

Then four dedicated overwhelm archers with all of those for picking off the wounded and debuffing those who get close.

8 ranged dudes is a reasonable enough number for most fights right? Then four great sword/spear/dagger wielders to hold them off as long as possible and then deal with anyone that gets close. Maybe give them Bags and Belts plus an axe and a hammer too since inventory slots become fatigue free. Let them hit with whichever situationally does maximum damage.

Man I wish I could respec perks. I dont suppose anyone knows if its possible to edit them in the save files?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 12, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This is how I deal with geists.

First: Archers attack them. This isn't likely to kill them, but it changes their AI from "wait behind for several turns" to "rush out ahead of everyone else immediately". Which makes the first batch pretty trivial to kill.

Then, I'll have any high resolve flanks swing wide. They tend to come up along either side of the enemy and it's important to get in close and fast. Try to get behind the enemy to target any geists that left themselves open. I also have a dedicated ghost killer (among his other duties). He's got the immunity-to-fear necklace and carries a sword. Hopefully he's in the battle, makes things easier.

Finally, I have everyone else cluster around my bannerman so he can Rally the Troops every turn, and try to cut through enemies as quickly as possible so I can start advancing on the geists themselves.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I wish I could just make all criseses the noble war crisis. Its by far my favorite crisis.

Its the only one where it feels like the parties involved are actually trying to, like, actually accomplish things.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 13, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Pull the flanks in a bit too. Make your front line bow shapes instead of an actual line, and if you use spearwall flankers make it higher level dudes with high accuracy and spear mastery.

Put your great swords at the bend points in the now and your spear dudes at the very end.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It happened in one of the post release updates.

My two hander dudes can now carry heavy kite shields until the enemy closes to protect against arrows, switch to two hander swords OR hammers when they do, and switch to a polearm to help focus fire on tough enemies they cant reach.

All without any penalty to fatigue. Its awesome! Well worth a pair of perks (bags and belts and quick hands) imo.

Obviously all my archers need it just to stay flush with arrows after they get berserk but that was true before the change as well.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Counterpoint, archers are always great. Crossbows are a bit lackluster though.

The key to a good archer is that you absolutely need 90+ accuracy, preferably more, plus berserk, recover, quick hands, that one that improves your odds against obscured targets, and longbow mastery. And eventually Bags and Belts too. Also you really want multiple archers, three minimum. Basically you want to poo poo out arrows nonstop and hit with all of them.

Finding good recruits is super hard but very worth it.

Blisster posted:

Right after I ran from that group of 66 undead (and spent a shitload at the temple healing the resulting injuries) I got caught by another group of 30 or so- mixed between skeletons and weidergangers. Gonna have to retreat again.

At least you can retreat without injuries this time

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I just dont like them becuse their range is so short you get fewer rounds to kill dudes before they close, and because they dont really work well with berserk so you attack less often, and you cant move and shoot, and they do less damage against unarmored dudes, and they dont work as well for overwhelm, and they are less accurate at range and more swingy.

They work well on heavily armored archers though, and using the goblin crossbow to save your dudes or mess with the enemy is always fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My leading cause of reloading fights is because i forgot to put weapons on the people i swapped in lol

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 27, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Orc uniques almost always suck though

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I like to go ranged heavy against goblins, still. entangle dont mean poo poo when your arrows are doing most of the work. Focus fire down the Overlore and Shaman and then either deal with the remaining gobbos the same way or, if your dudes are badly hurt fall back and return with your brawlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You can attack even friendly caravans and merc companies if you press some... button or something... first right?

Been thinking picking a fight with the smallest house's forces and doing some raiding might actually be kind of profitable.