Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Perk saving advice finding a guy with the always moves first trait (Quick or Impatient)is great on twohanders. It essentially gives you adrenaline rush perk without the fatigue hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honky Dong Country posted:

I just found a potential recruit named Karl Cuckchild, bastard child of an adulterous queen.

I found a bastard who got thrown out for loving his half sister.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The historian can excise the dumb trait from a brother by teaching them to read.

Also found out undead crisis is even worse... when your brothers with the survivor trait go down, they come back as zombies pretty much immediately with no chance to revive with perma wounds.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Fighting the undead Scourge, which is pretty terrifying I defended two towns from invasion and raided a ancient dead lair with priests and poo poo for magic gimgaws and were now winning, lost about 7 brothers in the process so now my company is in need of some reconstruction.

The Town sieges were interesting it went

Zombie Wave (Easy)
Ancient Auxiliaries with Necrosavants (These ran into another roving mercenary band so I let them do the dying and mopped up the last pair of necrosavants)
Ghouls (Surprisingly hard since my allied militia kept feeding them kills, at the end of the fight maybe 4 guys were being digested at once)
Ancient Legionaires (I cheesed this because apparently a victory condition is militia need to survive, so I kept reloading until I had a couple milita archers who didn't suicide into pikespam after beating it the first time but failing the mission)

RIP Gernot the Snatcher who stole a worthless treasure map, and robbed a merchant I was guarding you will be missed at least you took down an undead priest for the chievo before your head got lopped off.

I would say honestly having done Greenskins/War/Scourge for endgame crisis

War is by far the hardest, as pretty much every enemy unit is a brothers band in at least mid-tier or better gear and usually outnumber you, raiding missions are suicide because of how many patrols there are and sieges incredibly difficult at least for me (beating 4 companies of 16-20 man troops is loving impossible for me). Scourge is the midpoint all the fights barring Ancient Legionaires aren't too bad because holy gently caress those pikemen are loving BULLSHIT. (They seem to never miss and always hit the head). Greenskins are tough, but then again I technically won the war by getting the warboss killed by running away till I ran into some actual troops who killed him. However the fights themselves aren't to bad, Gobbo's die easy and with proper defense stats they ambusher spam isn't so bad. A few well placed Hammers will shred Orc Warrior armor, and Orc Young will suicide into spears, while archers can mince zerkers.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RIP Raban one my starting bro's you died fighting a noble in 1v1 combat during a siege and in doing so helped the company earn 7000 crowns.

Also the banner bro guy, I would level up his archery too since he is gonna sit in the backline anyway might as well plink the enemy while they close...

I actually found a squire with 60ish base melee and two archery stars and got him up to 90 ranged at level 11 so with his warbow he guns down dozens of guys till they close and he pokes them to death.

Bastards I found are really good recruits too minus bad resolve, which isn't a problem except vs geists so I rotate them out for those battles.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 27, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

GlyphGryph posted:

With 90 ranged why not just continue using the warbow?

Mostly because once they close sometimes I want the resolve bonus once my line starts taking hits, I actually roll with a pretty resolve poor lineup, Geists are bad news for my band, however luckily at the time I had a pair of witchunters that never broke and finished off the geists before the situation collapse.

Also until recently my campaign has revolved around fighting undead, so against the skele spam the warbow was pretty useless except at taking down armor as the enemy closed.

Also double handed war hammers are murder beasts against noble house armies.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 27, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Night10194 posted:

I'm beginning to really appreciate how the Cleaver special decapitates people if it lands the final blow. Great for stopping corpses from getting back up AND terrifying bandits, and it looks cool to boot.

Cleavers are pretty nice.

As I found out during the unread scourge they can come back without heads.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah, you let them advance, waiting with spacebar until they are in striking distance, then pounce. So you can get the last act of turn X and then your initiative puts you at the top of turn X+1 and you essentially get to go twice in a row.

Well after what seemed like a huge greenskin build up, my crisis is actually noble war. This is actually my first crisis since getting the game, so is there anything I should be aware of and prepare for? I've basically got a strategy of giving the front line kite shields to absorb Bandit Marksman fire until my two handers can chop through the enemy front line, backed up with crossbow/longaxe/pikemen, a sergeant, and a medley of high initiative archers with Overwhelm. It's been working pretty well so far.

noble armies roll around where even their lovely foot soldiers usually have mail hauberks, so my line during the current noble crisis is essentially axes and war hammers. The Dual handed war hammer is also great as it can take out even knights armor in pretty much one hit, and leave the enemy dazed thus tanking their defense.

They can be pretty scary as Zweihandlers and arbalests will ruin your day, also the knights can take a huge amount of punishment and in general the battle sizes ramp up so huge clusterfucks of your 12 guys and another 12 allied noble troops vs 30 or so enemies. They also have their own sergeants which I think have the extra damage single hand weapon perk along with nimble and with swords can be like lovely sword masters.

Also so much nice armor, weapons and hats. I had a ton of trouble in noble war when it was the first crisis, now that it is the second one its substantially easier although I have lost a couple high level brothers.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 28, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Enemy Mercenary Hedge Knights are terrifying I had one cut down 7 guys in the fight including 2 brothers. Both of whom were level 12 and 13 and wearing reinforces mail and metal helms.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 29, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Bastards are actually gold besides the poor resolve, I pull him out against geists, but he is a beast with 98 melee skill as a two hander with the super sledge.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not convinced - I don't think that they're particularly better than other martially-focused backgrounds such as militia in terms of melee skill, and the resolve penalty is absolute garbage.

I'm starting to lean towards going directly from hiring nothing but farmers / brawlers / wildmen in the earlier part of the game, later replacing as many as possible with hedge knights (and sellswords, maybe). The mid tier hires don't really seem worth the effort (squires are pretty nice sergeants, but so are wildmen) when they're still generally not good enough to be 'top tier' unlike hedge knights which are basically perfect at level 1 unless you get totally screwed with stat rolls. Adventurous nobles have really good resolve but are usually expensive and can potentially have loving awful ranged defense, like -10 or something.

Is there a way to avoid your hedge knights potentially murdering the gently caress out of each other if you get that event where they start fighting? I've never actually had it happen to me.

On the flip side I have personally never got much luck with wild men the defense penalties even if I slap a kite on them they always seem to end up arrow fodder and get pincushion'd before they can level up. Squires I think depending on the stars can be really good, my bannerman for the Lamenters is a Squire, he had 2 ranged stars and 60+ melee skill at hire already + good resolve. So I was able to pump him up to be a 92 skill war bow archer, in addition to being competent with the standard and have 120ish resolve.

In regards to the bastard, yes the resolve penalty sucks, but with my standard bearer and his heavy armor + battle forged he pretty much never takes a hit that will cause him to run and the two times he has my flag bearer rallied him that same turn. I agree however with the assertions that retired soldiers/nobles aren't really worth it mostly due to the huge fatigue penalties both backgrounds have and ranged penalties on the nobles they have which is worse than cheaper backgrounds.

Another thing I noticed on hiring my Witch Hunter guy early on he didn't have any stars in range attack (sucks) however he still rolled 3's or better every time he leveled up, I haven't had to recruit another actual archer background yet, but I wonder if thats the norm. Farmers even if they don't have stars seem to naturally get 3's & 4's for fatigue as well. So he topped out at 88 ranged skill which isn't perfect, but still means he hits the vast majority of his shots.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Killer on the Run tries to murder brother, you can execute him with a botched hanging, which results in the guy he tried to knife stabbing him through the chest. When he dies he doesn't even show up on the brothers killed obituary,

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Soup du Journey posted:

Not that I know of, which is a shame, because being stylish is important on today's battlefield. A davkul killfiend can get by with orcish weapons, since their crude style matches the hellish meatsuit. Emperor Goldfinger though? Best I can think of is a crypt cleaver or something

Maybe one of the legendary warhammers?

Also jfc I might try with seeds, but my old company 5 unique legendary shields... lol

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly just dont do Ironman and save scum if your gonna, trying to gimmick it with Alt-F4 is just an unnecessary pain in the rear end.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hieronymous Alloy, that seed you posted Hochgrube (The Gem Mine) is the greatest settlement ever spawned in Battle Bro's its gems and salt to the nearby town pretty much funded the entire early game for me so far.

Also I have recruited a monk named Ragnar the Bear, who is both dexterous and strong and spends his time arguing with the companies two flagellants over religion.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 8, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gooses and Geeses posted:

I can't find a seed that ends with a town called Hochgrube :( Which one from the ones he's posted did you use?

94c40d

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think one of the problems is pasting the seeds in, the seeds didn't work for me until I typed them in, I kept getting different bro's, map setups than people were posting.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Am I weird for running a really archer heavy lineup? I generally like going to five archers as soon as I can because they will utterly mulch anything besides undead once you get 5 guys with high 80's to 90's ranged skill and warbows.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think its a good guide for new players, personally I am not a huge fan of flails, (I seem to have wretched luck).

Right now I think I will say some personal preferences,

4 Two Handers, two with Greatswords and two with the two hand hammers
4 Shield Bro's with a mix of weapons, two of these guys are built as hammers and two are built as axemen although both have backup spears, plus my replacements/reserves of suboptimal, but interesting background brothers rotate here
Behind the shield bro's 4 Archers armed with Warbows, one of the archers is my sergeant and if I need him too he will set down his bow and pull our his banner to start rallying guys if they start wavering.

I took about 3 casualties, but this group managed to rout ~40ish orcs and goblins in a recent battle when I got jumped waiting for some armor to repair on a ~raid enemy camp~ mission to rescue prisoners. I will admit I save scummed, because the first attempt mace orks got lucky and stun locked most of my two handers, while my shield bros and archers pivoted to fight of the goblin wolfriders and ambushers coming in on the flank.

On the plus side I got a free level 5 sellsword to join from the prisoners.

Another perk I experimented with this time around was giving nimble to my archers, which I think was smart if the enemy manages to plink them they have a ~50% chance or better of the hit just glancing on top of the difficulty of hitting them while behind a shield bro. It jumped up their durability significantly and I can leave them in light armor/helms so they don't get vision penalties. This would work even better if I could ever run into the direwolf armor poo poo.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 17, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks, I'll make those fixes.

I remembered someone made something out of the teeth but I couldn't remember what/who, so I appreciate that. I may not be able to include it though due to Steam's bizarre limitations on guide section length.

Witchunters make the poison antidote out of the ghoul teeth, and I think fishermen and rat catchers can make nets, poachers and hunters will sometimes get you game in the forests and wildmen I think will pick up mushrooms.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

marshmallow creep posted:

I know I tried retiring every time I quit out of the game while my Crisis was going on, and it was the "broke apart" ending, and then when the crisis ended it became "endures." The best is supposed to be about leaving a "legendary" company so I guess you need legendary rep (I forget what numerical value that is), or beat more than one crisis.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Daktari posted:

How do you see what your reputation is it at? I've a goal for glorious ATM, waiting for the greenskin invasion

on the handshake screen where it shows your rep, you can hover over the rep bar and it will give you a number.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Has anybody beaten one of those full 28-men companies of noble soldiers before? I know the guy on youtube with the lvl60 party has, but I'm wondering if conventional vl 11 bros can do it?

You can, its not easy and you have to be like me and gear your guys to mash armor and be pretty heavily decked in armor out yourself, I.E my entire frontline was in scale and plate. I lost a couple of brothers (luckily one was only mildly perma injured)

My party composition for the curious

2 Dual Warhammers, 2 Greatswords, 2 Shield Bros with Axes, 2 With 1 Hander hammers, 4 Warbow Archers w/ 3 Longaxes and the Banner and everyone had accessories.

Essentially you want your warbows to pick off the arbalists who will rush out to get off some potshots and expose themselves, then next priority is billmen because they lack shields focus on taking out the guys in light armor some of the footmen/billmen actually are just wearing an aketon under their tabard.

Once they get within a tile have your two handers jump out and start hacking using adrenaline rush to get a second hit in and focus on making sure these are either splits or swings to maximize units hit, if your lucky you can kill and or cripple 4-8 guys in this initial push which is really important as your two handers then either have to recover for a turn or so, or they just get reduced to single high DPS attacks I had one greatsword guy who could ad.rush and bezerker 4 attacks before he got exhausted, however that was mostly lucky rolls on a dude.

once your guys lock lines focus down zweihanders or sarge's as they hit hard. Footmen are mostly just meatshields and unless they are carrying a pick aren't terribly dangerous and can mostly be left alone they will only usually make one attack and again unless its the pick, sword slashes and mace bashes aren't the most dangerous attacks, plus they have pretty poor melee skills. Zweihanders are squishy and even with their unique helmet, usually have alot less head armor so head attacks on them will kill them fairly quick... on expert they do have bezerker so don't let them get a kill otherwise they will do a ton of damage.

The enemy knights usually 1-3 have a ton of armor, but will tire themselves out, try to mark them up against your "best" defensive brother unlike orc warriors you should break their shields as they have a high melee defense skill already and with their shields+shieldwall are an exercise in futility hitting.

Also as your fighting once you take a guy down drop a doggo, they aren't that dangerous, but because they have terrible melee defense the enemy will prioritize hitting them which depending on the dog rolls can be ablative armor for a turn or two for a brother.

Overall avoid these fights even with a well kitted out company they are fiendishly tough, I had an easier time clearing out the goblin city than this company, although not as hard as the monolith.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 21, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

That feeling when you try to take a bandit camp with two master archers with legendary warbows... that was awful.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I know its not popular, but I use my sergeant as an archer, just he isn't built for overwhelm, the banner comes out as I mentioned before once the enemy closes as he can rally as needed, however having an extra bowman in the opening exchange is really useful.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

everyone is running around with way more legendary equipment and direwolf armor poo poo than myself *tears*

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

This new update punishes my love for deserters and other low resolve backgrounds that usually had good fighting stat growths.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gridlocked posted:

Lesson: Making a company out of cowards causes cowardly actions.

JFC

I made a new company cause I'm back playing the game with the new DLC and decided, of course, to make a company of Monster Hunters.

I went for the seed: LINDWURM

Only just started and looking at my Bro's traits and DAAAAAMN.

Ranged Bro: Deathwish
2H Bro: Iron Lung
Shield Bro: Swift and Surefooting

It used to work well as long as you had a quality sergeant around to boost up morale.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I had a cool event where an assassin snuck into my tent and demanded I hand over the bastard I had in my company, not sure if its new to this expansion, but I never remember it firing in my old playthroughs and I had multiple exiled nobles and bastards in my company back then.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I found a sunken temple

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

With them adding more magic stuff in the last update I still would love to see you be able to recruit some absurdly expensive mages/magic users

I want to run the Black Company with One Eye and Goblin damnit.

The Militia sounds like fun, it would make my silly daytaler levy spam run exponentially more viable. The Hedge Knight option where you actually are in the company sounds really cool too.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 17, 2019

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I hope if raiding towns is something to be added if we get new City/Camp battlemaps. Could spice up the combat more.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The meta would be cool if that line was updated every time a BB player sacked the goblin city

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Look forward to lone wolf, hiring another hedge knight and then dying in the event duel.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hammerstein posted:

What I don't like about militia is that the limited backgrounds just cost you too many fun or interesting events. Think ministrel, monk, historian and many more.

yeah this is my gripe with the militia background.

Since my avatar is Croaker, I always hire any historian I come across and hope one will be good.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

For lone wolf hire a couple of guys ASAP. Your dude can mulch people, but not if he gets surrounded. take a couple cheap guys with a shield and a spear to pin enemies while the hedge knight goes to town.

One guy I hired for this a thief is still alive now on like day 70.

Also epic duel of the hedge knight player character 1v1'ing a barbarian king and winning easily.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Can someone help me on how to get legendary items.

I feel cursed, I have got maybe like half a dozen in 300+ hours of battle brothers. Its just like TF2 and hats all over again.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My thoughts on the Hedge Knight start after beating the undead crisis.

1. Having a go-to bro early game who can take out some really hard hitters is great. Being able to take early contracts where you just need to lock down a few high level enemies is cake. Essentially if you get a couple guys to support him, he will win fights. By the end of the crisis he had near 500 kills.
2. Having only 12 brothers is frustrating, not even just on the scale of being unable to rotate guys or have specialists in reserve like say extra polearm brothers when say fighting undead/lindwurms, but even just have some sub-optimal guys with cool backgrounds for events.
3. As a result you kind of need hybrid troops, because you don't have another 6 guys. So most of my 4 front liners with shields had dual weapon mastery's & bags & belts which I don't usually take.
4. The difficulty curve with fewer troops I feel gets broken on day 120 I had guys in heavy armor (the reinforced chain and up) and level 11, but still never saw a single enemy champion or chosen. I have no idea why? Except for a random hunt down greenskin contract with 12 orc warriors. Most camps were still filled with thralls/raiders/young/wiedergangers/auxiliaries etc.
5. The crisis confused me, although it has been awhile. I started seeing the mixed undead armies around day 80-90, but never got the roman empire dream and the crisis contracts event until around day 110.

-----------

Also when discussing ranged brothers, I know there are specific "good" backgrounds (Hunters... and maybe a lucky poacher or Witch hunter), but I have gotten good/useful archers out of a few more backgrounds in ~300 hours of play.

Jugglers, they might have lower ranged attack at max levels, but with a crossbow bonus they can be pretty nasty head cappers. I would say the same about killers on the run... but they have some other drawbacks.
Beast Slayers, these guys usually start with higher base M. Attack & R. Attack and are a good choice for some flexible hybrid troops.
Squires, I don't know but for some reason a large amount of them I have found with ranged stars. Usually I build a squire as a ranged X-Bow/Sergeant who can plink at range before pulling out the standard in melee.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

For the lone wolf start, I think hiring someone to start out is helpful they don't need to be good, they just need to be able to block some shots at your knight at least till you get underdog perked