Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Kinda angling towards woodsmen or peasant militia myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
oh no I can't carry 3 copies of a weapon 'just in case' and have to ditch 3-coin vendor trash oh nooooo

Yeah woodsmen sound awesome.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Started some woodsmen. Having 3 archers right off the bat is really nice, until the enemies close to melee range. Then you're hosed. I've burned through a half-dozen farmers and daytalers as meat shields.
Also, barbarians are terrifying the first time you run into them. Use your defensive abilities, just hacking away at them is a losing race since they can output more damage than you and their weapons make your armor kinda irrelevant. But they're fragile, at least the thralls are.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I wonder if the slings would make a good backup ranged weapon for when you run out of arrows.
Usually you're stuck in at that point and a decently range-skilled bro will hit with two shots, and that 100% daze on a headshot is attractive...

Boy is it a disappointing weapon to start with though.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
There seems to be a general baseline stats. I've only done the poacher start, but for that you get three bros with at least a star in ranged attack and a minimum skill level. Traits are random though, so I saw things like cocky, tough, fragile, etc. among the bros.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Doing one right now, pretty nice and I think I've been spoiled by the 'always know what you're fighting' ability.
The start is tough, but you hire a few farmers to keep dudes off your archers and you'll have some seriously dangerous arrow shooters a lot sooner than you usually would.

I do note that later in the game some of the system mastery can get a little obnoxious. That's the reason I don't play ironman more than anything else. Fat-fingering the skip-turn key or forgetting to equip an arrow quiver or something silly like that is like 90% of my save-scumming. Just correcting unforced errors that are caused by me being distracted.
The other 10% is for :xcom: events that just end up frustrating. Losing 3 veteran bros in a row to one orc warrior because of a run of really really bad (for me) rolls is... not great. Most of the time I accept the casualties I get, but sometimes it's a bit too much of a slog to come back from getting zero'd and I want to keep going with the game I've got.

I'm not sure where the barbarians fall with respect to Orcs as a challenge. They're easily as tough and as dangerous as fighting orcs, I'm certainly treating them with the same level of respect.
I've solved alps though. They're a bit of a slog, but just give everyone a spear for the +20% to hit and stay together as a group to wipe out the nightmares. Who mentioned fighting Unholds with one bro at a time? It's so weird, but having bros solo the giant angry meat pile is counterintuitively awesome. I still need to get a whip and see how those work against them.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Showed my girlfriend the game. She started a raiders campaign, named them "Evil Vikings", picked the banner with the decapitated guy, and proceeded to hunt as many trader caravans as possible.

game good

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Oh yeah, you have to be careful picking your fights. 6 nachtzehers just about TPK'd me on my second contract

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
You assbutts, now I started up battle brothers, I've still got to finish battle tech and total war three kingdoms was on sale so I've got that and ahhhhuhu.

Golden age of games

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
It's not quite so bad on beginner level, but the 'standard' or veteran battle difficulty level is just... do you guys savescum relentlessly or what?

Even a two-skull start (installed Legends, which has a lot of cool new toys) seems incredibly brutal at the beginning and an 'easy' mission is 6 nachtzherers vs. at most 3 guys which is just a steamroller of murder.

Also, for skill levels, there's a lot of talk about the number values that the bros are supposed to have for just being viable, irrespective of specific builds (25+ m.def for a two-hander, 70+ m.attack, 120+ fatigue, 50+ resolve), but what is the level-level that you're getting these values at? Max-level, 11+? Again, is it aggressive savescumming to dig out the gems from the hiring pool?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
This game is weirdly roguelike in that respect. For all that talk about never putting a two-handed weapon in the hands of a guy with less than stellar melee defense, I should totally do that for a peasant mook with a decent to-hit and let him do as much damage as possible before he inevitably eats it.

So do you save up to invest in an expensive hire and then wrap that guy in bubble wrap until he levels up a half-dozen times?
Then just hire a bunch of beggars and cripples and give them a shield and whatever random trash is lying around. I really really take too good of care of my bros, my obituary list is way too short. I'm playing the game like Myth, trying to get no-casualty runs. How often do you take casualties? Also, this game should have that voice clip play when a guy dies. "Casualty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9of1q1YZw

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Not so much new to the game as stepping up the difficulty from the training-wheels settings to the more standard levels. Legends has a bunch of new toys too which is kinda why I dug it back up, it brightened things up a bit and added some cool new starts.

Some cool new starts that might not be what they say on the tin difficulty-wise.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
While the crusades are fascinating from a historical perspective, actually playing them out in a game is a bit... weird.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Disgusting Coward posted:

"A new late game crisis that tests the mettle of your company in the fires of religious turmoil"

That's it. That's all they've said. Maybe save the woke garment rending until they've actually Done A Racism.

Very true, it's a few raised eyebrows. They just walked out on stage with a topic line that got everyone scooted forwards in their seat and is like "okay, we're watching."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

rideANDxORdie posted:

This game's dollar value is unreal - I have almost 1000 hours played and my next most played in XCOM 2 with like 200. If it wasn't for flushing so many hours into Diablo 2 during high school, BBros would be my most played game by a country mile.

That's because XCOM 2 is a cocked up soap-opera mess of enforced villain monologues.

There is I think definitely something wonky about Legend's enemy algorithm, it really does seem to throw MUCH larger groups of enemies at you sooner and harder. The thing is, I'm not sure if there's an upper limit or if it plateaus off. I'm afraid to hire more than a dozen bros because then I'll be facing hour-long fights against 50 brigand raiders or something dumb like that.

I should uninstall it and play vanilla again, but I have other games and the next DLC is sooooo close.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I do also like that armor system, it feels very organic and tune-able. It also seems to make bros survivable sooner since you can patchwork in better armor and adjust it so that they're not over-weighted. It also has that nice theme of a hard-scrabble mercenary company patching together whatever scavenged bits of armor they can find to make something that's reasonably protective.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
It definitely got lots of accolades, but I'm pretty glad I bought it on sale.
Right now though, while waiting on BB to get a new update I'm trying out that Stoneshard EA game. Another sale catch, for a tenner I figured I'd give it a go based on the free-trial prologue and generally positive comments. Not bad, it's definitely in progress. Definitely unforgiving, the dev really needs to figure out a way to allow some fashion of savegame outside of town.

The upside is that the game data is all csv files so it's piss-easy to mod. I figure I'm going to give myself a 'restore' apple that I can chow down on in order to give myself an escape hatch for when I need to get back to town after getting mauled.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

tentacles posted:

Got some bad news for you!

On the plus side, you can get round to that to-play list

Hah, yeah I'd be more surprised if they did stay on schedule given the state of the world.
To-play... so many things. I still need to finish Stardew Valley.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Cantankerous Cousins

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Escrime Elites

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Just ran a mission with Ifrits, an interesting enemy for sure.
They tend to hang back and chuck themselves at you, so I think the best way to approach them is to have good damage dealing weapons (axes and maces seemed to work well) and range defense shields like kites and the new southern shield. Basically you tank the ranged attack and then dogpile the little ifrit that appears after the toss. Armor up your backline because they might end up in the mix. Arrows don't seem to do much, but since they literally throw themselves at you it's no big deal.

So many crush wounds afterwards though....

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Alps gave me a real hard time this time around too. I'm not sure what it is about them now, but they'll sleep and damage a target in alp's action set and I haven't figured out how to interrupt that sequence so I can wake up a guy before he takes damage. Quite frustrating because I can't manage the damage sequence either by positioning. Just hope they don't target one of your key men because if they do he's going to die in 3-4 attacks and there's fuckall you can do about it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yeah, I'm thinking that any reach 2+ weapon is an asset because any individual won't get more than one swing on an alp anyway

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
^^^Don't forget the Ifrits, those are new too and require a different approach.

I wonder if this'd work for snakes: dress up a bro that has the Underdog perk in heavy armor and maybe a 2h AoE weapon (axe? hammer?) and have him lead the charge towards the snakes. Let them grab him and try to pierce (1) the armor and (2) defenses through underdog. I bet it really is just the being surrounded malus that makes it seem like snakes are super accurate after the grab. Take that away via perk and I bet the guy in the middle isn't as vulnerable.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
The southern city-states have made the Norther Raiders start SOOOOO nice. Big playground to hang out in, lots of contracts available, and you can hang out there and make a good living more than long enough for the northerners to forget your transgressions.

Also, the raider ambition is easy-peasy to score since trade caravans you can target will easily pass through the south.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Sometimes you get turbofucked by the rng and that's why you savescum. More than 3 tries though and you're probably chasing bad odds.

What are the ramifications of bailing on a bad contract? I know that in Battle tech you can ditch a bad mission every so often and easily repair the rep damage, not sure if bb is as forgiving. I get there feeling that you're always one bad contract away from game over even if you retreat in good order and walk away from it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I think if you subtract 20-30 points from the stats listed in the 'ideal build' listings you'll get kinda what looks like a raw recruit's stats. Moonshine Rhyme earlier posted a decent one because he actually lists a level 1 recruit's ideal stats instead of the final product.

I think folks are overly conservative with the Mdef requirements to switch over to a two-hander weapon. High teens to mid-20s is more than enough for them to handle lower-level enemies, and the extra damage will let you zoom through them with minimal expense. Weapons with reach are even better for this switchover because you can hide behind the shield wall. So don't freak about 'minimum 30 Mdef', once they've got a shield's worth of defense you can start using those weapons. Also, decent bros are totally good enough for like... 75% to 90% of the game. Take any of those ideal stats, drop it by 10-20% and that's a totally useful and effective bro that'll stand up to most foes. Ok, it won't survive THE MONOLITH but poo poo that stuff's the frosting on top of a tasty game-cake that everyone ignores because it's not shiny dragon-shaped frosting.

Also, regarding trash recruits, I think the other thing that's not mentioned is how many dudes you go through to get a decent one. Literally a half-dozen mercs who will do nothing but hold a spear, shield, and die in order to allow one of those star players to advance far enough that they don't die.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
RMEVMQQNJH is a fun seed with a nice layout. I'm running it with northern raiders, and the southern region has been very fruitful. I'm ~50 days in and have done... one? mission above the inlet.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
So I've gotten a little bit TOO fortunate in the whole archer recruitment situation and I find myself with a glut of good bowmen.
Right now I've got 4 solid shooters, one I keep back so that I have 4 backline (3 archers, 1 sarge) to support the front line. Trouble is that I have a dearth of polearm/2hand bros. Good shield guys, but my average Matk is hovering in the mid 60s.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd argue that you need 6 archers total - 2 to be archers, 2 to be javelin throwers and 2 to be gunners. I generally like a larger back line than that - 5 in a 12 man company or 7 in a 16 man company.

What level are these guys with matk in the 60s? because I would never tolerate that even on a shield bro at level 11. My expectation is 80 on a shield bro by level 11 and 90 on a 2hander. Poles I want a minimum of 80 but I'd prefer mid to late 80s. Finding recruits who can get to 80 is pretty easy, all you need is someone with 55 starting matk and 1 star.

hahahahahaaaaaa level 11 you're funny

edit: ahem. They're in the 5-8 range. One guy's 10, he's got 70ish.

I didn't find the warp zone straight to level 11 guys, I'm still in the game part of the game

El Spamo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 1, 2020

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

ClothHat posted:

Seriously, can you guys expand on how you're getting these numbers? Are you ruthlessly save scumming the entire map for recruits? Using mods? Spending all of your savings to only hire top tier backgrounds and firing everyone else? If you're using a mod to make the game easier you probably shouldn't give advice in the context of using the mod to people who are struggling and looking for tips.

Any of those "at least 80 blah blah" suggestions are for like 60 hours into the game and ignores the necessity of hiring several middling caravan-hand level dudes that will stand around with a sword and shield and soak up hits without doing anything spectacular.

Early game: hire anyone who's not literally dead weight. Keep fatigue somewhere in the 70s and start culling out bros that can't wear decent (100-ish) armor and stay in that range. Use whatever weapons you have that are good, shields will keep you alive.

Mid-game: Start hiring the good guys, look for stars. Unmodded yeah you're either spending tons of money cycling through bros that look ok to hire but have poo poo stats/stars or save-scumming to discover someone decent. If you're save-scumming that much go get a mod and save yourself the bookkeeping. I would argue if you're keeping some of those shield guys around and they're still pulling their weight you're doing something right, namely not throwing guys away on bad situations and picking good fights.

late game lol do whatever

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Ok, so for as salty as I've been about mid-game advice (apologies guys, I feel a bit over the line) I do want to get some pointers on when to start retiring out bros. Right now I've got 15 in the roster, so I can cycle out injured fighters and specialize lineups a bit. Mostly just archer vs. melee focus depending on the fight. Should I keep hiring until I have a full roster of 20 before proactively retiring guys and try to squeeze as much worth out of the current crew, or keep the roster size a bit low in order to keep the salaries reasonable?

I've got ~15k in the bank at the moment and eyeballing a wagon upgrade.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Well, a great culling occurred and I got away from a holy war mission with half the crew dead. However, the good ones (mostly) survived so I'm going to see if I can rebuild. Shame about the crucified dude I rescued, he had amazing stats but... oh well.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
holy crap, chose the southern side in the holy war and after weathering 3 waves of norther soldiers I have a glut of billhooks, hauberks, and helmets.

I'm shocked I survived the battles, I had made a save so I could test the waters and the next thing you know I made it through with only 2 casualties. I would like to recognize my archer crew for picking off various flankers and polearms before they could engage.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I DID IT!
I survived the first crisis, and actually participated in it without getting annihilated!
Holy War complete, now I have 50 days at least before the next event.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Solid dude, hire if you're not cash strapped.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
An Ocean & Islands expansions would be baller.
I'd worry that the world map might get too big, in that in one game it'd be too much to handle to visit everywhere and touch the various parts without it being too unwieldy in terms of travel costs (time, resources, etc.)

You'd almost want to pick which biomes and regions your world starts in. The southern deserts really feel like it's maxed out the world size, any larger and I would feel like I couldn't get to the other side. As it is I finished the first crisis and spent the gross majority of time in the south. Maybe fought barbarians twice. If there were a third proper region, I think you'd feel shut out of at at least one other region even if it's there because it'd be too expensive to haul rear end aaaalllll the way up to the other side of the world.

Maybe that's someone's jam though.

So, the original point, picking regions. Game starts, and either by choice or random assignment you have 2 of the 3 regional types: Northern, Deserts, Islands. The mid-euro mainland section would always be there and be the 'anchor' around which the other biomes rotate. That way the world stays a reasonable size, replayability I think gets a bit of a boost since the world will be a little different each time, and it even future proofs another expansion since adding a biome is about integrating it into the map generation rather than trying to shoehorn it into the existing map.

I swear to god I should start a youtube channel for sub-optimal gameplay guides. How to play a game and enjoy it without ULTRA-MAXXX ENDGAME STRATZ

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
A sequel would almost certainly be an improvement of the game mechanics since all the lessons learned in the first one can be applied to the new system.
The downside would be the loss (or deferment) of the current expansion content. Probably.

On the other hand, a sequel could certainly integrate some or all of the current expansion content so that you still see the sourthern cities, lindwurms, barbarians, etc. (or the best bits of them) and there'll be space for the sequel's likely expansions.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Southpaugh posted:

Remember new players guys?

They do not, no.
Dodge is a good perk, up until you're recruiting dudes specifically for endgame/crisis content and you're actually in a place where you can follow the optimized builds.
It's like talking about nothing but pruning and harvesting a fruit tree and forgetting completely about watering and soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
named maces, they grow on trees.

Don't let these hyper-optimizers get you down. A 2h mace is a great tool to give to a back-liner and is definitely strong enough for a large portion of the game. They're just as good with a one-handed mace so it's not like you can't swap it in when you need more defence or something, the perk works for all smashy things. Listen to bude if you've found that unicorn with 3-star key stats and are tackling the monolith or library or something. But when you're at day 30, have a backliner, and your choice is between a pitchfork and a 2h mace, use the drat mace. Hell, use it with mace specialization because that 2h mace swinger will allow you to GET to the point where you're shopping for unicorns and legendary named weapons. I see the game as very much of making the best with what you have and sometimes that means specializing in swords (or maces) because you've got a ton of decent-to-good ones and you're at the point where you need to start excelling at *something*.

Also dodge is a good perk.

Also also I've been playing with the Legends mod lately and it's gotten silly.