Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

It's worth noting that besides the excellent gameplay itself, this is an extremely well written game - especially for a European developer. The events, the interludes as you negotiate a contract, the character backgrounds - everything gives an amazing sense of place and is presented in a personal way without resorting to cliches. I love the combat, and I love the writing. That's pretty rare in most games, I find, usually one is just in the way of the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Not sure if this is widely known, but weapons and shields you keep in your 'pocket' during battle count against your max fatigue just like your wielded items do. If your playstyle isn't big on weapon switching, keeping weapons in your pocket 'just in case' that you never really use does work against you.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Economics hasn't been discussed too much, but with a little effort you very nicely supplement your income from contracts. In its most basic form, buy trade goods or expensive food (Mead and wine) from small villages, and sell them at large cities. Do this right from the beginning - when you have to travel to the nearby 'big city' before killing Hoggart, buy up the commodities at the starting village, and turn them around for a profit at the bigger town. Easy gold. Later in the game, plan out your routes and financial needs (food, tools, salary) for a few days and hit a bunch of small towns for contracts while you buy their trade goods. End up in a large city (I think regular cities give better prices than massive citadels, need to do more research), and turn a nice profit. It'll never replace contracts, but you can almost feed and pay your guys for 'free' this way, leaving your contract money for recruits and equipment.

You can do even better if you manipulate the current 'status' of the town. Obviously you shouldn't go on a buying spree in a terrified town or one with ambushed trade routes - but you SHOULD go on a selling spree! Selling a stack of Amber or salt in a town not getting any caravans in is a significant price boost over a 'normal' town. And speaking of caravans, those fuckers will buy up commodities out from under you if they get to town first. So don't dawdle and go clear out a bandit camp or other contract before making your purchase, as your competition might beat you to it.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Am I mistaken, or didn't the dev say early on that they weren't planning on doing any DLC or major changes to BB while they focused on their next game?