Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
:siren: Update on the last page!

I think Link has so far started almost half his lines with "Uh" "Um" or "Huh". Dude seems in over his head.

Also, are monster drops the only way to get the Clippers? That seems like it could be an issue if the drop rate is too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LordHippoman posted:

I think Link has so far started almost half his lines with "Uh" "Um" or "Huh". Dude seems in over his head.

Honestly with what he's been encountering, I think his verbal reactions have been perfectly realistic. You show me a...uh, dog-person? What is Pia, anyway? Anyway, you show me a person with gigantic floppy ear-hair...things who is completely obsessed with baths to the exclusion of everything else, and I'd spend a lot of time imitating Tina Belcher too.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

LordHippoman posted:

:siren: Update on the last page!

Also, are monster drops the only way to get the Clippers? That seems like it could be an issue if the drop rate is too low.

It takes more effort to care about having a monster barn than it does to get clippers. The woolies were probably keeping a pair around handy for when they meet something with opposable thumbs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

LordHippoman posted:

You can buy them at the Blacksmith's too, I just conveniently got a set from the first Wooly I slaughtered.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly with what he's been encountering, I think his verbal reactions have been perfectly realistic. You show me a...uh, dog-person? What is Pia, anyway? Anyway, you show me a person with gigantic floppy ear-hair...things who is completely obsessed with baths to the exclusion of everything else, and I'd spend a lot of time imitating Tina Belcher too.

Its tied in with her plot, but think about her gimmick and its not a stretch.

I love the designs of Daria, Carmen, and Pia so they all had the best first impressions. But of the 3 times I've managed to get married, its never been them, I think it goes to show immensely how much the request system helps you befriend and learn about the villagers. I mean we already learned that ... is a caring individual with a knack for manipulating a dwarfs schedule for his own good from it and we're still in the tutorial quests rather than the character quests. Obligatory rant about it being removed for 4 here(I'll try to stop mentioning it soon).

I like to use all the weapons evenly myself, I have a bit of an obsession with keeping things balanced when its easy to control so you know lv 40 with every weapon no matter how much I dislike the controls.

I'm really starting to crave a replay but 4 did good in the quality of life improvements and I'm obsessive about doing everything at the speed of light so I get stressed out in these games so its a bit hard. I'm a chatterbox about things I love, sorry.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

P. sure Raven's the only reason Gaius isn't a skeleton hammering out axes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

P. sure Raven's the only reason Gaius isn't a skeleton hammering out axes.

If Gaius was a skeletal blacksmith he'd be even cooler.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If Gaius was a skeletal blacksmith he'd be even cooler.

But it would be even less likely you could marry him! :smith:

Not enough games live by Divinity Dragon Commander's example.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ain't no rules says a skeleton can't be a bachelor(ette).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Fishing Fun

Music: Spring

Another day, another round of crops to water.

This cutscene has a very dumb trigger. See, it only shows up when you're going out the door to the mailbox. Except there's no reason to take that door, since you can head downstairs, water your crops, and circle outside to check the mailbox at your leisure(and that's what I do 99% of the time). The good news is that it's not anything important, just a festival reminder.

Link? Are you here?
What is it?
Hee-hee. Tomorrow is the first festival of spring!
Really? Neat!
Yes. It's called the Bean Throwing Festival.
What happens at the Bean Throwing Festival?
Well, everyone gathers in the plaza, then a few people dress up as demons. Then everyone throws beans at them! The people who are dressed as demons compete to see who can get hit by the most beans. Grandpa says you can be one of the demons this year! It's tons of fun!
That sounds...really strange.
Really? I've been going to it for as long as I can remember, so I've never thought about it.
How do I join the festival?
My grandpa will be in the plaza. Just talk to him. He'll tell you all about the rules. And then you can choose whether or not you'd like to participate.
Got it.
Hee-hee. I hope you'll sign up. I think you'd make a great demon!
Uh, thanks...I think.
See you later!

It's really hard to forget about a festival because that's all everyone will be talking about, even without Shara bursting in to remind us.

Time for the last of the tutorial quests.

Now, where'd I put my practice beans...?
You seem pretty eager to win.

Uh...is that really necessary?

Talking to Wells the day before a festival gives you a sneak preview of the rules. This doesn't matter much for this festival, but there are future ones where it's good to prepare ahead of time.

tl;dr: Get hit by beans. Don't get hit by Failed Dishes. Get hit by lots of beans in a row to start a combo and get even more points.

We actually have this festival in my home country, as well. But in our festival, the beans also call forth good fortune. It seems like Sakuya is treating them the same, though.

This corner of the diner is easy to miss, but Rusk hangs out here sometimes.

Hey, did you even READ the bulletin board? I'm your "master" when it comes to fishing now!
Uh...I think I missed that part, actually.
"Missed that part"? Oh, you have much to learn, apprentice. Well, I'll let you off the hook for today! Now, let me teach you basics of fishing! (sic)
The basics?
Yes, the basics! Are you ready, apprentice?! First, we need to find a fishing spot! You can see shadows where fish are! Not all bodies of water have fish, though! Got it? Now, you'll have to keep this a secret! Guess what?! You can find some fish in the sand! Isn't that amazing?!
What? In the sand?!
Yes, but it's a secret as to where you can find these fish! You'll have to find them yourself!
Wait, can't I get a hint or...
Anyway, let's move on! When you find a fish, press B to cast your line! The fish will come near your lure! Next, the fish will poke at your lure for a bit. However, just be patient!
Then, suddenly, the fish will bite! When it does, push B! PUSH IT! PUSH IT HARD!
Um... A-Are you okay?
*pant pant*...sorry, I got a bit carried away! Well, that's pretty much the basics of fishing!
I think I got it.
Anyway, the better you get at fishing, the more fish you can catch! So keep working at it! Just remember to be patient! Fishing isn't easy to master!
I... I can tell.

Usually, you'd have to buy a fishing rod from Gaius! But you can't start fishing without a fishing rod! You should be thankful you have such a kind master! Anyway, do you have any questions?
Uh, not in particular, no.
Great! Then why don't you go catch something?! How about...1 fish? Yeah, that sounds good...go catch 1 spring fish! Since it's spring now, you can catch them around our store! You can even go to Privera Forest to catch them! Oh! But be careful of the monsters! Well, good luck!
Uh...you mean you want me to catch the fish right now?
That's right! Now hop to it! Off you go!

I just barely missed her punching Link. :argh:

I look forward to seeing what you can catch! See ya!
Y-Yeah...see ya.

We actually lost 2 HP from Carmen punching us. Brutal.

It is, but one I never remember to use. It's not very useful once you're past the earlygame resource bottleneck.

Wow, it sounds like you're really into it!
Really into it? Of course! Who WOULDN'T be? If anything, you're not into it enough!

Fishing time.

The squid counts as a fish for the purposes of this quest, but I went back and fished up the trout because I forgot you actually have to give the fish to Carmen.

It looks like you've got what it takes to be a fisherman! Good work! Here's a special treat from your master!
Thank you!
Just keep on practicing! You are now dismissed, apprentice!
Yes, master!
Oh, wait a sec!
Uh...yes?
Have you been looking in your mailbox?
My mailbox?
Yeah! You know, the mailbox next to your front door! As you get to know the people around here better and better, they'll send letters to your mailbox!
Oh, really?
Yep! So be sure to take a look in your mailbox sometime! Someone might be looking for your help, and you wouldn't even know it! So be sure you don't ignore them!
Okay! I'll be sure to look!
Great! Dismissed then, apprentice! This time for real!

We haven't had any mailbox requests yet, but now that they're unlocked, we'll be getting a bunch. You can take one bulletin board and one mailbox quest per day, so this effectively doubles the number of quests I can do.

And our reward was...a sardine. Sure.

While I'm bumming around the Inn/Bathhouse, I stumble upon a reference to RF1! Mei was one of the bachelorettes in that game, and was a loving pain in the rear end to marry because you needed to level up a Lover Snapper using Nintendo WFC(which is impossible now) or local wireless(which involved having a friend who also owned RF1 having 2 DSes and 2 copies of the game).

Also she's apparently immortal or something.

Y-Yes...how do you know who I am?
Calm yourself. I only know of you due to your unusual name.
I-I see...
I am Mei. I have the ability to affect people's memories and change your name. However, I will only change your name if you wish it. Would you like to change it?

Mei's purpose here is to let you rename your character & farm, in case you decided you made a big mistake. But we're not going to do that. She doesn't have affection values or anything so there's no reason to talk to her again, but she does have some interesting dialogue here and there.

Time for some dungeon crawling. This event has another weird trigger; I'm pretty sure it won't happen while you have a request active, which is why I'm getting it even though Link's been to the forest already.

What are you up to?
Wells?
You shouldn't wander into Privera Forest unless you're prepared.
Why? What's in there?
Monsters, of course! If you don't have a weapon with you, you're liable to get walloped! And I hear that troublesome raccoon is hiding in there too. It'd be nice if someone would take care of him.
Wells...

Wouldn't it be easier to call an exterminator? I mean, it's a raccoon. Link doesn't have time for this poo poo.

Nonsense! You ought to at least be a match for a raccoon. Have a little faith in yourself. The monsters in Privera Forest aren't too tough if you're ready for them. Just don't try exploring any other areas yet.
Other areas?
On the west side of town are entrances to Vale Rive and Sol Terrano Desert. On the east side, you'll find Oddward Valley. The monsters in those places are a lot more dangerous than the ones you'll find in Privera Forest. So you'd better stick to Privera Forest until you've got a lot more experience fighting monsters.
Got it.
I should also tell you about Teleport. You can use Teleport when you need to get home fast. If you're in a dungeon, it'll take you to the entrance. If you're in town, it'll take you straight to the.Sharance Tree. Open the quick equip menu with L and equip the spell to X or Y. It doesn't use any RP, so you can use it any time. Teleport is a special ability. You can't remove it, so you'll always have it with you.

Way ahead of you, Wells.

Sounds useful. I'll try it out.
Oh, and don't you go bringing any monsters back into town! I hate those danged things!

Right. You're not a fan of monsters. Got it.

We're definitely going to be defying him and taming some monsters eventually. But not today.

One thing I haven't shown off yet is giving gifts to villagers. They have some items they like/love and some items they dislike/hate, which raise and lower affection by a little/a lot, respectively. Daria is relatively easy to gift earlygame, since she likes the colored grasses blanketing the fields.

Time for some murder. Pomme Pommes are barely more dangerous than Woolies, since they'll actually attack you but are lousy at it.

Orcs are the first dangerous enemy here, since they attack you aggressively & some flavors come with a ranged attack. Fortunately, the hammer's knockback+stun makes them a lot easier to deal with.

They also drop a variety of things, including our first accessory!

There's not much that uses magic this early on, but it's better than nothing.

After fighting my way through one side of the lake:

Hmm.

But it's getting late and Link's beat to hell, so it's time to call it a day.

Just FYI: I'm going to be gone for a week. I've pre-recorded the next couple updates, so regular updates will resume around April 10th.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I love Carmen's Master schtick, also I never knew she hurt you, I wonder if she can knock you out if she finishes off your hp.

The first time I played RF3 I was emulating it, and the fish shadows alone refused to work so fishing was so hard, the good news was after mehing on harvest moon for a decade, I loved it so much that I immediately ran out and bought 1, 2, and 3. I sadly started with 3 so playing 1 and 2 is pretty much impossible.

Also gently caress Mei, gently caress everything about anything that actually uses Nintendo Wifi features for all of eternity, and gently caress em again because they cant be used anymore.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Fishing is a great way to make money... As long as you don't somehow luck into getting multiples of a certain very valuable seed... Although you can still fish so you just make even more money.

My run was super crazy, I suppose it makes sense (in a way... maybe) I became ultra rich when trying to woo Sakuya.

Also I had no idea about being able to stand still to regain some SP. I guess it might have helped in the early days when I still had RF1-levels of RP.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I had no idea Mei was implied to be immortal. :psyduck:

I mean, I like Rune Factory's chill fantasy world but there's some weird stuff in it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Woolies carry clippers around for very good reasons.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Oh man I love the Rune Factory series! RF4 is in my top 10 list of favorite games! Too bad the company folded after it was released :smith: I know Stardew Valley exists, but I actually really like the action-RPG parts of the games and it didn't quite scratch that? The forging shenanigans in RF4 were pretty great.

But yeah for this game. Ho boy, the characters are definitely something. It's nice they went all out to define the like 10 plus characters and give them all their own quests and storylines but man I am personally glad they decided to dial it back a notch for RF4 .hint hint Fire Emblem I remember being pleasantly surprised by Raven, though I think I went for Sakuya since I felt her :10bux: gimmick fit with the whole farm business/making insane amounts of money.

Speaking of which, I am fully expecting you to never have any money issues at all after like the first month since it is ridiculously easy to get a few thousand from just "cooking" turnips, the most basic crop, with your hands. Each pickled turnip is 480 g which adds up ridiculously quickly with how many crops an average harvest is AND its really easy to go straight from level 1 to max level seeds in this game. And once you can get the other cooking implements, money--especially from fish--just skyrockets exponentially. Having ALL THE MONEY also helps with combat since the magic store's list of spells is randomized and you can get access to like endgame spells in your first week and afford them then thanks to :10bux: TO go back to RF4 i definitely feel that game had a much saner money and seed level and general progress curve

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Oh man I love the Rune Factory series! RF4 is in my top 10 list of favorite games! Too bad the company folded after it was released :smith: I know Stardew Valley exists, but I actually really like the action-RPG parts of the games and it didn't quite scratch that? The forging shenanigans in RF4 were pretty great.

But yeah for this game. Ho boy, the characters are definitely something. It's nice they went all out to define the like 10 plus characters and give them all their own quests and storylines but man I am personally glad they decided to dial it back a notch for RF4 .hint hint Fire Emblem I remember being pleasantly surprised by Raven, though I think I went for Sakuya since I felt her :10bux: gimmick fit with the whole farm business/making insane amounts of money.

Speaking of which, I am fully expecting you to never have any money issues at all after like the first month since it is ridiculously easy to get a few thousand from just "cooking" turnips, the most basic crop, with your hands. Each pickled turnip is 480 g which adds up ridiculously quickly with how many crops an average harvest is AND its really easy to go straight from level 1 to max level seeds in this game. And once you can get the other cooking implements, money--especially from fish--just skyrockets exponentially. Having ALL THE MONEY also helps with combat since the magic store's list of spells is randomized and you can get access to like endgame spells in your first week and afford them then thanks to :10bux: TO go back to RF4 i definitely feel that game had a much saner money and seed level and general progress curve

Also buying cooking oil in bulk, making fire spells your ultimate weapon. Whoo boy, thats the poo poo.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Ashsaber posted:

Also buying cooking oil in bulk, making fire spells your ultimate weapon. Whoo boy, thats the poo poo.

:getin: It was the third level fire spell that was being sold in the shop Week 2

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Sharance's Mean Bean Machine

Music: Festival

Today's the Bean Throwing Festival!

But the festival itself takes no in-game time, so I still need poo poo to do today. And it turns out that Daria desperately needs some wood.

Just to make double-sure you don't miss festivals, everyone in town will be talking about them on the day of.

Wait, I'm what now?
I'm out of Wood to carve. And inspiration just struck me! So hurry and bring me 3 Wood! Inspiration waits for no one!
Ah...okay.
You can get Wood by hopping branches with an axe. But if that's too slow, maybe you can try chopping down some signs or something. Art demands sacrifices!
Uh, I think I'll stick with branches.
Well, whatever you think is best.
I'm on it.

Daria wasn't lying about getting wood from signs. It's not a particularly efficient way to get lumber, but it's there.

Carlos, maybe you shouldn't be so overconfident.
Hm? You say something, bro'?
N-Never mind...

How come demons lose their power when you throw beans at them?
Beans have invisible energy inside them. Demons are weak against the energy, and run away from it. And that's why you can beat ogres with beans!
Really? Wow! You know everything!

As far as I can tell this festival is a reference to Setsubun, down to throwing beans at ogres/demons & Shino/Sakuya referencing bringing in good luck with the beans.

Karina is always so energetic!

Certain villager groups will have conversations with each other on festival days(in this case three separate group conversations, one for each girl!), on top of their own individual conversations. In this case I'm guessing it's an excuse to give Raven some early character depth.

When expressing emotions other than :geno: makes others concerned, maybe you should talk a bit more. Maybe.

Huh? Battle?

Is Raven feeling well? Should we bring Marian over here?

You do you, Karina.

Shall we help her practice, Raven?
Gladly.
Hey, those beans hurt! Ow! Stop it! They really hurt!
Th-That's a little harsh...

Wh-What do you mean?!
Shall we start?
With pleasure!
Hey, stop throwing those beans at me! They feel so good!

I...I see...

Man, these girls are ruthless. Let's get out of there.

Oh, it's just that those beans look SO good!
*sigh* I'll make some beans for you later, then.
Let's see. Maybe I'll add some of that, too. Oh! And that herb, and...
Hey! What are you planning on making?!

Of course! That's why I mixed them in my medicine ahead of time! You want a taste?
Ow! Hey, don't throw beans at me, Collette!

Why are these two friends again?

I'm quite good at throwing my sewing needles, though.
P-Please don't throw your sewing needles...

Is anyone in this town not consumed by violence?

Ah, much better.

No, not me. I'm being an ogre right now.
What?!

So she wished me luck because it would bring in more business and profits!
Wow, she's just a ball of ill intent.

Shino, you realize an entire day's passed since we started this conversation, right? Maybe refresh the context before diving in to it?

After a harrowing adventure chopping wood, eating medical herbs to keep going, and chopping more wood, we have 9! Time to report back to Daria.

Of course! Imagine if I could carve up the Sharance Tree. I could make a towering statue that would put every other wood carving to shame!
Y-You can't do that! The Sharance Tree is sacred! And...it's where I live.
I'm just kidding! For now, anyway.
For now?!
Thanks for your help, assistant! Here you go!
Uh, thanks.
I'll send for you again if I need anything, my dear assistant!
O-Okay...

Iron. One piece of iron. Sure.

Spoilers: I am very, very bad at this festival. Even with savescumming.

tl;dr(again): Get hit by beans. Brown beans are worth more than green beans. Start combos by being hit by lots of beans in a row. Don't get hit by Failed Dishes.

The first wave of beans is fairly simple, with each villager throwing them in a straight line.

Then it starts getting more complicated.

The winner was Karina of all people. I didn't even make the top 3 in any of my attempts.

I did get a handful of cooking bread as a consolation prize, which isn't awful.

And now all everyone will be talking about is how badly you/they lost.

Yyyeeeah, just a little.

I need a nice, long, massage, my dear assistant...
Um...I-I don't think I can help you with that right now.

Keep it in your pants, Daria. You just met Link a couple days ago.

This doesn't sound too hard. Let's do it!

Sure did!
Good! This shouldn't be a difficult errand for you! I just had a huge meal, but I'm still kinda hungry! I could really use a tiny snack. Just a nibble!
I think I can handle that. What do you want?
Could you bring me 3 Rice?
3?! That's not a "nibble"!
Says you! It is to me!
I wonder what it'd take to make you feel full...anyway, I'll take care of it!
Cool! And you better hurry up! I'm wasting away here!

Rice can be bought from the general store. ...which is closed today, because it's a festival day. Oops. At least this can be dealt with quickly tomorrow.

I forgot them!

I don't think that's what she meant, Pia.

Okay! That's awesome!
It sure is!
It's time to get out of the red!
Exactly.
We're in this together!
Y-Yeah.

I'm starting to think Sakuya isn't a very good influence on Pia.

Just wait till next year...
W-wow...you look intense, Raven.

Thank you...(I guess nobody tried)

I said I wasn't very good at it, okay? :saddowns:

:rip:

And with that, the rest of the day is spent twiddling my thumbs grinding skills for the first dungeon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, the Bean Throwing Contest is pretty explicitly Setsubun with the cultural association filed off. It's a lot easier to explain "throw beans at people to chase off bad luck" than it is to try to explain what oni are and why you'd wear masks representing them.

Also, something that screenshots don't really get across is that poo poo gets pretty bullet hell at the end. It's easier to dodge the failed dishes if you're further back, but that also means you have more problems getting the beans with which to do a score good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is Fantasy Whatever, you're going to be up to your armpits in goblin-equivalents if you're not at least a little martially inclined. Bean danmaku and all.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Setsubun is the weirdest Japanese holiday. It feels like all of Japan celebrated it once 1000 years ago, and somehow never did it again, but also never forgot about it. I dont think any part of Japan still does it, it just randomly revives itself to be put in a random series every few years. I'm bad at the minigame too, but I dont quit till I'm #1! I also average out to 3rd or 2nd so maybe I'm not bad.

Also god so much personality even if its reliant on a trope trait. This is why I think 4 is so lacking, the character requests give you a mandatory insight into who the characters are which inspires you to look for more and you dont get disappointed after. I dont think 4 has any groups like Raven/Karina/Sofia 3 young girls that are just friends without working together, plot shenanigans, or being family, theyre just friends and its a beautiful dynamic. 4 did have the honor of being the first game to have an actual plot, rather than just an ending, but only like half the characters get involved with the plot at all, and the random events are, well random and super infrequent so I never had any motivation to actually raise friendship levels, I wasnt being rewarded for it like this game does so well. The only characters in 4 I can remember the names of off the top of my heard are Forte due to getting nothing but her random events, Arthur cuz Its my last name, and Ventus cuz Dragon. Even without this LP I could list off half the character's names.

Sofia is just somehow so charming with her reverse nonsense, and Raven's moments of actual dialogue are just so nice to see. I dont think I ever noticed Collete's heart eyes, but It's inspired me to remember her name! I like Shino's moments of battlelust alot too. And Pia and Sakuya are good sisters even if they arnt really sisters. I cant think of anything for Daria or Carmen right now, but I know I'll have something to obsess over eventually.

God I love this game.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Inn Quests

Music: Home Sweet Home

It's a beautiful day in the cabbagehood.

Cabbages sell for more than turnips, but grow slower. The trade-off's worth it.

When your soil quality is poor, your crops will take longer to grow. So rotate between a few different planting spots to keep that from happening. Also, sprinkling Withered Grass or Formula A where you tilled will help.

Crop rotation exists. It's also completely negligible once you're able to spam fertilizers at will. This has been your Fun Farm Fact™ of the day.

Anyway, time to grab the 3 bowls of rice Collette wanted and head off to find her starvation-riddled corpse.

After a quick nap, of course.

Wait, what am I thinking?
Are you tired? I guess you can sleep there...

And I really like pastries with chocolate. I make them all the time at work.

Eat your vegetables, Rusk.

Oh, there's Collette.

Link! You have your own bed!

Maybe some rice will smooth things over?

*SCARF SCARF*
Guess she was right about that being a "tiny nibble" after all. She tore right through that!
Done! You're a life-saver! Thought I was gonna starve for a sec there! Hey, you grow veggies, right? I'm sure you could use this for when I-- er, I mean, YOU get hungry! Well, it won't be long till I'm hungry again! Ta-ta till then!

Well, there are worse quest rewards.

Exactly. They make good clothes.
Clothes?!

God help Evelyn if Pia ever hears about this.

But you should take a bath if you're tired. Baths are amazing. Huh?

It's right around 10, so might as well take the time-sensitive one.

Oh, you saw the bulletin board? Well, could you go order some meals from Blaise then?
From Blaise?
I put together the snacks, but we have Blaise do our meals. There are some customers who come just for that.
Very impressive.
Yes. And so, about your job. We serve at lunch, so please get back here by 12PM.
Yes, of course.
Oh, and be sure to order a warm, Eastern style meal that doesn't use seafood.

Sounds simple enough. Almost...too simple.

Ah, I see. You are helping out with the inn. Very well then. What was the order?

I'm done. Please get this to Shino.
Okay. Thank you very much!

Too simple. And too normal. What's the catch?

What? It wasn't ordered by a customer?
That's right. But, it's my job to match the perfect meal to my customer...anyway, thank you. This is your payment.

That was it? No wacky hijinks? Just doing a simple job and getting paid for it? Am I still playing RF3?

Chill, we're here to help.

Did you see the letter?
Yes.
Good. I wanted you to get.me some Bamboo Shoot. One of my customers.said he's never had it before.
Bamboo shoot? Yeah, okay.
Really? Then how do you harvest Bamboo Shoot?

You can also use a sickle or sword to get them, but hoe is the right answer here.

Exactly. Very impressive, Link. Well, thanks for doing this for me.

Bamboo shoots spawn all over the fields in Spring, so finding one isn't hard.

You've proven that you can be counted on.
Oh, it wasn't much.
So I've got something for you! Now, pick one.

Each box has different stuff - the good-smelling box has salmon sashimi, the spicy box has curry powder, and the sweet smelling box has strawberry jam. I take the jam since it's worth the most. Someday money will be an afterthought, but not today.

Different souvenirs...you really do go a lot of different places.
Well, it is my job. You have to travel around, getting to know. the different places. Although, I pretty much just love to travel.
Ha ha...
This Bamboo Shoot will be a good souvenir. Thanks a lot.
You're welcome. Just let me know.if you need anything.
Yes. Well, thanks again.

A peek at villager affection. Daria likes Link most since I've done one of her quests & fed her a couple pieces of colored grass. Everyone else is from a combination of how easy they are to talk to while roaming around & which quests I've done.

Ummm...
Ummm...
Ah...

Riveting.

Survivability tip: Armor good. Remember to buy some from Gaius so you can take more than 4 hits without dying.

22 is a slight improvement on 3.

Time to murder our way towards plot progression.

Let's see..."When the faces see each other, the doors will open." What does that mean...?

Each statue can rotate. This may seem like the world's simplest puzzle, but the answer actually isn't turning the two statues to face each other. There's a set of statues on the other side of the lake, and you need the statues on each side to face the other. So it's really the world's second-simplest puzzle!

Like so. Time to head to the other side.

Ooo, new toy.

Charging it all the way without getting hit(or having the enemies wander away from you) can be fiddly, but the attack itself is alright.

Oops. At least this is a good excuse to go to bed.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

You don't need to make the left set of statues face each other for progress. They are a recent addition by our local over-enthusiastic artist, after all.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Last Transmission posted:

You don't need to make the left set of statues face each other for progress. They are a recent addition by our local over-enthusiastic artist, after all.

Really? That's a great touch!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Its only been a week, am I crazy or does 3 affection rise faster than 4 affection?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you need to hoe up wild bamboo, or is it only in your fields?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
All bamboo needs to be hoed/scythed up, but in only spawns in fields(including dungeon fields) in the first place.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Bath Census

Music: Home Sweet Home

Another day, another quest.

Looks like someone didn't finish eating it!
Yuck! Who would be eating in the bath...?

Spoilers: It's Pia. She has an eternal vendetta against squid.

We are living in a literal tree house. How are we even supposed to heat this thing in the winter?

Oh, you don't have to worry about that. The Sharance Tree is nearly impervious to fire.
Whew. That's good to hear.
I'm glad you asked. Every responsible homeowner should be concerned about fire safety.
Yes.

By the way, about these mosquitoes...

Can we at least get some bug nets over the entry stairs? :saddowns:

You don't even like sweeter vegetables?

Vegetables, Rusk, eat them, etc.

I'll leave it to you then. (It's today.)
What?!

Same response for all three. Oh, Karina. You're...a person, alright.

Yeah. Looks like I'm out at the moment. Or out of what I need, anyway!
That seems to happen a lot with you. What do you need, exactly?
Scrap Metal.
Scrap Metal?!
Why are you yelling?
Well...sometimes, I just yell for no reason. It's kinda how I roll.
You're weird.
Yeah, it's a personality quirk, I guess. So I just need to bring Scrap Metal?
Yes. And no yelling when you bring it, okay?

To the mines! Without yelling.

Oh! I-It's not like I'm expecting to get anything from Karina!
Oh, I haven't said anything, yet...

'I...it's not like I wanted a birthday present or anything, baka!'

People love getting random vegetables for their birthday, right?

I really like this! Thank you!

This is the fantasy middle ages, of course they do.

Cologne time.

What does that even mean?
I'm not sure. That's what Grandfather called it. It must be some old expression.

This is one of the worst colognes you could get, because it only gives points for two people. Oh well, can't argue with free points either way.

The resident olds are the ones who like it, in case Shara wasn't obvious enough.

Do you go there to fight...?
Hm?
Never mind...

I see...
Is there something in the forest?
No...I just felt like asking...

Odd as ever.

I told you I was free. But that was a bald-faced lie. I was actually upset about something.
Oh, right. Don't worry about it. It's fine.
Great! No hard feelings, then! And I never want to see your loathsome, detestable visage again!
You don't?!

Yes, Link's already had it clarified that Sofia speaks in opposites. Yes, he's still getting confused by it.

We're practically tripping over the stuff with our low mining skill, it's not a very hard fetch quest.

Oh, is that the outfit you're working on over there?
Yep! Just needed to add the final touches! Scrap Metal!
So I take it that's an outfit for guys?
Absolutely. Men need something testosterone-laden to really make their outfits "pop." I focus on female fashion, of course, but I dabble in male fashion as well.
Well, it's good you're an equal-opportunity offender, then.
Er, I mean, it's good that you offer both male and female fashions!
Thanks! I take a lot of pride in my work! So, this outfit's for Gaius. You think it suits him?
Uh...lemme think about this...

It's criminal that we never get to see him wearing this.

Hmm...It could work.
Wow, you really think so?! I was worried it was a little too...understated. I'm glad you think it suits him, though. That's reassuring.
Yeah, well, I don't think you need to add any more "flavor."
Flavor? You think maybe I should add some cheesecake or peach slices?
It's, uh...fine as it is. Really. Trust me.
Well, if you say so! Here's a little something for your fashion consulting!

You know, you've got a little bit of fashionista in you! I'll definitely be hiring you again!

:getin:

Oh, that! Cool! I could really use your help. It's for the census!
The census? For the town, you mean?
No, it's the bath census! Question the first! You like your water warm or cold?

What kind of weirdo likes cold baths? But thanks to the power of text dumps, we can hear all three responses!

Smmmooookin'! Somebody stop you!
Uh, I like my baths as hot as possible. What can I say?

>Tepid

I think you ain't nothin' but a gutless yellow jerk! And I'm givin' you to the count of 10 to prove me wrong!
Are you...threatening me?
Oh, I just overheard some vagabond say that one time when he was fighting. I always thought that line sounded really cool!
Ah, okay. Though you wanted me to put up my dukes! But yeah, that is kind of a cool line!

>Cold

What, you think this is a kiddie pool? You're just gonna hop in the shallow end with your life jacket?
Uh...no. I just prefer my water cold!

Pia's pretty strong evidence that something's in the water around here.

Question the second!
Oh, there's more than one question?

What?! Now you're just making up colors, buddy!
Uh, but it was one of the options.
Clerical error. I blame the gnomes! They're not very skilled copy editors...well, moving on!
Wait, wasn't that last question invalid, then?
Nope! The gnomes have the final say!
I'm not even gonna get into that...

>Milky white

White is the new black!
Huh? Who told you that?
Sakuya! So, I take it you like black, too?
Uh, yeah. Sure.

>Tan

Ah, the color of iron! The water turns that color when iron oxidizes!
Wow, I didn't think.you were much into science!
Oh, I can drop so much science on you! For example, don't stay in iron-colored water too long! You'll rust!
Uh, I'm not made of metal!

I'm not thinking it's iron in the water, but it's definitely a metal of some sort.

Slimy? Hey, isn't that copyright infringement?
Hmmm...
Oily?
Oh, it's getting farther.

>Silky

Silky's nice...but I think I prefer suede-textured water!
Is that even biologically possible...?

>Crunchy

You've got great taste in water texture! That's my favorite, too!
I was actually joking...
Don't be dissing crunch water, buddy!

It does make me wonder why the older people are the sanest, though. Maybe you develop a resistance to the water over time?

A prize? For a census?!
I'll come around again next census!
I'm gonna have to go through this nonsense again?!

All that for some juice.

The Sharance Tree...can I dye it a new color?
Uh, what color?
Daria's special rainbow!
Wouldn't a rainbow be lots of colors?
Yes! But no! The colors are different, but so inseparable that they might as well be one!
Well, that sounds interesting. But I think a lot of people would get angry if you painted the tree.
Oh, that's too bad.

Back to the forest.

Stairs...I guess I can go down.

I'm not sure this is a suitable job for our local rainbow-obsessed artist, but she's our best shot.

A broken bridge? How mundane. I'm sure I could fix it, but where's the art in that?
Come on, a great artist like you? I'm sure you can find something artistic to do with it.
You're right! A great artist can make art out of anything! Leave it to me! I'll build you a bridge like you've never seen!

Of course she can summon rainbows out of thin air. Did you really expect anything less?

Some of this! And some of that! This! Is!
Art!! Rainbow!!!

No, this is Link. Art is in the RF4 LP.

It's another masterpiece! A bridge like no other!

Link just doesn't understand the artistic process.

Wow. Daria wasn't kidding about the bridge being unique. It's really...something.

I kind of love it.

The rest of the day is spent murdering things and harvesting drops. The stuff coming up isn't super hard, but I'd rather go in fresh.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 22, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Okay, I actually cracked up at those bridges.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I think part of what's tripping Link up is that Sofia occasionally says what she actually means. Not often, but it does happen.

Maybe Pia secretes hallucinogens from her skin or something? That might explain the low average sanity in the area- everyone's tripping balls! In other words: Pia isn't crazy because of something in the water, everyone's crazy because Pia keeps getting into their drinking water! Also: I think Daria got into the responses for Pia's quiz.

That bridge isn't unique, because there's another just like it on the other side. :downs:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure why, but when I read the dialogue through screenshots it's a lot more charming than when I was playing myself.

*takes another sip from his All-Natural Pure Organic Mineral Sharance Water™*

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
What if the rainbow bridge makes the water more pretty?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I do appreciate that they didn't half-rear end the craziness. If you're gonna be nuts, be nuts.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bath Census is amazing just saying.

Pia owns.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oh my god, I love this game. I love this game so much, I almost forgot why I loved Rune factory so much when I first found it, but the spark is back! I swear I'm gonna start playing along with you soon.

Hows the 4 SSLP? I bookmarked it but never started. General style, completionism, are they grinding out the random events, etc?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Pia is completely mental and I love it. Bath Census started out weird conceptually, first question was... sensible and then it went to crazy town. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Bath Census was completely amazing. I imagine she gets those questions from a creepy old crow at the heart of the world.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Tea Delivery

Music: Spring

A quick one to make up for delays caused by Persona 5 very important stuff.

Could you take these Relax Tealeaves to Marjorie?
No problem.
I'd ask Karina, but I can't find her anywhere. The only thing that girl works hard at is skipping out on work!
Ha ha...
Anyway, thanks for doing this for me.

Many of these early quests are just going over qualities you'll have seen already. I guess it's in case you're not talking to everyone? (Although that'd be a bad life choice, since RF3 has a huge variety of daily chat)

They always start chasing me whenever I have food with me.
Really?
Well, I guess the food was theirs to begin with, but still, isn't that rude?!

Is that why everything in the forest attacks me? Because I'm stealing their delicious apples and mushrooms?

Black thing...?
It was so beautiful that it's been haunting my dreams...
Your hands are shaking...

In any other game this would be a lead-in to a spooky quest. Here it's daily dialog that I'm pretty sure never comes up again.

I love it so much that I'm doing your job.

Hmmm...(Weirdo...)

Oh, I see. (That sounds a little too much like me...)

gently caress you too, Karina.

Eat your flowers, Rusk.

Karina must be hiding from work again.
Looks like it.
Ho ho. My Marian's a handful, but I'll bet Hazel gets just as much trouble from Karina.
Ha ha...
But you don't have to worry about those two. They actually love each other very much.
Is that right?
They just have a funny way of showing it. Anyway, I got the goods. Give Hazel my best.
Will do!

Speaking of Marian.

Someone bring me a patient! Link! Go bring me Collette!
Is...Is that an order...?

Aaaand backing away slowly.

Yep.
I'm glad there's someone around here I can count on! Here's your reward.

(She's really hard on Karina. I guess that shows that she cares?)
What is it? Is there something on your mind?
Well, you and Karina seem to have a...contentious relationship sometimes.
You're darn right! That's because she's a useless slacker! Why, did Marjorie say something about us?
Uh...

Use your words, Link. You're even talking to a sane person here!

What? What did she say?!
Well...
No, never mind. I don't want to know.
It really wasn't anything bad.
I don't care! I don't want to hear it! Now off with you!
Huh? But I...

Fade to outside.

Well, I need to shop here, so I'd better not bring it up again.

At least we'll get another cabbage out of this in a few days?

What, you don't have anything you hate?
No way! I'll eat anything! Actually, check that! I absolutely HATE milk!
Uh, so how's that different than Rusk not liking vegetables?

...because you can have a healthy diet without milk but not without vegetables?

It's TOTALLY different! It's a metabolism thing! You wouldn't understand!

I somehow never knew about this thing next to the bulletin board until now. The festival thing is basically the only reason you'd want to cancel a request(unless you flat-out can't finish it and want to do something else in the meantime). This tip also covers the two types of randomly generated quests - battle quests(where you defeat a number of a given monster) and fetch quests.

But for now we want to do as many non-random quests as possible. Let's see what Carlos has to say.

(Uh...I wonder what it could be...)

Fishing's a pretty extreme activity, you feel me? This drink'll help you get fit, and quick! I mean, check out my muscles, bro'!
Yes...they're pretty impressive, Carlos...
Think of this as a toast to your first step into the world of fishing! Congratulations, Link! So from now on, I expect you to be a regular customer!
Heh...you're quite a salesman, Carlos!

Well, that was fast.

The reward's pretty good, too. This permanently increases our strength by 1 point. It's not much in the long run, but every little bit helps now.

Your field...can I dye it a new color?
Uh...
Daria's special rainbow II!
Rainbow II? Wasn't the first rainbow color enough?
If I paint your field with it, it'll be a thousand times better! A blinding explosion of color!
Uh, I kind of need to be able to see my crops. Sorry.

So, we now have access to the first boss of the game, but we're not quite tough enough to take it on yet.

That means the rest of the day is spent training on a new weapon - the spear. The spear is kind of the polar opposite of the hammer. It attacks quickly and doesn't make you as much of a slave to momentum, but it also has a harder time hitting multiple enemies.

I mostly stuck to hammers when I first played RF3, but spears wrecked face in RF4. Maybe they'll impress me as much here?

The spear's dash attack isn't very impressive. It's awkward to aim, and you'd do a lot more damage by just attacking normally. The stun chance is nice, I guess?

Early levels of weapon skills come so quickly there's no reason not to dabble in them. If nothing else, you get extra RP and Strength out of the deal.

Once I've had enough of a beating, the evening's spent clearing the fields until I pass out. I swear I'm not doing this on purpose. :downs:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Pia is one of my favorite video game characters ever, so I'm so happy to see this lunacy unfold. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I wonfer if we can get quality of life remakes from 1 and 2 and a graphics remake from 3. Even I want to complain about those models, lol.

• Locked thread