Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's slightly better when they're in motion & not being resized so it's easier to see what's happening in the screenshots, but...yeah.

I'd be happier to see a RF5 at all, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

After 4 I'd prefer a remake tbh. I know Im a broken record about this but the removal of the character requests is just such a major thing that Im shocked 4 was so well recieved. I think everyone will agree that the main appeal is befriending the villagers and interacting with them, and while its still there even without character requests it went from being a well maintained road to one full of potholes and shattered asphalt.

In 3 every single day has a goal, run your routine of farming and villager freindships and get rewarded with quests to befriend and interact with them, you have a constrant stream that never lets up and fills you with motivation. Also do dungeons because its fun and kind of required to advance most things.

4 still has the routine, but youre no longer rewarded for doing it. Instead you get plot that is focused on a select handful(?)/half(?) of the characters and randomly triggered events that are in much shorter supply and just dont happen often. I beat the plot and never saw enough to get with any of the characters I wanted to, and I had no motivation to max everyones affection despite doing so all 3 playthroughs of 3 I did. Hell I think 3 was my most played DS game.

And since 4 did well, I dont think theyre gonna put actual effort to bring 3's style back. This is all dependant on whoever owns the license now doing anything with it though. Ill try to make this the last time I rant about this, and If I somehow missed such a major feature of 4 that it would help me enjoy it more, please do tell.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I think the license actually went with Neverland to its grave. I'd be amazed at there being anything Rune Factory again, ever.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm sure someone's going to fill that niche and make not-Rune Factory, the bat-poo poo insane but loveable anime spiritual sequel. We're due for a IN SPAAAAACE reproduction, I think!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is Relax Tea still, like, the elixir of life that it was in previous editions?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

I think the license actually went with Neverland to its grave. I'd be amazed at there being anything Rune Factory again, ever.

The Rune Factory series' developers were hired by Marvelous not too long after Neverland went under; can't say whether they've acquired the rights to the series itself, but there's still hope of a future Rune Factory game, even if they can't use the name anymore.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Glazius posted:

Is Relax Tea still, like, the elixir of life that it was in previous editions?

By the time I learned how to make Relax Tea and was consistently able to do so, there were a ton of other food options that were a lot easier to make.

...Actually, I can't remember making it but the once for shipping credit.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Leraika posted:

By the time I learned how to make Relax Tea

This right here's the problem. Even if Relax Tea wasn't stupidly high level cooking (how hard is it to make some goddamn tea) the fact that you need not one, but two recipe breads to go your way (since the only sane way to get Relax Tea is through making Relax Tealeaves) means that by the time you can make it, it's just sort of... there.

It kind of falls into the same trap that Royal Curry does in that it's super good but why bother when you could just make, like, sushi ice cream and get most of the same effect for a fraction of the effort and sunk cost.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Haifisch posted:

In any other game this would be a lead-in to a spooky quest. Here it's daily dialog that I'm pretty sure never comes up again.

Extremely disappointed we won't be having a spooky St. Coquille Mansion dungeon.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Errand Boy

Music: Spring Dungeon

Another day toiling away in the turnip mines.

And another day of Link's Delivery Service.

I actually had orders from Blaise and Marjorie. But I have something else I needed to do. Do you think you could deliver them for me?
That's fine.
Thanks! I knew I could count on you.

Well, this Heavy Spice goes to Blaise, this Tomato goes to Marjorie.
Yeah, okay.
Well, thanks for doing this for me.

Mangez vos légumes, Rusk.

...did Link just get roped into a drug smuggling ring?

Sakuya asked me.
I see. Thank you. Please thank Sakuya for me for everything they do. We have a lot of customers who are picky about ingredients and Sakuya is a lifesaver.
Really? (So Sakuya is relied upon.)

Once, he had some wine to drink at a festival, and...Well, it sure was a sight to see!
Wait...Wh-What happened?
Oh, you'll have to ask Blaise about it.
(Huh? Why won't she tell me...?)

That's nice and all, but I have an urgent tomato for you.

Now, did I ever ask her for this...?
What?!
Ho ho. I'm kidding. We old people like teasing you youngsters.
P-Please don't startle me like that.
Oh, you're here for Sakuya, aren't you? Then that's the least you can do. That girl always indulges me.
Sakuya does?
Oh. She's a really nice girl. Unlike my granddaughter...

Don't ask. Just trust me on this one.
Okay...

Blaise must be one hell of a drunk.

They're very city-like, right? Very cute?
Y-Yeah... (I'm glad I didn't say they were strange.)

I'm assuming Karina is meant to be wearing different clothes here, but, y'know, DS game.

I wonder why?!

The cologne of the day. No prizes for guessing the witches like it.

Hey, Link! ! What do you think of when you hear the word "witch"?

Fear?! But witches aren't scary! WE'RE NOT SCARY AT ALL!!!

Maybe Marjorie isn't, but you? Uh, sure.

Ms. Innkeeper? Can we get the bath ready for one?!

Of course not.
Well, here's a special offer! One free voucher to the women's bath--

What's the deal?
You seem disappointed.
Wait...what are you doing?
I thought we'd do some stand-up comedy to draw customers in, but it's not going too well.
What's the deal?
Wait, what are you talking about?
That's about how well it's going...
Um, so...
Oh, well. Anyway, you got them delivered? Thanks. Well, here's your compensation.

What's the deal?
Yes, that's the timing! Pia, you remember that.
Robert!

Leave Pia alone. :saddowns:

Who's that? It's Roger!
Well, this is your real compensation.

Thanks, again.
Ah...

You ever get the feeling you're being watched?

Our prize is a clump of wool. It's no bath voucher, but...it'll do, I guess.

Also, Pia & Sakura were doing manzai. As for how they translated it...well, it honestly kind of works with this game.

Pictured: A mistake.

There's an ingredient I need to make sweets, but I forgot its name...Ahhh, what was it called again?!
Oh...that's it?
Something powder....If I had a pharmacy, I could make it with 2 apples. So, I need your help! Could you go find it for me?!
What?! Whaaaaaat?

This is what counts as a shocking request? Really, Link?

Hm, it's an ingredient to make sweets, and it's called something powder? I'll go look for it.
Okay! Please!

Have you guessed the problem yet?

When I get married, I'm going to cook for my husband. But I still haven't found a guy better than my brother. It's a serious problem.

This...isn't the problem I was talking about, but it's also a problem. :stonk:

So, you think a basic cooking ingredient might be bought at the general store, right? Well, not this one! The sweet powder(which is what Rusk was looking for, and should be obvious to anyone who's played a Rune Factory before) can't be bought in any of the town stores, so you have to unlock the Pharmacy to make it. The Pharmacy unlocks semi-early, but it'll still be a while before that happens.

So this request gets to sit on the board until that changes. Unforunately, this eats my bulletin board request for the day, so I'm only getting half as much done as usual.

The rest of the day is spent taking out my frustrations on innocent monsters.

And getting a lucky Onion Seed drop from an onion ghost. They're another spring crop, but one that hasn't been unlocked in the general store yet.

I also start grinding out cooking skill. Unforunately, you can only make one dish at a time, so this is a lot more tedious than it needs to be.

Especially since you have to sit through this stupid animation every single time. This is probably the biggest step back coming from RF4.

At least we got pickled turnips & skill boosts out of it.

Decent stats for the simplest dish we can make, and it sells for more than raw Pink Turnips. I'm going to be making a shitload of these offscreen from now on.

In the interest of this LP not taking 500 years, I'm going to try to do more than one day at a time now. It shouldn't be so bad now that most of the tutorializing crap is done & I don't need as much of the flavor text to establish the characters.

Fun fact: You can charge up before sowing seeds & cover a 9x9 plot(or as much of the plot as you can) in one go. I'm not sure if the game ever tells you this.

Sounds easy enough.

Aren't you here because of my letter?
Yeah, but...
Then let's go!
Aren't you at least going to tell me where we're going first?
Nope! Tee-hee. It's a surprise! But to start, we're going to head to Privera: Entrance! I'll give you more directions when we get there. Let's go!

I swear I didn't intentionally do this request on her birthday.

Mostly because I forgot it was today & was lucky I had a toyherb to give her.

Let's make a pit stop while we're here.

Those long antennae, all of those little legs...they're so creepy!
Wow! I've never seen you this afraid of anything.

I wonder if that extends to mantis shrimp? They're pretty rainbowy.

I wanted you to see this place. Just look at all of these flowers!

As tempted as I am to be an rear end in a top hat, let's not.

It's...really wonderful..Thank you for bringing me here.

Although Link's doing a good job of sounding unenthusiastic anyway.

Really? I'm so glad that you like it! I like to come here sometimes and.give the flowers a little water. And...sometimes I talk to them too. What I'm feeling, whatever I'm thinking about...I tell them everything. I know they're just plants, and they.can't understand what I'm saying. But talking to them somehow makes me feel better anyway.
I'll bet these flowers are so pretty.because of you, Shara.
What?
You've given them so much care and.attention. No wonder this field is full of beautiful flowers!
Thank you...That's very sweet of you to say. Well, I should go home.
I'll walk you there.
Oh, don't worry about it...We can save that for another date.
Ha ha...
Thank you for today. I'll see you soon.

I don't hate Shara, I just find her soulcrushingly boring. But maybe you readers will feel differently?

Next!

I don't wish to eat!
All right, then. I'll just be going--
That's why I requested.you bring me something to eat! Oh, but it must be something cooked or prepared!
Wait, what?! So...you WANT to eat, then?
No!
Which is it? Make up your mind!

Stop it with that stupid opposite-speak! No one ever knows what you want!
I don't understand.
Anyway, I apologize profusely. I'm sorry, Link. I'm sure you hate having to listen to my sister's babbling.
No, it's okay. So...what does she want me to do, exactly?
Well, when she says "no," she really means "yes."
That's simple enough. So I just need to bring you something cooked, Sofia?
You're an idiot. Of course that's not what I meant! So now that you know, hurry up and get it!
I don't think you needed to berate me like that! But I'll bring you what you, uh, "don't want."

One Pickled Turnip to the rescue!

Does this work for you?
Absolutely not! I'm utterly famished!
So...I guess I did a good job, then?
Here's a reward for your troubles!

I thank you profusely. Now I don't EVER want to see your loathsome face ever again!
THAT'S the thanks I get?!
Link! Think about it, you ninny. It's the opposite!
Oh, duh! Okay, see ya again soon!
If you ever come back, I'll beat you down with a.rusty hoe!
I really hope that's the.opposite-speak talking...

I love this hosed-up family.

Sofia, you don't have to speak in opposites AND be cruel at the same time!
I don't think I'll ever understand this family...

You're supposed to cook them before you eat them, Rusk.

Because I'm a bath!
Ummm...?

>I like them too.

Ahhh! Oh, you're so forward!
What?! How?!

>Do you like me?

Yup!
What?!
I think I do. Like baths just like you!
Oh...right.

Another day of combat earns me the actually good spear skill.

It's not quite as devastating as the RF4 spear charge skill, but it'll do. Unfortunately, it eats up quite a bit of RP, and...

I'm going to be so hosed once Marjorie starts charging for treatment.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Haifisch posted:

...did Link just get roped into a drug smuggling ring?
THE HEAVY SPICE MUST FLOW!

Haifisch posted:

I wonder if that extends to mantis shrimp? They're pretty rainbowy.
That is seriously psychadelic.

Haifisch posted:

I don't hate Shara, I just find her soulcrushingly boring. But maybe you readers will feel differently?
I suppose she's generic anime instead of ridiculous anime like everyone else is, which could make her seem "boring". Fortunately for her in my eyes, most of the townsfolk in this game seem pretty annoying. Pia and Shara seem the most tolerable of the bachelorettes so far. The Coquille family's opposite-speak is especially bad, partly mainly due to Link's absolute refusal to get a drat clue, even after it's been explained to him directly several times.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To be fair, we're still in the introductory arc of the game where our hero may have this be their first conversation with them. As the game goes on he gets more used to their quirks

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, so how sure are we that Pia isn't actually like a washtub that wished for 100 years to become a human, or something?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Ahh, Pia sadly isn't a tsukumogami... In fact, it is really obvious what she actually is. When she is outside in the rain she transforms into it. This happened to me on the first day, which made later reveals... kinda... less awe inspiring then they might have been. As in, mr. oblivious himself actually points out what she is if you give her fish sashimi.

To put it directly She is a tuna mermaid. As in specifically a tuna. So she is literally a fish out of water. She actually has separate dialogue for when you give her fish and sashimi that isn't made from squid... She also hates Squid. To the point that it is her favorite gift. Which makes her one of the easier to woo, as squid sashimi is really easy to make, and gives her a good sized boost.

That said, a Tsukumogami would be an interesting Bachelorette / Bachelor if they ever make RF5. I think the closest to it we have gotten in series is the possessed doll from 4...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zebrin posted:

Ahh, Pia sadly isn't a tsukumogami... In fact, it is really obvious what she actually is. When she is outside in the rain she transforms into it.
Unfortunately for me, I've had the worst luck catching her in the rain. Partially because I haven't gotten much rain, partially because villagers usually run inside whenever it starts raining.

I think in my first playthrough it took until Summer or Fall for the weather to align in my favor.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I can identify with Daria because shrimp look creepy as all hell up close.

The bulletin board stuff seems to be how all the Rune Factories after the original fill a lot of the spare time, which I think is probably a better idea than just a constant stream of dungeons. Are the requests always the exact same, or are some of them randomly generated?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
There are some randomly generated quests which want you to kill X amount of a certain monster, or ship a specific item, or other trivial things. There's not much reason to take them if you have non-random requests you can do, since you're limited in how many you can take per day. You also need to do all of a bachelorette's quests before you can marry her.

(Speaking of, we'll deal with marriage voting once more of them are close to 7 hearts. Right now everyone's at 2 or 3 hearts.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That's So Raven

Music: Home

Let's see what Daria's up to today.

Oh no. I have to hurry again? Hey, when your request said that you needed your assistant, did you mean me?
You bet I did! Who else could I trust to help me get paints?
*sigh* I'm still not sure I'm your...
What am I going to do without paints? If I can't paint soon, I'll die!
That seems a little melodramatic.
I need Red Grass, Yellow Grass, and Orange Grass.
3 different kinds?
You're my assistant! Assistants don't complain, they get things done! Get those grasses before I die!
I'm still not so sure about this "assistant" business.

Guess what I have huge piles of in my backpack?

I can paint once again! I owe you my life.
No need to go that far.
Maybe I did overreact a little.
Anyway, here's your reward!
Thank you very much.
I'll have something else for you to do soon! Farewell, my dear assistant!

Bronze is the next tier of metal we can mine. Don't think too hard about how that works when bronze is an alloy.

Yep! You can eat them, and they'll replenish some of your RP. Everyone in town says that our flowers taste surprisingly good!

That's a thing I'll do basically never, since I don't grow flowers much & cooked food is superior most of the time.

F-Fish?!
Sure! Now anyone who loves fish will also love you.

Nothing better than smelling like fish all day, right? This is actually one of the more useful colognes - Carlos, Carmen, Pia, Sakuya, & Shino all like it.

Might as well get this out of the way while I have iron.

Oh, she already has iron. Well, I'll just be going th-

Nevermind.

What? O-Okay. (It's unusual for her to ask for a favor like this.) Where's Gaius?
He needed more iron...
Ah, so he went to get some more iron?
Hm? What's wrong?
Hurry...
Oh, sorry!

Link walks off, but then...

Raven! Are you okay?!
I'm fine...
You're burning up! I think you have a fever!

Oh no, it's a terminal case of ellipses disease!

No, I'm fine...I was just near the forge earlier...
Raven, this is no joke! C'mon, let's head over to the apothecary!
No.
Raven...Well, at the very least, you should lie down and try to get some rest!
I can't...
Why not?!
The store...
What?
I need to watch over the store...
...! Raven!

She fainted...Let me take her to bed.

Man, she's so stubborn.

Ah, I guess I should check the prices of everything on sale. Let's see... Here's a list of the prices.

This might actually be hard to remember if I wasn't screenshotting everything. :v:

Got it! Okay, let's go!

Traveler: Let's see...do you have a Cheap Bracelet?
I-Indeed we do! Just one moment, please!...Here you go! That'll be...

Not getting the money for it, no interest in overcharging.

Traveler: All right, here's the money.
Thank you very much! Please come again!.......Whew... I guess I did that right...

O-okay!
Traveler: Hey, kid! Hurry up! I ain't got all day!
S-Sorry!

Sadly there's no option to overcharge the rear end in a top hat.

Traveler:Thanks, kid! You look like a hard worker! I'll be back soon!
Th-Thank you very much! (Wow. Raven must not be much of a salesperson...)

Huh? What are you doing here...?
Oh, well, you see, I...
Uh...Never mind...
What?
I'm kinda in a rush. (And I don't really care...)
I...I see.
Ah, there's my order. I've already paid.
Oh, you paid in advance...?
Yep. See you...
There she goes...Maybe I should have taken Raven to the apothecary. I guess she wouldn't have listened to me anyway, though...

Reminder that I am, in fact, cutting out about half the ellipses in the text.

Gaius. :allears:

N-No, it's actually ME, Gaius!
Yeah, I figured.
So, where's Raven, then?
She got a cold, so she's sleeping upstairs.
I see.
(Huh...Gaius doesn't seem too worried about Raven.)

Raven?!

I'm fine...
You're bright red, Raven.
I'm...fine... I'll do it...
Raven, no!
It's my job...
But...Gaius, help me out! Huh?

What are you doing, Gaius?
Closing the store.
What?
There we go. All closed. Let's go to the apothecary now.
But...
The store's closed, so there's no work to do. I'll go on ahead.
Let's go to the apothecary, Raven.

Use your words. You can do it.

Um...
What is it, Raven?
...Never mind...

*sigh*...Raven's so stubborn. But it looks like it worked out in the end.

Yes, we get booted out before we can collect the reward. Good thing it doesn't despawn. But since Pia's standing right there...

I don't like the rain!
You hate the rain?
I don't like the rain! I can't stand the rain rain rain!
Huh? You're just singing?!

Ooo. Silver is a tier above the bronze we got earlier, which is neat but also means we won't be using it for a while. (nevermind that we haven't even unlocked the forge yet)

Raven is up and healthy again, so let's talk to her! Who knew the apothecary invented the cure for the common cold?

When I looked outside to see what it was...
...!
Huh? What's the matter?
...Nothing...

And now to make the rounds.

But Carlos is probably going to get married some day...

I regret this decision.

In RF3, you waste the recipe bread if your skill is too low to learn anything new. Because that's good game design and not just frustrating.

Fishing contest coming up soon. Maybe I should actually train my fishing skill.

After this request, of course.

And this cologne.

Iron?!
Yes. I made this one for Gaius, but thought you'd like to try it.

Gaius & Raven like this scent. I'm just as surprised as you are.

Monica told me she wants a Cheap Bracelet. I'd buy it at the blacksmith's, but I don't want Shara finding out. She already says I spoil Monica. So I was hoping you could get one for me.
I see...
Can you do it?
Sure, no problem.
Excellent. Thank you.

Oh, that's boring.

>No.

Love is nice, isn't it?!

Sorry, no wooing Gaius. :(

I would never, EVER deign to wear Evelyn's designs, even if they were the last garments on earth! And when I told Evelyn how I truly felt, she ran out of the house, sobbing! Was it something I said?
I think that's a safe bet.

OK, I can understand Link having some weirdness with whether or not he gets the oppositespeak, since it's earlygame and who knows what the player's seen. But Evelyn's related to these people. She's the one that explained this poo poo last update! Why is she misunderstanding it?!

Pictured: The wrong way to get the bracelet to Monica. (Although it's a loved gift, so at least you get some good out of it)

The right way is giving it to Wells. I guess buying it himself isn't secret enough, but giving it to her himself is fine?

Hm, not bad. Sorry to ask you to do this, Link.
Hey, no problem.
Here, take some Chocolate Cake for your trouble.
Are you sure?
I actually don't like chocolate cake very much. So you're doing me another favor by taking it.
That's something I can always help you out with! I hope Monica likes the bracelet.
She'll be so excited when she sees it.

Why did Wells just have a slice of cake to give out? Don't ask, just eat.

Next!

Do I ever! I need you to bring me Squid!
Uh...I don't think squid and bathwater mix, Pia.
Says who?!
Says me! I've never heard of anyone bathing with squid!
That's what YOU think, dude! Just wait till you bring back the squid! You don't know what you're missin'!
I, uh...can't wait.
You don't hafta tell me! Who COULD wait for a squid bath?!

Squid are spring catches and found all over the loving place, so let's get to it.

That doesn't mean you'll catch one quickly, mind you.

Collette just...falls over, sometimes. Don't ask.

Is anyone else invited to the party?
Of course! But the food's all MINE!

Dammit, I don't have all day here. Let's try switching up the location.

Outside the inn is actually a decent place to fish, since the fish are densely packed enough that it goes faster.

Reminder that this game is rated E for Everyone.

Uh...those are words I never thought I'd hear. But thanks!
Bad news, though!
What's the matter?
I just remembered something Sakuya told me! I told her I wanted to put squid ink in the baths, but she said it'd just stain people's skin!
Well...duh!
I guess the world just isn't ready for my genius quite yet! But it's all good! I'll just gnaw on this Squid for din-din tonight!
Huh? Oh, that's right. You like to eat squid, don't you?
Yes! This one time, I heard a story called "The Squid and the Tuna." The tuna was just swimming along, minding its own business, when--KA-BLAAAM! A giant squid CHOMPED it down! So you see, squids are evil. I will eat them. I will eat them ALL.
I...see. Good luck with that.
Well, I'll take my revenge later tonight! Here's a token of my appreciation! And I hope you bring more squids to me. I will exterminate their evil, one by one.

Godspeed, Pia. I don't even want to know where you got an egg the size of Link.

But they're the perfect.form of BATH transportation!
Uh, do you even need to.navigate your way around a bath...?

So, we haven't actually seen Pia in the rain yet, so Link has no reason to know she turns into a mermaid when wet. Dialogue consistency. :argh:

I'm spoiling this now because I've had the worst damned luck with actually catching her in the rain, and there's no reason for this to remain a semi-mystery for this long.

Then the Sharance Tree--
No.

>I don't know.

Heh...It seems my art is beyond your comprehension.

Yes. Totally.

Hey look, I made it to bed without fainting for once!

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 22, 2018

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This game has more dialogue flagging problems than I remember.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Oh yeah, I forgot about just how much Ellipsis Abuse this game gets into. Especially early on. Raven is the worst about it until you get her heart level about... I think 4 is when she brings it down to the level the rest of the game is at.
She is still the best girl, if only because she doesn't outright terrify me with her quirk. I am worried that if Daria manages to get into the Sharence tree that it will end up looking like a rainbow vomited all over everything.

And yeah, that bit about the Squid and the Tuna from Pia is funny.

I find that a lot of the early quests are all about letting you know some of the most basic items characters like and don't like though. At least it is better then the "Hunt x amount of monster" quests that pop up occasionally.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Haifisch posted:

Yes! This one time, I heard a story called "The Squid and the Tuna." The tuna was just swimming along, minding its own business, when--KA-BLAAAM! A giant squid CHOMPED it down! So you see, squids are evil. I will eat them. I will eat them ALL.
I...see. Good luck.with that.
Well, I'll take my revenge later tonight! Here's a token of my appreciation! And I hope you bring more squids to me. I will exterminate their evil, one by one.
Pia :allears:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I like how everyone's preferred method of thanking Link is by putting one or two things in a treasure chest and just hurling that poo poo at his feet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Link should join Pia in her holy crusade against the squidian evil fyi.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Link should join Pia in her holy crusade against the squidian evil fyi.

Totally. The common squid is basically bycatch: sells for poo poo but is an excellent RP restorative when cooked.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Just got through the backlog. I sorta figured Fia was probably a mermaid, but part of me half expected her to turn into the water itself with the way she asked if you were a bath and how she was a bath, but I guess that's regular crazy.

I kinda wonder how Sasha is making that cologne. Once you've gotten to fish and iron, I feel you've entered a whole different setup from distilling and mixing flower oil.

Also, you've got a bold tag issue on the Tutorial Quests R Us update: [/b]don't[/b]

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zagglezig posted:

Just got through the backlog. I sorta figured Fia was probably a mermaid, but part of me half expected her to turn into the water itself with the way she asked if you were a bath and how she was a bath, but I guess that's regular crazy.

I kinda wonder how Sasha is making that cologne. Once you've gotten to fish and iron, I feel you've entered a whole different setup from distilling and mixing flower oil.

Also, you've got a bold tag issue on the Tutorial Quests R Us update: [/b]don't[/b]
Yeah, I half assumed Pia was some sort of water elemental/spirit from that bit of dialogue. I guess the ear-fin-things are supposed to tip you off, though, or maybe it's not supposed to take so long for you to have a rainy day. Basing something with even a slight amount of plot-relevance like this off of random chance smacks of poor game design to me, and allowing the player to "sequence break" like this by random chance seems a bit clumsy. Maybe mandate a rainy day after she gets to one heart and then have a cutscene for the reveal?

Well, I mean there's probably some oils you could extract from a fish to make fish perfume/cologne. People actually using the cologne seems fishy to me, but it could exist, and probably has at some point.

You got me on iron, though. Does iron even have a scent?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It is perhaps possible that the perfume called Iron does not literally smell like iron and instead smells like something which may evoke a forge.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well that's just deceptive naming, then. Call it "Scents of the Forge", not "Iron".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so these guys have a bunch of buried gods to mine bronze from their bones too?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The Golden Fleece

Music: Town (Day)

Wake up, water plants, enter a competition of some sort against Collette, blah blah.

And get reminded about tomorrow's festival. Thankfully, there are no inhumanly-good-at-fishing jerk villagers in RF3.

I didn't forget I was going to show all of these off. I just temporarily didn't remember.

Wait, what?!

There's also a free squid in the bath. Obviously Sakuya's doing.

I donate the squid to the Pia foundation, and get a not-so-subtle hint that she likes fruits too.

I'm sick of mass-producing pickled turnips, so it's time to buy the rest of the basic cooking gear. The knife is for mass-producing sashimi from fish. The frying pan fries things. The mixer makes a variety of drinks, and also butter & cheese for some reason.

Buying all the basic appliances unlocks the advanced ones, but...

...they're expensive as gently caress. Oh well, they can wait.

You got a geranium in your cranium, buddy? Who said anything about an eating contest?!
What? It's not an eating contest?
DUH! What, you think I just eat ALL THE TIME or something? You don't pay too much attention, do you? We're gonna have a cooking battle! Using all our senses, skills, and creativity, we'll tackle the secret ingredient of the day!
Ah, sorry. I mean, I just assumed that because it was YOU, that--
Don't you DARE make a prejudiced comment against my metabolism! It holds grudges, you know!
I'll keep that in mind! So, what are we making, then?
We unveil the ingredient! Today's theme is...Rice Ball!
Rice Ball...
I want to see artistic creations never seen before! You show me what you've cooked...and I'll tell you how you did!
Wait, don't tell me you're going to be cooking AND judging?!
Of course! I'm the Chairwoman of this cooking field of battle! I can't just ignore a responsibility like that!
Uh, who exactly elected you "Chairwoman"? But sure, I'll bring my dish when it's ready!

On my way to buy some rice for those rice balls, I make a pit stop at the flower shop.

This is one contest where it's worth hearing the rules the day before, because there's a time limit involved! If you're serious about winning, you'll start as soon as possible and talk to Wells as close to 6PM as possible.

And now it's cologne time.

How do sparkles smell?
I'm not sure. Monica named this one.

Sakuya, Monica, and Karina like this one.

Is there a festival tomorrow? Possibly about fishing?

Aside from the rice ball, I make a bunch of Bamboo Rices to grind Cooking skill. Bamboo Rice is the big use for all that spring bamboo.

I make some failed dishes and a Super Fail(like a failed dish, only even worse somehow) along the way. Believe or not, these have a use!

What could be more useful?! This is the absolute worst! I really hate these! I'd like to have some more sometime.

Super Fails are one of Sofia's loved items(the other, Rare Can, is a pain to get). Failed Dishes are one of her liked items, along with garbage nobody else wants like Weeds and Scrap Metal.

Oh, it's beautiful.
So, I assume your dish is ready as well?
Oh, uh...Yeah, of course! I've been slaving away, crafting artistic dishes never tasted before! But we'll get to yours first!
I think you should go ahead. It sounds like you worked really hard on it!
Nope! The challenger goes first! Chairwoman's orders!
Okay, go ahead and try it, then!
*SCARF SCARF* What are these...flavors? These...smells? I've never tasted anything like it! My fantasy has become reality! You are truly a culinary artist worthy of being in anybody's hall of fame!
Wow, you really thought it was that good? So, are you gonna show me your dish?
Yeah, well, yours was so good, there's no point in tasting mine! The verdict's in! I lost! The Chairwoman has spoken!
No point? Shouldn't you at least show me what you made?
No, it's cool! I lost! You gain the people's ovation and fame forever! Oh, and this!
Uh, thanks!
Well, I gotta run, but I'll get in touch when I need to use-- Er, I mean, SPEAK to you again! (Whew...)
(Heh heh. He'll never know I was just tricking him into cooking for me! Sorry, Link, but a girl's gotta eat!)

It was a single rice ball. It would have been less effort to go make one yourself. Sheesh.

Ooo. Strawberries are our first regrowing crop - once they reach maturity, they produce more fruit every 2 days after harvest. It's a bit late in the season to plant them in our main field, but that's what dungeon fields are for. Privera Forest is always spring, making it an ideal spot for these seeds.

Might as well stick to a theme today.

Please don't bring me an ingredient for either Fried Blowfish, Chocolate Cookie, or Dried Sardines.
Just one?
Yes. You don't have to only bring me one. Also, it shouldn't satisfy my hunger.
...?
Then, bad luck!

Go to general store, buy chocolate, go back. Hazel's making out like a bandit today.

Ummm...
Huh? Was this not right?
No! You pass, Link! You can't be promoted to chef-in-training!
Umm...
Oh, I almost forgot. This isn't your reward for today.

Always indulge the whims of the gluttonous rich. :toot:

Thank you.
Next time, you won't be in charge of cooking!
Umm...I-I'll do my best.
I'm not expecting much!
Ha ha...Ah...

Sherman fact: His Japanese name is Donchacos Jalapeño Viviaaju. To unsubscribe from Sherman Facts, text STOP.

You know, I can't help but think I'm forgetting something.

Oh right, this farming/social interaction sim has an RPG in it. With bosses. Well, that little thing doesn't look too dangerous.

Oh.

Boss Music

The Raccoon has a few tricks up its sleeve. The first is this ground pounding attack. It'll jump in the air, and damage you if you're caught in the shockwave when it lands. It can also stand in place and stop, releasing a smaller shockwave with each foot. That's a good chance to hit it, and part of the reason I switched to the spear - the hammer is just too slow for this fight.

It also shoots out leaves that fly around in an arc.

In Rune Factory Tradition, it turns red when you damage it enough, ramping up its attack speed and changing its attack pattern slightly.

It gains this illusion move. You can damage the real one if you hit it, but you'll mostly want to stand in the center in case it goes directly to the stomping attack.

It's not a hard boss at all as long as you're using a decently fast weapon & remembered to buy armor before taking it on. Bring a Recovery Potion or two just in case.

I got lucky and had it drop its crafting item. The int-6 would be a problem if I was casting spells, but I'm not.

It looks strangely familiar. I feel like I should touch it.

Touching random mystical orbs never goes wrong, right?

See? We didn't die. This time.

But we got sent to Flashback Hell, which is almost as bad.

Past-Link: Okay, Dad! ...wow! It worked! Mom! Mom! Take a look at this!

And this spell lets me transform!

This might be shocking if our monster form wasn't on the cover art. And if we didn't start with a mysterious Transform spell whose description said it turned us into a Wooly.

Insert magical girl transformation music of your choice here.

Let's see....Once I've knocked down an enemy, I can press A to pick it up. Then I can perform a special.throwing attack by pressing A, B, X, or Y. Each button is a different throwing attack. If I aim right, I should even be able to hit other monsters with my throwing attacks.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Link is a wrestlesheep.

I probably shouldn't let anyone in town know that I can turn into a monster. They might think it's weird. I'll keep it to myself for now. Hmm...Touching that orb brought back some of my memories. But so much of my past is still blank. Maybe I can find more orbs like that one.

Hey, that new guy's not a faceless NPC! After him!

Whoever that is, they're headed into Sol Terrano Desert.

Wells? What are you doing here?
You weren't thinking of going into that desert, were you?
Yeah, I thought I saw...
Well, don't even think about it! There's nothing but monsters in there!
Huh? But there are monsters EVERYWHERE. What makes this place any different?

That was strange.

Rebelling against authority is a very good reason in my books.

So is advancing the plot.

Wrestlesheep mode is ideal for getting through here quickly. You attack fast, you hit hard, you get better at wrestling, and you get to dropkick things. What's not to love?

That'll do, sheep. That'll do.

Keep following the tracks in the sand, and...

"C-Comrade"?
Oh, don't worry. It simply means we're cohorts-in-arms! Proud patriots! I'm Kuruna, the proud elder of Univir Settlement. My duty is to defend this land with my blood. What's yours, comrade?
Um, I'm Link. My duty is to, uh, travel! I guess. I never knew there was a settlement here...
My proud, advanced ancestors built this settlement, an oasis against savage aggression. We univir and other monsters who hate the Hornless have all gathered together here.
Are humans really deserving of all that hatred...?
Hornless are to be NOTHING but hated, comrade.
I don't know...
Well, you must have your reasons. An elder should not be so insensitive.
Well, if you say so.
I can see it in your eyes, comrade. You yearn to join us! Know that you are welcome here...always.

We've found a settlement of communist desert monsters. Great!

Kuruna gets an entry in the villager affection list, so she's here as more than a walking plot point. In fact, she's actually one of the bachelorettes.

Isn't it? Perhaps you should move here.
I appreciate the offer, but I'm fine.
Honestly...The humans out there are so dangerous.
Do you really hate humans that much?
Of course. Do you know the town that is nearby?
Oh, yes. What about it?
The people there ran us univir out of their town!
Really?!
Yes, univir and humans used to live together.
Did something happen?
I am not sure.
I don't know the reason. It was before I was born. But we were exiled, and now we live here. They are all savages! So you should be careful not to wander too much outside. The humans might do something to you.
(She really hates them. I wonder what happened. Maybe Wells knows something.)

Sounds like a plot pointer if I've ever heard one. But Kuruna's not the only one here, so let's check this place out.

Ah, I see. I'm Ondorus. Welcome to our settlement, Link.
I never expected to find a camp of monsters living together like this.
Not all monsters behave like mindless, rampaging beasts, you know. Some of us can be quite civilized. We univir are actually quite similar to humans, you know. How do you feel about humans?
I think some of them are actually pretty nice.
I am glad. Monsters and humans should keep an open mind about each other. Oh, but don't tell the elder that I said that. She does not like humans.
Yeah, I noticed. She isn't shy about letting people know.
Well, it's good to meet you. I hope I'll be seeing more of you around here.

What a nerd.

I'm Link.
I'm Zaid! Check out my beautiful silver eyes! Amazing, right?
Um, yeah. I guess.
They're unique to my tribe. No other dwarves have our gleaming silver eyes!
Wait, you're a dwarf?!
Sure I am! What's surprising about that?
Um...Aren't dwarves usually short and hairy with big, braided beards?
What?! That's just an old stereotype! Most dwarves are normal height, and prefer not to have ridiculous facial hair.
Oh. I stand corrected. A-Anyway, it's nice to meet you, Zaid.
Good to meet you too. Just don't forget what you learned about dwarves today!

Zaid: Not actually as cool as the other dwarf in this game.

There's a mysterious stone wall blocking the way to the north...

...and a request owl. God help me when I start having to fit three requests a day into these updates. I'll probably limit it to two most days, just to keep update length under control.

That's all there is to see here, so let's head back home.

If you go back to the first update & compare, it really did grow!

Isn't it past your bedtime?

Have you been feeding the Sharance.Tree a special fertilizer or something?
No, I didn't do anything.
What could have caused this, then?
Um, Wells. Did you know about the univir's camp?
Yes.
Is that why you told me not to go into the desert?
Yes. I didn't want you to run into that camp of human-hating monsters. I'll bet their elder kicked you out the second she laid eyes on you.
Huh? Oh, yeah! S-She sure did. Because I looked totally human, of course.
I thought so.
Though the elder did say something about how the univir lived in this town until they were chased out. Do you know anything about that?
All I know is that happened a long, long time ago. There aren't any records of what happened or why.
I see...
Link.
Yes?
Don't do anything foolish.
What?
We're better off without the univir.
But...
Humans and monsters were never meant to live together. It's just not natural.

But why do they hate each other so much? Maybe I should go talk to Kuruna again.

Two sets of people who hate each other but have long forgotten why? It's a cliche, Link, just roll with it.

A staircase...the tree...grew a new room? I should take a look.

:frogout:

Link! This is amazing! The Sharance Tree grew a 2nd floor!
Weird, isn't it?
It's amazing! I've always known the Sharance Tree was special, but I had no idea it could do something like this.
Yeah.
But it's a nice room, isn't it?
Yeah. I just hope it doesn't disappear as fast as it appeared!
I'm sure this room is here to stay. Why don't you make it your work area?
Work area?
Sure! You need a place where you can craft things, right?
That would be pretty handy.
You should be able to fit a forge up here. Also a pharmacy and a workshop! Ask around at shops and they should be able to sell you what you need to get started.
Gotcha. I'll go visit them later.
Great! This room gives you so many exciting new possibilities!
Yeah! I can't wait to try crafting something!
Glad to hear it! I can't wait to see what you make! Oops! And sorry to barge in on you like this. I got so excited about the Sharance Tree growing, I had to come in and see. I hope you don't mind.

Yes, we can finally craft things! The pharmacy lets you make medicines & fertilizers, the forge lets you make weapons, and the workshop lets you make accessories & armor. The forge and workshop are both pretty critical to keeping up with the power curve, so they're higher priorities.

But for now, Link rests.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 22, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Haifisch posted:

What are you talking about? I didn't accidentally call Link by the wrong name. You're imagining things. :ninja:

Oh, clearly I was incorrect. My eyes must've been playing tricks on me!

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 12, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
What are you talking about? I didn't accidentally call Link by the wrong name. You're imagining things. :ninja:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, at least someone besides the protagonist seems to have his head screwed on right regarding interspecies relations.

Took me a bit to remember who the other dwarf in this game was. I feel stupid.

Rune Factory 4's Dylas can go straight to hell. He's not a good character, and he screws the player out of content by his mere existence, even if that content is just "win the fishing contests." As I mentioned over in ThornBrain's thread, I'm not entirely convinced that he doesn't cheat by fishing with lightning bolts rather than fishing rods (or at least electrify his rod).

Are you varying your weapons much offscreen, or are you exclusively using the spear? After all, there's more than one size of sword, and LoZ Link's known for using shields too, along with pretty much everything else (even if shields in the Zelda series have been only situationally useful for years now due to requiring a separate button just to use them as anything more than a decoration... but then everything else has been nerfed to hell there, too, to the point where, to the best of my knowledge, the only game released within the last decade where items other than the bow, bombs, and sword are usable longer than just one dungeon and a "final review area" is Link Between Worlds).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CptWedgie posted:

Are you varying your weapons much offscreen, or are you exclusively using the spear? After all, there's more than one size of sword, and LoZ Link's known for using shields too, along with pretty much everything else (even if shields in the Zelda series have been only situationally useful for years now due to requiring a separate button just to use them as anything more than a decoration... but then everything else has been nerfed to hell there, too, to the point where, to the best of my knowledge, the only game released within the last decade where items other than the bow, bombs, and sword are usable longer than just one dungeon and a "final review area" is Link Between Worlds).
What you're seeing is what I've been using. Don't worry, I'll switch up the weapons over time. But there's a lot of different types to show off, and I figured it was important to get past the first boss before going too nuts.

I'll admit I have a soft spot for the spear for how good it is in RF4, though. :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I love all of RF3's pop culture references so much.

Speaking of (and speaking of spears) are you gonna do any showing off of weapons themselves?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Surprised they didn't acknowledge that you've already met a dwarf at this point and were not shocked that he wasn't stereotypical.

I was thinking the monster form description sounded more like a judo sheep, but then you got a running flip tackle, so wrestle sheep it is. What sort of flip is it anyway? Are you cannonballing into the enemy or flipping over them and like throwing them over you with the momentum?

Oh dear, we seem to have a wall between races, or at least the two town heads. How will we possibly tear it down.
This does make me wonder more about Pia, though. I guess we'll find out when we get to it, but is her thing a secret? Are mermaids considered monsters? This seems like discovering her in finny form would be a good intended plot beat event at this point (an unexpected rain shower during a trip or she falls/dives into a fishing spot), having found your own form and learning that Wells wouldn't appreciate it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zagglezig posted:

Surprised they didn't acknowledge that you've already met a dwarf at this point and were not shocked that he wasn't stereotypical.

To be fair, his blacksmithing obsession is a dwarf stereotype.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That Link is explicitly half-human and half-monster makes it super obvious where the main plot is going to go from here.

...But good Lord does that have some weird-rear end implications, especially when you realise that his monster half is a sheep.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Link posted:

Hmm...Touching that orb brought back some of my memories. But so much of my past is still blank. Maybe I can find more orbs like that one.
Oh, does Micah/"Link" actually regain his memory in this game? IIRC, most Rune Factory protagonists defy the amnesia trope by never regaining their memory and only having their pasts hinted at. If he does, he'd be defying the usual Rune Factory plot design by embracing the trope... @_@

Link posted:

Huh? Oh, yeah! S-She sure did. Because I looked totally human, of course.
Smooth, Link. Nobody will think you're a transforming wrestlesheep now.

Shara posted:

You should be able to fit a forge up here.
I'm not sure it's wise to stick a burning furnace in a treehouse. There's a reason almost all forges and smelters were made completely from stone. But I suppose you do you, Rune Factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Haifisch posted:

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Link is a wrestlesheep.
You have my attention.

• Locked thread