Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Oh man I love the Rune Factory series! RF4 is in my top 10 list of favorite games! Too bad the company folded after it was released :smith: I know Stardew Valley exists, but I actually really like the action-RPG parts of the games and it didn't quite scratch that? The forging shenanigans in RF4 were pretty great.

But yeah for this game. Ho boy, the characters are definitely something. It's nice they went all out to define the like 10 plus characters and give them all their own quests and storylines but man I am personally glad they decided to dial it back a notch for RF4 .hint hint Fire Emblem I remember being pleasantly surprised by Raven, though I think I went for Sakuya since I felt her :10bux: gimmick fit with the whole farm business/making insane amounts of money.

Speaking of which, I am fully expecting you to never have any money issues at all after like the first month since it is ridiculously easy to get a few thousand from just "cooking" turnips, the most basic crop, with your hands. Each pickled turnip is 480 g which adds up ridiculously quickly with how many crops an average harvest is AND its really easy to go straight from level 1 to max level seeds in this game. And once you can get the other cooking implements, money--especially from fish--just skyrockets exponentially. Having ALL THE MONEY also helps with combat since the magic store's list of spells is randomized and you can get access to like endgame spells in your first week and afford them then thanks to :10bux: TO go back to RF4 i definitely feel that game had a much saner money and seed level and general progress curve

Also buying cooking oil in bulk, making fire spells your ultimate weapon. Whoo boy, thats the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Failed dishes and super fails are strangely useful, if you realize their potential. Namely that throwing them causes enemies to eat them, doing percentile damage. Suddenly mass producing them is a good idea, but how do you do that when they come about by failing at cooking and your cooking skill rises every time? Shove junk metal or other inedible thing in your choice of appliance, that's how.

The fact that enemies eat literally anything you throw at them also has a neat, extremely powerful effect, which can make any boss a joke with a tiny investment, but we may see that later.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
There is at least one magic spell well worth getting. Explosion, the highest level fire spell. Throw cooking oil at a monster and this spell can two shot them, no matter what it is (except maybe the last boss? it works on other bosses). Combine with a certain exploit and you can get lots of useful and rare stuff easily.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Glazius posted:

So Sofia's trying to learn how to lie but she's just really bad at it?

When Sofia was younger she upset her sister by insulting her fashion sense, then tried to play it off as being just like dear old dad and his opposite speak. She has been holding up that charade ever since.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Leraika posted:

I seem to recall that there was some way you could use the Wi-fi version of the dungeon without actually being connected to the internet back in the day - maybe still? I'd have to pick up the game again to see, though.

Local wifi connection, IIRC. Causes you to have a full bar of health and RP when you go in no matter what, treats defeats as nothing, and you get to keep the spoils with not time passed. You also get the ability o play as just about every townsfolk with your stat line, each having different skills to make up for the lack of transformation, like Raven gets fire immunity, and Sofia can eat failed dishes for actual recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

I've fallen victim to the 'can't post long posts' curse, so click the lovingly generated text gif above for the update(which will be edited into this post once the curse is lifted).

....Pia entered a squid in that contest. And got second place. Apparently everyone else is even more terrible at gardening than we thought.

• Locked thread