Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

What's a Rune Factory?
It's a spinoff of Harvest Moon, but it added combat before Stardew Valley made Harvest Moon+Combat cool. The tl;dr for people who don't recognize any of those games is "you farm, you fight things, you date an anime girl or five". Rune Factory adds "saving the world with your amnesiac protagonist at some point" to the list.

So what's this one about?
Rune Factory 3 is the third game in the main Rune Factory series, the last one on the DS, and the first one that's actually pretty fun to play. It and RF4 are the ones I'd recommend playing if you're curious about the series but enjoy things like "quality of life improvements" and "game mechanics that aren't poo poo."

RF3 is notable for taking RF's typical insane villagers and dialing it up to 11. Yes, even worse than the ones in RF4. You've been warned.

Do I need to know the story of past RFs to understand what's going on?
Nope! That said, there's an LP of RF1 here for those curious to see how much better the RF series got since its inception. I don't think there's ever been an LP of RF2(LordHippoman started one here!), but there are two LPs of RF4 as well.

Spoilers?
Tag them, please.

Voting?
Yes, we'll be doing the usual voting on names & bachelorettes when the time comes.

Update List:
Tutorials & Trees
Introductions, Part 1
Introductions, Part 2
Introductions, Part 3
Tutorial Quests R Us
Fishing Fun
Sharance's Mean Bean Machine
Inn Quests
Bath Census
Tea Delivery
Errand Boy
That's So Raven
The Golden Fleece
It's Not Easy Being Green
Stone Cold Sheep Austin
Baa Humbug
Sweet & Sour
A Link to the Past
A Walking Malpractice Suit
Summertime Madness
An Apple A Day
City Dreams
The Rose Prince
Your Bath Needs You
I'm Not Lion
Defrost
Ace Detective
Rainbow Tour
Something Fishy
Just Eat It
Flea Market
Lazy Summer Days
Omurice At Last
Love & Colds In The Air
Hit By A Plot Truck
Changing Hearts With Pretty Flowers
It's Fall Or Something
Speed Dating
Iron Chef Sharance
Just Eat It
Labyrinth
Bouquet Complete
Unity Festival
Vicious Lies
Happy Birthday to Link
The Densest Element Known To Mankind
Someone Even Dumber Than Link
Univir Errands
Bakery Quest
Mushroom Mushroom
Stating the Obvious
Insert Fall Pun Here
Getting Hitched
The Road To Ruins
Age of Aquaticus
Playing Cupid
Drifting Along
Pia Bomb
The End

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Tutorials & Trees

Intro video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5weD6fKOXSY
(The main character can turn into a sheep monster. I'm not considering this spoilers because the game makes no effort to hide it either.)

Let's get this show on the road.

It's raining.

Specifically, it's raining sheep.

What are you doing all the way out here in town...?
Oh no...it looks like you're hurt...don't worry...I'll take care of you...

Mystery girl drags mystery sheep inside, which doesn't escape the notice of this old guy.

Yes, it is.
What's it doing in my house?!
He's hurt! I need to help him!
Well, you coulda done that somewhere else! What'd you go drag it in here for?!
So I should've just left him outside in the rain? Anyway, I'll take care of him myself. I won't let him bother you.

And so he gets dragged upstairs, because she's apparently never heard of carrying.

There you go. You should be okay for the night.

The night passes, and one flash of light later...

Wait! Where the heck am I?!

Hmm? Who's that?

I don't usually see you around here by the tree.
Oh! Hello there! I don't believe we've met. What's your name?
Huh? My name...? ...
Is something wrong?
Yes...I can't remember my name.
You can't remember your name? Why not?
I...I can't remember who I am...my name...where I'm from...
Do you mean you have amnesia?!

The game tends to put sweatdrops/anger marks/question marks/etc over the sprites to get away with a smaller number of facial expressions add context. It's usually not a big thing.

Oh no! What should we do?! Wait! I've got an idea! Raven, could I ask you for a favor?
A favor...?
Yes. I'll explain in a bit.

How about...

Micah is the default name. We'll stick with that for now, since there's one other thing to name coming up semi-soon.

Oh! What an intrepid name!

I don't think you know what that word means.

Intrepid...I...I don't know about that...
Now, Raven, about that favor. Could you take Micah to the Sharance Tree?
What? Me?
Yes, you. Could you do that as a favor to me?
...okay...
Tee-hee...thank you very much, Raven. Well then, I'm going to go back to my house to see my grandfather. I'll come by to see you in a bit, Micah.
All right.

This way...
Um, I guess I should follow her...

: Wow, what a huge tree!

The top screen now has a map and some other info on it. Most of it is self-explanatory. The SP is just the season indicator for Spring. In the grand tradition of Harvest Moon-alikes, each season lasts a month, and each month is 30 days.

But enough about that, let's start exploring.

Spoilsport.

This is amazing! I can't believe it!

Yes. My work is done.
Why did you bring me here?
I was asked to. Now that I've done so, I'm leaving.
*pant pant* Sorry for making you wait, Micah!
Don't worry about it! I wasn't waiting long!

It's very...unique. I've never seen a house inside of a tree before.
Great! This is where you're going to be staying, so I'm glad you like it!
Yeah, since I'll be staying here, it's a...wait, what?! Staying here? What are you talking about?!
Oh? Didn't I say? You're going to be living here now, Micah!
Wait, when did we decide that?! I don't remember that conversation!

A pretty reasonable reaction to "yeah, I've unilaterally decided you're living here now". We don't know who this girl is, whether we can trust her, or what the mortgage payment is on this literal tree house.

Exactly! There's a lot of things you don't remember! You don't even know who you are, or what you're doing here!
Yeah, I guess you've got a point there...
Also, I think that there must be a reason you ended up in this town, Micah.
A reason?

I kind of doubt that.

A-anyway, are you sure I can really live here?
Of course! I even got permission from my grandpa!
Your grandpa?
Yes! My grandpa is the mayor of this town! So don't worry about it, and make yourself at home!
Thank you very much.
Oh, I'm Shara, by the way. And that's Raven over there. Let me welcome you to the town of Sharance.
Nice to meet you...
Nice to meet you too, Raven!

For the record, I'm cutting out at least half the ellipses the game is throwing at me. I'm leaving in most of Raven's because they fit her :spergin: dialogue.

Nah, let's not, I can do it in a tenth of the time you will. There's a chest we can shove items and tools in, a fridge we can shove edibles in, an empty space where we can install a kitchen counter to cook with, a diary we can save in, a bed we can sleep in, and a calendar to track festival dates & birthdays. (With Shara not-so-subtly telling us about her & Raven's birthdays, Spring 11th and Spring 29th respectively)

Let's go downstairs next.
Hm? What's downstairs?
You'll see.

Please, after you.

So are you guys importing all your food right now? Because it looks like your lazy asses haven't been farming at all.

Only under this tree, huh?
Yes! The fields are a little overgrown, but you can consider cleaning them up as part of your rent!
Uh, it looks like that's going to take a while...

See? This is why you don't trust random girls insisting you should move into a suspiciously empty tree house.

Thanks!
Both of those items should come in handy. Also, since we're here, why don't you try tilling the field some?
Sure.

Eek! It's a monster!
Get back, you two!

Shara! Do you have any weapons?

Please defeat that orc!
Leave it to me!

Orcs are not exactly strong enemies, even outside the tutorial. If I wasn't fumbling around with screenshots I wouldn't have taken much damage at all.

That was incredible!

Yeah, I feel bad too...but what's this "Forest of Beginnings" you're talking about?
Oh! Well, I've only read about it in books, so I don't know the full details, but it's supposed to be a world where only monsters live.
So when you defeat a monster, they return to the Forest of Beginnings?
Yes. The tools and weapons we use are imbued with magic. This magic allows us to send the monsters back to the Forest of Beginnings unharmed.

Except for the various body parts they drop for use in crafting recipes. But other than that, 100% unharmed!

Is that right?

Shara, go somewhere safe!
Okay!

These are all our weapon choices; I'll explain them as I show them off later. For now, I take the hammer.

That doesn't seem very safe. Unless you're trying to break Micah's legs.

You saw that already in one of the hoe screenshots. Spam B, attack faster, yadda yadda.

Again, not super hard other than me wasting time grabbing screenshots. In the future I'll just record video and take battle screenshots from that.

Micah. Thanks for the weapon! Who are you?
I'm Gaius. You're pretty strong.
Thanks!
Heh, you should thank Raven. She came to get me when she saw the monsters.
Oh, is that right? Thank you, Raven!
Um, did I do something wrong?
Don't worry about it. That's just the way Raven is. Anyway, I'm going to head back to work. I work at the weapon shop in town. Feel free to stop by. See ya later, then.
Thank you very much, Gaius!

No, I'm fine.
Still, I can't believe those monsters attacked all of a sudden...
Does that happen a lot around here?
No...quite the opposite, in fact. The monsters around here are mostly gentle. But lately, I've heard rumors of violent monsters attacking people. Maybe there's a connection...

You think so?
Yes! I was surprised, actually! Those monsters looked pretty strong!

This decides whether we play normal or hard mode, although it can be changed later. I stick with normal for now.

Thank you very much.
Well, you're good with a weapon, but how about farm tools?

Mercifully, this is one tutorial we can skip. For those unfamiliar with Harvest Moon-alikes: Use hoe on soil. Plant seed in soil. Water seed until full grown crop emerges. Repeat to earn more money.

Seriously, it's fine, I can do this.

: Anyway, these are for you, Micah. Here are some seeds and money.

These are flower seeds. Tradition says you're supposed to give me turnip seeds. Are you even trying, Shara?

Thank you very much!
Open the pause menu to view the seeds you got. Just press Start to open the pause menu.
Press Start to open the pause menu! Got it! I'll try it later!
Oh! I almost forgot!
What?
I forgot to explain RP.
RP?
Yes, it's very important. On the Touch Screen, there are two bars, HP and RP, in the upper left corner.

I don't see anything there.
You just can't see them now! You'll be able to see them once we've finished talking!

When you use tools, you will use up RP. RP is your Rune Points, the energy of your body! If you run out of RP, then your HP will go down. HP is your Hit Points. When your HP runs out, you'll faint. Working hard is good, but don't work so hard that you pass out!
Got it!
Well then, let's choose a name for your farm now.
A name for the farm? You mean I get to name it?
Yes, of course. This is your home now, after all!
Okay, I'll name it...

Sharance is the default name, which coincidentally hits the character limit of 8. But we can do better than that! Probably.

:siren: It's voting time! :siren: Pick a name for our protagonist and our farm.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 22, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Dr. Fetus posted:

Managed to extract all the text from Rune Factory 3.

Haifisch, If you don't have your hands on a text dump already, it should make transcription a lot easier. (Though there's a lot of special characters in there for denoting stuff like colored text and the like, so that'll have to be changed yourself.)

Should go without saying that there are spoilers in there. So don't click on it if you haven't played the game. Though good luck trying to figure out what's what in there without proper context. :v:
Thanks! This isn't the most text-heavy game I've LPed, but typing everything yourself does get a bit old after a while. :v:

And here's the current vote tally while I'm here:
Link/Lon Lon 4
Defaults(Micah/Sharance) 3
Shaun/Shave 2
Cena/Lucha 1

Voting will end around midnight CST.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Link/Lon Lon 6
Defaults(Micah/Sharance) 4
Shaun/Shave 3
Cena/Lucha 1

I'm calling it here. Looks like we're Link of the Lon Lon Farm.

Glazius posted:

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but the whole "nope, no farms anywhere" thing, explicitly stated, is kind of weird. I mean... what do they eat?
Don't Think Too Hard About It is practically the Rune Factory motto.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Introductions, Part 1

Music: Spring

Link it is!

And what kind of Link would we be without a sword? Long Swords have high reach & relatively high damage, but attack slowly.

If you say so.

You think so?
Yes, I do! Anyway, please come by my house later, Link. I have more to tell you, but I need to set up my shop first.
Okay! I'll come see you later! Um, where is your house, by the way?
Well, if you go down from here, there will be three stores. The middle store is where I live, the flower shop. There are flowers all around it, so you should be able to tell which house is mine right away.
Okay!
By the way, I'm not being too overbearing, am I?

Yes, you are. Please go away and never talk to us again.

No! Of course not!
That's good to hear. Well, I'll be going then.
Okay! Thanks so much for everything!
It was my pleasure. Well, if you'll excuse me then.

Naturally, I'm going to avoid Shara as long as possible. This here is the shipping bin. Stuff gets tossed in it, money appears later.

Here's the inventory & status screen. Link's not much to look at now, but that'll change.

We start with two rune abilities. One is teleport, a convenience spell that instantly sends us back to a dungeon entrance, our home, or our room(depending on where we are when we cast it). The other is Transform, which does what it says here. The game is really, really not trying to hide the YOU CAN BECOME A SHEEP plot twist.

This is all that happens if we try to use it right now, though. We'll see it in action relatively soon.

This is the skill screen. There are skills for everything. We only have the walking skill right now, but as we do things we'll get skills for everything from farming to sleeping. Each skill raises a few stats, and skills directly applicable to an action tend to make you better at that action - combat skills increase damage and reduce RP consumption when you attack, cooking skill raises success rate in recipes, etc.

A listing of the various townspeople and their affection towards us. Each one has a blurb that I'll be listing along with their introduction. As for the ones we already have:

Raven: Likes to keep to herself, and doesn't interact much with other people. Has a warm side to her. Family: None.
Gaius: The town blacksmith. Loves forging weapons and items. A dwarf. Family: None.

Tilling, planting, and skilling happens.

I get a head start on clearing the field, and conveniently get actual vegetable seeds out of it. Pink Turnips are a basic spring crop - they grow quickly, but aren't worth a whole lot.

One handy feature of RF3 is the ability to stack like items as you pick them up. I get a couple more Pink Turnip seeds for my trouble.

Watering my plots may have been a waste of time - weather can change throughout the day, and it started raining. On the other hand, I got that sweet sweet xp for it, so I shouldn't complain too much.

Enough loving around. Let's explore the town.

Generic NPCs pop up & generally provide game mechanic tips or useless flavor text. They're also not what I'm out here for.

This interesting-looking place is directly to the right of the farm.

I warned you about the characters.

The bath's over there! C'mon in! The water's fine!
Whoa.

I'm really sorry about that. Here, come this way!
Wait, what?! Not you too!
Sakuya! Don't you DARE steal him! He's MINE!
What are you talking about? He clearly came to stay at my place!
*sob sob*
Oh, come on now, Pia...don't cry...hey, let's do this, then! He can stay at my place, and then he can take a bath later on! How does that sound?
That works!
Great!
Uh...don't I get a say in all this?

It's great that the two of you are so enthusiastic about your jobs, but you shouldn't put so much pressure on the customer like that.
Sorry for fighting over the customer.
Dang! And I'd concocted the perfect plan, too!
Sakuya...
Um, never mind. Forget I said anything.
I'm very sorry about that, sir. Let me take this time to formally welcome you to the Miyako Inn. We have fantastic food and a wonderful bath. Please, do not hesitate to use any of our facilities.
My bath's open from to 10AM to 10PM! I better see ya there later! 10AM to 10PM! Ya better not forget!
Oh, my daughter also sells some odd things at her shop. Please, take a look.
Hey! What do you mean, "odd things"?!
I sell things I find on my trips. The products change daily, so be sure to stop by every day!
Um, okay...I'll be sure to check it out.

Well that sure was a thing. Now, although we've gotten this cutscene, we have to talk to each of them again to be properly introduced. I'm getting this out of the way now instead of having to chase them down again later. And the game will make you chase them down later if you miss this step.

Oh, are you the guy who moved into the Sharance Tree?
That'd be me.
Ah, my intuition was right! My name's Sakuya. Nice to meet you!
I'm Link. Nice to meet you!
Anyway, that was so mean of Shara...
Huh? What was?
We could've had an extra customer if she'd had you stay here instead of in that tree.
I...I guess that's true.
Well, I'll just have to talk to Shara later.
Huh? Talk to her about what?
To make sure she recommends our inn from now on!
Ah...gotcha.
Well, I hope you stop by our inn soon! See you later!

Sakuya is the mandatory Vaguely Chinese Bachelorette. She's relatively sane, especially compared to Pia. Not that it's hard to be saner than Pia.

Word must get around fast! Yeah, my name's--
It doesn't matter what your name is! But I'm Pia! I own the fantabulous Paradise Bathhouse! It's strange though, isn't it? There aren't any dice anywhere!
I don't think it's a pair of---
Oh, never you mind that! Time to get you in the bath!
This second?!
Duh, this second! You look, uh, haggard or something!
It's okay. I'm doing fine, really!
Really? You sure you don't need even a TINY little scrubbing?
Yes. VERY sure.
Just you wait. You can't evade our scrubbings forever!
Uh, if you say so.

The bath recovers our HP and RP to full, so we'll probably end up here eventually. Unlike RF4, there's no separate Bathing skill to incentivize baths beyond that.

I know so! Oh, and I guess it does matter what your name is! After all, I'm gonna need to log your visit later!
Heh! I'm Link.
Gotcha! Nice to meet you, Link!
Nice to meet you too. And I'll let you know when I'm ready for a bath!

Pia's...Pia. I really have no better way to describe her.

Get your mind out of the gutter.

That's right.
My name is Shino. Shinonome, actually, but I go by Shino for short. It's nice to meet you.
Nice to meet you too. By the way, how did you know my name?
Oh, it's a small town. Word of a new resident spreads fast.
That makes sense.
I run the inn here in town. If you ever feel tired, please come by and have a rest.
Sounds good. I'll be sure to do that.
We'll be waiting!

Shino rules, but is sadly not datable.

Now that we're properly introduced, I can get regular conversations out of everyone here.

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions you have, Link. For example, how to use your weapon properly.
Uh...Wh-Why would you know anything about using weapons...?

Ah, that raccoon! He ripped up the tour guide plans I worked all night on! I was so close!

Raccoon problems? Hmm.

Man, I love fish SO much!

Link may not remember who he is, but he remembers how much he likes fish!

Mmm...Nothing beats fishsticks!
You sick freak! Fish aren't food!
Uh...what's the matter with fishsticks?

Uh...okay, let's pretend we just think fish are cute this time.

Just...don't question her, okay.

This diner is right next door to the bathhouse/inn.

Is the High Orc Rice made with high orc meat, or

Great, but I STILL don't think that'll be enough!
My compliments to the chef! This is truly an abomination!
That means a lot coming from you, Sherman. Enjoy your meal! Oh, and Collette? Might help to actually chew this time.
Oh, that's such a waste! But I'll try. Now gimme gimme gimme!

I heard that, Rusk! And it's like I keep telling you! It's called having a lightning-fast metabolism! I can't help it! I need to EAT!
(Hmph. I prefer quality over quantity.)

At least the food is good? Or an abomination? Maybe both? Let's talk to the chef and see what's going on here.

Wow! Word spreads fast. Yeah, I'm Link. Nice to meet you!
Heh. I got my ear to the ground in town. The name's Blaise. I'm the head chef here at Blaise's Diner. If you want some home cookin', you're always welcome here.
Good to hear! I'll definitely be stopping by later!
See ya around, kid!

Blaise is a pretty alright dude, although he has nothing interesting to say right now.

Uh, down? Down where?
Down in an eating contest, duh!
Uh...with you? You really think that's a good idea?
Don't look at me like that, buddy! It's called a fast metabolism!
Don't look at you how? I don't even know what you're talking about!
Liar! I see you giving me the evil eye! You're just jealous of my metabolism!
Uh, no, I can honestly say I've never been jealous of anyone's metab--
I can see it in your eyes! I can see it in everyone's eyes! They all want my metabolism! Well, I'm not sharing!
Uh, OK. I won't ask for your metabolism, then. You can feel secure with that knowledge.
Good! You better not look at my metabolism that way again, buddy! So, you a traveler or something, or are you new around here?
I just moved into that big tree. I'm Link!
I'm Collette. I'm usually here at Blaise's Diner working...or EATING!
Heh. Sounds like I should stop by here when I'm hungry, then!
Sounds good! Just don't think you can outeat me!
Heh. I won't even try, if that helps! ...Wow...Did she really finish off 10 more plates?!

Guys, I'm getting the impression she might like food.

I'm also getting the impression this raccoon is a plot point.

What?! Um...have we met somewhere before?.
Yes. I'm Sherman. What's your name?
Umm...Link.
Oh, Link. Well, starting today, we aren't acquaintances.
What?!
It's not nice to meet you, Link.
Um, m-me, too...?

Sherman is another once-a-game RF character, in this case, a member of the Sainte-Coquille family. They all look suspiciously similar. Sherman's gimmick will definitely not be annoying to deal with, and it never gets old.

Food, odious food! Clammy sausage and custard!
A catchy tune, yes? It is my magnum opus, young squire.

That's nice, Sherman. Let's go talk to a less crazy person.

Link. I just moved into the Sharance Tree. I hope we can be friends.
Oh, I see. I'm Rusk. It looks like we're around the same age. So let's keep it casual.
Alright, well, it's nice to meet you, Rusk.
Yeah, same here. I'm usually here at the diner, so come by to see me sometime.
Yeah, I'll do that.

Eat your loving vegetables, Rusk.

Eat. Your. Vegetables.

Next time: More villagers.

Let me know how you feel about the pace - future days will be less packed with stuff, but I don't want to overwhelm people right off the bat.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CptWedgie posted:

On a tangentially related note, how are you going to be choosing which bachelorette to pursue?
Thread voting, once we're far enough that I can expect people(who haven't already played this) to have opinions on them.

Although we'll be seeing quite a bit of each of them, thanks to the way the request system works.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

people posted:

characters
Yeah, I'll fully admit your enjoyment of the characters will depend on your anime tolerance. Mine is fairly high, so I don't mind most of them, eye-rolling gimmicks and all.

Delacroix posted:

It's a shame you can't date Shino or Gaius. :(
Another proud RF tradition! There has to be at least one character who's blatantly better than the bachelor(ettes), but can't be dated because Reasons.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Introductions, Part 2

Music: Town (Day)

Onward!

That was fast.

Your name is Link, right?
That's right.
My mom makes me work at our general store all the time. (She's such a pain.) Uh, you aren't planning to shop at our store very often, are you?
Well, uh...I think you sell a lot of things that I'm going to need.
*Sigh* (I guess I can't stop you.)
Well, uh, I'll see you around.

We'll get properly introduced later. For now, let's check out the blacksmith's shop. It's right next to the flower shop, which I'm still avoiding because gently caress Shara.

Were all of these weapons made here in the store?
Pretty much.
That's amazing. Do you make them too?
?
Do you want to buy something?
Huh?
This is a weapon shop, not a place for idle chat. If you're not going to buy something, then leave.
Oh...sorry.

Hey, is there anything you wanna buy?
Umm...
Doesn't matter to me, really. I'm happiest when I'm hard at work, striking my hammer by the heat of the forge. Please take your time, and make yourself at home!
What? But...
What...?
Oh, it's nothing.

What was your name again?
Link.
Oh, yeah, that's right. I'm Gaius. I think I mentioned it before, but I'm the owner of this weapon shop. I just make the weapons, though, and leave it to Raven to help sell them. Well, just give me a shout if you ever need a weapon!
Will do.
I just make weapons because I like to. I don't have any great ambitions of becoming a master smithy or anything like that.

Gaius is a cool dude.

Raven, a character in two screenshots.

...what do you want...?
Your name's Raven, right?
Yes.
Well, umm...uh...I just moved into town! My name's Link!
I know.
Oh...That's right, of course you do.

The legends were true! She has multiple expressions! Barely!

What?

...let's go back to the crazy people. At least they're interested in holding conversations.

There's one outside right now! And yes, this is the exact same gimmick Sherman had.

Uh, what? I've never seen.you in my life.
What's your name?
Oh, I'm Link. I just moved into the big tree. It's nice to meet you.
Your face utterly repulses me.
What's wrong with my face?!
You are most welcome. You may call me Sofia.
You've got a weird way of complimenting people.
Indeed. Now, I'm simply.FAR too busy for any visitors! So, be sure to stop by my place anytime!
Uh, didn't you just say you'd be too busy?
That's correct. I won't be waiting for you.
Um...okay.

Get back here, you have a second thing to say.

A raccoon invaded our abode, but it didn't vandalize any of my belongings. It seems the beast ate some of Father and Evelyn's least-cherised things, though.

Could we possibly have to stop this raccoon at some point? I mean, this is some incredibly subtle foreshadowing going on, but you never know.

That typo is 100% the game's fault.

This guy sells cooking bread, which lets us learn new recipes with the power of bread. Don't ask. Blaise also sells cooking bread, but...

A) We don't have the ability to cook yet, and B)We don't even have enough gold for one loaf of bread.

On the other side of the flower shop is the general store. Avoiding Shara has been working so far, might as well keep it up.

Oh, uh...okay.

What are you doing?! You're supposed to be working!
I AM working. Taking breaks is part of work.
You can't take a break when there are customers in the store!
Sheesh. What a slave driver.
Sorry about my lazy daughter. If you ever find her asleep at the counter, go ahead and wake her up.
Ha ha...
Hey, you're the newcomer who moved in to the Sharance Tree, right?
Yep.
We should explain the shipping system to you, then. Why don't you step up to the counter? Karina won't bite.

What?! But there's so much to... (What a pain...) Actually, I think you'd do a much better job explaining it, Mom.
Ha! You're just too lazy to do it!
Hey, I'm just thinking about what's best for our customers.
Oh, really? Well, since you're so concerned about our new customer, I'll put you in charge of shipping for his farm.
What?!
I know you'll love that!

Well I've got to get some orders ready, so Karina will tell you all about shipping.
Okay.
Karina! No sleeping on the job!
Fine... (She's so bossy.)
See you later.
Well, I guess you're stuck with me for the explanation. I'll try my best, but no promises. (This is such a drag...)
Thank you.
Umm...Toss your crops into the shipping bin and we'll come pick 'em up. (Lighter crops are better.) We'll pick them up around 5PM. (Or whenever we feel like it.) Then you'll automatically get paid for them. We'll pick them up every single day. (I don't even get weekends off. *Sigh*) I guess that covers it. (That was annoying.) Got it?
Uh...kinda...
So I guess I start today...*Sigh* Why does your field have to be so far away?
Uh, sorry about that. (But it doesn't seem so far to me.)
Yeah....(I just hope you don't ship too much.)

Karina is too lazy to hold a real conversation today. Hazel vanished before I could talk to her, so no blurb just yet.

Let's get this over with.

Wow. This is a pretty impressive flower shop.
Hee hee. Thank you! We sell flower seeds and some magic seeds too!
Magic seeds?
Yes. They're...

Ah!
Monica, stop it! Shara! Do something!
Monica...! Got you!

Not shown: The incredibly overdramatic music playing during all this.

That's my sister. She doesn't like strangers.
Boy, I'll say.
Be careful she doesn't bite you when you talk to her.
She...bites?
Well, anyway...This is one of the magic seeds I was talking about.

Just throw the seed on the ground, and it grows in an instant. It'll grow into a magical plant that will follow you like a pet and help you out. Different magic seeds will help you in different ways. The more powerful you are, the more powerful the magic seeds will become.
A plant pet? That sounds kind of cute.
Tee-hee. Do you really think so? I'll give you this, then.

Are you sure?!
Of course. There are lots of other kinds of magic seeds out there. Make lots of money and come and buy them all!
Okay!
Oh, by the way, did I tell you about the bulletin board yet?

Yes, totally. Go to board, accept quest, get rewards and dialogue. Can we go now?

Actually, I'm pretty sure I didn't. Maybe you're still having memory problems.
<:mad:>
Where's the bulletin board located?
It's in front of this house. Follow me.

tl;dr: Villagers post quests on the board. Link can accept one quest a day. Shara has a tutorial quest on the board already.

Well, since this is your first request, let's start with something easy. Why don't you go around to everyone's house and introduce yourself?
Oh, okay. So I just need to meet everyone?
That's right. You're new in town, so you should get to know your neighbors. Don't forget to see Daria. She lives in the house over by Privera Forest.
Okay!
Once you've talked to everyone, come back and talk to me again.
Gotcha!

So do what I was doing anyway. Got it. Let's head back inside and officially meet Monica.

I'm Link. Anyway, uh, I hope we can be friends.
Don't come near me! I'll bite you!
Ah!
Rarr!!! You're a weirdo stranger!
(This doesn't seem to be going well.)
I told you not to come near me! *CHOMP*!!
Owwww!
And you'd better stay away from my sister! I can bite lots harder than that!

Kids, amirite?

I track down Wells in front of the restaurant. The top screen shows you where the townspeople walking outside are, which is handy. It doesn't show you which people are indoors, but you can usually guess where they are once you know their routine.

Hmph. My name's Wells. I'm the mayor of this town. I hope you're happy with your new home.
Yeah, it's great. Thank you very much.

Wells has a bit to say about the Sharance Tree if we talk to him again.

It watches over the town like a tall and silent sentinel.
Yeah. I've never seen another tree like it.

Only a few villagers left now! I head towards the lake to get two of them.

I am devastated beyond words, brother! But it is time for me to make my own way! I must leave...to go fishing!
Be careful, my darling sister! Please come back alive! I could not bear to hear of your demise! *sob sob*
Oh, my dear brother... *sob sob sob* Oh, hey! It's a customer!

Hey there! Welcome to Carlos' Resort! Is this your first time here?
What? Oh, y-yes.
We raise fish and release them in the lake out back!
That's right! It's like taking a trip to an exotic tropical island!
It was my brother's idea! Isn't he great?!
Ha ha ha! You flatter me as always, Carmen! The cost is a bit high, but you can fish all day! If you're good at fishing, it's a great deal! Ha ha ha!

It's been a while since I last played RF3, but I don't remember using their fishing lake all that often. I was never big on fishing minigames, though.

You're awesome, Carlos! You always come up with so many great ideas!
So stop on by! Either me or my sister will be behind that counter there! Feel free to ask us anything!
Yeah! Stop by anytime! We'll be here waiting!

Is something in the water here? The jury's still out on that.

Fishing?
Yes, fishing!
Uh.....I guess I like it.
Really?! That's great! I just can't get enough, myself. The dance of the lure, the feel of the rod in my hands. And the moment the fish peaks its head out of the water!
Oh, sorry! I tend to get carried away when it comes to fishing!
You must like it a lot.
Heh heh, yeah! It's a little embarrassing sometimes! I'm Carmen. Who're you?
I'm Link.
Link? Nice to meet you! You can usually find me by the lake! Come by and see me any time!

Carmen's alright.

Link.
Link, eh? I'm Carlos! I run a fishing resort with my sister!
Really? That's pretty neat!
You're right! It's awesome! You got good taste, bro'! I think we're gonna get along great!
You think so...?
I KNOW so, bro'! By the way, have you met my sister? If not, you should introduce yourself! But no funny business, though! You got it?!
I... I got it.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know you, bro'!

What's with the extra apostrophes, bro'?

Next time: RAINBOW! (and the other remaining characters)

For what it's worth, despite RF3's characters leaning a bit too hard on the "aren't they just so wacky?!" angle, I'll take them over modern Harvest Moon's/Story of Seasons' bland as gently caress villagers. At least these guys are entertaining.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think I used magic seeds all of once in my past playthroughs, then forgot about them entirely. I'll try to show them off a bit more in the LP; maybe they'll surprise me and be really useful later on?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

people posted:

Tuna fishing
Noted. Although I don't remember money being a huge issue in this game, it's always nice to make it trivial at will.

MightyPretenders posted:

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options for guy love interests in this game. I think we've seen half of them, maybe more.
They could pull a Harvest Moon and add weird bachelors nobody really wanted to their It's A Female Version Now! remakes. Also add in the gay options that are probably half the reason Stardew Valley did so well.

(RF4 lets you pretend by portrait-switching later on, but it's just not the same. :sigh:)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Introductions, Part 3

Interesting sign they've got there.

So what hurts? Your head? Your chest? Someplace you can't tell me?
Uh...What?
I see...You're too sick to speak properly...

I don't think that's how shots work, Marian. :stare:

No, I'm not sick...
Don't be nervous! It only hurts for a second! Although, sometimes the pain can linger for a bit.

Yes, Link's portrait is actually inching away. Details. :allears:

I'm sorry...She never listens to me.
Don't stop me, Grandma! This is a perfectly reasonable cure for illness!
I hardly think you can call a treatment just as likely to fail as it is to work a "cure". And anyway, he says he's not sick.
What? Really?
Heh heh...
Honestly, Marian...You silly witch, trying to play doctor.
It's not silly, Grandma! You're just old fashioned! There are some things that magic can't heal. Us witches need to adapt to the times, too.
First you need to learn how to properly administer care to a patient! Then you can talk about what kind of medicine to use!
Don't worry, Grandma! One day, the greatness of my medicine will be acknowledged! Ah! I know! Let me borrow you for a sec! I'll use you as proof my medicine works!
L-Let me think about it...I'll get back to you later on that...
Great! So if you get sick or poisoned, come see me! We sell medicine and stuff here! Grandma works on the weekends, though, so make sure to come during the week!
Like I said, let me get back to you on that...
Fantastic! I'll be waiting!
She's not listening at all...

This place sells medicine, herbs(which we can use to make medicine ourselves once we unlock the relevant crafting station), and a handful of spells.

Oh, my name's Link. It's nice to meet...
Oh, that's right! Link! A doctor never forgets a previous patient's name! Yes, of course! How are you, Link?
Um, I don't think we've really "met" before...
Of course we have! You're Link! Boy, you sure are forgetful!
Jeesh...I can't seem to get through to her.
I'm Marian! I'm an apprentice doctor and witch! Stop by anytime if you get sick! Remember: Anytime! Anywhere! For whatever reason!
I-I'll remember that...

I'm really not a fan of Marian. Her schtick just grates on me.

Yes, that's right.
My name's Marjorie. People used to call me a witch, but now I'm just an old woman.
My name's Link. It's nice to meet you.
Oh, what a polite young man you are!
Um, thank you.
I'm also a doctor, but I've been leaving most of that to Marian these days. Would you rather be treated by me, or by Marian?
Ummm...
Normally, I would expect you would want to be treated by a cute girl like Marian, but that girl can be hazardous to your health.
Huh...?
Anyway, it's nice to meet you.
Nice to meet you too.

Marjorie is probably tied with Gaius & Wells for Sanest Person in Town.

Ooo, fancy.

Yuck!!
More!!!

The 3-star chef's cooking is very terrible, I must say! Yuck!! Yuck!!! More, please!!!
Sure thing. I'll have to thank Blaise. But you really do eat too much, Father. Don't you think so?
Hmm...I shall contemplate on it for some time and get back to you, dear. ...More!!!
Okay, just a moment.

Indeed! Bad morning, my ugly Sofia!
I detest you, Father.
Are you going out this fine day?
No. I'm going out today. I'm in a good mood.
Indeed! Just don't go to dangerous places. Don't be careful!
No.
I don't mean that!
Well, I'm off!
Always speaking in opposites.....Why do they have to go out of their way to make things so difficult?

Evelyn spells out the gimmick, for anyone who hadn't figured it out themselves by now. Although Link will still get confused a lot because he's slow on the uptake or something.

We've met Sherman and Sofia already, but Evelyn is still on the list.

I'm Link! I just moved into that big tree in town.
Oh, yeah. I heard you washed up here and lost your memory! That must have been a harrowing experience! I hope you get better soon.
Oh, it's okay. I'm doing much better now!
That's good to hear. Anyway, I'm Evelyn. Have you met my family? They speak in opposites. They're weird like that.
That seems...pointless. And difficult on a lot of levels.
Well...they can be tough to deal with. I'll admit that...But they're also incredibly kind and generous. Please try to look past their eccentricities!
I will! Thanks!
And who knows? Maybe you'll become such good friends that they'll talk bad about you behind your back!
That...seems like a counterintuitive goal!

If she seems sane so far, it's because her intro didn't touch on her quirk.

No...What is it?
I imagine it to be a light-weight dress...like fairy wings.
So it's not like anything you know...

I forgot where Daria's house was, and wound up here. Where I'm definitely not supposed to be yet.

There we go.

This is also a dungeon, but Daria lives on the first screen, where no monsters spawn.

Link has minimal commentary on the artwork littering the screen borders.

Hidden items can spawn in random places. They're usually nothing special, but free vegetables(aka 'free money') are appreciated this early in the game.

Daria gets a "RAINBOW!" voice clip. Assume it plays at least 3 times in any given conversation with her.

It's incredible! It's beautiful! This is the piece that'll show everyone what a staggering genius I am!
I'll finally be world famous! People will be lining up to interview me! I'll give lectures to packed houses! I'll be invited to fabulous parties!
But if I get too busy, then I won't be able to work on my art anymore. That would be tragic.
I'll need assistants! Probably a hundred of them! Hmm...I'd better start looking.

That's it. Her introduction is 100% her talking to herself. Daria, everyone!

She definitely has some...unique...art sense.

Also a free eggplant dish.

Maybe I should actually talk to Daria instead of creepily staring at everything in her house & stealing her food.

Uh...yeah?
I...uhh.. What are you staring at?
Your nose, your cheekbones....your face is fascinating.
W-What?!
You should model for me sometime!
Model...? Uh, sure, I guess.
Excellent! You couldn't have chosen a better artist to capture your form! Paintings, sculptures, mixed media...I'm a master of them all, an artist extraordinaire!
Rainbow!
That sounds pretty impressive.
You'd better believe it! Actually, maybe you'd make a better assistant than a model.
?
What's your name?
Link.
Link? I'm Daria. Come by my studio any time you want to take a look at my masterpieces!
Okay. (She seems a little...eccentric.)

Fall is so beautiful!
Uh, yeah...but it's spring.

Dream big.

Link's had a very long day. I think he deserves a rest.

Sorry, I'll have to pass.

New in RF3 is the ability to (attempt to) sleep in everyone's beds! I think it pisses the character in question off slightly if they're in the same room, but you get dialogue out of it, so it's all good.

And with that, we've met everyone! Time to talk to Shara and

What.

Just wandering into people's homes isn't enough. Make sure you're going up to each person and introducing yourself.

But I

Oh, right, Hazel.

Yep.
I'm Hazel. I own the general store, and am the mother of the laziest girl on Earth. We sell an assortment of crop seeds, so I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of you.
Yeah. I plan to do lots of farming.
Good! It's great to meet someone with some energy and ambition!
If only my daughter was more like you.

Now we've met everybody.

Oh, thank you. I'll bet you got a "SKILL UP!" message while you were walking around town. Were you surprised?

Seriously Shara, I've done this before.

Oh. I was hoping that you would be surprised...You got that message because your walking skill increased. That's a.skill that you increase just by walking around. You'll find that you build skill levels for just about everything you do, even eating and sleeping.
Wow. That's pretty detailed.
You can check out your skill levels in the Pause menu. Building skills will help you out in all sorts of ways.
That's good to know.
Now, let's see...Next, I'd like you to ship any one item.
Any item at all?
That's right. Just put it in the shipping bin, then come back and talk to me.

I shove some colored grass & that cabbage from earlier in the bin. It's too late in the day to get money for it, but it'll just be added to the shipment tomorrow.

Thank you. What did you ship?

Close enough.

That's a very sensible choice. Making the most of your field is key to being a good farmer. Well, that's it for my request. Great job!

You'll usually get an extra nice reward for difficult requests or when you complete a request for a wealthy client. But I think the real reward is helping others.
Yeah, everyone's been so nice to me here. It's great to have a chance to help out!
Tee-hee. That's the spirit! Now I should tell you about your mail box. It's just outside your door. It's another place where you can get requests. I asked my grandfather to send a request to your mail box. So check your mail box and I'm sure you'll get his letter soon! Did you understand all that?

Shara, seriously, Link didn't hit his head THAT hard.

I'll be getting a request in the mail box by my front door.
Perfect. And please be sure you accept my grandfather's request, okay?

Our reward for Tutorial Quest 1 is turnip seeds. I'll take it.

Onwards to Tutorial Quest 2. It's getting pretty late, but I can squeeze it in before the villagers start going to sleep.

Do you know Marjorie from the apothecary?

Good. This should be a piece of cake, then. I just got the flowers that she ordered. I told her they'd be in today, but knowing her, she probably forgot. So if it's not too much trouble, could you go over and remind Marjorie to come and pick her flowers up?
You just want me to deliver that message? I don't mind delivering the flowers to her.
No, that's all right. I don't want you to go spoiling my customers. Well, hop to it!

Link, you were already in here! Don't you start tutorializing at me too! :argh:

I have a message for you from Wells. He told me to tell you that your flowers have arrived, so please pick them up.
Ah! Those flowers! I completely forgot about them. If he had you come all the way over here, why didn't he just have you deliver the flowers?
Uh, he said he didn't want to spoil his customers.
Honestly...That stubborn old man. Well, you can let him know that I'll come and get my flowers later.
Will do!
Thanks.

It's an old sickle of mine. I thought it'd be a good housewarming gift.
Thank you.
You can use a sickle to cut weeds and harvest grass for fodder. You can also use it on a crop to harvest seeds from it. Sometimes you can get higher quality seeds that way. It's an essential tool for farming. Put that field of yours to good use!
Okay!

Using the sickle to level up your seeds is an essential part of the money making machine. Higher quality crops sell for more, have stronger effects, and create higher level cooked dishes.

Everything I shipped today. It's not much, but I wanted to save most of the colored grasses since straight-up selling them isn't a very good use of them.

And with that, Link can finally go to sleep. Maybe there'll be fewer tutorials tomorrow.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Although it's fair to assume this game would have someone who's decorated with live animals, it's actually a stuffed toy. Here's her entire portrait, to give better context:

She also has a dog on her hat, and some cat heads dangling from her hair(somehow).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Tutorial Quests R Us

Music: Town (Dawn)

Link, that's not how you sleep on a bed. Maybe you really did hit your head that hard.

These are all the skills I got yesterday. In order:

Water: Increases damage and reduces RP consumption of Water spells. Raises RP, INT, and Magic Defense.
Earth: Same as Water skill, just with Earth magic.
Love: "Your skill with love". Reduces RP consumption when a wooly(once Link can do that). Has the same stat and magic use bonuses as the other magic skills. Yes, Love is a type of magic in this game.
Farming: Reduces RP consumption of farm tools, and raises HP and RP.
Searching: Raises RP and INT slightly.
Walking: Raises HP, RP, and VIT.
Sleeping: Raises HP, RP, STR, INT, and VIT.

You really want to keep on top of your skills so your stat growth & max HP/RP keep up. Most of that will come naturally as you play, but sometimes it can benefit you to branch out a bit just for easy skill xp.

A quick look at the calendar shows the Bean Throwing Festival is coming up this Friday. Unsurprisingly, it involves throwing beans.

Link explored most of the town yesterday, but never hit up this one room in his own home. It's from the stair opposite the one that leads to the fields.

Shara, it's 6 in the morning. Why are you awake? Why are you in our house?

Strap in kids, the fourth wall is going on vacation.

This is the Trophy Room. When you accomplish certain things, trophies will appear here.
When I do certain things? Like what?
You know, I'm not really sure. I guess you'll just have to experiment and find out!
Okay!
This room is also connected to the Labyrinth World.

You can take on a labyrinth solo, or friends can join you locally over DS Wireless Play.

You can compare your scores with those of other players over intendo Wi-Fi Connection. Try to be the best! Let's see...What else is there?

If it's too easy right now, change it to hard. Play around with it and find a difficulty that feels right! Well, that's all I have to tell you about this room.
I got it. Thank you!
See you later!

We can't use the Labyrinth room yet, the ranking room is flat-out unusable since Nintendo WFC shut down, and I don't want to change the difficulty right now. What a useful area of the house.

At least Link can admire his two trophies.

If I knew how to use this Transform spell, I think I could go in here.

This is plot gated. I'll show it off later.

Sometimes growing crops can wither, but watering them fixes it. If you fail to water them, they turn into withered grass, which has some applications but generally isn't worth killing a crop over.

I picked up some cabbage seeds yesterday, and between those and the pink turnip seeds from foraging drops, Link's spent most of his RP already. It'll be fine. Probably.

There's nothing in the mailbox, but Sherman has a request on the bulletin board. This is another tutorial quest that unlocks a basic farm tool, in this case the axe.

Unfortunately, he's standing pretty close to the board.

Hey, I saw your request on the.bulletin board.
Oh, Link! I simply MUST not gorge myself with Seafood Gratin!
Ah...
You need a pot to make Seafood Gratin, and you won't need fire for the pot...So you can't make more stews if you had more fire power!
I don't believe so.
So I don't want you to bring me 9 Wood.
Ah...
You shouldn't be fine even when you don't have a Wood. Because this axe isn't a gift for you!

Sherman, you're fabulously wealthy. Couldn't you have given me a non-rusty axe?

Use this axe on a branch to make Wood!
I see.
By the way, if you lose it, you can't buy one from the weapon shop.
Ummm, So they do sell them?
Then please don't chop up lots of branches!
So he wants me to chop them up, right...?
Oh, you can't also throw items to hand them. But please don't be careful that someone else doesn't catch it. Because they won't think it's not a present!
I-I see...
So, Link. Bad luck!
Umm...thanks.

There's not much point in throwing items to people unless you're dragging them along to a dungeon, where you might want to throw healing items at them. But the option's there!

Chopping wood is a pretty low-key activity, so I do a round of socialization first.

Good morning to you too, Monica.

Umm...

Link's not that ugly!

I'm sorry.

I told her she was too slow at bagging, so now she just makes all the customers bag their own supplies!
Well, that's one solution.

Eat your vegetables, Rusk.

Delicious fish and a happy sister! That's all I need to be satisfied! Now, if I only had a cute...Actually, never mind!

Find a life outside fish and your sister, Carlos.

Go back to Rune Factory 1, generic NPC.

People shouldn't use the words love and hate so casually.
Huh? Why not?
You should only use powerful words.like that when you don't mean it.
Uh, right. Gotcha. (What is she saying? Man, it's not worth the effort to figure it out.)

Stop eavesdropping on villager conversations, Link.

I'm so busy.
Oh, yeah. Sorry...
I'm so busy. Why isn't anyone paying attention to me?
Huh?

I've got an idea! A stroke of true inspiration!
Really?
Yes! I just need to find a way to paint the moon! Maybe with a really tall ladder...
Um...good luck with that.

Let's sneak around the crazy elf and get that wood chopping done before she decides to coat Link with glitter or something.

Hit branches & stumps, wood comes out. Simple.

Until I forget that I was almost out of RP & that chopping wood actually takes a fair chunk of it earlygame.

When your dumb rear end gets KOed, you'll wake up back in the clinic. Normally you get charged, but Marjorie waives the fee this time.

Marian and Collette are friends for some reason. Maybe it's Collette's attempt at being memorable?

Mmmm...
Looks good, doesn't it?

Uh...that doesn't look good at all!

Link continues the conversation anyway, because he forgot what hints are.

Hey, Raven.
I don't like talking to people...
Huh...?
If you get near me, you'll become cursed, too...
...?

I got most of the way to the goal before dying, and scarfing down some medicinal herbs lets me get the last two lumber without incident.

Looks like I should've made it with Ironleaf instead of Turnip.
Why would that make a difference?

Ironleaf is a flower you can throw at enemies to cause damage. No, really.

Now I can't eat Seafood Gratin!
Umm, that's good...?
This isn't much, but it isn't for you. Please don't take it.
Thank you very much. Right...?
Yes, that's not right.
Ummm...?

Well then, I won't ask you again some other time.
Ah...

It turns out I misremembered and Blaise just gives you the kitchen counter for free. You still have to buy all the other kitchen tools, though.

Nah, I got plenty of spares. Gotta get my practice in, right? But just to clarify, you can only cook with your bare hands on a Kitchen Counter.
What if I want to cook more complex dishes?
You'll need other cooking appliances. You'll have to buy those separately.
I'll have to keep an eye out for those, then!
Okay, I'll deliver the Kitchen Counter to your house!
Sounds good!

The intial set of appliances isn't too pricy, but I have no reason to buy them now.

I thought I wanted Charm Blue for my bath today...but it turns out I felt like Toyherb instead!
Uh, what are you even talking about?

Can we buy Pia some sanity?

Welcome! Are you going to buy something?
Uh, maybe...I'm not...
Well, if you're not going to buy anything, you can always look! Looking's free, after all!
That's true.
But a lot of people end up buying. something after they take a look, so I recommend it!
Um, I'll think about it...

That might work better if you actually had things for sale.

(Sakuya's store only sells materials you've shipped, so there's no eligible items yet)

Is that why it's so hot?

I'm snooping around the blacksmith for Reasons.

The food left on the table all day is not the Reason.

There we go. It's Raven's diary.

Umm...'A strange man appeared today. He says he doesn't remember anything about his past. That's awfully suspicious...' Suspicious...?

Gaius' diary is less informative.

I spend the rest of the day clearing the field, which is productive but less than exciting to read about. Have a kitchen counter instead.

The Toyherbs and first batch of Pink Turnips are ready today. I sell most of them but hang on to one of each for gifting/hoarding/other future purposes.

One of the turnips drops a higher-level bag of seeds. Score!

Today's request is from Gaius. Spoilers: It's the mining tutorial quest.

I swing by the flower shop on my way to the blacksmith, and Shara has a surprise for us!

A little cologne can make a big difference.
I don't own any cologne.
Just come by any time I'm tending the store and I'll choose a scent for you.
You'll choose?
Of course! Is there something wrong with that?
Well, a guy's cologne is kind of a personal decision, don't you think?
Tee-hee. Don't worry. I'm a professional!

Shara will now have a random cologne on offer once a day. Each cologne provides an additional boost with a specific set of villagers. The villagers in question will have dialog about how good we smell before proceeding to their normal conversation.

Today's scent is:

Has to smell better than two-days-with-no-bath farm sweat.

If you get a rune, it will replenish some RP and raise a skill level. If you get a rune spirit, it will replenish some RP and raise one of your stats a bit. If you don't pick them up quick, they'll disappear, so keep an eye out for them.

In other words, Link's farm is intended to be the titular Rune Factory. I actually got a rune this morning, but I ran into it too quickly to get a screenshot.

Wells does not appreciate my attempt at an early morning nap.

Um.

There's a raccoon in Privera Forest? Well, I'm not really interested. I usually never go over there.

The cologne smelling like fish would explain why Carmen likes it.

I heard that raccoon was messing around with my statues in Privera Forest! What a jerk!

This raccoon sure is a big loving deal. It must be a slow news week. Aside from a mysterious amnesiac showing up and moving into the tree house, I mean.

Eek. So, baths feel so great.
Ah, baths feel great. They're nice.
Ummm...

I really have no witty commentary for Pia. I mean, what else is there to say? She's...Pia.

BREAKING NEWS: Raven spotted with a facial expression other than scowling.

What are you thinking about?
Shara's flowers...
Oh, yeah. They're pretty!
Flowers reflect the personalities of those that grew them...
Huh? What do you mean...?
Never mind.

Raven's actually a decent character, it's just a slow burn to get her to open up to you.

Do you think you could get some Iron for me?
Sure!
You'll need a hammer to mine for it, though. Here, use this one.
Really? Are you sure?
Yeah, it's no problem. Anyway, to mine for ore, you're going to want to hit the gray rocks you see in Privera Forest and other dungeons.
Gray rocks, you say?

These are different gray rocks than the ones on our farm. You'll see.

Yeah, gray rocks. Oh, also, you can mine with any kind of hammer, even those used for battle.

You can also use swords instead of sickles! But generally you want to stick to using the purpose-made farm tools, since they do the job faster.

I see...
Oh, and if you accidently lose your hammer, we have lots of them here at the shop.
Great! Thanks!
Well, I'm not going to give you a new one for free.
Uh, so I have to buy a new hammer from you if I lose this one...?
Yes. So I suggest not losing it. Thanks for your help!

Just don't think too hard about how we're going to break rocks with a wooden hammer.

Some colored grass can only grow in certain seasons! But we carry all of them in our store! Convenient, eh? I'll be waiting for you with my syringe!
Uh...what?

Uh, it looks like you're headed in that direction to me!

It looks like you're already in the diner to me!

While I'm here, let's check out the recipe bread. The only one of use right now is cooking bread, but that'll change.

Each recipe bread has a chance of being (thing) Bread+, which gives us more recipes than usual when we eat it.

I'll be stuffing Link's maw with recipe bread off-camera, since there's a ton of recipes to learn.

That stupid raccoon ate my Rice Ball! Without food, I'm gonna wither away...

But you don't like any vegetables, right?
Of course not. I'm a pastry chef.

Enough loving around. Let's mine some iron.

This isn't the right part of the forest, but it's got a nice view.

Welcome to the first dungeon, Privera Forest. Here you see a deadly Wooly, waiting to murder us.

It takes all of Link's stealth abilities to sneak around this cunning foe so I can show off the farm plot. The various dungeons have plots scattered around that you can grow crops in, just like the main farm. Why would you want to farm all the way out in a dungeon? Because each one counts as a different climate, letting you grow out of season crops more easily. Privera Forest always counts as Spring for farming purposes.

Monsters will keep spawning out of these gates until we destroy the gate itself.

I accidentally kill the Wooly while whaling on the gate. :rip:

Lucky drops! Earth crystals are one form of elemental crystal, semi-rare drops that can be used to enhance weapons & armor. Clippers are used to trim wool from Woolies, and the Woolies carry them around for...some...reason...

Mining rocks located.

I kind of get my rear end handed to me. I'm good at this game, I swear!

Half the problem is that I'm not a fan of long swords, and the slow attack speed is a killer this early on. I pick up a hammer so I can use something I'm more familiar with.

I also get a shield so I have actual defenses, and detour to the bathhouse so I can get my HP & RP back.

Um.

I used to dream of sailing the seas when I was younger. The smell of the ocean breeze, fishing in the open sea...sounds great, right?! Well, I ended up becoming a fisherman, which isn't so bad. I mean, I can still fish, right?

300 gold is a steal for a full heal, honestly.

After beating on enough Woolies to get a skill up, I get this too! :getin:

I learned the axe and hammer dash attack! Attack after a running start to perform a spinning attack!

This is going to be the bread and butter of multi-enemy fights for a while. Hits multiple enemies, knocks them back, sometimes stuns them for a bit. What's not to like?

This early on, way too much of our mining yield is going to be scrap metal(which is as useless as it sounds). I end up getting a single piece of Iron out of the rocks here.

Gaius, it's almost 10:30pm. Maybe you should go to bed.

Wait, you've been working this whole time?
Yeah. I think I'd fall asleep instantly if I put my hammer down.
Heh, well, I don't know about THAT...
Since you got this iron for me, though, I can keep going for a while longer. Thanks.
You're welcome.
Now, I should give you something in return for your help.
Why don't you give him your hammer...?
Mine? Why mine?
A newer hammer would be an.improvement over what he currently has...You'd like Gauis' hammer, right...?
What? Uh, sure...I mean, if it's being offered...
I don't mind. Here you...

He's fine...He just fell asleep...
Uh...did he really fall asleep because he let go of his hammer?
Gaius has a one-track mind when he's forging. It's all he can think about. That's why I always try to make sure that he runs out of materials when it's time to go to sleep...
Ah! So he stayed up too long because I gave him the iron to use.
Yeah...
I'm sorry.
Don't worry about it. It's not your fault.
Thanks. I guess I shouldn't take his hammer from him.
Are you sure...?
Yeah, it's fine.
I see...

We did it?

I'll carry Gaius up to his bed...
I-I'm sorry.

Man, he needs sleep, and badly.

So do we, but I squeeze out a little more chopping before bed. Never not be grinding skills & items.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 8, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

LordHippoman posted:

Also, are monster drops the only way to get the Clippers? That seems like it could be an issue if the drop rate is too low.
You can buy them at the Blacksmith's too, I just conveniently got a set from the first Wooly I slaughtered.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Fishing Fun

Another day, another round of crops to water.

This cutscene has a very dumb trigger. See, it only shows up when you're going out the door to the mailbox. Except there's no reason to take that door, since you can head downstairs, water your crops, and circle outside to check the mailbox at your leisure(and that's what I do 99% of the time). The good news is that it's not anything important, just a festival reminder.

Link? Are you here?
What is it?
Hee-hee. Tomorrow is the first festival of spring!
Really? Neat!
Yes. It's called the Bean Throwing Festival.
What happens at the Bean Throwing Festival?
Well, everyone gathers in the plaza, then a few people dress up as demons. Then everyone throws beans at them! The people who are dressed as demons compete to see who can get hit by the most beans. Grandpa says you can be one of the demons this year! It's tons of fun!
That sounds...really strange.
Really? I've been going to it for as long as I can remember, so I've never thought about it.
How do I join the festival?
My grandpa will be in the plaza. Just talk to him. He'll tell you all about the rules. And then you can choose whether or not you'd like to participate.
Got it.
Hee-hee. I hope you'll sign up. I think you'd make a great demon!
Uh, thanks...I think.
See you later!

It's really hard to forget about a festival because that's all everyone will be talking about, even without Shara bursting in to remind us.

Time for the last of the tutorial quests.

Now, where'd I put my practice beans...?
You seem pretty eager to win.

Uh...is that really necessary?

Talking to Wells the day before a festival gives you a sneak preview of the rules. This doesn't matter much for this festival, but there are future ones where it's good to prepare ahead of time.

tl;dr: Get hit by beans. Don't get hit by Failed Dishes. Get hit by lots of beans in a row to start a combo and get even more points.

We actually have this festival in my home country, as well. But in our festival, the beans also call forth good fortune. It seems like Sakuya is treating them the same, though.

This corner of the diner is easy to miss, but Rusk hangs out here sometimes.

Hey, did you even READ the bulletin board? I'm your "master" when it comes to fishing now!
Uh...I think I missed that part, actually.
"Missed that part"? Oh, you have much to learn, apprentice. Well, I'll let you off the hook for today! Now, let me teach you basics of fishing! (sic)
The basics?
Yes, the basics! Are you ready, apprentice?! First, we need to find a fishing spot! You can see shadows where fish are! Not all bodies of water have fish, though! Got it? Now, you'll have to keep this a secret! Guess what?! You can find some fish in the sand! Isn't that amazing?!
What? In the sand?!
Yes, but it's a secret as to where you can find these fish! You'll have to find them yourself!
Wait, can't I get a hint or...
Anyway, let's move on! When you find a fish, press B to cast your line! The fish will come near your lure! Next, the fish will poke at your lure for a bit. However, just be patient!
Then, suddenly, the fish will bite! When it does, push B! PUSH IT! PUSH IT HARD!
Um... A-Are you okay?
*pant pant*...sorry, I got a bit carried away! Well, that's pretty much the basics of fishing!
I think I got it.
Anyway, the better you get at fishing, the more fish you can catch! So keep working at it! Just remember to be patient! Fishing isn't easy to master!
I... I can tell.

Usually, you'd have to buy a fishing rod from Gaius! But you can't start fishing without a fishing rod! You should be thankful you have such a kind master! Anyway, do you have any questions?
Uh, not in particular, no.
Great! Then why don't you go catch something?! How about...1 fish? Yeah, that sounds good...go catch 1 spring fish! Since it's spring now, you can catch them around our store! You can even go to Privera Forest to catch them! Oh! But be careful of the monsters! Well, good luck!
Uh...you mean you want me to catch the fish right now?
That's right! Now hop to it! Off you go!

I just barely missed her punching Link. :argh:

I look forward to seeing what you can catch! See ya!
Y-Yeah...see ya.

We actually lost 2 HP from Carmen punching us. Brutal.

It is, but one I never remember to use. It's not very useful once you're past the earlygame resource bottleneck.

Wow, it sounds like you're really into it!
Really into it? Of course! Who WOULDN'T be? If anything, you're not into it enough!

Fishing time.

The squid counts as a fish for the purposes of this quest, but I went back and fished up the trout because I forgot you actually have to give the fish to Carmen.

It looks like you've got what it takes to be a fisherman! Good work! Here's a special treat from your master!
Thank you!
Just keep on practicing! You are now dismissed, apprentice!
Yes, master!
Oh, wait a sec!
Uh...yes?
Have you been looking in your mailbox?
My mailbox?
Yeah! You know, the mailbox next to your front door! As you get to know the people around here better and better, they'll send letters to your mailbox!
Oh, really?
Yep! So be sure to take a look in your mailbox sometime! Someone might be looking for your help, and you wouldn't even know it! So be sure you don't ignore them!
Okay! I'll be sure to look!
Great! Dismissed then, apprentice! This time for real!

We haven't had any mailbox requests yet, but now that they're unlocked, we'll be getting a bunch. You can take one bulletin board and one mailbox quest per day, so this effectively doubles the number of quests I can do.

And our reward was...a sardine. Sure.

While I'm bumming around the Inn/Bathhouse, I stumble upon a reference to RF1! Mei was one of the bachelorettes in that game, and was a loving pain in the rear end to marry because you needed to level up a Lover Snapper using Nintendo WFC(which is impossible now) or local wireless(which involved having a friend who also owned RF1 having 2 DSes and 2 copies of the game).

Also she's apparently immortal or something.

Y-Yes...how do you know who I am?
Calm yourself. I only know of you due to your unusual name.
I-I see...
I am Mei. I have the ability to affect people's memories and change your name. However, I will only change your name if you wish it. Would you like to change it?

Mei's purpose here is to let you rename your character & farm, in case you decided you made a big mistake. But we're not going to do that. She doesn't have affection values or anything so there's no reason to talk to her again, but she does have some interesting dialogue here and there.

Time for some dungeon crawling. This event has another weird trigger; I'm pretty sure it won't happen while you have a request active, which is why I'm getting it even though Link's been to the forest already.

What are you up to?
Wells?
You shouldn't wander into Privera Forest unless you're prepared.
Why? What's in there?
Monsters, of course! If you don't have a weapon with you, you're liable to get walloped! And I hear that troublesome raccoon is hiding in there too. It'd be nice if someone would take care of him.
Wells...

Wouldn't it be easier to call an exterminator? I mean, it's a raccoon. Link doesn't have time for this poo poo.

Nonsense! You ought to at least be a match for a raccoon. Have a little faith in yourself. The monsters in Privera Forest aren't too tough if you're ready for them. Just don't try exploring any other areas yet.
Other areas?
On the west side of town are entrances to Vale Rive and Sol Terrano Desert. On the east side, you'll find Oddward Valley. The monsters in those places are a lot more dangerous than the ones you'll find in Privera Forest. So you'd better stick to Privera Forest until you've got a lot more experience fighting monsters.
Got it.
I should also tell you about Teleport. You can use Teleport when you need to get home fast. If you're in a dungeon, it'll take you to the entrance. If you're in town, it'll take you straight to the.Sharance Tree. Open the quick equip menu with L and equip the spell to X or Y. It doesn't use any RP, so you can use it any time. Teleport is a special ability. You can't remove it, so you'll always have it with you.

Way ahead of you, Wells.

Sounds useful. I'll try it out.
Oh, and don't you go bringing any monsters back into town! I hate those danged things!

Right. You're not a fan of monsters. Got it.

We're definitely going to be defying him and taming some monsters eventually. But not today.

One thing I haven't shown off yet is giving gifts to villagers. They have some items they like/love and some items they dislike/hate, which raise and lower affection by a little/a lot, respectively. Daria is relatively easy to gift earlygame, since she likes the colored grasses blanketing the fields.

Time for some murder. Pomme Pommes are barely more dangerous than Woolies, since they'll actually attack you but are lousy at it.

Orcs are the first dangerous enemy here, since they attack you aggressively & some flavors come with a ranged attack. Fortunately, the hammer's knockback+stun makes them a lot easier to deal with.

They also drop a variety of things, including our first accessory!

There's not much that uses magic this early on, but it's better than nothing.

After fighting my way through one side of the lake:

Hmm.

But it's getting late and Link's beat to hell, so it's time to call it a day.

Just FYI: I'm going to be gone for a week. I've pre-recorded the next couple updates, so regular updates will resume around April 10th.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Sharance's Mean Bean Machine

Music: Festival

Today's the Bean Throwing Festival!

But the festival itself takes no in-game time, so I still need poo poo to do today. And it turns out that Daria desperately needs some wood.

Just to make double-sure you don't miss festivals, everyone in town will be talking about them on the day of.

Wait, I'm what now?
I'm out of Wood to carve. And inspiration just struck me! So hurry and bring me 3 Wood! Inspiration waits for no one!
Ah...okay.
You can get Wood by hopping branches with an axe. But if that's too slow, maybe you can try chopping down some signs or something. Art demands sacrifices!
Uh, I think I'll stick with branches.
Well, whatever you think is best.
I'm on it.

Daria wasn't lying about getting wood from signs. It's not a particularly efficient way to get lumber, but it's there.

Carlos, maybe you shouldn't be so overconfident.
Hm? You say something, bro'?
N-Never mind...

How come demons lose their power when you throw beans at them?
Beans have invisible energy inside them. Demons are weak against the energy, and run away from it. And that's why you can beat ogres with beans!
Really? Wow! You know everything!

As far as I can tell this festival is a reference to Setsubun, down to throwing beans at ogres/demons & Shino/Sakuya referencing bringing in good luck with the beans.

Karina is always so energetic!

Certain villager groups will have conversations with each other on festival days(in this case three separate group conversations, one for each girl!), on top of their own individual conversations. In this case I'm guessing it's an excuse to give Raven some early character depth.

When expressing emotions other than :geno: makes others concerned, maybe you should talk a bit more. Maybe.

Huh? Battle?

Is Raven feeling well? Should we bring Marian over here?

You do you, Karina.

Shall we help her practice, Raven?
Gladly.
Hey, those beans hurt! Ow! Stop it! They really hurt!
Th-That's a little harsh...

Wh-What do you mean?!
Shall we start?
With pleasure!
Hey, stop throwing those beans at me! They feel so good!

I...I see...

Man, these girls are ruthless. Let's get out of there.

Oh, it's just that those beans look SO good!
*sigh* I'll make some beans for you later, then.
Let's see. Maybe I'll add some of that, too. Oh! And that herb, and...
Hey! What are you planning on making?!

Of course! That's why I mixed them in my medicine ahead of time! You want a taste?
Ow! Hey, don't throw beans at me, Collette!

Why are these two friends again?

I'm quite good at throwing my sewing needles, though.
P-Please don't throw your sewing needles...

Is anyone in this town not consumed by violence?

Ah, much better.

No, not me. I'm being an ogre right now.
What?!

So she wished me luck because it would bring in more business and profits!
Wow, she's just a ball of ill intent.

Shino, you realize an entire day's passed since we started this conversation, right? Maybe refresh the context before diving in to it?

After a harrowing adventure chopping wood, eating medical herbs to keep going, and chopping more wood, we have 9! Time to report back to Daria.

Of course! Imagine if I could carve up the Sharance Tree. I could make a towering statue that would put every other wood carving to shame!
Y-You can't do that! The Sharance Tree is sacred! And...it's where I live.
I'm just kidding! For now, anyway.
For now?!
Thanks for your help, assistant! Here you go!
Uh, thanks.
I'll send for you again if I need anything, my dear assistant!
O-Okay...

Iron. One piece of iron. Sure.

Spoilers: I am very, very bad at this festival. Even with savescumming.

tl;dr(again): Get hit by beans. Brown beans are worth more than green beans. Start combos by being hit by lots of beans in a row. Don't get hit by Failed Dishes.

The first wave of beans is fairly simple, with each villager throwing them in a straight line.

Then it starts getting more complicated.

The winner was Karina of all people. I didn't even make the top 3 in any of my attempts.

I did get a handful of cooking bread as a consolation prize, which isn't awful.

And now all everyone will be talking about is how badly you/they lost.

Yyyeeeah, just a little.

I need a nice, long, massage, my dear assistant...
Um...I-I don't think I can help you with that right now.

Keep it in your pants, Daria. You just met Link a couple days ago.

This doesn't sound too hard. Let's do it!

Sure did!
Good! This shouldn't be a difficult errand for you! I just had a huge meal, but I'm still kinda hungry! I could really use a tiny snack. Just a nibble!
I think I can handle that. What do you want?
Could you bring me 3 Rice?
3?! That's not a "nibble"!
Says you! It is to me!
I wonder what it'd take to make you feel full...anyway, I'll take care of it!
Cool! And you better hurry up! I'm wasting away here!

Rice can be bought from the general store. ...which is closed today, because it's a festival day. Oops. At least this can be dealt with quickly tomorrow.

I forgot them!

I don't think that's what she meant, Pia.

Okay! That's awesome!
It sure is!
It's time to get out of the red!
Exactly.
We're in this together!
Y-Yeah.

I'm starting to think Sakuya isn't a very good influence on Pia.

Just wait till next year...
W-wow...you look intense, Raven.

Thank you...(I guess nobody tried)

I said I wasn't very good at it, okay? :saddowns:

:rip:

And with that, the rest of the day is spent twiddling my thumbs grinding skills for the first dungeon.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Inn Quests

Music: Home Sweet Home

It's a beautiful day in the cabbagehood.

Cabbages sell for more than turnips, but grow slower. The trade-off's worth it.

When your soil quality is poor, your crops will take longer to grow. So rotate between a few different planting spots to keep that from happening. Also, sprinkling Withered Grass or Formula A where you tilled will help.

Crop rotation exists. It's also completely negligible once you're able to spam fertilizers at will. This has been your Fun Farm Fact™ of the day.

Anyway, time to grab the 3 bowls of rice Collette wanted and head off to find her starvation-riddled corpse.

After a quick nap, of course.

Wait, what am I thinking?
Are you tired? I guess you can sleep there...

And I really like pastries with chocolate. I make them all the time at work.

Oh, there's Collette.

Link! You have your own bed!

Maybe some rice will smooth things over?

*SCARF SCARF*
Guess she was right about that being a "tiny nibble" after all. She tore right through that!
Done! You're a life-saver! Thought I was gonna starve for a sec there! Hey, you grow veggies, right? I'm sure you could use this for when I-- er, I mean, YOU get hungry! Well, it won't be long till I'm hungry again! Ta-ta till then!

Well, there are worse quest rewards.

Exactly. They make good clothes.
Clothes?!

God help Evelyn if Pia ever hears about this.

But you should take a bath if you're tired. Baths are amazing. Huh?

It's right around 10, so might as well take the time-sensitive one.

Oh, you saw the bulletin board? Well, could you go order some meals from Blaise then?
From Blaise?
I put together the snacks, but we have Blaise do our meals. There are some customers who come just for that.
Very impressive.
Yes. And so, about your job. We serve at lunch, so please get back here by 12PM.
Yes, of course.
Oh, and be sure to order a warm, Eastern style meal that doesn't use seafood.

Sounds simple enough. Almost...too simple.

Ah, I see. You are helping out with the inn. Very well then. What was the order?

I'm done. Please get this to Shino.
Okay. Thank you very much!

Too simple. And too normal. What's the catch?

What? It wasn't ordered by a customer?
That's right. But, it's my job to match the perfect meal to my customer...anyway, thank you. This is your payment.

That was it? No wacky hijinks? Just doing a simple job and getting paid for it? Am I still playing RF3?

Chill, we're here to help.

Did you see the letter?
Yes.
Good. I wanted you to get.me some Bamboo Shoot. One of my customers.said he's never had it before.
Bamboo shoot? Yeah, okay.
Really? Then how do you harvest Bamboo Shoot?

You can also use a sickle or sword to get them, but hoe is the right answer here.

Exactly. Very impressive, Link. Well, thanks for doing this for me.

Bamboo shoots spawn all over the fields in Spring, so finding one isn't hard.

You've proven that you can be counted on.
Oh, it wasn't much.
So I've got something for you! Now, pick one.

Each box has different stuff - the good-smelling box has salmon sashimi, the spicy box has curry powder, and the sweet smelling box has strawberry jam. I take the jam since it's worth the most. Someday money will be an afterthought, but not today.

Different souvenirs...you really do go a lot of different places.
Well, it is my job. You have to travel around, getting to know. the different places. Although, I pretty much just love to travel.
Ha ha...
This Bamboo Shoot will be a good souvenir. Thanks a lot.
You're welcome. Just let me know.if you need anything.
Yes. Well, thanks again.

A peek at villager affection. Daria likes Link most since I've done one of her quests & fed her a couple pieces of colored grass. Everyone else is from a combination of how easy they are to talk to while roaming around & which quests I've done.

Ummm...
Ummm...
Ah...

Riveting.

Survivability tip: Armor good. Remember to buy some from Gaius so you can take more than 4 hits without dying.

22 is a slight improvement on 3.

Time to murder our way towards plot progression.

Let's see..."When the faces see each other, the doors will open." What does that mean...?

Each statue can rotate. This may seem like the world's simplest puzzle, but the answer actually isn't turning the two statues to face each other. There's a set of statues on the other side of the lake, and you need the statues on each side to face the other. So it's really the world's second-simplest puzzle!

Like so. Time to head to the other side.

Ooo, new toy.

Charging it all the way without getting hit(or having the enemies wander away from you) can be fiddly, but the attack itself is alright.

Oops. At least this is a good excuse to go to bed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
All bamboo needs to be hoed/scythed up, but in only spawns in fields(including dungeon fields) in the first place.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Bath Census

Music: Home Sweet Home

Another day, another quest.

Looks like someone didn't finish eating it!
Yuck! Who would be eating in the bath...?

Spoilers: It's Pia. She has an eternal vendetta against squid.

We are living in a literal tree house. How are we even supposed to heat this thing in the winter?

Oh, you don't have to worry about that. The Sharance Tree is nearly impervious to fire.
Whew. That's good to hear.
I'm glad you asked. Every responsible homeowner should be concerned about fire safety.
Yes.

By the way, about these mosquitoes...

Can we at least get some bug nets over the entry stairs? :saddowns:

You don't even like sweeter vegetables?

Vegetables, Rusk, eat them, etc.

I'll leave it to you then. (It's today.)
What?!

Same response for all three. Oh, Karina. You're...a person, alright.

Yeah. Looks like I'm out at the moment. Or out of what I need, anyway!
That seems to happen a lot with you. What do you need, exactly?
Scrap Metal.
Scrap Metal?!
Why are you yelling?
Well...sometimes, I just yell for no reason. It's kinda how I roll.
You're weird.
Yeah, it's a personality quirk, I guess. So I just need to bring Scrap Metal?
Yes. And no yelling when you bring it, okay?

To the mines! Without yelling.

Oh! I-It's not like I'm expecting to get anything from Karina!
Oh, I haven't said anything, yet...

'I...it's not like I wanted a birthday present or anything, baka!'

People love getting random vegetables for their birthday, right?

I really like this! Thank you!

This is the fantasy middle ages, of course they do.

Cologne time.

What does that even mean?
I'm not sure. That's what Grandfather called it. It must be some old expression.

This is one of the worst colognes you could get, because it only gives points for two people. Oh well, can't argue with free points either way.

The resident olds are the ones who like it, in case Shara wasn't obvious enough.

Do you go there to fight...?
Hm?
Never mind...

I see...
Is there something in the forest?
No...I just felt like asking...

Odd as ever.

I told you I was free. But that was a bald-faced lie. I was actually upset about something.
Oh, right. Don't worry about it. It's fine.
Great! No hard feelings, then! And I never want to see your loathsome, detestable visage again!
You don't?!

Yes, Link's already had it clarified that Sofia speaks in opposites. Yes, he's still getting confused by it.

We're practically tripping over the stuff with our low mining skill, it's not a very hard fetch quest.

Oh, is that the outfit you're working on over there?
Yep! Just needed to add the final touches! Scrap Metal!
So I take it that's an outfit for guys?
Absolutely. Men need something testosterone-laden to really make their outfits "pop." I focus on female fashion, of course, but I dabble in male fashion as well.
Well, it's good you're an equal-opportunity offender, then.
Er, I mean, it's good that you offer both male and female fashions!
Thanks! I take a lot of pride in my work! So, this outfit's for Gaius. You think it suits him?
Uh...lemme think about this...

It's criminal that we never get to see him wearing this.

Hmm...It could work.
Wow, you really think so?! I was worried it was a little too...understated. I'm glad you think it suits him, though. That's reassuring.
Yeah, well, I don't think you need to add any more "flavor."
Flavor? You think maybe I should add some cheesecake or peach slices?
It's, uh...fine as it is. Really. Trust me.
Well, if you say so! Here's a little something for your fashion consulting!

You know, you've got a little bit of fashionista in you! I'll definitely be hiring you again!

:getin:

Oh, that! Cool! I could really use your help. It's for the census!
The census? For the town, you mean?
No, it's the bath census! Question the first! You like your water warm or cold?

What kind of weirdo likes cold baths? But thanks to the power of text dumps, we can hear all three responses!

Smmmooookin'! Somebody stop you!
Uh, I like my baths as hot as possible. What can I say?

>Tepid

I think you ain't nothin' but a gutless yellow jerk! And I'm givin' you to the count of 10 to prove me wrong!
Are you...threatening me?
Oh, I just overheard some vagabond say that one time when he was fighting. I always thought that line sounded really cool!
Ah, okay. Though you wanted me to put up my dukes! But yeah, that is kind of a cool line!

>Cold

What, you think this is a kiddie pool? You're just gonna hop in the shallow end with your life jacket?
Uh...no. I just prefer my water cold!

Pia's pretty strong evidence that something's in the water around here.

Question the second!
Oh, there's more than one question?

What?! Now you're just making up colors, buddy!
Uh, but it was one of the options.
Clerical error. I blame the gnomes! They're not very skilled copy editors...well, moving on!
Wait, wasn't that last question invalid, then?
Nope! The gnomes have the final say!
I'm not even gonna get into that...

>Milky white

White is the new black!
Huh? Who told you that?
Sakuya! So, I take it you like black, too?
Uh, yeah. Sure.

>Tan

Ah, the color of iron! The water turns that color when iron oxidizes!
Wow, I didn't think.you were much into science!
Oh, I can drop so much science on you! For example, don't stay in iron-colored water too long! You'll rust!
Uh, I'm not made of metal!

I'm not thinking it's iron in the water, but it's definitely a metal of some sort.

Slimy? Hey, isn't that copyright infringement?
Hmmm...
Oily?
Oh, it's getting farther.

>Silky

Silky's nice...but I think I prefer suede-textured water!
Is that even biologically possible...?

>Crunchy

You've got great taste in water texture! That's my favorite, too!
I was actually joking...
Don't be dissing crunch water, buddy!

It does make me wonder why the older people are the sanest, though. Maybe you develop a resistance to the water over time?

A prize? For a census?!
I'll come around again next census!
I'm gonna have to go through this nonsense again?!

All that for some juice.

The Sharance Tree...can I dye it a new color?
Uh, what color?
Daria's special rainbow!
Wouldn't a rainbow be lots of colors?
Yes! But no! The colors are different, but so inseparable that they might as well be one!
Well, that sounds interesting. But I think a lot of people would get angry if you painted the tree.
Oh, that's too bad.

Back to the forest.

Stairs...I guess I can go down.

I'm not sure this is a suitable job for our local rainbow-obsessed artist, but she's our best shot.

A broken bridge? How mundane. I'm sure I could fix it, but where's the art in that?
Come on, a great artist like you? I'm sure you can find something artistic to do with it.
You're right! A great artist can make art out of anything! Leave it to me! I'll build you a bridge like you've never seen!

Of course she can summon rainbows out of thin air. Did you really expect anything less?

Some of this! And some of that! This! Is!
Art!! Rainbow!!!

No, this is Link. Art is in the RF4 LP.

It's another masterpiece! A bridge like no other!

Link just doesn't understand the artistic process.

Wow. Daria wasn't kidding about the bridge being unique. It's really...something.

I kind of love it.

The rest of the day is spent murdering things and harvesting drops. The stuff coming up isn't super hard, but I'd rather go in fresh.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 22, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Tea Delivery

A quick one to make up for delays caused by Persona 5 very important stuff.

Could you take these Relax Tealeaves to Marjorie?
No problem.
I'd ask Karina, but I can't find her anywhere. The only thing that girl works hard at is skipping out on work!
Ha ha...
Anyway, thanks for doing this for me.

Many of these early quests are just going over qualities you'll have seen already. I guess it's in case you're not talking to everyone? (Although that'd be a bad life choice, since RF3 has a huge variety of daily chat)

They always start chasing me whenever I have food with me.
Really?
Well, I guess the food was theirs to begin with, but still, isn't that rude?!

Is that why everything in the forest attacks me? Because I'm stealing their delicious apples and mushrooms?

Black thing...?
It was so beautiful that it's been haunting my dreams...
Your hands are shaking...

In any other game this would be a lead-in to a spooky quest. Here it's daily dialog that I'm pretty sure never comes up again.

I love it so much that I'm doing your job.

Hmmm...(Weirdo...)

Oh, I see. (That sounds a little too much like me...)

gently caress you too, Karina.

Eat your flowers, Rusk.

Karina must be hiding from work again.
Looks like it.
Ho ho. My Marian's a handful, but I'll bet Hazel gets just as much trouble from Karina.
Ha ha...
But you don't have to worry about those two. They actually love each other very much.
Is that right?
They just have a funny way of showing it. Anyway, I got the goods. Give Hazel my best.
Will do!

Speaking of Marian.

Someone bring me a patient! Link! Go bring me Collette!
Is...Is that an order...?

Aaaand backing away slowly.

Yep.
I'm glad there's someone around here I can count on! Here's your reward.

(She's really hard on Karina. I guess that shows that she cares?)
What is it? Is there something on your mind?
Well, you and Karina seem to have a...contentious relationship sometimes.
You're darn right! That's because she's a useless slacker! Why, did Marjorie say something about us?
Uh...

Use your words, Link. You're even talking to a sane person here!

What? What did she say?!
Well...
No, never mind. I don't want to know.
It really wasn't anything bad.
I don't care! I don't want to hear it! Now off with you!
Huh? But I...

Fade to outside.

Well, I need to shop here, so I'd better not bring it up again.

At least we'll get another cabbage out of this in a few days?

What, you don't have anything you hate?
No way! I'll eat anything! Actually, check that! I absolutely HATE milk!
Uh, so how's that different than Rusk not liking vegetables?

...because you can have a healthy diet without milk but not without vegetables?

It's TOTALLY different! It's a metabolism thing! You wouldn't understand!

I somehow never knew about this thing next to the bulletin board until now. The festival thing is basically the only reason you'd want to cancel a request(unless you flat-out can't finish it and want to do something else in the meantime). This tip also covers the two types of randomly generated quests - battle quests(where you defeat a number of a given monster) and fetch quests.

But for now we want to do as many non-random quests as possible. Let's see what Carlos has to say.

(Uh...I wonder what it could be...)

Fishing's a pretty extreme activity, you feel me? This drink'll help you get fit, and quick! I mean, check out my muscles, bro'!
Yes...they're pretty impressive, Carlos...
Think of this as a toast to your first step into the world of fishing! Congratulations, Link! So from now on, I expect you to be a regular customer!
Heh...you're quite a salesman, Carlos!

Well, that was fast.

The reward's pretty good, too. This permanently increases our strength by 1 point. It's not much in the long run, but every little bit helps now.

Your field...can I dye it a new color?
Uh...
Daria's special rainbow II!
Rainbow II? Wasn't the first rainbow color enough?
If I paint your field with it, it'll be a thousand times better! A blinding explosion of color!
Uh, I kind of need to be able to see my crops. Sorry.

So, we now have access to the first boss of the game, but we're not quite tough enough to take it on yet.

That means the rest of the day is spent training on a new weapon - the spear. The spear is kind of the polar opposite of the hammer. It attacks quickly and doesn't make you as much of a slave to momentum, but it also has a harder time hitting multiple enemies.

I mostly stuck to hammers when I first played RF3, but spears wrecked face in RF4. Maybe they'll impress me as much here?

The spear's dash attack isn't very impressive. It's awkward to aim, and you'd do a lot more damage by just attacking normally. The stun chance is nice, I guess?

Early levels of weapon skills come so quickly there's no reason not to dabble in them. If nothing else, you get extra RP and Strength out of the deal.

Once I've had enough of a beating, the evening's spent clearing the fields until I pass out. I swear I'm not doing this on purpose. :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's slightly better when they're in motion & not being resized so it's easier to see what's happening in the screenshots, but...yeah.

I'd be happier to see a RF5 at all, though. :(

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Errand Boy

Music: Spring Dungeon

Another day toiling away in the turnip mines.

And another day of Link's Delivery Service.

I actually had orders from Blaise and Marjorie. But I have something else I needed to do. Do you think you could deliver them for me?
That's fine.
Thanks! I knew I could count on you.

Well, this Heavy Spice goes to Blaise, this Tomato goes to Marjorie.
Yeah, okay.
Well, thanks for doing this for me.

Mangez vos légumes, Rusk.

...did Link just get roped into a drug smuggling ring?

Sakuya asked me.
I see. Thank you. Please thank Sakuya for me for everything they do. We have a lot of customers who are picky about ingredients and Sakuya is a lifesaver.
Really? (So Sakuya is relied upon.)

Once, he had some wine to drink at a festival, and...Well, it sure was a sight to see!
Wait...Wh-What happened?
Oh, you'll have to ask Blaise about it.
(Huh? Why won't she tell me...?)

That's nice and all, but I have an urgent tomato for you.

Now, did I ever ask her for this...?
What?!
Ho ho. I'm kidding. We old people like teasing you youngsters.
P-Please don't startle me like that.
Oh, you're here for Sakuya, aren't you? Then that's the least you can do. That girl always indulges me.
Sakuya does?
Oh. She's a really nice girl. Unlike my granddaughter...

Don't ask. Just trust me on this one.
Okay...

Blaise must be one hell of a drunk.

They're very city-like, right? Very cute?
Y-Yeah... (I'm glad I didn't say they were strange.)

I'm assuming Karina is meant to be wearing different clothes here, but, y'know, DS game.

I wonder why?!

The cologne of the day. No prizes for guessing the witches like it.

Hey, Link! ! What do you think of when you hear the word "witch"?

Fear?! But witches aren't scary! WE'RE NOT SCARY AT ALL!!!

Maybe Marjorie isn't, but you? Uh, sure.

Ms. Innkeeper? Can we get the bath ready for one?!

Of course not.
Well, here's a special offer! One free voucher to the women's bath--

What's the deal?
You seem disappointed.
Wait...what are you doing?
I thought we'd do some stand-up comedy to draw customers in, but it's not going too well.
What's the deal?
Wait, what are you talking about?
That's about how well it's going...
Um, so...
Oh, well. Anyway, you got them delivered? Thanks. Well, here's your compensation.

What's the deal?
Yes, that's the timing! Pia, you remember that.
Robert!

Leave Pia alone. :saddowns:

Who's that? It's Roger!
Well, this is your real compensation.

Thanks, again.
Ah...

You ever get the feeling you're being watched?

Our prize is a clump of wool. It's no bath voucher, but...it'll do, I guess.

Also, Pia & Sakura were doing manzai. As for how they translated it...well, it honestly kind of works with this game.

Pictured: A mistake.

There's an ingredient I need to make sweets, but I forgot its name...Ahhh, what was it called again?!
Oh...that's it?
Something powder....If I had a pharmacy, I could make it with 2 apples. So, I need your help! Could you go find it for me?!
What?! Whaaaaaat?

This is what counts as a shocking request? Really, Link?

Hm, it's an ingredient to make sweets, and it's called something powder? I'll go look for it.
Okay! Please!

Have you guessed the problem yet?

When I get married, I'm going to cook for my husband. But I still haven't found a guy better than my brother. It's a serious problem.

This...isn't the problem I was talking about, but it's also a problem. :stonk:

So, you think a basic cooking ingredient might be bought at the general store, right? Well, not this one! The sweet powder(which is what Rusk was looking for, and should be obvious to anyone who's played a Rune Factory before) can't be bought in any of the town stores, so you have to unlock the Pharmacy to make it. The Pharmacy unlocks semi-early, but it'll still be a while before that happens.

So this request gets to sit on the board until that changes. Unforunately, this eats my bulletin board request for the day, so I'm only getting half as much done as usual.

The rest of the day is spent taking out my frustrations on innocent monsters.

And getting a lucky Onion Seed drop from an onion ghost. They're another spring crop, but one that hasn't been unlocked in the general store yet.

I also start grinding out cooking skill. Unforunately, you can only make one dish at a time, so this is a lot more tedious than it needs to be.

Especially since you have to sit through this stupid animation every single time. This is probably the biggest step back coming from RF4.

At least we got pickled turnips & skill boosts out of it.

Decent stats for the simplest dish we can make, and it sells for more than raw Pink Turnips. I'm going to be making a shitload of these offscreen from now on.

In the interest of this LP not taking 500 years, I'm going to try to do more than one day at a time now. It shouldn't be so bad now that most of the tutorializing crap is done & I don't need as much of the flavor text to establish the characters.

Fun fact: You can charge up before sowing seeds & cover a 9x9 plot(or as much of the plot as you can) in one go. I'm not sure if the game ever tells you this.

Sounds easy enough.

Aren't you here because of my letter?
Yeah, but...
Then let's go!
Aren't you at least going to tell me where we're going first?
Nope! Tee-hee. It's a surprise! But to start, we're going to head to Privera: Entrance! I'll give you more directions when we get there. Let's go!

I swear I didn't intentionally do this request on her birthday.

Mostly because I forgot it was today & was lucky I had a toyherb to give her.

Let's make a pit stop while we're here.

Those long antennae, all of those little legs...they're so creepy!
Wow! I've never seen you this afraid of anything.

I wonder if that extends to mantis shrimp? They're pretty rainbowy.

I wanted you to see this place. Just look at all of these flowers!

As tempted as I am to be an rear end in a top hat, let's not.

It's...really wonderful..Thank you for bringing me here.

Although Link's doing a good job of sounding unenthusiastic anyway.

Really? I'm so glad that you like it! I like to come here sometimes and.give the flowers a little water. And...sometimes I talk to them too. What I'm feeling, whatever I'm thinking about...I tell them everything. I know they're just plants, and they.can't understand what I'm saying. But talking to them somehow makes me feel better anyway.
I'll bet these flowers are so pretty.because of you, Shara.
What?
You've given them so much care and.attention. No wonder this field is full of beautiful flowers!
Thank you...That's very sweet of you to say. Well, I should go home.
I'll walk you there.
Oh, don't worry about it...We can save that for another date.
Ha ha...
Thank you for today. I'll see you soon.

I don't hate Shara, I just find her soulcrushingly boring. But maybe you readers will feel differently?

Next!

I don't wish to eat!
All right, then. I'll just be going--
That's why I requested.you bring me something to eat! Oh, but it must be something cooked or prepared!
Wait, what?! So...you WANT to eat, then?
No!
Which is it? Make up your mind!

Stop it with that stupid opposite-speak! No one ever knows what you want!
I don't understand.
Anyway, I apologize profusely. I'm sorry, Link. I'm sure you hate having to listen to my sister's babbling.
No, it's okay. So...what does she want me to do, exactly?
Well, when she says "no," she really means "yes."
That's simple enough. So I just need to bring you something cooked, Sofia?
You're an idiot. Of course that's not what I meant! So now that you know, hurry up and get it!
I don't think you needed to berate me like that! But I'll bring you what you, uh, "don't want."

One Pickled Turnip to the rescue!

Does this work for you?
Absolutely not! I'm utterly famished!
So...I guess I did a good job, then?
Here's a reward for your troubles!

I thank you profusely. Now I don't EVER want to see your loathsome face ever again!
THAT'S the thanks I get?!
Link! Think about it, you ninny. It's the opposite!
Oh, duh! Okay, see ya again soon!
If you ever come back, I'll beat you down with a.rusty hoe!
I really hope that's the.opposite-speak talking...

I love this hosed-up family.

Sofia, you don't have to speak in opposites AND be cruel at the same time!
I don't think I'll ever understand this family...

You're supposed to cook them before you eat them, Rusk.

Because I'm a bath!
Ummm...?

>I like them too.

Ahhh! Oh, you're so forward!
What?! How?!

>Do you like me?

Yup!
What?!
I think I do. Like baths just like you!
Oh...right.

Another day of combat earns me the actually good spear skill.

It's not quite as devastating as the RF4 spear charge skill, but it'll do. Unfortunately, it eats up quite a bit of RP, and...

I'm going to be so hosed once Marjorie starts charging for treatment.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zebrin posted:

Ahh, Pia sadly isn't a tsukumogami... In fact, it is really obvious what she actually is. When she is outside in the rain she transforms into it.
Unfortunately for me, I've had the worst luck catching her in the rain. Partially because I haven't gotten much rain, partially because villagers usually run inside whenever it starts raining.

I think in my first playthrough it took until Summer or Fall for the weather to align in my favor.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
There are some randomly generated quests which want you to kill X amount of a certain monster, or ship a specific item, or other trivial things. There's not much reason to take them if you have non-random requests you can do, since you're limited in how many you can take per day. You also need to do all of a bachelorette's quests before you can marry her.

(Speaking of, we'll deal with marriage voting once more of them are close to 7 hearts. Right now everyone's at 2 or 3 hearts.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That's So Raven

Music: Home

Let's see what Daria's up to today.

Oh no. I have to hurry again? Hey, when your request said that you needed your assistant, did you mean me?
You bet I did! Who else could I trust to help me get paints?
*sigh* I'm still not sure I'm your...
What am I going to do without paints? If I can't paint soon, I'll die!
That seems a little melodramatic.
I need Red Grass, Yellow Grass, and Orange Grass.
3 different kinds?
You're my assistant! Assistants don't complain, they get things done! Get those grasses before I die!
I'm still not so sure about this "assistant" business.

Guess what I have huge piles of in my backpack?

I can paint once again! I owe you my life.
No need to go that far.
Maybe I did overreact a little.
Anyway, here's your reward!
Thank you very much.
I'll have something else for you to do soon! Farewell, my dear assistant!

Bronze is the next tier of metal we can mine. Don't think too hard about how that works when bronze is an alloy.

Yep! You can eat them, and they'll replenish some of your RP. Everyone in town says that our flowers taste surprisingly good!

That's a thing I'll do basically never, since I don't grow flowers much & cooked food is superior most of the time.

F-Fish?!
Sure! Now anyone who loves fish will also love you.

Nothing better than smelling like fish all day, right? This is actually one of the more useful colognes - Carlos, Carmen, Pia, Sakuya, & Shino all like it.

Might as well get this out of the way while I have iron.

Oh, she already has iron. Well, I'll just be going th-

Nevermind.

What? O-Okay. (It's unusual for her to ask for a favor like this.) Where's Gaius?
He needed more iron...
Ah, so he went to get some more iron?
Hm? What's wrong?
Hurry...
Oh, sorry!

Link walks off, but then...

Raven! Are you okay?!
I'm fine...
You're burning up! I think you have a fever!

Oh no, it's a terminal case of ellipses disease!

No, I'm fine...I was just near the forge earlier...
Raven, this is no joke! C'mon, let's head over to the apothecary!
No.
Raven...Well, at the very least, you should lie down and try to get some rest!
I can't...
Why not?!
The store...
What?
I need to watch over the store...
...! Raven!

She fainted...Let me take her to bed.

Man, she's so stubborn.

Ah, I guess I should check the prices of everything on sale. Let's see... Here's a list of the prices.

This might actually be hard to remember if I wasn't screenshotting everything. :v:

Got it! Okay, let's go!

Traveler: Let's see...do you have a Cheap Bracelet?
I-Indeed we do! Just one moment, please!...Here you go! That'll be...

Not getting the money for it, no interest in overcharging.

Traveler: All right, here's the money.
Thank you very much! Please come again!.......Whew... I guess I did that right...

O-okay!
Traveler: Hey, kid! Hurry up! I ain't got all day!
S-Sorry!

Sadly there's no option to overcharge the rear end in a top hat.

Traveler:Thanks, kid! You look like a hard worker! I'll be back soon!
Th-Thank you very much! (Wow. Raven must not be much of a salesperson...)

Huh? What are you doing here...?
Oh, well, you see, I...
Uh...Never mind...
What?
I'm kinda in a rush. (And I don't really care...)
I...I see.
Ah, there's my order. I've already paid.
Oh, you paid in advance...?
Yep. See you...
There she goes...Maybe I should have taken Raven to the apothecary. I guess she wouldn't have listened to me anyway, though...

Reminder that I am, in fact, cutting out about half the ellipses in the text.

Gaius. :allears:

N-No, it's actually ME, Gaius!
Yeah, I figured.
So, where's Raven, then?
She got a cold, so she's sleeping upstairs.
I see.
(Huh...Gaius doesn't seem too worried about Raven.)

Raven?!

I'm fine...
You're bright red, Raven.
I'm...fine... I'll do it...
Raven, no!
It's my job...
But...Gaius, help me out! Huh?

What are you doing, Gaius?
Closing the store.
What?
There we go. All closed. Let's go to the apothecary now.
But...
The store's closed, so there's no work to do. I'll go on ahead.
Let's go to the apothecary, Raven.

Use your words. You can do it.

Um...
What is it, Raven?
...Never mind...

*sigh*...Raven's so stubborn. But it looks like it worked out in the end.

Yes, we get booted out before we can collect the reward. Good thing it doesn't despawn. But since Pia's standing right there...

I don't like the rain!
You hate the rain?
I don't like the rain! I can't stand the rain rain rain!
Huh? You're just singing?!

Ooo. Silver is a tier above the bronze we got earlier, which is neat but also means we won't be using it for a while. (nevermind that we haven't even unlocked the forge yet)

Raven is up and healthy again, so let's talk to her! Who knew the apothecary invented the cure for the common cold?

When I looked outside to see what it was...
...!
Huh? What's the matter?
...Nothing...

And now to make the rounds.

But Carlos is probably going to get married some day...

I regret this decision.

In RF3, you waste the recipe bread if your skill is too low to learn anything new. Because that's good game design and not just frustrating.

Fishing contest coming up soon. Maybe I should actually train my fishing skill.

After this request, of course.

And this cologne.

Iron?!
Yes. I made this one for Gaius, but thought you'd like to try it.

Gaius & Raven like this scent. I'm just as surprised as you are.

Monica told me she wants a Cheap Bracelet. I'd buy it at the blacksmith's, but I don't want Shara finding out. She already says I spoil Monica. So I was hoping you could get one for me.
I see...
Can you do it?
Sure, no problem.
Excellent. Thank you.

Oh, that's boring.

>No.

Love is nice, isn't it?!

Sorry, no wooing Gaius. :(

I would never, EVER deign to wear Evelyn's designs, even if they were the last garments on earth! And when I told Evelyn how I truly felt, she ran out of the house, sobbing! Was it something I said?
I think that's a safe bet.

OK, I can understand Link having some weirdness with whether or not he gets the oppositespeak, since it's earlygame and who knows what the player's seen. But Evelyn's related to these people. She's the one that explained this poo poo last update! Why is she misunderstanding it?!

Pictured: The wrong way to get the bracelet to Monica. (Although it's a loved gift, so at least you get some good out of it)

The right way is giving it to Wells. I guess buying it himself isn't secret enough, but giving it to her himself is fine?

Hm, not bad. Sorry to ask you to do this, Link.
Hey, no problem.
Here, take some Chocolate Cake for your trouble.
Are you sure?
I actually don't like chocolate cake very much. So you're doing me another favor by taking it.
That's something I can always help you out with! I hope Monica likes the bracelet.
She'll be so excited when she sees it.

Why did Wells just have a slice of cake to give out? Don't ask, just eat.

Next!

Do I ever! I need you to bring me Squid!
Uh...I don't think squid and bathwater mix, Pia.
Says who?!
Says me! I've never heard of anyone bathing with squid!
That's what YOU think, dude! Just wait till you bring back the squid! You don't know what you're missin'!
I, uh...can't wait.
You don't hafta tell me! Who COULD wait for a squid bath?!

Squid are spring catches and found all over the loving place, so let's get to it.

That doesn't mean you'll catch one quickly, mind you.

Collette just...falls over, sometimes. Don't ask.

Is anyone else invited to the party?
Of course! But the food's all MINE!

Dammit, I don't have all day here. Let's try switching up the location.

Outside the inn is actually a decent place to fish, since the fish are densely packed enough that it goes faster.

Reminder that this game is rated E for Everyone.

Uh...those are words I never thought I'd hear. But thanks!
Bad news, though!
What's the matter?
I just remembered something Sakuya told me! I told her I wanted to put squid ink in the baths, but she said it'd just stain people's skin!
Well...duh!
I guess the world just isn't ready for my genius quite yet! But it's all good! I'll just gnaw on this Squid for din-din tonight!
Huh? Oh, that's right. You like to eat squid, don't you?
Yes! This one time, I heard a story called "The Squid and the Tuna." The tuna was just swimming along, minding its own business, when--KA-BLAAAM! A giant squid CHOMPED it down! So you see, squids are evil. I will eat them. I will eat them ALL.
I...see. Good luck with that.
Well, I'll take my revenge later tonight! Here's a token of my appreciation! And I hope you bring more squids to me. I will exterminate their evil, one by one.

Godspeed, Pia. I don't even want to know where you got an egg the size of Link.

But they're the perfect.form of BATH transportation!
Uh, do you even need to.navigate your way around a bath...?

So, we haven't actually seen Pia in the rain yet, so Link has no reason to know she turns into a mermaid when wet. Dialogue consistency. :argh:

I'm spoiling this now because I've had the worst damned luck with actually catching her in the rain, and there's no reason for this to remain a semi-mystery for this long.

Then the Sharance Tree--
No.

>I don't know.

Heh...It seems my art is beyond your comprehension.

Yes. Totally.

Hey look, I made it to bed without fainting for once!

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 22, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The Golden Fleece

Wake up, water plants, enter a competition of some sort against Collette, blah blah.

And get reminded about tomorrow's festival. Thankfully, there are no inhumanly-good-at-fishing jerk villagers in RF3.

I didn't forget I was going to show all of these off. I just temporarily didn't remember.

Wait, what?!

There's also a free squid in the bath. Obviously Sakuya's doing.

I donate the squid to the Pia foundation, and get a not-so-subtle hint that she likes fruits too.

I'm sick of mass-producing pickled turnips, so it's time to buy the rest of the basic cooking gear. The knife is for mass-producing sashimi from fish. The frying pan fries things. The mixer makes a variety of drinks, and also butter & cheese for some reason.

Buying all the basic appliances unlocks the advanced ones, but...

...they're expensive as gently caress. Oh well, they can wait.

You got a geranium in your cranium, buddy? Who said anything about an eating contest?!
What? It's not an eating contest?
DUH! What, you think I just eat ALL THE TIME or something? You don't pay too much attention, do you? We're gonna have a cooking battle! Using all our senses, skills, and creativity, we'll tackle the secret ingredient of the day!
Ah, sorry. I mean, I just assumed that because it was YOU, that--
Don't you DARE make a prejudiced comment against my metabolism! It holds grudges, you know!
I'll keep that in mind! So, what are we making, then?
We unveil the ingredient! Today's theme is...Rice Ball!
Rice Ball...
I want to see artistic creations never seen before! You show me what you've cooked...and I'll tell you how you did!
Wait, don't tell me you're going to be cooking AND judging?!
Of course! I'm the Chairwoman of this cooking field of battle! I can't just ignore a responsibility like that!
Uh, who exactly elected you "Chairwoman"? But sure, I'll bring my dish when it's ready!

On my way to buy some rice for those rice balls, I make a pit stop at the flower shop.

This is one contest where it's worth hearing the rules the day before, because there's a time limit involved! If you're serious about winning, you'll start as soon as possible and talk to Wells as close to 6PM as possible.

And now it's cologne time.

How do sparkles smell?
I'm not sure. Monica named this one.

Sakuya, Monica, and Karina like this one.

Is there a festival tomorrow? Possibly about fishing?

Aside from the rice ball, I make a bunch of Bamboo Rices to grind Cooking skill. Bamboo Rice is the big use for all that spring bamboo.

I make some failed dishes and a Super Fail(like a failed dish, only even worse somehow) along the way. Believe or not, these have a use!

What could be more useful?! This is the absolute worst! I really hate these! I'd like to have some more sometime.

Super Fails are one of Sofia's loved items(the other, Rare Can, is a pain to get). Failed Dishes are one of her liked items, along with garbage nobody else wants like Weeds and Scrap Metal.

Oh, it's beautiful.
So, I assume your dish is ready as well?
Oh, uh...Yeah, of course! I've been slaving away, crafting artistic dishes never tasted before! But we'll get to yours first!
I think you should go ahead. It sounds like you worked really hard on it!
Nope! The challenger goes first! Chairwoman's orders!
Okay, go ahead and try it, then!
*SCARF SCARF* What are these...flavors? These...smells? I've never tasted anything like it! My fantasy has become reality! You are truly a culinary artist worthy of being in anybody's hall of fame!
Wow, you really thought it was that good? So, are you gonna show me your dish?
Yeah, well, yours was so good, there's no point in tasting mine! The verdict's in! I lost! The Chairwoman has spoken!
No point? Shouldn't you at least show me what you made?
No, it's cool! I lost! You gain the people's ovation and fame forever! Oh, and this!
Uh, thanks!
Well, I gotta run, but I'll get in touch when I need to use-- Er, I mean, SPEAK to you again! (Whew...)
(Heh heh. He'll never know I was just tricking him into cooking for me! Sorry, Link, but a girl's gotta eat!)

It was a single rice ball. It would have been less effort to go make one yourself. Sheesh.

Ooo. Strawberries are our first regrowing crop - once they reach maturity, they produce more fruit every 2 days after harvest. It's a bit late in the season to plant them in our main field, but that's what dungeon fields are for. Privera Forest is always spring, making it an ideal spot for these seeds.

Might as well stick to a theme today.

Please don't bring me an ingredient for either Fried Blowfish, Chocolate Cookie, or Dried Sardines.
Just one?
Yes. You don't have to only bring me one. Also, it shouldn't satisfy my hunger.
...?
Then, bad luck!

Go to general store, buy chocolate, go back. Hazel's making out like a bandit today.

Ummm...
Huh? Was this not right?
No! You pass, Link! You can't be promoted to chef-in-training!
Umm...
Oh, I almost forgot. This isn't your reward for today.

Always indulge the whims of the gluttonous rich. :toot:

Thank you.
Next time, you won't be in charge of cooking!
Umm...I-I'll do my best.
I'm not expecting much!
Ha ha...Ah...

Sherman fact: His Japanese name is Donchacos Jalapeño Viviaaju. To unsubscribe from Sherman Facts, text STOP.

You know, I can't help but think I'm forgetting something.

Oh right, this farming/social interaction sim has an RPG in it. With bosses. Well, that little thing doesn't look too dangerous.

Oh.

Boss Music

The Raccoon has a few tricks up its sleeve. The first is this ground pounding attack. It'll jump in the air, and damage you if you're caught in the shockwave when it lands. It can also stand in place and stop, releasing a smaller shockwave with each foot. That's a good chance to hit it, and part of the reason I switched to the spear - the hammer is just too slow for this fight.

It also shoots out leaves that fly around in an arc.

In Rune Factory Tradition, it turns red when you damage it enough, ramping up its attack speed and changing its attack pattern slightly.

It gains this illusion move. You can damage the real one if you hit it, but you'll mostly want to stand in the center in case it goes directly to the stomping attack.

It's not a hard boss at all as long as you're using a decently fast weapon & remembered to buy armor before taking it on. Bring a Recovery Potion or two just in case.

I got lucky and had it drop its crafting item. The int-6 would be a problem if I was casting spells, but I'm not.

It looks strangely familiar. I feel like I should touch it.

Touching random mystical orbs never goes wrong, right?

See? We didn't die. This time.

But we got sent to Flashback Hell, which is almost as bad.

Past-Link: Okay, Dad! ...wow! It worked! Mom! Mom! Take a look at this!

And this spell lets me transform!

This might be shocking if our monster form wasn't on the cover art. And if we didn't start with a mysterious Transform spell whose description said it turned us into a Wooly.

Insert magical girl transformation music of your choice here.

Let's see....Once I've knocked down an enemy, I can press A to pick it up. Then I can perform a special.throwing attack by pressing A, B, X, or Y. Each button is a different throwing attack. If I aim right, I should even be able to hit other monsters with my throwing attacks.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Link is a wrestlesheep.

I probably shouldn't let anyone in town know that I can turn into a monster. They might think it's weird. I'll keep it to myself for now. Hmm...Touching that orb brought back some of my memories. But so much of my past is still blank. Maybe I can find more orbs like that one.

Hey, that new guy's not a faceless NPC! After him!

Whoever that is, they're headed into Sol Terrano Desert.

Wells? What are you doing here?
You weren't thinking of going into that desert, were you?
Yeah, I thought I saw...
Well, don't even think about it! There's nothing but monsters in there!
Huh? But there are monsters EVERYWHERE. What makes this place any different?

That was strange.

Rebelling against authority is a very good reason in my books.

So is advancing the plot.

Wrestlesheep mode is ideal for getting through here quickly. You attack fast, you hit hard, you get better at wrestling, and you get to dropkick things. What's not to love?

That'll do, sheep. That'll do.

Keep following the tracks in the sand, and...

"C-Comrade"?
Oh, don't worry. It simply means we're cohorts-in-arms! Proud patriots! I'm Kuruna, the proud elder of Univir Settlement. My duty is to defend this land with my blood. What's yours, comrade?
Um, I'm Link. My duty is to, uh, travel! I guess. I never knew there was a settlement here...
My proud, advanced ancestors built this settlement, an oasis against savage aggression. We univir and other monsters who hate the Hornless have all gathered together here.
Are humans really deserving of all that hatred...?
Hornless are to be NOTHING but hated, comrade.
I don't know...
Well, you must have your reasons. An elder should not be so insensitive.
Well, if you say so.
I can see it in your eyes, comrade. You yearn to join us! Know that you are welcome here...always.

We've found a settlement of communist desert monsters. Great!

Kuruna gets an entry in the villager affection list, so she's here as more than a walking plot point. In fact, she's actually one of the bachelorettes.

Isn't it? Perhaps you should move here.
I appreciate the offer, but I'm fine.
Honestly...The humans out there are so dangerous.
Do you really hate humans that much?
Of course. Do you know the town that is nearby?
Oh, yes. What about it?
The people there ran us univir out of their town!
Really?!
Yes, univir and humans used to live together.
Did something happen?
I am not sure.
I don't know the reason. It was before I was born. But we were exiled, and now we live here. They are all savages! So you should be careful not to wander too much outside. The humans might do something to you.
(She really hates them. I wonder what happened. Maybe Wells knows something.)

Sounds like a plot pointer if I've ever heard one. But Kuruna's not the only one here, so let's check this place out.

Ah, I see. I'm Ondorus. Welcome to our settlement, Link.
I never expected to find a camp of monsters living together like this.
Not all monsters behave like mindless, rampaging beasts, you know. Some of us can be quite civilized. We univir are actually quite similar to humans, you know. How do you feel about humans?
I think some of them are actually pretty nice.
I am glad. Monsters and humans should keep an open mind about each other. Oh, but don't tell the elder that I said that. She does not like humans.
Yeah, I noticed. She isn't shy about letting people know.
Well, it's good to meet you. I hope I'll be seeing more of you around here.

What a nerd.

I'm Link.
I'm Zaid! Check out my beautiful silver eyes! Amazing, right?
Um, yeah. I guess.
They're unique to my tribe. No other dwarves have our gleaming silver eyes!
Wait, you're a dwarf?!
Sure I am! What's surprising about that?
Um...Aren't dwarves usually short and hairy with big, braided beards?
What?! That's just an old stereotype! Most dwarves are normal height, and prefer not to have ridiculous facial hair.
Oh. I stand corrected. A-Anyway, it's nice to meet you, Zaid.
Good to meet you too. Just don't forget what you learned about dwarves today!

Zaid: Not actually as cool as the other dwarf in this game.

There's a mysterious stone wall blocking the way to the north...

...and a request owl. God help me when I start having to fit three requests a day into these updates. I'll probably limit it to two most days, just to keep update length under control.

That's all there is to see here, so let's head back home.

If you go back to the first update & compare, it really did grow!

Isn't it past your bedtime?

Have you been feeding the Sharance.Tree a special fertilizer or something?
No, I didn't do anything.
What could have caused this, then?
Um, Wells. Did you know about the univir's camp?
Yes.
Is that why you told me not to go into the desert?
Yes. I didn't want you to run into that camp of human-hating monsters. I'll bet their elder kicked you out the second she laid eyes on you.
Huh? Oh, yeah! S-She sure did. Because I looked totally human, of course.
I thought so.
Though the elder did say something about how the univir lived in this town until they were chased out. Do you know anything about that?
All I know is that happened a long, long time ago. There aren't any records of what happened or why.
I see...
Link.
Yes?
Don't do anything foolish.
What?
We're better off without the univir.
But...
Humans and monsters were never meant to live together. It's just not natural.

But why do they hate each other so much? Maybe I should go talk to Kuruna again.

Two sets of people who hate each other but have long forgotten why? It's a cliche, Link, just roll with it.

A staircase...the tree...grew a new room? I should take a look.

:frogout:

Link! This is amazing! The Sharance Tree grew a 2nd floor!
Weird, isn't it?
It's amazing! I've always known the Sharance Tree was special, but I had no idea it could do something like this.
Yeah.
But it's a nice room, isn't it?
Yeah. I just hope it doesn't disappear as fast as it appeared!
I'm sure this room is here to stay. Why don't you make it your work area?
Work area?
Sure! You need a place where you can craft things, right?
That would be pretty handy.
You should be able to fit a forge up here. Also a pharmacy and a workshop! Ask around at shops and they should be able to sell you what you need to get started.
Gotcha. I'll go visit them later.
Great! This room gives you so many exciting new possibilities!
Yeah! I can't wait to try crafting something!
Glad to hear it! I can't wait to see what you make! Oops! And sorry to barge in on you like this. I got so excited about the Sharance Tree growing, I had to come in and see. I hope you don't mind.

Yes, we can finally craft things! The pharmacy lets you make medicines & fertilizers, the forge lets you make weapons, and the workshop lets you make accessories & armor. The forge and workshop are both pretty critical to keeping up with the power curve, so they're higher priorities.

But for now, Link rests.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 22, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
What are you talking about? I didn't accidentally call Link by the wrong name. You're imagining things. :ninja:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

CptWedgie posted:

Are you varying your weapons much offscreen, or are you exclusively using the spear? After all, there's more than one size of sword, and LoZ Link's known for using shields too, along with pretty much everything else (even if shields in the Zelda series have been only situationally useful for years now due to requiring a separate button just to use them as anything more than a decoration... but then everything else has been nerfed to hell there, too, to the point where, to the best of my knowledge, the only game released within the last decade where items other than the bow, bombs, and sword are usable longer than just one dungeon and a "final review area" is Link Between Worlds).
What you're seeing is what I've been using. Don't worry, I'll switch up the weapons over time. But there's a lot of different types to show off, and I figured it was important to get past the first boss before going too nuts.

I'll admit I have a soft spot for the spear for how good it is in RF4, though. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's Not Easy Being Green

Music: Festival

Today's the first festival I actually have a chance of winning!

Because of the way this festival works, I won't have time for normal requests today. So let's check out how a 'simple request' works.

Have some if you like.
Huh? That's it?
Yes. Let me know how you liked it.
Okay. Thanks.

Randomly generated quests like this aren't exactly riveting, but you can get decent rewards. A roasted yam isn't bad at all for just talking to Rusk.

And now it's time for the contest.

I... I'll be sure to remember that.

I decide to use the inn pond as my fishing spot for the same reasons I used it for Pia's squid request - it's such a small space that fish aren't likely to swim out of range.

Ooo. I'm saving this for Reasons.

After a long day of fishing, 5PM hits. Let's wrap this up.

Thank you very much!

Monica got second place with 14, and Carmen got third place with 9. You'd think the two fishing-focused villagers would do better, but I'm not complaining.

The prize is a shitton of cooking bread. Not complaining about that either.

Just be careful what you say to Pia.
Yeah, I'll be sure to tell her I let all the fish go.

Yup. I definitely won't be making sashimi out of all of them. Totally.

Try catching more than nine fish next time.

Not that I care...I'm not...jealous or anything...
O-Okay.

As an aside, this is what happens if you try to transform around others. No gameplay/narrative dissonance here!

One cute touch with cooking is that each appliance has its own animation. Now if only Link could figure out how to make things in bulk so I didn't have to see the animation 500 times.

Then again, this is a man who can sashimi so hard he passes out. I guess he's not ready for that power.

Here's where villager affection stands. Everyone is fairly even except our new monster friends. No surprise there.

New day, time for a real request.

A rare glimspe of a villager's full outfit. I'm not sure she has enough belts.

I want to add some faux fur here! It would really make it "pop."
That could be nice.
Maybe a bit here, too!
Um, Evelyn?
Huh, Link. What's the matter?
Oh, I called him here. I need Link to get some things for me. Can you handle that?
Sure thing. What did you need me to bring?
I need some Wood! Around 3. Can you do that?
Wood for...clothing?
It's faux fur. (Of course.)
Yes. It's for faux fur.
Well I'm not sure how you're gonna make faux fur outta that, but okay.
Prepare to be dazzled! And can you get a shade stone from Marian for me?
Sure!

At least someone believes in her?

I see! Then do you prefer a shot or medication? Definitely a shot, right?!
NO, that's not it!
What? What is it?
I'm not sick, Evelyn asked me to get a shade stone from you.
Oh....Why didn't you just say so? How misleading.
But I've been trying to say that from the start.
I've got a shade stone on me right now. Here you go! But I wonder what she plans on doing with it?
Well, she asked me for Wood, and she said it was clothing material. Faux fur, I think she said.
Oh, I see.
What? You know something?
Yes. Well, faux fur is exactly how it sounds. I think I've heard of a technique to extract fibers from Wood--
Oh, so that's why.
But I never thought such a rural town would have a device that could do it.
I see. Maybe the ore is the key to something.
Well, be that as it may, come by if something happens. I'll be polishing my syringe.
I'll pray that nothing happens.

Mysterious. Also an item that only exists for this quest, if I remember right.

Huh? Isn't that kind of pointless?
I'm not really sure. Some people like it, though. I just can't figure out why.

Evelyn, Sherman, and Sofia hate scentless cologne.

Like so.

I, uh, can't wait to see the finished product.
Now I just need to put this on top of the fur!
Why would you do that?
What's the matter? (What a funny face.)
It just...doesn't make sense.
What's the matter? I'm putting my materials to their best possible uses!
But don't you use faux fur as a replacement for...uh, fur?
Yeah, but then I'd just ask you for fur!
Uh...if you say so.
My assistant fashionista has come through again! Here's a reward for your troubles!

:toot:

Well, I'll call you when I need your consulting again!
I...can't wait.

While we're over this way, Evelyn has outfits for sale.

I know what I have to do.

There we go. Sadly, it only chages the overworld model.

No, Link doesn't actually keep his clothes in a pot. It's in a dresser underneath a flowerpot. Words. :argh:

I think that would kill off even faux fur!

Next!

Medicine. I carelessly mixed up prescriptions, so I want you to exchange it. Oh, the medicine I gave her first might cause her to explode. So be careful.
E-Explode...? How do you make exploding medicine?!
Well, good luck!
She's not listening...

Why does anyone trust Marian around needles & chemicals, again?

Oh, I can't wait to drink it.
Huh?! (I need to give Collette her real medicine before she explodes!)

You have to manually hand Collette the medicine because, I dunno, game programming is hard or something.

Th-that was a close one...
I'm glad you didn't explode.
Thanks, Link. Well, could you go throw away this dangerous medicine somewhere?

Sure thing.

Wait, this is a real item. That probably won't make Link explode. Oh well, I'm sure it's not important.

A rumbling happens as Link goes back to the pharmacy. No points for guessing what happened.

I have a bad feeling about this...

I blew up when I took my medicine. I thought you switched the medicine out.

You don't look very exploded. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Oh?
Is that...?
Well, it happens.
What?! That's it?!
Oh, that's right. Here you go.
Umm...
Don't worry about me. This is what usually happens.
I-I see.

Hooray?

The forge, pharmacy, and workshop all require a fair amount of wood. I grab the pharmacy first because it's right here.

Why did you defeat the monster in Privera Forest?
Well, it seemed like it was causing problems for everyone. I really wish I hadn't had to.
Even though it was a monster?
Well, it's not like all monsters are bad or anything.
I see...We can build you a monster barn if you give us some of your wood.
A monster barn?
Just talk to Gaius or me when we're working.
Wait... I'm still confused.

It's a barn. For monsters. What else is there to explain?

Forge? Workshop? Who needs that stuff when we can get monsters!

Monsters will come home with you if you give them food.
Oh, really? Thanks, I'll try it out!
But they won't befriend you if they think you are weaker than they are...so, don't get eaten by mistake...
I...I'll be careful.

Raven's a filthy liar. You can befriend monsters by shoving any kind of item at them, although monsters may have a specific item they like more than others. For the most part I'll be shoveling grasses at them.

Once we actually have some monsters, we'll want a stock of grass(seeds bought from the flower shop, not to be confused with colored grass) to help raise their affection.

But for today, I chop a lot of wood to get the Forge and Workshop. Crafting becomes very important very quickly. Even if you don't really know how to minmax the system, there's a huge difference between stock weapons/armor and stuff you've upgraded.

Like giving something Sofia hates to someone and have them give it to her.
You haven't tried it, have you?
Oh, I wonder. (That was so funny.)

No risk of death or dismemberment? 0/10, would not It's Just A Prank Bro again.

Good enough for today.

:siren: Name suggestion/voting time! :siren:

Since Link has a monster barn now, it's time to grab some monsters. I need names for:

-A wooly(sheep, only not. Link turns into one in case you forgot what they look like.)
-Buffamoo(cows, only not. I'll probably grab two since milk is useful for cooking.)

Sadly, the Chickens, Only Not come a lot later than the other two.

If no one name gains a lot of traction, I'll just pick whatever's funniest. Character limit is 6.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 21, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

Let's go with Sheared for the Wolly, and Salisbury for the Buffamoo.
Oops, knew I forgot something.

Character limit is 6. I mean, I guess you can vote for longer names if you want, but then you might end up with a Buffamoo named Salisb. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The monster barn & crafting stations magically appear the instant you buy them.

Just don't think too hard about how that works.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Stone Cold Sheep Austin

Let's see what Raven's up to today.

And get some recognition for beating up a tanuki raccoon.

Ummm...
...I'll be back soon.
Hm...ah. This iron is being stubborn.
Let's go.
What? Really?
This is part of the job.
Job? Oh, today's request?
We repaired Sofia's item, so we're going to deliver it.
I see.
Let's go already.
Oh, okay.

Raven has joined the party! :confuoot:

On the way there...

Wait, you did what?

I guess that's one way to let us know about her birthday.

This pendant...!
I fixed it, so I brought it back.
My! How terrible! I'm very sad right now!
Ha ha...
It is a very important pendant. I'm so unhappy it's fixed. Thank you, Raven.
...It's just my job.
But why is Link with you? And you said that you never make deliveries.
What? Is that right?
...I'm going home.
Oh, okay.

Raven doesn't leave yet, since we have to walk her back for...some reason.

Hmmm...ah, I see. Interesting.
You're actually pretty earnest.

That right there is the face of "you done hosed up".

Oh...ha ha ha.

Well, this has been a weird quest, but Raven's back to work, so I guess we should lea-

Wait a minute.

What?
Your reward. You helped me.
Th-Thank you.
...Thank you.
Huh...?

I'm not sure how we helped, but free ore is free ore.

Might as well grab the last crafting stations while I'm here.

We'll build it right away, then.
Will it be done by tomorrow?
I told you. We'll build it right away.
Um...O-Okay. Thank you...
Oh, and take these, too...

Buying the forge gets us a few free weapon breads. Too bad the pharmacy and workshop didn't do something like that.

We'll build it as fast as we can.
How long will it take?
As long as it takes.
I... I see. Thank you.

:allears:

Spoilers: It's another fishing quest.

Very good then! So why don't you show me how you've improved. I'm sure you're still pretty bad, so...You can just bring me 2 types of summer fish. You can catch them in Sol Terrano Desert. But be careful of the monsters. That's all! Now get to fishing!
What?! Already?
Of course! Your master's words are absolute! Now hop to it!

*PUNCH PUNCH*

Ouch! Okay...
I look forward to seeing how much you've improved! See ya!
I really feel pressured.

Yes, Carmen's punches take off 2 HP this time too. I have no idea who decided to put such a minor detail in the game but I kind of love it.

Thankfully you get a fishing spot in the first screen of the desert. Get rid of the monsters & spawner and you're good to go.

Good enough.

Some cucumber seeds drop as I clear the nearby field. These are a summer crop, and like strawberries, they keep producing after harvest. Might as well plant them since I'll be running through here so often anyway.

Good work! Well, here's a treat from your master!
Thank you.
Keep on practicing! Now, dismissed!
(Ha ha. What a scary master...)

Food's always a good reward.

And now it's time to get some monsters.

Music: Privera Forest

How to make friends with monsters:

Step one: Have a stack of some nearly-worthless item. (It can't cause damage when eaten or else it won't count as a gift, so no using weeds for this!)

Step two: Shove that stack in the monster's face. For monsters more aggressive than a Wooly, you may end up throwing it. Repeat until...

...the RNG decides to let you have a monster.

Step three: Give it a better name than whatever dumb one the game suggests.

Some monsters are ridable, but the option shows up whether or not the current one actually is. It's...something.

I send Micah back to the barn so he doesn't die repeatedly while I try to tame some Buffamoo.

This idiot buffamoo poisoned itself by walking on a poison tile. Let's help it out.

Bessy? Hmm, no, we can do better.

There.

I tried to get a second one, but I started running out of trash items & it was getting late. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Head back to the fields after getting some monsters, and...

Does nobody in this town sleep?

Yep!
You're just like Raven, Link. Monsters seem to like you guys for some reason. Oh, that's right...you only know how to befriend monsters. You don't know anything else, like how to take care of them, right?
That's correct.
All right. Well, today I'll teach you how to take care of monsters, then.
Thanks!
But I'm bad at explaining things. I don't know where to start. So, um, what do you want to know?

tl;drs of each one:

How to raise: Give gifts to them to raise their stats. Only the first gift each day helps.

How to befriend: Feed your monsters every day. If you don't, they won't like you, their HP won't recover, and they won't spawn their products(ie. a Wooly won't make wool). You need one piece of grass per room of monsters per day. Also remember to brush them once a day.

How monsters help you: Monsters can be brought with you to fight in dungeons. Some monsters let you ride them. You can also assign monsters to work in the fields. Sowing seeds costs money, watering & harvesting are free. (I'll probably only use the watering help, since I like knowing what's growing in my field & what's getting shipped) Monsters work better the more they like you.

Oh, that's right. Raven wanted you to have these.
What are they?
It's a Brush and Clippers. They're for taking care of your monsters.
How are they used?
The Brush is used for brushing your monsters, and the Clippers are for shearing fur from woolies.
Sh-Shearing...?
Hm? You look like you're shaking, Link. Is something wrong?
Oh, um...it's nothing.
Okay. Anyway, you should brush your monsters frequently. All monsters seem to enjoy a nice brushing. Oh, and here's some Grass for you, too.
Thank you very much. Oh, and please tell Raven that I said thanks for all the help.
Sure thing.

This gives me plenty of leeway to buy some grass seeds and get them growing. I sell the clippers since I already had one from a Wooly drop.

Monsters spawn drops once a day. If they're newly tamed, they'll produce their wool/milk/whatever too. I have no idea how Buffamoo make milk in nice little cartons, but it beats having to lug around a milker.

On top of the daily wool production, you can shear Woolies to get a couple extra pieces of fleece. They don't seem to mind it as much as Link does.

The notebook in the barn is where you check monster friendship levels, stats, and assign them to work in the fields. Salisb starts at a higher level than Micah, but neither of them are really intended for combat.

Speaking of monsters, the Wooly festival is coming up. Clearly Link is a shoo-in here.

But that's tomorrow. For now, let's check out our new crafting stations. I'm not sure of the wisdom of having a forge in the middle of a literal tree house, but Wells insists it's fireproof, so...

One nice thing about the non-cooking stations is that failures don't waste your ingredients. This will be very handy for grinding skills later on.

You can make base weapons with simple materials, but more advanced weapons need you to make lower-level weapons first.

The hell are you doing out here! Get back in your hovel! :argh:

(Monsters will let themselves outside sometimes. They won't do anything unless you assigned them a job, so this is just an annoyance.)

Today's round of Buffamoo wrangling goes much more smoothly.

If you ride a monster, your attack is replaced with its basic melee attack. Sorry, no jousting from cowback.

Oh, yes. Yes we are.

Every villager has a unique reaction to seeing Link in his Wooly form. Thankfully none of them involve trying to murder him.

Not sure what I was expecting there.

Bah.
... (I probably shouldn't...)

A lot of these are just variations on "oh, cute, a wooly." I'm sticking to the most interesting reactions.

:3:

I think someone needs a break from forging.

If you remember, Shara saw Link's Wooly form in the intro of the game. Seems like she still recognizes it.

Excuse me, but this Wooly is actually a judo master and

Wait, or is it a golden Wooly Furball?
Bah?!

Uncute? Are you even trying, Sherman?

How about it? Would you like to enter our town festival and get shaved?
B-Bah. (I-I'll pass.)

Marjorie, you were supposed to be the cooler old person in town. How could you do this to us? :saddowns:

And by "cute," I mean TASTY! Time to DIG IN, baby!
Baa?!

OK, maybe one of these involves attempted murder.

I wonder if human shots work on Woolies...
Bah?!

...?
So cute! But the color could be better. I'll dye you rainbow colors!

Music: Sol Terrano Desert

Aaaand running the hell away. I should check in on my new monster friends, anyway.

What is it?
I wanted to ask you to run an errand for me.
An errand?
Yes, an errand. Can you do it?
Umm...
Oh, you do not have to if you do not want to.
That's okay..I'll do it.
Thank you. You would be a great help.
I'm not really familiar with the paths around here.
Do not worry. I will send a guide. Have you met Zaid?

>Yes

Good. I have already talked to Zaid. Please go see him when you are ready.
Okay.

But first, it's naptime.

Then let's go!
Okay!
First we're going to get some Dragon Bones! We'll find them in the southeast part of the desert. Let's go!

Zaid is really just coming along as a crutch character, since the player likely hasn't had time to get Wooly form combat up to speed yet. His level is in the mid-20s, so he can hold his own here.

But we'll need to beat the monsters first.
You got it. Alright, Link Get to it!
What?! Just me?!
*sigh* ...Fine. I guess I'll help.

Link's kind of a glass cannon since I haven't upgraded his armor yet. Everything here hits hard, but combos and throws make short work of enemies.

Once you've cleared the room, you can grab your prize.

Found it?
I think so. Is this what we're looking for?
Bingo! Let's go take it to Kuruna!

Yes, it's a flower that grows on a giant cactus southwest of here.
And that's what we need to get? Okay!
Thank you. I'm counting on you too, Zaid.
No problem!! You've got the right dwarf for the job!

In this screen, you can find fish. In the sand. Don't ask questions.

Mind your step around the sheep-eating plants.

I could, or...

...I could dash right to the chest, which has a spell in it. I have no idea if this is a good spell or not, because I don't really bother with magic in any of the RF games. :v: (I'll show it off for the LP, at least)

Everything here easily kicks my rear end anyway. Luckily, this 'quest' doesn't have a time limit and it doesn't block the normal mailbox/bulletin board quests. It can wait until I craft some better gear.

Zaid is not amused.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Compared to RF1, it's less jaw-droppingly bad since you have an actual RP pool that grows over time(on top of skill levels lowering your RP use), but it's still inferior to melee.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Baa Humbug

I start the day by using up yesterday's milk. Ice cream has immense water elemental powers somehow, and butter can be used for further cooking assuming you don't just eat the stick like the goddamned animal you are.

I also have an escape attempt! OK, not really - monsters at low affection will try to run away from you, and this is what happened when I tried to catch up for its morning brushing.

Link really needs to buy a lock for the barn door.

Is it really okay to hit the wooly?
I know it's not supposed to hurt. But it still looks like it can't be much fun for the wooly. Let's go give it some candy afterwards.
Okay!

Oh, right, Wooly festival.

Would Woolies taste like mutton, or something else? :thunk:

The festival wooly is small, too. That's why it's shaved in a different way.
How about just casting a spell to shave them? (Maybe that's going too far.)
No.

Like for boiled spinach.
What?!

...let's just go do the festival.

The wooly must be hot and miserable in this heat! That's why you should do it a favor, and trim its wool! We'll provide the trimming tools to you. They're all safe and won't hurt the wooly, so don't worry.

You do get your choice of weapon, and each one is a joke version of its category. Slower weapons give more points than faster ones. I wouldn't recommend using weapons you're not skilled in, since combos can help, but...

...after trying with the Safety Lance, Toy Hammer, and Spoon, the joke dual blades are what got me a win. The safety lance attacks quickly but doesn't give quite enough points per hit, the hammer was too slow, and the spoon wasn't quite good enough.

The pro strategy is to trap the wooly against a wall and stunlock it. Actual wooly furballs drop during this, but if you care about winning you don't really have time to pick them up.

After a while small woolies will start appearing on the stage. They give no points, so they're just there as a nuisance.

:toot: Sakuya came in second with 6000 points, for the record. The prize is a pile of Cooking Bread, as usual.

Speaking of, there's an NPC wandering around today selling some. It's a lot more expensive than Blaise, but you're not limited in how many you can buy per day. Handy now that we need to use Blaise's bread allotment for medicine/weapon/accessory breads too.

So were you just waiting there for us to take the request out of our mailbox, or

Oh no. Not this "assistant" business again.
You're turning out to be a pretty good assistant!
Uh, you don't really listen much to what other people say, do you?
What? There's no time for that! This is a crisis!
My shelf broke!
Umm...so you need it fixed?
No! That's my job! I need you to bring me materials! I need 1 piece each of Iron and Wood.
Okay. 1 piece each of Iron and Wood.
Alright! Now go!

One quick jog to the storage chest later...

Here's a token of my appreciation. I knew I could count on you! You're a super-duper assistant!
Um, I know I said this before, but I don't recall becoming your assistant.
Heh heh heh. You don't need to act modest. You do an amazing job! You should be proud!
I hope I can count on you next time!
*sigh* I guess I'm not going to win this one.

She might be insane, but the rewards are good.

I never showed off what happens if you walk into the Univir camp as a human, so why not now?

Why are you here...?! Please leave!

Welp. Back to town!

I see. You would be a big help. I'd like you to get a message to Shino.
To Shino? What did you want to tell her?
"The Eastern tableware you ordered has arrived." is the message.
Okay.
I would appreciate it if you could tell her soon. Thank you.

She was a minute's walk away, you lazy bum! :argh:

Yes, what was it?

Hey kids, can you remember what the message was?

Oh, that's good. Thank you for the message.
You're welcome. Excuse me, then. Alright, back to Blaise.

This isn't much, but it's to show my appreciation. Please take it. I hope that you would do this for me again sometime.

No pic of the reward, but I think you've figured out the trends by now.

Let's talk pharmacy. I don't actually know any recipes yet, but that doesn't mean I can't make stuff! I believe there's a penalty to the success chance this way, but it doesn't matter since I'm making one of the simplest potions. Smash together two medicinal herbs, and...

...you get a recovery potion. This unlocks the recipe, and also reveals that there are two ways to make these. Using Toyherbs to make them is kind of useless except for grinding skill, since medicinal herbs are insanely common.

New day, new bad idea with Pia.

Wait. I never said I would join. Actually, what would I even be joining?
A stand-up troupe.
Stand-up?
I thought we could start doing stand-up routines to attract customers. But to be honest, we could use some help, so I thought we'd look for another member. So!
Welcome, Link!
Welcome!
Is this going to work?

Wait, I never even agreed to do this...
Just try to hit the right punch line! Oh, and I know it's called a punch line, but don't really punch us.
Why would you even...?
Pia didn't get it at first and tried to punch me in the face.
She did?!
I thought it'd be more of an impact.
It would've. Anyway, just try to get your timing right.
For the punch.
No, the slap.
You mean the punch line.
Yeah, that's good! Well, let's give it a try.

Hi, thanks for waiting. I'm Sakuya.
I'm Pia!

There's only one real option here.

Oh, really?!
Of course not. Hey, you're the straight man!
Sorry...I missed the cue.
Well, thank you for coming out to see us. You must all have a lot of free time.

10 points.
What?! What's that?!
But having free time isn't all that bad.

Guess I should have rinsed and repeated?

I'm still doing introductions!
Oh, sorry...
That's right. It's the squid's fault!
What is?
Learn from the tuna!

I guess you can have too much free time. You end up wasting it on who knows what.
Like stand-up!
...yeah...

How was it, Mom? Oops! I mean Ms. Innkeeper?
Very funny.

Um, sure.
I guess three is just too many. Mom seemed to like it, but she is my mom.
See, Sakuya had fun, too! It's all thanks to you, Link. So thanks!
Umm...you're welcome.
It might've been best if we all decided what part we were each going to play beforehand.
It's really fun to do it with everyone! Well, see ya!

Our reward is squid. What else were you expecting?

Time for something slightly different. You've probably noticed the L-R INVITE showing up during dialog screenshots.

Once a villager gets a few hearts, you can invite them with you. Some are a lot more useful in combat than others, but I'm going to drag Pia around for a different reason.

That reason isn't the gigantic fish she uses as a weapon.

Drag her outside, remove her from the party so we can talk to her normally, and...

...we finally get her in mermaid mode. We would have eventually caught her like this without forcing it, but it's a bit silly how long this has dragged on.

Was this the first time you've seen me transformed?
Yes...
Oh. Well, I'm a mermaid, okay?! I want to eat some Squid.
Why?!

:ms:

There's plenty of those in the forest. This shouldn't be hard.

Might as well grab cologne while I'm here. Men like this scent, like Shara just said.

Okay, so...you've seen a lot of monsters, right?
I sure have.
Um...
?
I'm looking for a particular.monster.
Which one?
It's a wooly.
Oh, sure. Those things are all.over Privera Forest.
No! It's not just a regular wooly. I'm looking for a special wooly that wandered into town a while ago. It was on the day you came to town. It collapsed right in front of our flower shop. I brought it inside and tended to its wounds. But when I took my eyes off of it for a second, it disappeared. I looked around everywhere, but I couldn't find any trace of it. I'm worried that it's still out there somewhere, injured.
It's probably fine by now. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Uh, was there something special about that wooly? Something unique-looking?
Yes! It was a very strange wooly. It had golden wool, a blue scarf, and a funny hat that looked like the top of an acorn.
?!
What is it?
Uh, um, ah, it's nothing!.N-N-N-Nothing at all!!

Link: Master of the poker face.

Have you seen it?!
No! Definitely not! I've never seen it in my entire life!
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure?! Never?
No, never! In fact, I haven't seen any woolies lately. I can hardly even remember what they look like!
I see...What a shame. I just want to know that it's okay.
I-I'll tell you what. Let me go take a look. Maybe I can find your wandering wooly.
Huh? But I thought you hadn't seen any woolies lately.
Uh, I think I'll be able to find this one. Trust me. I've got a good feeling.
Okay. Thank you.
(Okay, let me think...that wooly she's desribing...that has to be me. I see. So that was Shara's house that I woke up in. What should I do? She's so worried about that Wooly. I've got to let her know it's okay. I'll transform and talk to her.)

She'll never suspect a thing.

Are you okay?!
Baaah!
Oh, thank goodness. I was so worried about you after you disappeared like that!
Bah.
Are you getting enough to eat? Do you have a warm, comfy place to sleep?

Bah, bah.
That's great!
Bah.
Oh, that's right.

Bah, bah!
Tee-hee.
Bah, bah bah! Bah! Bah!
Oh, are you going already?
Bah!
I see. That's too bad.
Bah, bah.
Come by and see me again sometime. I'll have some delicious cakes waiting for you.
Bah!
Take care!
Baaaaaaaaaah. (Whew. Maybe I'll transform back and talk to her.)

See? A flawless plan.

Listen! That golden wooly just came to see me!
Really?!
Yes! I was so surprised! It was so cute! So soft and fluffy. I just wanted to hug it!
I-Is that right?
What is it?
N-No, it's nothing.
Really? I feel like there's something you aren't telling me...anyway, I saw my wooly, so I owe you a Formula A.
Oh, that's okay. I didn't do anything.
Please, I insist. I have a feeling you did a little more than you're letting on.
But...
No arguing! It's yours.
Well, thank you very much.
I'm the one who should thank you.

Okay, maybe she suspects a little.

Back to the crafting grind. Yarn is a slight value improvement over raw wool, but is also needed for other recipes.

And the most important part of crafting, shoving a bunch of poo poo onto your weapons and armor so they're better. Each material has different bonuses it can add, along with different difficulty. Difficulty also rises as a given piece of equipment increases in level(ie. has more poo poo stapled to it).

At the end of my session, the shield looks like this. Much better!

Music: Monster Village

It is the symbol of the region.
Is it an old tree?
Yes, according to legend, people here gathered around it. It might have been here since the beginning. It would be nice to get it to bloom.
What was that?
N-No, it's nothing. I'm sorry, I just remembered I had to do something.
???

Definitely Not A Plot Hook.

Let's try taking a request over here for a change.

Uh, sure. You know me! For the settlement!
Excellent. So, we're running out of fish in the settlement.
Well, we ARE in the middle of a desert. Not exactly an ample supply of ponds!
Indeed. Summer fish are about the only option.
Makes sense. But you'd like a more diverse selection than that?
We univir once had access to entire rivers and oceans.of fish. I need to recapture that proud history. I want fish from seasons other than summer. Spring Masu Trout, fall Pike, and winter Pond Smelt. Could I ask for these 3?
That's...quite a haul! But I think I can manage it. I won't disappoint you.
I wish you luck, comrade. Our proud settlement awaits news of your success.

...yeah, not happening.

In a small mercy, the winter area(which is also the hardest area) lets you fish from the monster-free initial screen. The fall area also has a monster-free path to fishing. But I really don't want to wait until I catch all those fish to take more requests, so I'm just cancelling this for now. They'll be caught when I have time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I like that none of you are questioning where the cone comes from. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Sweet & Sour

Let's see what this terrible character's up to.

Link decides to troll Rusk along the way:

I heard an eccentric king used to bite into Green Peppers before holding jousting tournaments. If they're fit for a king, they're fit for you.
Wow! I didn't know kings even bothered with vegetables...

Oh, and it's Evelyn's birthday today. Basically everyone hints we should give her fish.

W-Why do you know something like...?
Now, I wonder why?

Well, I wanted someone to kill some time with. Because I'm busy.
You must have a lot of free time...well, let's go around town together.
No.

Let's go then.
No.

Field trip time! This entire quest is running around until you step in the right area to trigger a scene.

I've hardly ever been to this apothecary.
Oh, really?
Marian works in the apothecary. And Marian likes giving shots...
Do you hate shots?
I l-love them of course! Never again!
She really must hate them.

It's very ugly, isn't it?
It's very pretty.
This is where Wells will sign you up for any festival calling for participants. Hard to understand, isn't it?
Yeah, it's easy to understand.
You can see the ocean beyond the trees.

It feels great...

That normal building is where a nice lady runs her inn. A girl who hates traveling runs the gift shop, and a mermaid runs the bathhouse.

Chef...? Oh, she must mean Blaise. Sherman likes Blaise's cooking, too, doesn't he?
No. And the inn orders all of its meals from the chef as well. She's got lousy taste!
However...I find the sous-chef odious.
Sous-chef? Odious?
How can she eat so much and not get fat?
Ah, Collette. So the opposite of odious would be jealous.
She eats whatever she wants, and never gets fat. How odious.
It's the opposite...right?

That's...not really the opposite, but at least Link got the point.

Evelyn's hanging out in the inn, so I get her birthday gift out of the way. She loves yarn despite her allergy to normal clothing materials.

A+ text box fit.

This rockets her near the top of the affection charts, but everyone is so close that doesn't mean much.

Yes, it is quiet.
Hmmm. I really hate places like this. I hate it. So I hope you invite me again.
Y-yeah...

I'm not scared.
Okay.
...Really not scared.
Are you...uh, yeah. It's nothing.
Okay then.

The brother really hates the little sister, and he is always distant.
Emotionally?
Yes. He's cool and calm. Like a librarian.
Librarian???

This quest is literally just "Link shows he understands opposite speak, except this bit where he doesn't." I hate it.

Could that be Shara? Then the opposite of cold is warm.

What? Ummm...the laziest person...least talkative person...
They're both honest girls, but...
Both...isn't the opposite...So if they're honest then...
They're actually bad people.
Ah! So confusing!

Finally, we're done.

Take it easy on me...

Our prize is lots of protein-rich food to get SWOLE with.

Remember Rusk's request from several updates ago, where he wanted this? Well, Link can make it now, so might as well get out of the way.

Yeah! That's it! Sweet Powder! Thanks, Link! Oh, good. Thanks, Link. Here, this is for everything.
Thanks. Wait, you didn't use that Sweet Powder to make this, did you?
What? Oh...That's right, we had some in the house.

I mean, it has been a coulple in-game weeks since he first put the request out. Not a big surprise he found some. :v:

Let's take the longsword for a spin again.

This dash attack is alright. Not great, not terrible, just kind of alright. Which is how I feel about the longsword in general - it's just kind of eh.

New day, grass finally starting to grow in along with one sad little onion.

Raven? Wanting to talk? Something must have gone horribly wrong here. We have to investigate.

I see......
Raven?
...Take me.
What?
Take me to Vale:Icy Rosebush.
Oh, yeah. Vale:Icy Rosebush, right? Okay.

We make it over, but there's a Wooly hanging around the frozen hellhole for no apparent reason.

Music: Drama

...It's okay. It's okay. It's only scared because we're scared of it, too. It's scared of being feared...
So....Don't get too close.

The Convenient Drama Wooly takes its leave.

You, too...
What?
You should stay away from me, too...
Why...?
...Everyone who gets close to me just disappears.
That can't be.
It was a while ago...I came to play here with a friend. But--she disappeared. ...Right in front of me.
...!

I...I don't want to be with you any more.

So today was......my last request.
What...?

...well.

How about that Karina, eh?

Hmmm...?
Sorry to wake you.
Oh...it's okay. (I was having such a nice dream, though.)
You posted a job request?
A job request...? Oh right. About a delivery.
Uh, yeah. There weren't a lot of details.
Oh, that...(I forgot all about it.)
What?
I need you to get a pendant from Sofia. I'm too busy to go myself.
Weren't you just sleeping?
Well, yeah.
How does that qualify as being too busy?
I was too busy sleeping. Seems pretty obvious to me.
*sigh* Okay. I'll go get the pendant from Sofia.
Great. Thanks. (Maybe I can get back to that dream.)

...why are we helping her, again?

Karina asked me to pick up a pendant from you.
No.
What?
Here you go. This pendant, right?

What's the matter?
Um, nothing...
I see. Anyway, it's not important, so please tell her to be careless.
Wait, what?
She needs to be careless with it. Don't tell her that.
Oh, okay. Got it...I think.

And since we happen to be here...

(...What would Gaius do in this situation? Oh, that reminds me. Wasn't there a letter from Gaius in my mailbox...?)

There wasn't before, but there probably is now!

Hmm.
Good morning.
*yawn*....Yeah, good morning.
Sleeping on the job again?
Yes...Uh, I mean, no, I wasn't.
You already said that you were.
I was copying Sofia.
But you said "good morning."
I meant the opposite.
So you meant "good night"? You're going to bed?
Hmm...maybe? (Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.)
...Anyway, I got you the pendant.
Oh, thanks. I'll take it, then.

Let's open up our inventory and hand it...wait, what the gently caress?

...I guess there's no arguing with personal taste.

Here, Karina.
Oh...thanks.
It was really no problem. I could've almost done it in my sleep.
What?
Hmm?
(Was that a crack about me sleeping?)
Oh, and Sofia said that you should be careless with that. But I think she meant...
Yes, I know. I'll be careful.
What's the matter? (What a strange expression.)
I'm just impressed by how well you can understand her.
Why wouldn't I? I don't think there's anything weird about how she talks.
Really? I think it's pretty weird.
Oh, it's just her way. Who isn't a little weird? Anyway, here. For you. Thanks.

Thanks for helping me out.
Ah...

You can't fool me! I haven't seen the "Request completed!" box yet!

I was just giving Karina a hand.
You were? That daughter of mine...I'll bet she made you look after the.store so she could sleep!
Well, uh, not exactly. She asked me to pick up a package from Sofia. Because she was busy umm...watching the store.
I guess that's OK, then...Well, thanks for helping.
Oh it's OK. I (kinda) got a reward for it.
Oh, I see. She's usually too lazy to even pay for help, you know. You should be flattered.
Ha ha...
Well, back to work. If I left it up to her, there'd be no store!
Heh heh. See you later.

Ha ha...

That 10 gold is going to make or break this operation, I tells ya.

I mean, the first one will make you bigger, just not in the way you're hoping. :v:

Meanwhile, in Monster City USA...

HELLO! HELLO! SO TINY!
Will! I'm sorry.
Oh, no. That's okay.

Capes are the formal attire of univir. Do you mean to insult them?!
I'm sorry...
Though I suppose they are not the.most practical attire for the desert. Still, it's not so bad once you get used to it.

Why are you wearing formal attire 24/7, other than "the artists didn't want to draw more than one outfit"?

>Is it the pointy ears?

Yes, our ears are very similar to those of elves. There's a chance that we share a common ancestor, but I haven't found any hard evidence.
Ondorus, you've researched a lot of things.
Yes, there isn't much else to do around here.

Similar to the elves. And dwarves. And Raven for some reason. Maybe the pointy ears don't actually mean a whole lot.

>You mean the horn?

Yes. The horn is the source of our magical abilities.
Is that right?
Why and how our magical abilities are tied to our horns remain a mystery.

Kuruna's fishing request is on the backburner, so let's see what Zaid wants. (He won't give us normal dialogue until I finish the fetch quest that's also on the backburner)

There's a lot of stuff that this camp.needs. If you're gonna hang out around here, you're gonna have to start pulling your weight! Just watch me and follow my lead, and you'll pick things up.
Um, okay. Will do. But didn't you have a job request of some kind?
Oh, that's right! I want to you get 3 Pineapples for me. You can get them from the piney monsters if you beat up enough of them. Go get 'em!

3 Pineapples...okay!

What Zaid doesn't mention is that pineapples have a comically low drop rate. I murder Pineys for 8 in-game hours and not a single pineapple drops.

They're technically growable, but finding their seeds is rare. You can get them from dungeon chests, or by encountering a traveling merchant at the inn(who we haven't seen yet) when they happen to be selling some. I'll stick to murdering pineapple monsters.

At least with the timing on this quest I'm pretty sure it's the game going "hey, maybe you should grind some so you don't get killed all the time in this dungeon?" Still don't need it blocking me from other quests, though.

What's left of the night is spent chopping wood in frustration.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Leraika posted:

hey Haifisch, can you show off the flavor text for the joke weapons once you get there?
Will do!

As a side note, I binge played enough to get about 5 updates' worth of screenshots, so they should be coming faster for a while. Not that we don't all love LPs that almost go a month between updates or anything. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
A Link to the Past

I guess we should figure out what's eating Raven.

Well, let's go then.
What...?! W-Where to?
Hmm, well. Sol Terrano: Sand Sea should be fine.
Ah.

Gaius hits rock with hammer until iron pops out.

Rocks are quiet, but they can be stubborn.
Ah...
They're just waiting here, waiting for someone to talk to them. That's the only way they know how to be.
But no matter how stubborn they are, you just need to talk to them. Warm them in the fire, and tinker away at them with your hammer.
Gaius...?
Even rocks can change their shape over time. Using a hammer just speeds it up a little. But working them too hard won't work. My right eye is proof of that. They may be hard, but they can change.

This time, Gaius mines out bronze. It's a metaphor or something.

Alright, this should be enough! Let's get back then.
Oh, okay.

Gaius is probably my favorite non-dateable character in RF3. :allears:

Of course. Next time I'll ask you to watch the store!
Uh. But...
Raven has been out of sorts recently.
...?
She just stops working and stares out the window. She's waiting for someone.
Huh...?
Well, see you.

The silver and gold is nice too, I guess. Let's see if Gaius has any other words of wisdom.

I especially like the moment you pass out from the heat.
What?!

Music: Love

Her reflection on the blade was so beautiful. Like...
Carlos, do you...like Raven?

Gaius is amazing. He's just so talented. The blade was like a mirror. Hm? What's the matter? You thought I liked Raven? No way! I won't be tied down by one woman. I'm nobody's. That's right, I'm a bad man.
Oh. I really thought for a moment there...

Never change, Carlos.

While I'm roaming around, I notice a certain someone in the inn...

Yue's a returning character from RF2. She was a traveling merchant there too, as well as a bachelorette.

Here she sells a random assortment of poo poo, and she's got a good haul today.

I snag a Big Fire spell, which lets you launch up to two fireballs in a row. I'm going to at least try to show off magic.

I also buy a truckload of accessory bread. In retrospect I should have bought some of the farming bread too, but oh well.

Keeping up with accessories is very important since the difficulty curve is more like a bunch of difficulty spikes. You can dash through areas as a glass cannon if you just need to mine or whatever, but you need to be able to stand and fight sometimes as well.

On the way to our next quest...

Father was so joyful that he decided to voice his pleasure with a song! He got in the waiter's face and sang that he couldn't feed on the powerless when his cup was already overfilled!
The scary part is...I'm sure Sherman, Sofia, and Evelyn all thought this was normal behavior!

Oh, Link, perfect.

Yeah. My important sashimi knife is dull. It hasn't been sharpened lately. I want to ask Gaius, but we've been getting swamped at work. I'm sorry, but could you go for me?
Okay. I mean, you are my fishing instructor after all. I'd be happy to help.
That's my student! I knew I could count on you. Well, then...

You know, how much work do these two even do? I guess they fish a lot, but it's not like they sell fish in their shop or anything.

Still getting the cold shoulder from Raven. Moreso than normal, I mean.

It seems like it's gotten quite dull. Could you sharpen it for her?
Ah, Carmen's knife? It's been a while since I last sharpened it. Alright, leave it to me! I'll get it nice and sharp!

Thank you very much! I bet Carmen will be happy.
Yeah. Tell her to bring it again anytime. Well, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to work on it right away.

Yes, this is it! Now I can go back to making tasty sashimi.

I...don't think it's a very good idea to be swinging that thing around right next to us.

Thank you, Link. Now let me offer you this! Link...You're kind.
What?
Uhh...hope I can count on you again! See ya!

Good news: Free sashimi. Bad news: I think Link has a budding case of Clueless Anime Protagonist Syndrome.

Y-yes?
You're pretty cute now that I've gotten a good look at you.
Huh...?

It's spreading! :derp: Quick, let's go try out our new spell in the desert!

Music: Sol Terrano Desert

Oh, now I get a pineapple.

Or five.

Unfortunately it's late enough that Zaid's gone to bed, so I'll have to wrap this up tomorrow.

Fun fact: Link has no problem going to bed as a sheep. I guess nobody's barged into his house uninvited for a few weeks, so it's probably okay.

Terrable was a boss in Rune Factory 1. Fiersome was a boss in Rune Factory 2. Ventuswill is a pancake-loving God Dragon Mayor in Rune Factory 4. I'll let you fill in the blanks on Aquaticus yourself.

I got your loving pineapples right here.

Hey, don't sell yourself short. That was no easy task! And just in time--

Ah!
Kuruna! Here.
Oh! A Pineapple. Why are you giving me this?
What do you mean "why"? You mentioned that you wanted some Pineapple!

You little poo poo.

You....You remembered me saying that?
Of course!
Is something wrong?
Um, Zaid...
Yeah?
Do you mind if I share some of this?
Well...if you want to. But why?
I can't eat all of this by myself. And food always tastes better when you share it with friends.
O-Oh yeah! Totally! I was just thinking the same thing!
Here.
Thanks!
Well, I wanted to see you, but I didn't mean to interrupt. I'll come back later. Thank you for the Pineapple, Zaid.
No problem! Any time!

Our reward is a Pineapple. Dammit Zaid.

Let's get the plot moving again.

Zaid is not very good at this for a guy who's implied to be fighting all the time.

These footprints are pretty big. Do you know what animal they belong to?
Who cares? I'm not an animal expert.
I see...
Anyway, look over there.

Be careful when you get the flower. Don't get poked by that thing!
I'll be careful.

Got it!
Great! Let's head on back.

On the way back, the normal background rumbles of the desert suddenly get much louder...

I don't like the sound of that rumbling! Let's get back to the settlement as quickly as we can!

A monster stormed the settlement gates!
Kuruna! The gate won't hold much longer!
...Can we not avoid a fight?

I am the elder of this settlement. It's my duty to protect everyone. Please escape while you can.
...Can you leave this to me?

Completely unrelated, but I never noticed the skulls on Kuruna's tent before. :black101:

What are you talking about?!
I'll be fine! I'm actually pretty confident in my own strength.
If you believe you can defend the settlement...then I leave this to you.
Kuruna, hurry!
Please, be careful!

I have five recovery potions. I'll be fiiiine.

Totally fine.

Music: VS Skelefang

Skelefang doesn't seem too bad at first. Each hit will knock off more bones, and it only has a few easily-avoided attacks.

Eventually its core is exposed.

When a glowing ring gathers around it, run like hell.

Because that's its cue to start throwing beams of lightning at you.

:siren: Mid-battle power up! :siren:

Gotta go fast.

Thankfully the lightning has a limited range, so you should be safe as long as you start running soon enough.

Zaid isn't bright enough to realize this, so he keeps charging towards it and eventually gets knocked out.

Once it starts glowing red, its attacks go from doing about a quarter of Link's HP to half, and it gains a (thankfully weaker than the rest) long-range attack in its skeletal form. My new fireball spell became my new best friend here.

Not shown: At one point I accidentally hit X and had to redo the entire fight. :downs:

drat that's some fine loot.

*pant* *pant* Got it! Time to tell Kuruna the good news!

All three of the bones that dropped are used for crafting, but one in particular stands out. :allears:

:rip:

You might wanna get Zaid to whatever passes for a medic around here.

No, I'm fine.
I'm glad you're okay.
Yeah, that was one tough monster.
But why did that monster attack us?
Hmm...did anyone recently pick a cactus flower?
A cactus flower? Yes, he just brought it back for me. What about it?
That monster is drawn to the cactus flower. It actually derives sustenance from it. That must be the reason why it attacked.
What?! So that was a Skelefang?! I thought they were all extinct. Had I known there was one out there, I would have left that flower alone. And I've caused you so much trouble.
Don't worry about it.
Well, I do still need that Cactus Flower if you have it.
Okay.

Oh, no problem!
I'm terribly sorry for involving you in all this commotion.
It's okay. You couldn't have known some giant dinosaur bones weren't extinct!
This is a token of the settlement's appreciation. Please, take it.

Oh, before I forget!
What?
There's something odd going on a little bit north of the settlement. After you arrived in the settlement, we discovered a strange orb. No one knows where it came from, and no one can remove it...It's very strange.
An orb? Kuruna, do you think it would be okay if I took a look at this orb?
Certainly. I will open the gates. Feel free to take a look.
Thank you!

But first, time to grab this eggplant I noticed during the boss fight. Priorities, yo.

Music: Mystery

Kuruna said that this orb appeared.when I came to town. How strange.

???: ...this whole town is counting on you.
Past-Link: That's what I'm nervous about. So many people depending on me...
???: Don't worry, you'll do fine! I can see it in your eyes. You've got more strength and courage than you know.
Past-Link: I'm glad you think so.
???: I know so! You've got the makings of a real hero, kid!
Past-Link: Okay! I'll do my best to protect this town!

How convenient.

And I was...some sort of guard? I was protecting a town where was I a member of the guard? ...no...I can't remember. I've got to find more orbs and get my memory back!

Well I'm sure glad I didn't teleport back in sheep form.

Lunch. Sure.

I'd hate to see it go to waste, so I thought you could have it.
What? Really?
Of course! It's yours! Well, come by to get it later.
Yeah, okay.
See ya.

Might as well get our 'lunch' now.

Ugh......Oh, Link...

Are you hurt?
Ow!! What was that!!
What's wrong?
A shadow appeared! It screeched at me, and I fell down!
Um, calm down.
Yeah, you're right...
And then what?
Well...I was carrying your lunch, and waiting outside. Then a huge shadow came out of nowhere and surprised me! So I fell, and then the shadow took the lunch I brought for you!
Lunch?

A)She just told you about it 2 minutes ago, Link. B)It is the middle of the night, so I guess you should be concerned anyway.

It's a new product! I wanted to hear your opinion of the taste. But it took it away. I guess it's good that you weren't attacked. Oh man! I put a lot of effort into making the Salted Char!
I wonder what the large shadow was?
It was all so sudden, so I couldn't really see. Sorry.
I see.
*sigh* Man, I was scared!
Interesting story...I'll look into it! If you think of something, let me know!
Yeah, will do, Link.

Hey, wait a minute!
Oh!
It went towards Oddward Valley. The customers have said they heard howling coming from there. It's a tourist spot, so I was worried that something might happen.
Oddward Valley seems like there might be something there? Okay. I'll check it out.
Okay! Be careful.

I...sure. That's one way to point us to the next dungeon.

But I can't shake the feeling I'm forgetting something.

Oh, poo poo, right.

By some miracle she's still awake.

That's how it is!

>That's right.

Huh? Did you know?

And now Link can go to bed.

Bonus!

Who wants official character artwork? You do! Today we have art of our hero Link, along with special RF2 guest Yue:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:siren: Name suggestion time! :siren:

I've played far enough ahead to get access to Cluckadoodles(chickens, only not), so I'll need names for them. I'll probably grab two. Remember that the character limit is 6.

Leraika posted:

Don't you dare give that fish bone to Pia :smith:
I won't. How could I use it for crafting if I did? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
One of the chickens will definitely be Eggman(and have the master plan), the second one is still up in the air.

• Locked thread