Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I saw that Tutorial Orc drop a Cloth for you already. This is a good omen, clearly.

I also like Link and Lon Lon Ranch, because Zelda's cool and apparently so is this game, though I haven't played outside the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Glazius posted:

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but the whole "nope, no farms anywhere" thing, explicitly stated, is kind of weird. I mean... what do they eat?

Why do you think they took in the mysterious free sheep? They're probably pretty disappointed it turned out to be an anime man.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 23, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

This Jasper knockoff does not seem nearly as good as the man himself. Not once did he reference eating a tank, and he doesn't even have a nice hat.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I kinda love Carlos already.

The magic seeds seem interesting as well, being able to grow your own combat helpers seems like a neat gimmick.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Did Evelyn have a small monkey attached to her that entire time that nobody acknowledged?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

:siren: Update on the last page!

I think Link has so far started almost half his lines with "Uh" "Um" or "Huh". Dude seems in over his head.

Also, are monster drops the only way to get the Clippers? That seems like it could be an issue if the drop rate is too low.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Haifisch posted:

In any other game this would be a lead-in to a spooky quest. Here it's daily dialog that I'm pretty sure never comes up again.

Extremely disappointed we won't be having a spooky St. Coquille Mansion dungeon.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I can identify with Daria because shrimp look creepy as all hell up close.

The bulletin board stuff seems to be how all the Rune Factories after the original fill a lot of the spare time, which I think is probably a better idea than just a constant stream of dungeons. Are the requests always the exact same, or are some of them randomly generated?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I like how everyone's preferred method of thanking Link is by putting one or two things in a treasure chest and just hurling that poo poo at his feet.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I'm both pleased and disappointed that we've evolved to some sort of monster bribery system after RF1 and 2's time tested "just rub it while it kicks the poo poo out of you."

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

From...from loving where, Sherman?

Sherman is clearly the most powerful person in the village, able to best a very large sheep, so I respect him.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

Even if Link knows what's up with Sofia by now, I can still understand having trouble deciphering what exactly the opposite of a librarian is supposed to be.

That Chinese emperor who burned all those books? Illiteracy? A really loud person? If it's Rune Factory it's probably the last one.

I don't know why this kills me, but it does.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Name one of the chickens after everyones' favorite coward, Luigi.

I like this one.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Haifisch posted:

It doesn't even fit.

Daria has some formidable abilities here.

Haifisch posted:

In other words I'm glad LordHippoman gets to LP RF2 and not me. :v:

It's like that gag in Charlie Brown where he goes to kick the football, Lucy pulls it away, and he falls on his rear end. Except I'm Charlie Brown, the football is the good RF games, and Lucy is...uh...also me, I guess.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Holy poo poo, the Typhoons destroy your crops inside of caves too? :psyduck:

I think we've found the one thing the first game does better than this one.

Edit: Oh, whoops, must have misread, my bad.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 28, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

This is kind of a minor detail but I love that it's called the "Catch The Biggest Fish Contest" instead of just the "Fishing Contest". It's the most literal naming possible, it's like calling a footrace "Run To The End Of The Track Fastest Contest".

Picayune posted:

I'm quite fond of 'crowbar-across-the-face beautiful', myself. :allears:

I have so many questions about mermaid culture now.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

It feels like RF3 is personally attacking me with this line.

This update really does seem to kinda highlight the extremes of the "wacky" character writing in the game. Carlos talking about 18 WIELDING was pretty funny and made me smile, but Marian's whole questline and character being "she's grossly irresponsible and likely to poison her friends to death for the hell of it. Please still like her." feels like way too much.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I'm glad Link spent a large portion of this quest making fun of Evelyn's fashion sense and then proceeded to shove gold bars into a forge to make shoes out of. Way to go, buddy.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I love when these games sometimes just drop articles in sentences with item names. That screenshot of Gaius smugging into the camera and going "YOU NEED BROOCH?" actually cracked me up.

Haifisch posted:

I'll take some daikon radishes or aquamarine. Now, down to business!

Hot Yue gifting tips for RF2 players.

*frantically scribbling*

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

There's something magical about the Eating Contest not involving any plates or benches or anything, but instead apparently just being Wells dumping random food all over the ground in town square and yelling "GO!".

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

It's rare you find a full line that could fit into almost any conversation in your entire video game, but there it is.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Team Sofia is not about to represent.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Absolutely Fishy, and if this is one of those joke answers where your spouse immediately goes "haha no" afterwards I will go buy a new copy of this game just to throw it away dejectedly.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Marjorie is the real hero here.

Also Aquaticus is a pretty on the nose name for your Water God Dragon, but after Terrable and Firesome it's a real step up.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I do find it interesting that RF3 seems to have chopped up the old Medicate spell (Cure all Ailments) into multiple status clears. That's definitely way less efficient for a game that seems to be streamlining most of the more archaic prequel mechanics, but I guess it was a little overpowered.

gently caress yeah octopirate

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I cannot describe the joy I feel every time I see a new festival name in this game.

"Catch A Variety Of Fish Contest"

It's like they just gave that part of the writing to a 1950's-esque robot and slowly waited for it to churn them out while working on the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Whoa...! Pia, it's born!

Imagine going through pretty much the most painful process your average human will ever have to endure, childbirth, and then your husband just loving struts in the door and goes "oh wow hey did you notice???" That's some pinnacle Rune Factory Protagonist behavior.

Haifisch posted:

Final ranking of De Sainte-Coquilles across all four Rune Factory games: Porcoline>Jasper>Sherman>Herman.

I was going to make some joke about this but I can honestly probably agree, although I haven't had much personal Porcoline exposure.

Thanks for the LP, Haifisch, it was well done and showed off just how much stuff they tried in this game, and how a lot of it honestly worked out pretty well. I'm of the same mind as ThornBrain with the characters, a lot of them are a little too goofy, but sometimes that swings in a pleasant way (Daria) and other times you get Marian.

Congratulations :toot:

• Locked thread