Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Pia is one of my favorite video game characters ever, so I'm so happy to see this lunacy unfold. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

Is Relax Tea still, like, the elixir of life that it was in previous editions?

By the time I learned how to make Relax Tea and was consistently able to do so, there were a ton of other food options that were a lot easier to make.

...Actually, I can't remember making it but the once for shipping credit.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I love all of RF3's pop culture references so much.

Speaking of (and speaking of spears) are you gonna do any showing off of weapons themselves?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Micah for the wooly and Midna for the buffamoo.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

In that case, change my Wooly to Micah, and change the Buffamoo to Salisb, because that seems funnier :haw:.

Sure, I can get behind this.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

It's also worth noting that spending a rudimentary time training up even skills you don't plan on using will boost a bunch of related stats (usually HP/RP/damage stat), so it's always worth trying new things.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

CptWedgie posted:

I'm... reasonably certain you're not supposed to make ice cream with your bare hands. Also, wouldn't unflavored ice cream be kinda boring?

You can get unflavored ice cream. It's okay if you're really into the taste of cream.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

I wonder if the pepper thing is a reference to Iron Chef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mhAPrBddfM

It absolutely is a reference to Iron Chef. Rune Factory 3 loves its pop culture references.

hey Haifisch, can you show off the flavor text for the joke weapons once you get there?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Don't you dare give that fish bone to Pia :smith:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

someone awful. posted:

Name a chicken Eggman

yes pls

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

CptWedgie posted:

Am I the only one who's decided to just skip over Marian's quests?

I only did them because I really like Marjorie as a character. :shrug:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Zagglezig posted:

So what happens if you have Pia fighting with you and it starts/is already raining?

She transforms on the spot. IIRC it makes a little pop! sound.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm pretty sure I've made my stance on the matter clear (it's Pia, Pia is best girl).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Zagglezig posted:

I meant more in the sense of whether she could still travel/fight with you when her legs have gone.

Yeah, she does. a n i m e

(at least I'm 99% sure; I actually soloed most of this game and last played it years ago).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

This is the spot where I really started not liking Sofia, apropos of nothing. I could kind of buy the gimmick as something she does to mess with people, but keeping it up even when she's feeling directly threatened not only strains credibility but also raises all sorts of issues about things like consent that probably shouldn't be in a silly game about henshin sheep. The whole thing just comes off as really creepy to me.

Yes, I'm thinking about it too hard, but that scene would have been SO MUCH BETTER WRITTEN imho if it'd just had her break character to show that this was a serious issue.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Sage Grimm posted:

What I feel they were going for was Sofia getting so flustered she couldn't break kayfabe after the suitor misunderstood her the first couple times. As you point out, though, it's easily interpreted differently and could have been handled better.

Well, yeah, that's what they're going for but... she's also begging someone she's repulsed by to come closer and confessing that she likes him. That's when it stops being a cute character quirk and starts being something that could get her in real loving trouble, and yet it's still treated as just a 'oh that's something she does, no we're not going to bother trying to get her to cut it out' type deal.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I wonder if the manzai skit was any more coherent in Japanese.

Probably not!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Poor Pia and her self-worth issues.

Clearly we need to show her that we'll love her regardless of what happens!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

So which NPC is the best fighter in this game?

All things being equal, probably Raven, but the amount of work you have to put into raising an NPC buddy really isn't worth it when even the best ones have AI issues and WILL NOT SHUT UP.

Sakuya's also very useful, but in a way that hasn't been touched on yet.

e: going by stated ability, though, Shino could probably solo most of the empire. Don't gently caress with Shino.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 26, 2017

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Oh my, Pia's the first one we confessed our wooly nature to!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

Did he give them to a person who speaks in opposites?

I wonder if 'yes, BlackPersona's Roomie, this is super good, good job' counts.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I guess the appeal of Karina is that she's lazy but she's not completely insane, if you're one of the people bothered by RF3's brand of lunacy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Bullying Pia, the very nerve.

But yeah, it's like the writers looked back at the old RF games and were, like, 'hey you know what our problem is? people only want to interact with the cool characters, even if you can't plow their fields' and then they paired Marjorie with the worst character in the game.

...But Shino exists, so that theory's shot anyway.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

Wow. And that just... happened to show up in the traveling merchant? drat. I suppose that's something money's good for.

Yue stocks REALLY GOOD STUFF.

Depending on how you play, a lot of endgame could be looking at her shop and then soft resetting.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Your service will not be forgotten, Lilypad. ;_;7

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Pia continues to be the super best.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

dancingbears posted:

The panthers in the desert produce claws you can forge in to weapons to up your crit rate, I remember. Get a bee, too, if you can. Slimes produce crystals that are good for magic, for what that's worth. Probably something else I'm forgetting.

Fairy-type monsters drop Fairy Dust and Mushrooms drop spores, I recall.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I seem to recall that there was some way you could use the Wi-fi version of the dungeon without actually being connected to the internet back in the day - maybe still? I'd have to pick up the game again to see, though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Ashsaber posted:

Local wifi connection, IIRC. Causes you to have a full bar of health and RP when you go in no matter what, treats defeats as nothing, and you get to keep the spoils with not time passed. You also get the ability o play as just about every townsfolk with your stat line, each having different skills to make up for the lack of transformation, like Raven gets fire immunity, and Sofia can eat failed dishes for actual recovery.

And Sakuya sharply raises the rate of treasure room occurrence, which is why I said she was the most important character in the game way back when

Yeah, that was it! God, I wasted so much time just randomly farming stuff in the dungeon.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fun fact: IRL, sapphires can be basically any color of the spectrum other than red...

...because a red sapphire is a ruby.

(this fact is probably not surprising if you didn't grow up on video games treating them like separate gemstones but I sure as hell did)

My favorite game as a kid was Star Ocean 2 so I totally knew the difference :colbert:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

Is it explicitly the univir who have problems with humans? As some kind of monster royalty or something? It's weird that everybody's just fine with dwarves here and dwarves there.

Fantasy racism is kind of weird in the rune factory world.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

This LP is ex-squid-zit. :allears:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Shino not being a bachelorette is a travesty.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The Very Important Anti-Squid Party endorses Pia for wife

e: she's so good that she entered a squid as a fall crop and got second place. :colbert:

Leraika fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 1, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, pretty much. She's just... kind of anime quirky in a game where most characters are interesting quirky.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

:same:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

LordHippoman posted:

Absolutely Fishy, and if this is one of those joke answers where your spouse immediately goes "haha no" afterwards I will go buy a new copy of this game just to throw it away dejectedly.

It's Pia, what do you think?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Why on earth would you ever use a rosary when you can just use Sakuya over local wi-fi and farm items forever -

Oh. It's me, I'm the insane person.

But yeah, I remembered Aquaticus's motives being a lot more benevolent than they were, more of a prove your love so we're not making things worse for everything than a gently caress YOU, YOU DISGUSTING HALF-BREED. gently caress that guy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

I think the "gently caress YOU, YOU DISGUSTING HALF-BREED" before the fight there was part of the test? His motive stated after the battle seemed to be to restore the harmony between humans and monsters/nonhumans in the village environs to the Sharance Tree would bloom again. He's still an rear end in a top hat dragon who stole a guy's life and memories in order to accomplish that goal, and refuses to give them back also as part of his "test", but I don't think fantasy racism is one of his faults; in fact, it kind of seems like the opposite, although it might just be because "dammit, you mortals and your feuds are RUINING my garden!"

Well, yeah, but that was still a lot of speciesist bullshit I didn't remember from my fight with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

:yikes: Uh, why was that your first thought?

Because Evelyn and also kind of weird translation?

• Locked thread