Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

Hope you do better then I did. (Though I am tempted to go back to it one day if I can get a text dump, I liked my light narrative style LP).

As for a name, Link for Lon Lon Ranch

Was considering suggesting stupid names for both until I saw this. Link and Lon Lon Ranch it is! Even better, the name justifies whatever odds and ends you decide to arm yourself with all on its own!

(For the record: Was considering something like Person of the Place Farm...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Glazius posted:

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but the whole "nope, no farms anywhere" thing, explicitly stated, is kind of weird. I mean... what do they eat?

Cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. Probably fish and foraged plants and such, too.

Well, either that or eating is optional in this setting; that works too.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I mentioned this in ThornBrain's thread, but it's arguable that, while Shara is the first townsperson the PLAYER sees, RAVEN is the first one the PROTAGONIST sees. My logic: You just fell out of the sky, and you're visibly injured, so you probably aren't even conscious until you're shown waking up the next day.

On a tangentially related note, how are you going to be choosing which bachelorette to pursue?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Sage Grimm posted:

I entirely forgot she's even more of a one-note character than I remembered. FOOD MUST EAT GOTTA EAT FOOD.

Totally going to vote for her when the "who to woo" category comes up to really rub it in.

Spoilered for character stuff, including characters that haven't been shown yet; don't look if you want Haifisch to handle the introductions! To be fair, I remember most of the bachelorettes being pretty one-note in this game. In the relationship menu's order: Shara is obsessed with flowers (almost as much so as the first two games' canon brides were turnip-obsessed; she works in the flower shop, she explicitly encourages you to grow flowers- which take forever to grow and aren't very useful for much of the game- and nearly all her liked gifts are flowers); Collette is obsessed with food (as already shown); Marian is a mad scientist (demanding that she be allowed to test new drugs on the protagonist- and she's supposed to be this game's nurse!); Karina is practically narcoleptic (no enthusiasm + hobby is sleeping, but not a true narcoleptic like Clorica in 4); Pia is obsessed with swimming (and "saving" fish, but that's related in that fish swim); Sofia is... well, Sherman's daughter (and thus talks like him; at least she gives you a use for the "trash" items); Sakuya is incredibly greedy (one of her sprites actually has a G in her eye to signify this, much like a western cartoon character would have $); Carmen is obsessed with fishing (and, creepily enough, her brother); Kuruna is extremely racist for most of the game (she gets better by the end... long after the damage is already done); and Daria... well, "RAINBOW!!!" Her words, not mine. Really, I'm pretty sure Raven's the closest to actually having a personality; sure, she's incredibly aloof, but she has a REASON for that, and you actually manage to coax her out of her shell if you build up her relationship.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I don't see the appeal in Carmen or Carlos. I mean, yeah, they're friendly, and I can understand them being attached to each other. On the other hand, they're far too focused on fishing, and they take their connection to each other TOO FAR (to creepy, "get separate rooms already!" levels). Plus they're both drama queens, as has been demonstrated. And, for the record, you can't marry Carmen with a bad relationship with Carlos, since his requests are a prerequisite for marrying her.

I honestly forgot Monica in the spoilered list of problems with various bachelorettes I posted before (though part of that might have been the fact that I was focused entirely on how most of them have one-note personalities; she makes Shara even less appealing than she already is, since you have to do the brat's requests in order to marry her sister. That said, from my point of view it almost seems like she might be autistic (speaking as someone who is autistic himself). At least Wells is alright when monsters aren't visibly involved.

Karina... well, her character (or lack thereof, as the case may be) is summarized pretty well in her introduction, really. She's too lazy to even properly explain a simple, core mechanic unless forced (I mean, "put stuff in box, get money next day" isn't that complicated, is it?).

At least Sofia bears no physical resemblance to Sherman (another running thing regarding their family- the ones in charge look like Sherman, while the young ones are actually pretty attractive). Her gimmick is pretty annoying, though.

Despite Raven's laconic greeting, I find her to be a much better character than all the other candidates (not really a spoiler when the relationship screen put a heart next to her name, is it?); what she's like under that aloofness will be shown later, I'm sure.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I think part of what's tripping Link up is that Sofia occasionally says what she actually means. Not often, but it does happen.

Maybe Pia secretes hallucinogens from her skin or something? That might explain the low average sanity in the area- everyone's tripping balls! In other words: Pia isn't crazy because of something in the water, everyone's crazy because Pia keeps getting into their drinking water! Also: I think Daria got into the responses for Pia's quiz.

That bridge isn't unique, because there's another just like it on the other side. :downs:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

I think the license actually went with Neverland to its grave. I'd be amazed at there being anything Rune Factory again, ever.

The Rune Factory series' developers were hired by Marvelous not too long after Neverland went under; can't say whether they've acquired the rights to the series itself, but there's still hope of a future Rune Factory game, even if they can't use the name anymore.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, at least someone besides the protagonist seems to have his head screwed on right regarding interspecies relations.

Took me a bit to remember who the other dwarf in this game was. I feel stupid.

Rune Factory 4's Dylas can go straight to hell. He's not a good character, and he screws the player out of content by his mere existence, even if that content is just "win the fishing contests." As I mentioned over in ThornBrain's thread, I'm not entirely convinced that he doesn't cheat by fishing with lightning bolts rather than fishing rods (or at least electrify his rod).

Are you varying your weapons much offscreen, or are you exclusively using the spear? After all, there's more than one size of sword, and LoZ Link's known for using shields too, along with pretty much everything else (even if shields in the Zelda series have been only situationally useful for years now due to requiring a separate button just to use them as anything more than a decoration... but then everything else has been nerfed to hell there, too, to the point where, to the best of my knowledge, the only game released within the last decade where items other than the bow, bombs, and sword are usable longer than just one dungeon and a "final review area" is Link Between Worlds).

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, does Micah/"Link" actually regain his memory in this game? IIRC, most Rune Factory protagonists defy the amnesia trope by never regaining their memory and only having their pasts hinted at. If he does, he'd be defying the usual Rune Factory plot design by embracing the trope... @_@

Wait and see, buddy.

Commander Keene posted:

Smooth, Link. Nobody will think you're a transforming wrestlesheep now.

To be fair, most people have no reason to suspect it at all; pretty much the only reason it's just "most" is the intro, with Wells and Shara dragging you in out of the rain, and even then they probably don't have enough info to put it all together and get "he's a weresheep."

Commander Keene posted:

I'm not sure it's wise to stick a burning furnace in a treehouse. There's a reason almost all forges and smelters were made completely from stone. But I suppose you do you, Rune Factory.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway: One of Wells' random conversations states that the Sharance Tree's pretty much completely fireproof, unlike most trees. Apparently that makes it okay in-universe, though I wouldn't recommend following their example.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I dunno, I kinda like the idea of naming a wooly Micah for some reason.

The buffamoo, on the other hand, I have nothing for. I'm terrible at naming stuff.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For the Buffamoo, how about Malon?

I feel stupid now. We've got a Link, so why not get milk from Malon the Buffamoo?

Also, if you decide to get more of the production monsters, this gives precedent to help name any others.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Haifisch posted:

...I could dash right to the chest, which has a spell in it. I have no idea if this is a good spell or not, because I don't really bother with magic in any of the RF games. :v: (I'll show it off for the LP, at least)

I think that one's pretty good, though magic in general tends to be outclassed by just punching things in the Rune Factory series.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

I'm... reasonably certain you're not supposed to make ice cream with your bare hands. Also, wouldn't unflavored ice cream be kinda boring?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

someone awful. posted:

Name a chicken Eggman

This MUST HAPPEN.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Am I the only one who's decided to just skip over Marian's quests?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

MightyPretenders posted:

Raven would be a nice candidate once she's over her neuroses.

She certainly appeals to me. Most of these lunatics weird me out too much to find them attractive.

MightyPretenders posted:

Marian and Collette will never be in the running.

For good reason. Between the two, though, Collette's less terrible, so she's at least got that going for her.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Hm...? (Everything's foggy.) Is this a poisonous mushroom?
What?!
You said you like eating stuff off the ground, didn't you? Well, open up. (I dare you to eat this.)
H-Hey! I won't eat just anything I find!

Actually, as counterintuitive as it may sound, I would recommend actually eating them. After all, as shown in that skill update at the end, status resistances are counted as skills. Therefore, eating the various poisonous mushrooms (which, if I'm remembering correctly, can inflict nearly any status problem depending on the specimen) can count as immunization training! :pseudo:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

I'm also almost certain that the gloves in RF4 don't directly map to a tool and thus don't harm crops, but I don't even know if they're in this game.

Gloves in RF4 are lifted directly from RF3's transformed attacks (same animations and everything). So basically, fighting on farmland is fine if you're a sheep at the time!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Did we already vote on wives yet? I keep confusing LPs

Pretty sure we haven't. I, for one, am waiting until more of the requests are seen before submitting my vote; I think the OP's waiting to ask for votes for a similar reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I'll go with Raven due to being my personal favorite.

• Locked thread