Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

AHHHHHHHHHHH! I love this game, its so much better than 4, entirely because of pretty much the only mechanic that 4 dropped. I wont let you live it down if you dont max every single villager's affection for said mechanic I'm avoiding because maybe its a spoiler? Idk, I'm bad at dealing with this stuff because it doesnt bother me at all, so warn me kindly if I say something I shouldnt have.
Go with Defaults since the names I use wont be voted on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

He really wasnt kidding. Honestly its a bit offputting at first, but later on its actually endearing.

About the reverse gimmick, I HATED it at first, but somehow or another by the end of my first playthrough, I loved it. Now to hope no one else in anything ever trys to do this so it stays unique.

Considering this is 3, yes it is something in the water.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Haifisch posted:

Thread voting, once we're far enough that I can expect people(who haven't already played this) to have opinions on them.

Although we'll be seeing quite a bit of each of them, thanks to the way the request system works.

Oh right, people that have never played before. Welp now that the votes arnt just up to the people that have already played and want to see what other girls are like, I think I know who the wife will be.

I request you go into as much detail as possible about character requests as possible, and to max everyone.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nyaa posted:

I recall this game have insane amount of script for each character. Everyday's conversation is different for a long, long time before you even felt a repeat. Crap ton of events for each bachelor that i held back marriage to go through them all.

Now that you mention it, yeah there is alot of daily dialogue. I never really thought about it because I was too busy obsessing over how great it was that every single character has a full chain of events to go through at every affection level to truly befriend them, I never knew how much I loved it till 4 removed it for no conceivable reason whatsoever. Yes I'm bitter.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

To go with the guy that forgot Eating Girl; I forgot the existence of Monica and Carmen's hat. Its a great hat, how'd I forget it?

Dude Sofia is great, somehow or another I managed to like her endgame so much that I actually picked her over the publicly recognized best girl on my first file. I really hope we can somehow go a different route because I want to see what its like to go sleeping/ with the fishes.

You never know how much you can love a stupid bulletin board till you have to live without it.

I kind of want a remake of 3 where they add the female version 4 had, 50% because Gaius is great, and 50% because I know girls that loved 4 but vehemently refuse to play 3 without being a girl that can marry dudes.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

As much as graphics are the absolute last thing that matters, jesus those models burn my eyes now. Its like they compressed an image as far as they could before it divided by zero.

Also seriously why isnt Evelyn a ring bearer option, shes in the age range and everything, I think she's unique in just getting shafted like that, everyone else is a mom or something,

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly with what he's been encountering, I think his verbal reactions have been perfectly realistic. You show me a...uh, dog-person? What is Pia, anyway? Anyway, you show me a person with gigantic floppy ear-hair...things who is completely obsessed with baths to the exclusion of everything else, and I'd spend a lot of time imitating Tina Belcher too.

Its tied in with her plot, but think about her gimmick and its not a stretch.

I love the designs of Daria, Carmen, and Pia so they all had the best first impressions. But of the 3 times I've managed to get married, its never been them, I think it goes to show immensely how much the request system helps you befriend and learn about the villagers. I mean we already learned that ... is a caring individual with a knack for manipulating a dwarfs schedule for his own good from it and we're still in the tutorial quests rather than the character quests. Obligatory rant about it being removed for 4 here(I'll try to stop mentioning it soon).

I like to use all the weapons evenly myself, I have a bit of an obsession with keeping things balanced when its easy to control so you know lv 40 with every weapon no matter how much I dislike the controls.

I'm really starting to crave a replay but 4 did good in the quality of life improvements and I'm obsessive about doing everything at the speed of light so I get stressed out in these games so its a bit hard. I'm a chatterbox about things I love, sorry.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I love Carmen's Master schtick, also I never knew she hurt you, I wonder if she can knock you out if she finishes off your hp.

The first time I played RF3 I was emulating it, and the fish shadows alone refused to work so fishing was so hard, the good news was after mehing on harvest moon for a decade, I loved it so much that I immediately ran out and bought 1, 2, and 3. I sadly started with 3 so playing 1 and 2 is pretty much impossible.

Also gently caress Mei, gently caress everything about anything that actually uses Nintendo Wifi features for all of eternity, and gently caress em again because they cant be used anymore.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Setsubun is the weirdest Japanese holiday. It feels like all of Japan celebrated it once 1000 years ago, and somehow never did it again, but also never forgot about it. I dont think any part of Japan still does it, it just randomly revives itself to be put in a random series every few years. I'm bad at the minigame too, but I dont quit till I'm #1! I also average out to 3rd or 2nd so maybe I'm not bad.

Also god so much personality even if its reliant on a trope trait. This is why I think 4 is so lacking, the character requests give you a mandatory insight into who the characters are which inspires you to look for more and you dont get disappointed after. I dont think 4 has any groups like Raven/Karina/Sofia 3 young girls that are just friends without working together, plot shenanigans, or being family, theyre just friends and its a beautiful dynamic. 4 did have the honor of being the first game to have an actual plot, rather than just an ending, but only like half the characters get involved with the plot at all, and the random events are, well random and super infrequent so I never had any motivation to actually raise friendship levels, I wasnt being rewarded for it like this game does so well. The only characters in 4 I can remember the names of off the top of my heard are Forte due to getting nothing but her random events, Arthur cuz Its my last name, and Ventus cuz Dragon. Even without this LP I could list off half the character's names.

Sofia is just somehow so charming with her reverse nonsense, and Raven's moments of actual dialogue are just so nice to see. I dont think I ever noticed Collete's heart eyes, but It's inspired me to remember her name! I like Shino's moments of battlelust alot too. And Pia and Sakuya are good sisters even if they arnt really sisters. I cant think of anything for Daria or Carmen right now, but I know I'll have something to obsess over eventually.

God I love this game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Its only been a week, am I crazy or does 3 affection rise faster than 4 affection?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oh my god, I love this game. I love this game so much, I almost forgot why I loved Rune factory so much when I first found it, but the spark is back! I swear I'm gonna start playing along with you soon.

Hows the 4 SSLP? I bookmarked it but never started. General style, completionism, are they grinding out the random events, etc?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I wonfer if we can get quality of life remakes from 1 and 2 and a graphics remake from 3. Even I want to complain about those models, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

After 4 I'd prefer a remake tbh. I know Im a broken record about this but the removal of the character requests is just such a major thing that Im shocked 4 was so well recieved. I think everyone will agree that the main appeal is befriending the villagers and interacting with them, and while its still there even without character requests it went from being a well maintained road to one full of potholes and shattered asphalt.

In 3 every single day has a goal, run your routine of farming and villager freindships and get rewarded with quests to befriend and interact with them, you have a constrant stream that never lets up and fills you with motivation. Also do dungeons because its fun and kind of required to advance most things.

4 still has the routine, but youre no longer rewarded for doing it. Instead you get plot that is focused on a select handful(?)/half(?) of the characters and randomly triggered events that are in much shorter supply and just dont happen often. I beat the plot and never saw enough to get with any of the characters I wanted to, and I had no motivation to max everyones affection despite doing so all 3 playthroughs of 3 I did. Hell I think 3 was my most played DS game.

And since 4 did well, I dont think theyre gonna put actual effort to bring 3's style back. This is all dependant on whoever owns the license now doing anything with it though. Ill try to make this the last time I rant about this, and If I somehow missed such a major feature of 4 that it would help me enjoy it more, please do tell.

• Locked thread