Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red19fire
May 26, 2010

One of my favorite things in the world is job requests for free work, either through my own website or Craigslist. Model Mayhem is also great for delusional idiots & wannabes. Similar to the Ideas Guy in bitcoin, everyone has a great opportunity for you, you just need to work for free indefinitely and you'll definitely get paid at some undefined point in the future, or this will turn into a paying job. There's such a fascinating element of hubris to these jerkoffs; they call it an internship even though you're doing everything an employee does, for free.

Search your local craigslist gigs section for 'unpaid intern', and see what comes up. Post text or screenshots, most ads get flagged fairly quickly. The other thing to look for is TF/TFP/TFCD, for whatever reason people think this is a magic incantation that gets professionals to work for free.

As a sister thread to Assistant Horror Stories, this thread is equal parts ridicule and education because no matter your skill level your work has value, it is them who are wrong. Just because they don't want to pay someone doesn't make it an internship or a good opportunity. The textbook (and legal) definition of an intern is someone who knows absolutely nothing about a profession, is working for free in order to learn, doesn't replace a paid employee and in most cases would be a hindrance to the professional. Any 'internship' where they want you to have expert level skills or professional grade equipment is actually a job, and you should be getting paid for it.

I live in the greater NYC area, so this kind of nonsense is endemic to the creative industries, but there's also a lot of exploitation by other creative people. Cannibalizing your own kind is unforgivable.

quote:

We are a photography studio based in Westchester County shooting over 100 events a year. For a Bat Mitzvah we are shooting on April 1 from 7pm-11pm, the client is not paying for a 2nd shooter but is requesting an intern/apprentice type photographer to come along for added coverage.
If you are passionate about photography, own your own equipment, and are interested in building your event experience and portfolio - please contact us with a link to some samples of your work and a short bio about yourself.
Potential for future 2nd shooter paid gigs based on your work, personality, and work ethic.

Well dressed at event a must.
no pay:

This is a classic example. They need a second shooter, but they don't want to pay for one, and they're too spineless to demand the client pay for one. But they also need them to be good, hence why they're vetting your portfolio. Guess what, you don't get a second shooter!

Or, if you're a huge cynical rear end in a top hat like me, you will apply for this job and play along until you cancel the night before. This is the only way shitlords will learn.

quote:

Hello!

Thought to put this out here in case there is someone looking for this type of role (What you are seeking for is also seeking you right? Rumi quote).

Am on the hunt for a student photographer who is interested in building their portfolio/resume and also looking to receive internship credit through their University. I need assistance in developing a circulation of photos for my Instagram brand and I was hoping there might be a few individuals on here that have an eye or this kind of thing. Think glamorous mixed with girl next door vibe. Bohemian yet modern and very real. These photos will be yours to feature in your portfolio in exchange for your help with taking them. Instagram trends are predicting we are moving away from perfectly curated photos to something more real and yet still very aesthetically pleasing that people can relate to. If you have an inspiring IG account or portfolio and are interested in this kind of partnership, please do share and I would love to hear from you! Thanks all.

Dalia
no pay:

A good red flag is someone who insists on a 'student' anything. Plus, to do a real internship program you have to register with a university and go through an entire application process. 'Instagram fashion blogger' is always a red flag too. Nothing says authentic like hiring someone else to produce all your content for you.

My rule of thumb for free work is only if I get complete creative control, it's something I would do anyway, and if it's non commercial. Dalia here is obviously angling to monetize their #brand, that's already a no-go, if they were doing it for fun they wouldn't be trying to get a student to produce professional level posts. Which brings us to creative control: since Dalia wants to tell me exactly what they want and how to do it, that's going to cost them. I'll photograph my macchiato for myself, all day, for free; when someone else wants me to shoot their espresso in line with their #brand identity, get your loving wallet out.

quote:

I am looking for someone with a passion in photographer who will help me build my instagram account. Must be film, or even digital. I want the pics to have that vibrant grainy effect. Please respond with IG/ website or whatever. If u don't have any of these don't bother responding.
no pay:

quote:

Looking for Photographer For Glamgerous (Fashion Blog-Personal Style)

New York City, Manhattan, n/a

Hi guys!
I am currently looking for a part-time photographer for my Fashion and Personal Style Blog: glamgerous.com.

Basic Responsibilities:

- Photograph products for the website; still shots and lifestyle shots, with me.

You should be ::

// Able to Work with DSLR cameras specifically familiar with canon 5D.

// Passionate and knowledgeable about fashion.

// Reliable, organized, and detail oriented

// Experienced with social media, with a good eye

// A positive human :)

I am asking for 1-2 days a week of availability; the schedule is flexible. I will provide you the camera and you will not have to work on the post-production.
You will get special mention credits on the website and you can keep the pictures for your personal portfolio.

This is a non-paid opportunity.

Please submit a link to your online portfolio, if you have it, and include a little bit about yourself.

Thank you!!

Can't wait to hear from you!
xx

Camilla

It's the same song and dance for all of them: I need ______ but I don't want to pay for it.

Once you start to see the common threads, it becomes a fun game of trying to find the point where they're trying to rationalize the Ask:

quote:

Videographer and Photographer Amateur/Mature

South Jersey, Pa, Nj, De, Ny, n/a

So here's the deal. I have a client that is getting married in Vegas. She needs a videographer and photographer for her BIG day (June 17, 2017). She is will to pay for your airfare to Vegas in exchange for your services on her BIG day. She only needs pre-wedding, ceremony and a few hours post wedding on the town. The rest of the trip is ALL YOURS.

Hotels are only $29-40 a night.....

Feel free to contact me for more details. I am her wedding planner and will be traveling with you as well to ensure a fantastic trip for all.
compensation: Barter for Services:

quote:

Local Buffalo recording artist looking for camera operator with a drone or jib for a 4 hour video shoot January 29, 2017. Location of the video will be near Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo,NY.

Video to be distributed on Jay-z's streaming label Tidal.

This opportunity is for someone looking to build their resume. No Pay. Food and Transportation (if applicable) provided. Leaving from New York City.
no pay:

Psst: One of the reasons Jay-Z started Tidal was so artists would get a more fair royalty deal from streaming services :ironicat:

quote:

We are a start up offering romantic dinner and cooking classes to couples. We are looking for students and recent grads who are interested in showcasing their work and building their portfolio.

Again there is NO PAY but
-You will be given FULL CREDIT for your work
-Your name and contact info will be featured on our website
-We will provide references whenever needed
- You will be able to work from your own pace remotely

We need:
-2 or 3 designers to collaborate on our website and other marketing prints
-1 translator French and/or Haitian Creole to English
-1 photographer preferably with food photography experience

Please reply to this ad with a phone number or email and we will contact you to set up a phone interview.

Please do not flag this ad if you have any concerns please email us and we will be happy to clarify.

quote:

Hi,

Looking for a photographer for an online fitness boutique, Recess. Lifestyle shots as well as product shots will need to be taken.

We love Nike and Under Armour's brand aesthetic. Someone with fitness photography experience would be great.

Please send over your portfolio and any social media accounts you may have.

25 - 30 final photos. Retouching is preferred but can be discussed as well.

Compensation: Trade but can be negotiated.

Best,
JB
no pay:

quote:

Live Loud Universal is an up and coming full-fledged entertainment company based out of Philadelphia. Live Loud Universal main focus is Artist Management/Development, Promotion, and booking mainly working with hip hop, R&B, Pop artists, Producers, and dancers. Although music is the main focus of our company we also work with film production, fashion designing, graphic designing and more. Our multi-Purpose facility is equipped with a 150 person live venue space, Professional Recording Studio, Photography Studio, Custom Apparel Room and 2 Private offices.

Become part of the team we are in need of staff for our new Facility:
Actors
Actresses
Assistants
Producers
Songwriters
Street Team (promoters)
Graphic Designers
Photographers
Videographers
Bloggers

****These are non-paid intern positions that could receive promotional apparel***
Please email us Resume and list of skills to
no pay:

These clowns have been reposting this ad for at least 3 years. When I lived in Philadelphia they reached out to me to pitch working for them as an intern, and also that as part of that internship not only was I on-call to shoot their 'artists' for any usage & licensing they wanted for free, they needed a key and 24/7 access to my studio. Which I lived in as a live/work loft space. They were very mad when I laughed & refused, their posts for a few months afterwards included references to Haters Trying To Hold [Them] Back. Also how can you be up & coming and full-fledged at the same time?

quote:

BÁSICO STUDIOS was founded in Miami and has recently opened a studio in Brooklyn, NYC.
We shoot fashion editorials, campaigns, lookbooks, portraits, model tests among many other productions.
Always in the hunt for new exciting projects, the studio's main photographer, Cesar Balcazar, and producer and stylist Martina Arcucci, need someone excited and prepared to learn, bring ideas, and be creative.
cesarbalcazar.co
martiarcucci.com

Responsibilities:

-Coordinate photo shoots.
-Be creative: prepare mood-boards, provide ideas.
-Help create budgets.
-Assist on styling (pulling, returning, be on set ready to work).
-Assist on production (prior, during, and after every project).
-Have excellent presence and vocabulary creative meetings with clients.
-Have excellent presence and vocabulary in work phone calls.
-Write proper e-mails

Requirements:

-Interested in fashion, photography and art
-Usage of Adobe Photoshop, Indesign/Illustrator, and Excell spreadsheets.
-Organized, responsible, multi-tasker.
-Bilingual (English and Spanish) is a plus, but not mandatory.
-Passion for fashion and photography.
-Demonstrate attention to details while maintaining perspective.
-THIS INTERNSHIP IS A JOB. WE WILL TREAT OUR INTERN AS TEAM MEMBER AND EXPECT HARD WORK AND STRONG AMBITION.
no pay:

I bolded the last line because it's the most important. Weird how they can afford a large studio space in Brooklyn, but don't have a dime to spare for an intern doing the work of a photo assistant and producer!

quote:

My agent says I need new headshots and I simply don't have the budget...spent everything on Christmas gifts!

I am looking for a photographer looking to build his/her headshot portfolio. I need two shots - a commercial and legit. I am a redhead.

It would take an hour or two, and we can shoot outside in natural light, or ideally in a well-lit studio.

I attend a conservatory program, so I will make sure to connect you with the acting community and buy you lunch! Much appreciated.
no pay:

1. Never trust a client's estimate of time consumption. 2. All this person is going to tell their friends is 'this photographer will work for free'. 3. Real agencies do not accept portfolio photos from 'somebody off craigslist', they have an in-house photographer, or connections to tried-and-trusted professionals; real actors/models/whoever treat their portfolio as an investment.

I've got a million more, but you get the idea. If this thread had a spirit animal, it would be :ironicat:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
"The textbook (and legal) definition of an intern is someone who knows absolutely nothing about a profession, is working for free in order to learn, doesn't replace a paid employee and in most cases would be a hindrance to the professional. Any 'internship' where they want you to have expert level skills or professional grade equipment is actually a job, and you should be getting paid for it."

Agreed.

Now make the case for an untested individual, in a professional environment that actively, or through sheer inexperience, sabotages the brand they are representing.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VendaGoat posted:

"The textbook (and legal) definition of an intern is someone who knows absolutely nothing about a profession, is working for free in order to learn, doesn't replace a paid employee and in most cases would be a hindrance to the professional. Any 'internship' where they want you to have expert level skills or professional grade equipment is actually a job, and you should be getting paid for it."

Agreed.

Now make the case for an untested individual, in a professional environment that actively, or through sheer inexperience, sabotages the brand they are representing.

Stop defending cheap assholes on craigslist in a thread about making fun of cheap assholes on craigslist.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

Stop defending cheap assholes on craigslist in a thread about making fun of cheap assholes on craigslist.

Sure. But, only because it's you.

Have at em. I'll be over here leaning against the wall, smoking a cig.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

Do you have experience sailing? Are you a filmmaker / screenwriter / animator etc? Want to be a part of a one-of-a-kind documentary experience?

Experienced Sailing and Video Production Crew needed for documentary-style travelogue around nautical NYC.
Emphasis on the legends and landmarks of forgotten NYC maritime history along with local color, cuisine, & nightlife.
Additional interests covered will include the science, art, & folklore of NYC as a shipping port.
Experienced Captain serves as the program Host.

Each show will be shot using fixed and handheld cameras (drone experts encouraged) aboard a vintage sailboat moored in Manhattan with additional segments on land.
Destinations include Coney Island, the Rockaways, Sandy Hook, LI Sound, and numerous islands in and around NYC to name a few.

Filming began 2015 and we had an incredible start. We're looking to add to our crew roster and finish the pilot this season. Once a solid pilot has been filmed our goal is to be picked up by a national network. Looking to shoot land features ASAP and begin regular shoots on the water during the sailing season of 2017 (May-Oct). There is no monetary compensation at this time, however some food and beverage will be provided as well as an amazing summer on the water!

If you are a serious, professional 25+ year old with a can-do attitude, intrinsic understanding of the word 'teamwork', and a thirst for adventure, please see the list below. First consideration will be given to those with Sailing crew experience*. In your response, please include any talents, skills, and equipment that you'd be willing to put into service for the project - GoPro camera, drone, screenwriting skills, etc.

Due to logistics of being confined aboard a sailboat, we'll need to limit total crew onboard to 6 or less per sail.
Because of this, all aboard will need to wear multiple hats - meaning at minimum every crew member has two jobs.
Preference will be given to those who can do three or more of the below.
Landlubbers (those with no sailing desire or the inconsolably seasick) are also needed for pre & post production duties.

Sailing*
Video Production / Cinematography
Animation - for "Sea Tales" animated segment as told by special guests
Drone camera pilot
Lighting
Photography

First Aid
Navigation
Mechanics
Diesel Maintenance / Repair
Scuba - commercial diver a BIG plus
Galley - food / drink prep, cooking, cleanup
Boat Maintenance / Cleaning

Research
Maritime History
Marine Biology
Oceanography
Cartography
Screenwriting
Journalism
Grant writing
Marketing / Promotion
Web Design
Social Media
Video / Sound Editing

Please reply to this ad with a brief description of your experience, skill sets, and a little about yourself.
We look forward to adding new members for our amazing team!

One of my favorite Ideas Guys :allears: He reached out to me last year for this same project. Needed photography, videography, and a drone flown around the ship; as well as editing on site. He would not be responsible if any of this equipment fell in the water, I would have to live on the ship for 3 months minimum and I would have to pay my own way for food. "If you got a couple grand saved up it's a great opportunity for exposure."

quote:

Looking for INTERN

Our brand needs assistance with tasks including:

Social Media, Blog Posting, Fabric Sourcing, Researching Design Inspirations , Event Prep, Production Follow up.

We are looking for RockStar intern who wants to grow with a brand and is a self starter...

Please only SERIOUS inquiries.

Please send resume and bio. As well as a short statement about your goals and a headshot.

Another good rule of thumb is that any post mentioning Guru, Wizard, Ninja or Rock Star is not going to pay you fairly, if at all.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If I can't pay my landlord with it, you don't get to pay me with it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Sauer posted:

Until I can buy liquor with exposure and networking opportunities you're gonna pay me.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sauer posted:

SoundMonkey posted:

Until I can buy liquor with exposure and networking opportunities you're gonna pay me.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Bets on vendagoats ad having being posted?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

underage at the vape shop posted:

Bets on vendagoats ad having being posted?

Soundmonkey makes it a :toxx: for charities to food banks around the country and I will play along.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Internships as unpaid professional work are very bad. Volunteer work at charities and soup kitchens are very good and very different.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Internships as unpaid professional work are very bad. Volunteer work at charities and soup kitchens are very good and very different.

I stand by my previous statement. :grin:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VendaGoat posted:

Soundmonkey makes it a :toxx: for charities to food banks around the country and I will play along.

unless i hear otherwise i take this to mean that you're offering to get banned if someone gives ten dollars to a food bank charity

i'm not saying this is a thing (although please give generously to your local food bank and DONT GIVE THEM CANNED PUMPKIN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU) just to clarify

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
excuse me canned pumpkin gets scarce around the holidays.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

unless i hear otherwise i take this to mean that you're offering to get banned if someone gives ten dollars to a food bank charity

i'm not saying this is a thing (although please give generously to your local food bank and DONT GIVE THEM CANNED PUMPKIN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU) just to clarify

Oh you are very much putting the sword of Damocles over me. You are also leaving me room to negotiate, which I am thankful for.

Here is what I am proposing. I have recently offered something that is within this thread's auspice. What it is I have offered is obfuscated to the non-initiated of my posting. Which means, someone would have to flat out doxx me to prove it. Which also means I am of sound mind and body to challenge.

Here is my statement. There is such a thing as, "Beneficial exposure work." The caveat to such being, the entity offering such exposure work has to be of such exemplary standing that it would be seen as a benefit on a work application in the field in which you are attempting to apply. In very layman's terms that means a charity, or a person whom volunteers their time and effort to a charity. Something that we all know an employer or a college would just "eat up". The catch being, you have to prove to the person who is offering the "work for hire" a solid reason, with honest and pure intent, to whatever their requirements are. And reap any and all such consequences, including a negative review of your work, should the person you are working under deems it.

In very plain terms. If you can not satisfy that they would be benefited by you working for them, so that they could benefit you, don't even apply. One hand washes the other and so on and so forth.

Since we are having a negotiation SoundMonkey. And I have flat out expounded on my intent. Would you like to rephrase, or shall I just walk from this thread and say, whatever?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VendaGoat posted:

Oh you are very much putting the sword of Damocles over me. You are also leaving me room to negotiate, which I am thankful for.

Here is what I am proposing. I have recently offered something that is within this thread's auspice. What it is I have offered is obfuscated to the non-initiated of my posting. Which means, someone would have to flat out doxx me to prove it. Which also means I am of sound mind and body to challenge.

Here is my statement. There is such a thing as, "Beneficial exposure work." The caveat to such being, the entity offering such exposure work has to be of such exemplary standing that it would be seen as a benefit on a work application in the field in which you are attempting to apply. In very layman's terms that means a charity, or a person whom volunteers their time and effort to a charity. Something that we all know an employer or a college would just "eat up". The catch being, you have to prove to the person who is offering the "work for hire" a solid reason, with honest and pure intent, to whatever their requirements are. And reap any and all such consequences, including a negative review of your work, should the person you are working under deems it.

In very plain terms. If you can not satisfy that they would be benefited by you working for them, so that they could benefit you, don't even apply. One hand washes the other and so on and so forth.

Since we are having a negotiation SoundMonkey. And I have flat out expounded on my intent. Would you like to rephrase, or shall I just walk from this thread and say, whatever?

jesus christ

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

jesus christ

Wrong son.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What are you even trying to say. Your posts dont make sense dude.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VendaGoat posted:

Wrong son.

as one of the worst posters on something aweful dot com, please explain why long-winded pedantry is worthy of anything but a kitten-cage

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SoundMonkey posted:

as one of the worst posters on something aweful dot com, please explain why long-winded pedantry is worthy of anything but a kitten-cage

oh my god i just went through your queue history and the 'scapegoat' av wasn't given by a mod or admin, it must have gone through the purchase system. please say it wasn't you.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure I remember it from one of those draw me an av gbs threads aaaages ago

feels good to not be the worst poster in the dorkroom

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 23, 2017

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i vote to vote vendagoat off the island

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'm pretty sure I remember it from one of those draw me an av gbs threads aaaages ago

feels good to not be the worst poster in the dorkroom

is #2 any less shameful really? not even good at posting bad

also it said goat before not scapegoat

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the best at being the worst is also the worst at being the best. And vice versa

Im comfortable somewhere in the middle.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

A good thread ruined by really lovely posting

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
In Australia, unpaid intern work work is illegal unless its through a university or tafe as a part of the required coursework. You have to apply to the university and students have to search through them to find the internship and it has to be educational. Students have to get course credit out of it, meaning employers have to go through the uni. Still doesn't stop people from posting on facebook job pages though:

quote:

UNPAID WORK EXPERIENCE OPPORTUNITY:
Film/ Marketing & Advertising student required to help build the brand of a growing company by assisting to film & edit video marketing content. CBD Location.
Key requirements:
-Must have experience with film and audio creation, editing and uploading content.
-Marketing & Advertising knowledge or experience would be highly advantageous.
-Access to, or owning of cameras/ microphone equipment would be highly advantageous. (Insurance for the equipment would be provided in this instance.)
For more information, or to express your interest, please send your updated Resume & a Cover Letter to rebecca@IExploitStudents or find the advertisement on CareerHub

Basically, I want a film and tv grad who took all the marketing electives and has the equivalent of a few years experience and their own equipment. It's definitely an educational internship though!

This is an open and close FairWork case for illegal employment, which someone pointed out. The Response:

quote:

Hi Joseph & Evan, if you have any concerns over the legality of this opportunity, please feel free to contact the UQ BEL SET team. They have been assisting us with this process, and we have been arranging this Work Experience opportunity through them. We would not employ someone under illegal circumstances, nor would be provide a Work Experience Opportunity without checking if it was at all possible with the specialised staff at the University first.

Oh yes yes we definitely went through the university thats why we are asking for interns on facebook and not through the universities channels as the univeristy requires us to do. From the UQ BEL (Business, Economics, and Law) site:

quote:

Successful candidates will secure an unpaid professional full-time internship for two to three weeks during the semester break. The work experience placements will be with Brisbane-based organisations relevant to your studies. These organisations will be a mix of small, medium and large across a range of industries.

It's week 4 of Australian semester 1. These internships aren't run for another 10-11 weeks. You have to apply for these internships through your faculties website after attending information sessions and registering your interest.

They definitely went through UQ guys this is definitely legit!!! Thats why they are primarilly looking for a film grad in the economics and law faculty. If they actually employ an intern like this they are legally hosed.

E: I'm not 100% sure on UQ's stance, but another Brisbane uni, QUT, requires that their students be paid a wage if they aren't there purely for education. My friend got paid to do an internship because he was the one sitting in the datacenter at night and was responsible for fixing it if it went down. The datacenter served international clients and needed 24 hour reliability so it was a real job.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 24, 2017

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

red19fire posted:

Scuba - Commerical diver a big plus

I wonder if this guy is aware that the commercial diver day rate is between $400 and $800 for open water and that besides the helmet and a few other bits, most commercial divers don't own the hundreds upon thousands of dollars worth of equipment that commercial diving requires.*

It isn't any different in the South either. Houston doesn't have nearly the volume of creative work as New York, but since we're the 4th largest city in the US, there is always some shitter looking to screw you over on Craigs List.

quote:

Immediate need for photographer to retrieve, photograph and return 15 - 25 (could be more) home decor products to/from a warehouse in Houston (preferred near 300 W Airtex Blvd) - Or could photo shoot on location. Products must be picked up and returned in about 3-4 days. Maybe even take them to a barn or a farm for a cool location. Photos must be stylized to complement our "look" and to highlight how products are used. No white backgrounds. We focus on vintage, farmhouse, shabby chic and French country styles. Photos will be used to sell products on a retail home decor website. We will own all the rights to the resulting photos (you can certainly include them in your portfolio.)

If interested, available and willing to work for free, respond to this add immediately with your portfolio. We will provide you with more specific info and an email to send sample photos to. We are anxious to get this lined up immediately. May lead to more work in the coming year. Serious, qualified applicants only please.

No pay

This little gem caught my attention because the address they give is on the far North side of the city. That is a two hour drive from downtown in traffic and public transportation in Houston is a joke who's punchline involves setting you on fire.
So, in addition to wanting to make money off your work, their obvious ignorance of copyright laws, and expecting great work for nothing, they also want you to drop some pretty serious gas money to get all of this done.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

pop group seeking TFP photographer

Los Angeles, n/a

new male pop group seeking creative tfp shoots for press and social media! great for portfolio builders or talented up-and-comers.
this group includes the son of a famous pop icon and will gain mass exposure late spring 2017.
please send website link to your work. thank you!
no pay:

Music groups/producers are also fun, everyone wants free stuff.

My favorite was by a guy looking for album artwork (the theme was to recreate an iconic Billy Joel cover), for free, pleading poverty, no budget, etc. But if you googled his name, it turns out he had recently successfully funded a kickstarter to the tune of around $40k, one of the stated goals was to pay for professional photography for album artwork & a music video.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

quote:

Hi,

We're launching a new jewelry line coming up and we're looking to work with a local photographer!

Our budget is tight and we cannot pay. This could be really great for your portfolio!

What we're looking for: Some one local looking to build they're portfolio, able to see our vision and work with us well so that we can translate it into reality.

The purpose of this shoot is multi-faceted. Obviously we're looking to build a campaign up from the ground for our line, but we also want to focus heavily on the local community and find a way to mutually build and encourage one another. Additionally, the purpose of this campaign to speak to unity on a much broader societal level as well as locally.

We will feed you on site if you participate!

If you're interested, please email for more info.

Thank you. :)

Just standard run-of-the-mill stuff, except that this is a jewelry boutique that just opened up in a rather affluent neighborhood. So, they either spent all of their start-up money on the building, or they are just cheap fuckers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If it's a jewelry store it can easily be both

E: lmao pay is a quickly ordered jimmy johns or pizza. That's amazing

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

Social Enlites is a marketing and management company.
Our mission is to provide enlighting marketing and innovative creative services that stimulate all senses (including the sixth).

THIS IS A NON-PAID OPPORTUNITY.

Our clients include athletes and various entertainers. We are currently working on a sports show pilot that will be filmed for 2 days at the 40/40 sports lounge in NYC. We are looking for dope videographers who can film and add a fresh perspective on the creative direction.

Responsibilities
- Assist in all aspects of video and photographic communications and contribute to planning and storyboarding
- Assist in the end-to-end process from storyboarding to logistics to shooting to editing and publishing
- Film video and shoot photographs in field environments
- Contribute to mixing and editing to create polished and engaging videos
- Publish videos primarily to the web and touch-up still photography

Requirements
- Ability to deliver videos with cuts, graphics, sound and other elements that convey a quality production value and a level of technical sophistication
- Experience with Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Captivate and Adobe Photoshop
- Knowledge of digital videography and photography cameras and equipment
- Must have a passion for sports and entertainment
- Must have a great sense of humor
-Must be 21 and older ( why be at a sports bar and not drink?)
no pay:

Hi, we need a videographer with professional level skills, equipment, experience & time management to shoot a TV pilot. But this is definitely an internship. Pay: you might meet a celebrity.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If you get sloshed and can't work then you atleast have the excuse of them encouraging you to drink

from facebook. not unpaid but still scummy

quote:

Looking for suggestions!!
I am a part time photographer, mostly work on weekends as I have a full time job. Has been in the photography profession over 10 years. Two days ago, I was contacted by one person who is interested to engage me in his wedding coming on next month. He got my contact from one of his photographer friends who is helping him to choose the right photographer. He mentioned his friend as one of the best photographers in Brisbane :/ .
Here's the catch. He offered me $300 for his 5 hours wedding. He even compared my quotation (which is obviously standard) with another top photographer. He offered him $300 for 6 hours wedding, including an assistant and post wedding photo-shoot one week after the ceremony. I am unsure who is the photographer is! However, he has booked one of the popular golf clubs in North Brisbane for his wedding and reception ceremony for 8 hours. He is spending a lot according to him in other aspects, but don't have budget for the photographers. Surprisingly, he wants me to go to the ceremony spots in this weekend and also wants to inspect my gears as well :/ .
No way, I am not gonna agree with him. I never encountered this type of situation in my 10 years professional life (5 years here and 5 years back in my country). Therefore, I am looking for your valuable suggestions about how to approach to him so that another photographer in Brissie does not need to encounter this type of situation in future.
STAY SAFE FROM THE BAD WEATHER AND BAD CONTRACTS!

Hi, yes, I found a professional photographer who'll do a shittonne and pay an assistant for $300. Which is why I'm here offering you, an amateur, the same amount for less work overall (but still a poo poo tonne). No, I'm not full of poo poo, why do you ask.

I like that he brags about spending loads of money, and tries to use his poor budgeting skills to guilt trip you into it.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

quote:

Our mission is to provide enlighting marketing and innovative creative services that stimulate all senses (including the sixth).

:ghost:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

If you get sloshed and can't work then you atleast have the excuse of them encouraging you to drink

from facebook. not unpaid but still scummy

Hi, yes, I found a professional photographer who'll do a shittonne and pay an assistant for $300. Which is why I'm here offering you, an amateur, the same amount for less work overall (but still a poo poo tonne). No, I'm not full of poo poo, why do you ask.

I like that he brags about spending loads of money, and tries to use his poor budgeting skills to guilt trip you into it.

It's either a bluff, or a lovely undercutter who cannot possibly deliver. The best response is "I Double-loving-Dog Dare you to hire that guy." I have done this before; I put in a bid for a product job for a t-shirt company, and some guy from Delaware offered to do the job for free and even pay for the studio rental etc out of pocket, just to 'build his portfolio'. Surprise surprise, a month later the proofs they got were poo poo, called me back, and balked when my estimate increased by 50%.

I've also gotten pleas of poverty from clients, only to check their social media where their most recent activity is bragging about buying a $100k+ car.

on to the posts:

quote:

Hi im Vince Allen, i am an award winning director and documentary film maker (Best director in the 2013 Philadelphia 48 Film Fest) and have submitted and won multiple films in festivals internationally. I have put together a team of individuals for a film i am submitting to the NBC FILM FESTIVAL May 15. Although I have all my own equipment i truly would rather have a person who not only has better equipment, but a specific eye for filming and desire to create crystal clarity pictures to really give us a chance to win this Festival. This is the most powerful screen play I've done in my career and i want every aspect of it to be top of the line. If you feel you are the caliber of quality that can be part of this team please reply with a reel of your work! I look forward to hearing from you soon!
no pay:

I saw a great one a while ago that was a plea for *every possible position in a film production* to work for free, because the guy claimed to work in hollywood and 'Take it from me, friends, this will be an Oscar contender for sure', and the pitch was the laziest Sopranos derivative you can imagine.

quote:

A high-end designer swimwear brand is seeking a photography intern to help in creating marketing content for the brand. The intern's primary responsibilities will include taking high quality still life photographs and retouching images for final use. We are looking to create content that is representative of the brand and highlights the quality, detail and thought that has gone into each swimsuit. The line has select distribution and is carried in top retailers globally.

When: Early-Mid April (TBD)
Where: NYC
How: Creative collab also see qualifications
Why: see objective

Objective:
Communicate the brand's values
Highlight the products' refined construction - inside and out.
Editorial quality / taste level

Qualifications:
Keen sense of composition
Technical aptitude in lighting
Access to equipment and studio space
Post-production / Photoshop

Please reply with website/ portfolio link. Looking forward to hearing from you!
no pay:

Another one for the category of 'we need a professional, but don't want to pay for one'.

quote:

Established NYC production company is hosting a launch party event for a new movie that stars the dad from "The Flash." This event is completely sold out with over 500 in attendance. This is a high profile, celebrity event. We are looking for one Camera person and Videographer to come to the event for free with a guest and shoot the entire event and meet the producers, director and actors. Please be super professional and reliable and respond with a headshot (can be a selfie) and what kind of equipment you have. This is a non paid job but will be mixing with people that are on top of the entertainment industry and will be considered for paid jobs in the future. This job is for someone looking to advance their career and mix with people that are making moves in the film industry. We are only looking for 1-3 people and will be very selective in out process. What we need. Contact number, selfie headshot and resume and what kind of equipment you have. Also you must be 21 and have ID to access the event. I have attached a flyer that shows the event info and schedule.
no pay:

:flashfap:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Lol at needing an intern with professional studio access and lighting.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
This one is extra fun because whoever wants these photos also wants a photographer who's got a studio, access to fitness equipment or a gym, and a group of models on call. All for the princely sum of nothing!

We get a lot of poo poo like this in Houston. Every 19 year old who lives near the city thinks they are going to be a rapper, rap promoter, or some job title that strings together words like "manager" "promoter" and "Aesthetic" except they usually spell it "ascetic." For some reason, Friday afternoons tend to be the time they all congregate and more than once, some dipshits have stopped city traffic so they can get shots of a model in club wear standing in the middle of a busy intersection.

quote:

Photographer For Brand Wanted:
Hello my name is Bryan Rawlins and I am still on the journey of finding the right photographer for my brand's first photoshoot. I am 22 years old in the process of starting a brand and my brand there will be presenting a clothing line and a fitness blog. I am looking for a dope creative photographer who can help bring the vision of my brand to life. Please check the requirements below:
- Must have studio OR access to one
- Must be able to provide a potential model list
- Must have access to a gym or workout equipment for a fitness photoshoot
- Must be familiar with outside photoshoots
I will be setting up interviews with each photographer who emails me so please don't expect you automatically got the job just because you emailed me. I have been looking for the right photographer for about a month now and haven't found the right person so please everyone apply and we will see who fits and doesn't fit. This will not be a One shoot; whoever my brand decides to roll with we will use in the future as well so We do want to build a business relationship with the photographer we choose. If you are someone we are interested in we will set up a meeting to go over the brand, the website, and vision. This is a high fashion urban wear brand so please be familiar with that is, what kind of clothing that's associated with it, and also what kind of photography goes with that. I will just give you my vision and let you do the rest so please be creative dope and Open Minded. No Pay

The same guy has a job up on meetaphotographer.com and while not as detailed, he is still specifying that you need an HD camera to make HD photos and take HD movies. The Bryan Rawlins Brand wants nothing to do with standard definition!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Yes, because everyone knows who Michael Phelps' photographer is....

quote:

I am a Professional Track Athlete and 2 Time Olympian [London + Rio]

I am looking to build my professional brand and image in order to partner up with various companies from around the world.

The World Championships are this year in London.

I will need high quality photos of me training and doing anything else related to my preparation for these Championships.

I am seeking a professional photographer to join me on this journey.

Please note: This is NOT A PAID GIG

You will be allowed to use my images in your portfolio and I will give credit to your company in every post or press release.

The same guy also has another ad up looking for a videographer with a 'rig' and a drone.

quote:

I am a Professional Track Athlete and 2 Time Olympian [London + Rio]

I am looking to build my professional brand and image in order to partner up with various companies from around the world.

The World Championships are this year in London.

I will require video content of me training and doing anything else related to my preparation for these Championships.

I am seeking a professional videographer to join me on this journey. Having a rig and drone would be preferable.

I am very creative and and I have a vision.

Working with me will be very smooth.

Please note: This is NOT A PAID GIG

You will be allowed to use my images and videos in your portfolio and I will give credit to your company in every post or press release.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

squidflakes posted:

This one is extra fun because whoever wants these photos also wants a photographer who's got a studio, access to fitness equipment or a gym, and a group of models on call. All for the princely sum of nothing!

We get a lot of poo poo like this in Houston. Every 19 year old who lives near the city thinks they are going to be a rapper, rap promoter, or some job title that strings together words like "manager" "promoter" and "Aesthetic" except they usually spell it "ascetic." For some reason, Friday afternoons tend to be the time they all congregate and more than once, some dipshits have stopped city traffic so they can get shots of a model in club wear standing in the middle of a busy intersection.

The same guy has a job up on meetaphotographer.com and while not as detailed, he is still specifying that you need an HD camera to make HD photos and take HD movies. The Bryan Rawlins Brand wants nothing to do with standard definition!

the random Capitalized words in This listing really Make It

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

DJExile posted:

the random Capitalized words in This listing really Make It

He's so Dope that he can Spend extra on Capital letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

squidflakes posted:

I love listings like this, people who want to 'trade' but offer basically nothing in return. Launching a fashion blog/IG next month, need a photographer to shoot once or twice a week in Soho, optionally in a studio, for free.

quote:

I am a professional aerial cinematographer, and I have a big shoot coming up in Mammoth Lakes, California in mid-May.
I operate the DJI Inspire. I am looking for an intern who wants to accompany me on the shoot and learn to be a camera operator.

The shoot is from May 12-18 at Mammoth Mountain, California. You have to be able to ski; but you don't need to be a good skier. You will have to pay your way out there. Once there, I will take care of your lodging, ground transpo and food. The internship is unpaid, otherwise.

The experience is priceless. You will be on-set, learning composition, lighting and aerial cinematography. You will not be a gopher - you will not be getting coffee. You will be legitimately working and learning how to operate a camera with a high-tech drone on set with the world's best skiers.

Please email me a cover letter describing your experience and interest. Do not get in touch if you can't make it there on your own - that is not a cost I can cover.
no pay:

Work for free, for a week, paying your own way to a ski resort in California (posted in NJ :lol:). Also you need to be able to ski. I'm presuming you'd have to rent your own skis :fuckoff:

I think it would be cheaper to buy a used Inspire and gently caress around in your backyard.

• Locked thread