Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In this wild and wonderful iteration of Rockstar, we're gonna get meta. It's time to cover songs about songs, writing music, or the music industry!

[quote=Rockstar
What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music?
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.
[/quote]

Here is a very small list of possible ideas

So get out and feel the Spirit of Radio, play your guitar on the MTV, listen to the music, and turn the beat around! The most important thing is to just get off your rear end and jam!

Tentative deadline is 11:59 EST, May 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Oh, man ... I think I'm gonna get crazy with this one: I'll claim "Rockstar" by Nickelback.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Tentatively calling Freak on a Leash, Korn's mournful ballad about how it feels to be signed to a label.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In with Shooting Star by Bad Company or Free or whatever band he was in at the time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I like the category. I could never get away with it, but I'll throw out Cypress Hill - Rock Superstar

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I like the category. I could never get away with it, but I'll throw out Cypress Hill - Rock Superstar

I can't wait.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'm probably not gonna finish what with this being my last semester of university (hopefully), but I'll give Spirit of Radio a whack.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
I can't do anything with Freak on a Leash that feels good, so I'm moving on if anyone wants it.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Tentatively calling Pavement's "Cut Your Hair".

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Someone told me Sara Bareilles' Love Song is about her label making demands on her so I'm doing that one now.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I may have a go at Have a Cigar

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I hope people appreciate acoustic music, my Les Paul has finally succumbed to age and cheap Epiphone materials. I was restringing it last night and noticed that paint was chipping around the first fret. Upon closer inspection, it turns out the neck is cracked from the nut to the 3rd get under the high E string. Combined with the gremlins in the electronics I think it's time to just get something new.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
How is everyone doing? I hit a snag in mine today when I went to record c1, c2, and v2 vocals and had a hell of a time trying to sing. At the rate I'm going, I may never be done. I hope some of you are having less trouble.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Would And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda meet the category criteria?

EDIT: Actually never mind, I'll give a go to Never Tire Of The Road.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 21, 2017

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Finals are looming over me so I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to get it done, but I'd like to give Video Killed the Radio Star a go.

nh
Feb 2, 2003

Coohoolin posted:

Would And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda meet the category criteria?

EDIT: Actually never mind, I'll give a go to Never Tire Of The Road.

DO IT

Danyull posted:

Finals are looming over me so I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to get it done, but I'd like to give Video Killed the Radio Star a go.

DO IIIOOTTTTTT!

I may not finish mine. I recorded the rest of the vocals and they are supreme terrible, my finest work in terms of recording something utterly unlistenable. Even my very supportive SO reported "yeah, it starts okay but really falls apart near the end" which can only mean "why are you doing this to me." I might try to find someone else to record it. Is anyone making progress? We're almost up to the last two weeks.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, so, hear me out.

"When we started this band, all we needed was a laugh."

That's the line I fixated on and recorded some wicked blues slide swing jump kind of New Orleans thing. And then, after doing three slide takes, and bass, I bothered to read the lyrics and Goddammit Motley Crue fooled me with just another lovely song about trying to get laid and partying.

BUT STILL. That song, the title at least, is about the time Nikk Sixx overdosed, right?

So, Kickstart My Heart is a meta rock and roll life on the road kind of song, right? If not, gently caress you all, I'll just have to come up with another brilliant idea and maybe one day start to get around to fixing to think about recording it.

Other ideas:
- We're an American Band (Grand Funk)
- What's your name, (Skynyrd)
- Georgia Rhythm (Atlanta Rhythm Section)

All those are about life on the road as a band, so, if you three other RS participants feel that the greatest rock n roll song to feature the line "we're still kicking rear end" which prophetically was the last album that was any good, well, I just don't know what you want from me.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I've successfully graduated and bought a new guitar! I guess I should get busy on this song.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Alternative pants posted:

I've successfully graduated and bought a new guitar! I guess I should get busy on this song.

Congrats!

I've realized that too many people have already covered Have a Cigar and I wanna be original so if anyone wants it, it's yours!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

nh posted:

DO IT

DO IIIOOTTTTTT!

I may not finish mine. I recorded the rest of the vocals and they are supreme terrible, my finest work in terms of recording something utterly unlistenable. Even my very supportive SO reported "yeah, it starts okay but really falls apart near the end" which can only mean "why are you doing this to me." I might try to find someone else to record it. Is anyone making progress? We're almost up to the last two weeks.

I'm just gonna sit down in front of an h4z recorder with my bouzouki and hammer the tune out, is everyone else doing fancy multilayered recording? jeez.

nh
Feb 2, 2003

Coohoolin posted:

I'm just gonna sit down in front of an h4z recorder with my bouzouki and hammer the tune out, is everyone else doing fancy multilayered recording? jeez.

It's certainly not fancy.

Edit: boop doop de poop

nh fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 15, 2017

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I know I'm not done with my entry, if there's a 20 day extension could we get more entries?

nh
Feb 2, 2003
7 weeks and nothing. I think Rockstar is dead. No one can be bothered.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

You may be right. Ever since there were more shitposts than content in the voting threads Rockstar's been declining. :smith:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can mix my turd and it would be the official poo poo effort submission.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I haven't started. Rockstar has been on life support for a couple of years now, sadly. GBS dying hasn't helped.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If I get a chance I might try an easy-listening version of Cherub Rock. My main issue is I'm not really comfortable with my abilities in covering songs. Also I don't have much free time to lay it down.

Edit: gently caress it, I'm in. Went against the idea of an easy listening version. The intro is whack but whatevs. I'll fix it later.

What I have thus far: https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/cherub-rock-cover-guitars

I am not Billy Corgan.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 15, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
i can do mine but i'd need an extension

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Extension it is.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I'm getting married in about 50 days so I've been really busy with DIY projects and getting everything ready. Probably won't be able to contribute this round unless it's extended to the end of July...

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Koivunen posted:

I'm getting married in about 50 days so I've been really busy with DIY projects and getting everything ready. Probably won't be able to contribute this round unless it's extended to the end of July...

Christ you're selfish.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

Alternative pants posted:

Extension it is.

Sweet! Now I can finally get started on this one.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Hawklad posted:

Sweet! Now I can finally get started on this one.

Please do! I always like your submissions.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

magnificent7 posted:

Christ you're selfish.

Yeah I know. July would be a wicked long extension and I definitely don't expect the deadline to be set that far out.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Koivunen posted:

Yeah I know. July would be a wicked long extension and I definitely don't expect the deadline to be set that far out.
You know I was kidding, I hope. Congrats and all that.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Koivunen posted:

Congrats! July would be a bit of a stretch unfortunately, buuuuuuuuut, if no one has an objection I'd be okay letting it go so we can get more entries including yours.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So I'm not sure when or if I'll get a chance to record vocals. So in the interim/fallback, here's my cover of Cherub Rock thus far:
https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/cherub-rock-guitars

Drums are from the actual song (found an isolated track). Everything else is terrible and me. Hey, I actually submitted something! If we're extending the deadline to like July I should definitely get some vocals done added.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I have a problem where other people's musical talents make me scared and not want to show them my music. I promise this is not me fishing for compliments, just an excuse/explanation about why I am slow to participate this time. I still hope to make something however, just as soon as I pick a song.

syntaxfunction posted:

So I'm not sure when or if I'll get a chance to record vocals. So in the interim/fallback, here's my cover of Cherub Rock thus far:
https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/cherub-rock-guitars

Drums are from the actual song (found an isolated track). Everything else is terrible and me. Hey, I actually submitted something! If we're extending the deadline to like July I should definitely get some vocals done added.
Got no advice for improvement. This is just great.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 8, 2017

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I finished a poo poo-tacular cover of Mony Mony by Tommy James and the Shondells. I don't know if it's meta enough though, they originally wrote the song as a stupid catchy song about nothing to cash in on what was popular at the time and the name purportedly comes from seeing a sign lit up at night in New York. I'll get around to posting it later... maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Shep posted:

I finished a poo poo-tacular cover of Mony Mony by Tommy James and the Shondells. I don't know if it's meta enough though, they originally wrote the song as a stupid catchy song about nothing to cash in on what was popular at the time and the name purportedly comes from seeing a sign lit up at night in New York. I'll get around to posting it later... maybe.

Do it man. I think I'm the only person who's posted something and I don't even have vocals and that's just no good. So yeah, post that poo poo.

Also thanks blaise. Although wait til I do vocals and ruin the whole thing. It's gonna be a dooooozy.

• Locked thread