Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Cleveland Indians

The Indians are favored by a few outlets to go back to the WS this year, hopefully to finish what they started.

Gone:
RF Rajai Davis (signed with A's)
1B Mike Napoli (signed with the Rangers)
OF Coco Crisp (they didn't like his face)

New Faces:
1B Edwin "Herpes" Encarnacion (big ol' contract)
RP Boone Logan (1 year deal)
OF Austin Jackson (MLC)
P Carlos Frias (trade with LAD)
OF/1B Chris Colabello (MLC)

Likely Staring Lineup:

1. Jose Ramirez, 2B .312/.363./.462, 10HR/66RBI/84R

You're probably wondering why I have Jose there instead of Jason Kipnis: Kipnis will miss time due to a strained rotator cuff, and as such, will miss Opening Day. However Jose Ramirez is a guy who, failing his nice year last year being a fluke, will fill in nicely at the plate.

2. Frankie Lindor SS .301/.358/.435 15HR/78RBI/99R

One of the most exciting young players in the game today, Lindor is both a quality hitter and defender, and I seriously think he's only scratched the surface as a player. Was consistently a threat during the postseason.

3. Mike "Dr.Smooth" Brantley LF .231/.279/.282 0HR/5RBI/7R

A big hope for the Tribe has to be that that Brantley returns to form from his 2014 and and 2015 seasons when he was a .300 hitter with 45 doubles in both years, as well as a strong OBP. Could be an x-factor if a WS rematch happens.

4. Edwin "Chlamydia" Encarnacion 1B/DH .263/.357/.529 42HR/127RBI/99R

The big move the Tribe made to keep up with the other contenders in the offseason. Personally, I'd have preferred beefing up the rotation or catcher position somehow. May have knowingly infected women with STD's whilst playing in Toronto, thus making him the 2nd big name free-agent Blue Jay to flee for another team in the wake of damaging rumours (google Roberto Alomar HIV). Has a tendency to, once in a while, become one of the scariest hitters around. For instance, last September he hit over .400 with 11 homers.

5. Carlos "Not the Guitarist" Santana 1B/C .259/.366/.498 34HR/87RBI/89R

Performed reasonably well as a leadoff hitter last year despite being slower than Eeyore on Quaaludes. Struggled mightily during the postseason, but did set career highs in HR and RBI.

6. Tyler Naquin CF .296/.372/.514 14HR/43RBI/52R

Played well in limited time last year, could be a real threat if he can cut back on the K's. Not great defensively, but not bad.

7. Lonnie Chisenhall RF/3B .286/.328/.439 8HR/57RBI/43R

Kind of mediocre, but flexible enough to play 2 positions. Could be worse, I guess?

8. Yan Gomes C .167/.201/.327 9HR/27RBI/22R

Absolutely miserable last year, Bobby Perez all but stole his job in the post-season due to his pitch framing and general defensive skills. If Gomes can return to his 2014 form of hitting about .270 with about 20-25 HR's though, it'd really help Cleveland. If not, he could lose his job to Perez for good, or Francisco Meija.

Bench folk
2B/on Dl currentlyJason "Dirtbag" Kipnis (seriously, that's his nickname)
OF Austin Jackson (apparently made the team after his ST invite)
OF Brandon "C'mon, bean me already" Guyer
C Roberto Perez
SS Erik Gonzalez
1B Richie Shaffer

Pitching

Corey Kluber 18-9, 3.14, 1.05 WHIP, 215IP, 227 K

Genuine ace and perennial Cy Young Contender. Was a loving monster in the postseason.

Danny Salazar 11-6, 3.87, 1.34 WHIP, 137 IP, 161 K

Injury prone but very talented. I may be laughed at for this statement but I believe Danny has 20 win potential.

Carlos Carrasco 11-8, 3.32, 1.14 WHIP, 146 IP, 150 K

Has come a long way. His numbers in 2011 and 2013 (he didn't pitch at all in '12) were rear end, but he's been really solid ever since.

Josh "Little Cowboy" Tomlin 13-9, 4.40, 1.19 WHIP, 174 IP, 118 K

There were two Josh Tomlin's last year: the one dealing with his dying father, and the one who WHO WAS ON A MISSION FROM GOD. You know how some people irrationally like players who are just okay? Tomlin's that guy for me. A goddamned warrior, and if the next guy in the rotation had 1/10 of his heart and brains, we'd be the defending champs.

Trevor Bauer 12-8, 4.26, 1.31 WHIP, 190 IP, 168 K

I hate this motherfucker. Between his dumb ill-informed tweets about politics, his stupid drone hobby nearly costing the Indians a ALCS game last year (thank goodness for Tito Francona's managing skills and Andrew Miller), and his sheer inability to harness his natural skill into anything aside from mediocrity, I wish him ill. I wish we'd send him to Miami for something useful and put him out of his misery. gently caress Trevor Bauer.

Bullpen!

Closer

Cody Allen 3-5, 2.51, 1.00 WHIP, 68IP, 80K, 32 SV

A very competent closer who gets the job done more often than not. Looked loving amazing in the postseason.

Setup

Andrew "The Undertaker" Miller 10-1, 1.45, .68 WHIP, 74 IP, 123 K 12SV

I initially questioned not making him the closer upon acquisition. I learned my lesson. My friend Josh likened him to WWE wrestler The Undertaker, once he comes out, you are doneski. Put the fear of god into Blue Jays and Red Sox fans alike.

Setup

Bryan Shaw 2-5, 3.24, 1.26 WHIP, 66 IP, 69 K (nice), 1SV

Bryan is a pretty typical reliever. He's good but not great.

Middle Relief

Boone Logan 2-5, 3.69, 46IP, 57K, 1SV

This seems like a low-risk, middling-reward pickup, but maybe Logan's learned a scary breaking ball like Andrew Miller did all of the sudden. We'll see. At worst, he's better than Jeff Manship.

Dan Otero 5-1, 1.53, .91 WHIP, 70IP, 57K, 1SV

Probably won't repeat those numbers but if they're comparable our bullpen will be tough as nails again.

Zach McAllister 3-2, 3.44, 1.46 WHIP, 52IP, 54K

Carlos Frias 0-0, 0.00, .75 WHIP, 4IP, 3K

Hopefully useful, it'll be nice to have him around in case injury is an issue for the pitching staff again.

Other pitchers on the 40 man of note

Steve Delabar
Ryan Merritt

Prospects!

OF Brad Zimmer. Will start season in AAA, has hit reasonably well in the minors but like Ty Naquin, could stand to cut back on his K's. Hit .358 in ST.
P Brady AIken Had a rough first year in the pros. Still adjusting to pitching after TJ surgery though.
1B Bobby Bradley Seems to be a Carlos Santana clone. Lots of time to adjust though, only 20.
C Francisco Meija Nearly traded for Jon Lucroy (who can sincerely lick a goat's taint), likely still the catcher of the future for the team. Will start in AA after impressing in camp by hitting .421 in ST.
P Triston McKenzie. Has looked dominant in A ball so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Your 2017 Minnesota Twins Baseball Club

:ughh:

The other day I was watching the 6 O'Clock news from a Minnesota affiliate and their sports guy was raking Minneosta FO over the coals for choosing to carry 13 pitchers and sending down Byung Ho Park

• Locked thread