Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly not sure the button was there when I played this; it was years and years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Boots and Grumpos fight their way through strange alien tunnels. Lots of (truncated) combat ensues.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks to this LP telling me that enemies afflicted by Stun (from Grumpos' Yammer or Boot's Flashblind) are out of the fight for a few turns unless attacked helped me in my current playthrough. I picked an enemy to neutralize and so was able to reduce several turns of damage for the cost of one turn while I took out the other enemies. That tip helped a lot.

I was not very impressed with the healgrease reward for all 9 crates, I've started buying regular healgreases in bulk by that point, and have started moving on to Healgrease Plus's. I could have gotten much better worth from the diamond discs. But it looks like I didn't miss anything in the dungeon so I'm not going back to redo it.

This is basically a tutorial to boss fights. You should never let yourself be hit by this chump.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

We settle our affairs on Anachronox, bring an old friend out of retirement, and set off into the green yonder.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 30, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you're not convinced to pause and read Grumpos' walls'o'text: seriously. Do it. They are a thing of beauty and I really wish they were voice-acted. Sadly it does not start with one of his better ones but just the rhythm and cadence of the entire thing are absolutely spot-on.

Anyhow, I have very vivid if somewhat disjointed memories of the next area simply because it crashed more than the rest of the game put together for me.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 25, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Seconding doing so. They're legitimately well written and fit Grumpos to a T.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So, considering how self aware this game is, does TACO literally stand for "Totally Arbitrary Collectable Object"?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's exactly it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yes, that is exactly what it stands for.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

A collection of reproduceable bugs and glitches.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It may take a bit longer for the next video, by the way; I'm no longer flu-y but I've had to put in some extra time at work and help my brother tear up his new house. Watch this space!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

On we go to Sender Station... Station... to see if we can catch a ride to the planet of scientists, Sunder.

This one's a bit more sloppy. After recording commentary and sitting down to edit, I realize it was still way too bloated with me stopping to talk to virtually every character on Sender Station. I excised a bunch of dialogue that was neither very funny nor informative, which resulted in a bunch of impromptu fadeovers in this and the next video. Oh well.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Oh hey, Anachronox, aka the only game where an entire planet is a party member. This game for me felt like some weird prototype of Knights of the Old Republic crossed with the likes of FF7 and Chrono Trigger. This LP is making me want to reinstall this game. Man, the 90s was a good time for weird and experimental pc games.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 9, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Traderbots are basically a way to farm infinite money. There are five products, each Traderbot sells one at the cheapest price and buys a different one at the most expensive price. The biggest annoyance is that you can only buy and sell through the dialogue menu instead of the trading menu - which means one at a time.

For instance, Traderbot LlamaLow in the lounge sells Vials of Vunivella for 60 each, and TraderBot Sandie in the Terminal buys those same things for 140 credits each, a profit of 2.33 times. So you can turn 3000 credits into 7000. The Vials have the highest profit margin per click, don't bother with anything else. However, because you can only trade one item at a time, it's probably not worthwhile just for the amount of clicks alone. Additionally, if your funds are REALLY low, they take pity on you and can give you jobs to take things to other Traderbots for a small amount of money.

It's impossible to stay at the gold deluxe hotel, as the cheapest room's price is always set at 1 loonie more than you have.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 10, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Jem Jonis" as a reference to Jim Jones. Oh man.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

That's really interesting to know, thanks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like how the floating hotel manager references Hotel California.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Except at this hotel you can't ever check in.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

davidspackage posted:

That's really interesting to know, thanks!
I had to figure it out for myself when playing. Just goes to show exactly how obscure the game is.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

We finally find out why I'm picking up TACOs left and right, we get in touch with the Resistance on Sender Station, and we get some new duds.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I didn't realize that buying a drink from the waitress gives a quest.
- The ads aren't quite random, each side has 6 buttons, each gives a specific product. You can sort-of see the products from different levels to narrow down what you're looking for.
- I declined to bother buying tickets from the scalper, I remember that I can pick up what I need elsewhere, and do some people a big favour at the same time.
- The brilliant thing about Grumpos' Yammers is that not only does it start out on a subject which is of absolutely no interest to the victim, but it also transitions through a whole series of tangentially related subjects which are also uninteresting, in a way suggesting that he can keep on going forever before getting back to whatever the hell his first point was.
- Yep, my game is bugged, because I am NOT getting the prompt to take off the disguises when entering the Routubes. The game lets me go in there and fight just fine. Hmmm...

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 13, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'll never get tired of Grumpos. :allears:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Preach the word. Yammer is a fantastic idea and they managed to pull it off perfectly.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I'm not sure that you can leave at this point. I tried and it won't let me. It says I still need credentials.
- Yep, my game is bugged, because I am NOT getting the prompt to take off the disguises when entering the Routubes. The game lets me go in there and fight just fine. Hmmm...

Weird. If you go fight in the Routubes, do Grumpos and Boots wear their scientist outfits, or are they just suddenly in their normal gear again?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

davidspackage posted:

Weird. If you go fight in the Routubes, do Grumpos and Boots wear their scientist outfits, or are they just suddenly in their normal gear again?

In the scientist outfits. Oh, and I was able to leave. I had to use PAL to hack the comport. Maybe my problem was that I had him try to use it normally instead of CompTalking it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You know, of all the things on Sender Station Station, the area I completely forgot about was the Pay2Pray area.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I seem to recall that one of the items for sale in the VendoMart is a Huge Materia from Final Fantasy 7.

Seconding the love for Grumpos' yammers. They're pitch perfect for old man wandering stories. The writers even got the not-quite-racism right with how he's OK with Brebulan cinema, but wouldn't want his sister to sleep with one.

One thing that struck me as intriguing was Grumpos being an adherent of the Church of Order (whatever that is). He doesn't strike me as the religious sort at all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Whybird posted:

One thing that struck me as intriguing was Grumpos being an adherent of the Church of Order (whatever that is). He doesn't strike me as the religious sort at all.
I think it's School of Order, so maybe it's more of a philosophy thing. I can definitely imagine him whacking his subordinates at the MysTech museum with his staff whenever they misplace labels or socks or whatever they put on display there, or obsessively cleaning.
Still a very interesting notion and maybe something to keep in mind for later.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

There's so much in this LP that I flat out don't remember from my play through in the year 200X. I'm left wondering if it's the time difference or if I just didn't find half this stuff? Like if I understood it correctly, that you could simply buy two tickets to the next world, then maybe I did that rather than yammering one guy and playing cupid with another.

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing the world that was used in the demo. I was really impressed with the design/originality (for games) at the time so we'll see how far from reality my nostalgia is. I think what we've seen so far still looks cool, despite how dated it is.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fwoderwick posted:

There's so much in this LP that I flat out don't remember from my play through in the year 200X. I'm left wondering if it's the time difference or if I just didn't find half this stuff? Like if I understood it correctly, that you could simply buy two tickets to the next world, then maybe I did that rather than yammering one guy and playing cupid with another.

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing the world that was used in the demo. I was really impressed with the design/originality (for games) at the time so we'll see how far from reality my nostalgia is. I think what we've seen so far still looks cool, despite how dated it is.

Well, you can buy one ticket. You still need to swindle at least one scientist to get another.

I've never played the demo, so I have no idea what was used for it. Democratus?

Anyway,

Today, we explore part of the Routubes, do a little bit of fighting, and settle affairs on Sender Station so we can leave for planet Sunder!

Just noticed I made a mistake in the commentary during one of the fights: Windmill Dash doesn't do double Beat damage, I think it's more like quadruple damage.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

davidspackage posted:

I've never played the demo, so I have no idea what was used for it. Democratus?

The demo's split into two parts: a run around talky section in Whitendon and a dungeon run through the latter half of the Mysterium Levant. It shows off a bunch of stuff we've already seen in the LP (Boots using his Camera and worldskill) and how combat and bosses generally go.

I played it quite a bit :shobon:

Edit: haha Dr. Einbert Alstein, I forgot that was in here.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 17, 2017

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Is there any significance to Boots's second dialogue choice? Read backwards, it says:

stooB retsevlyS posted:

Give us time! He is a priest! I see you! It is warm in the body!

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Whybird posted:

Is there any significance to Boots's second dialogue choice? Read backwards, it says:

That's Linda Blair's backwards dialogue from The Exorcist.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

We arrive on the planet of science, and venture out in search of the doctor that Grumpos wants to hob nobs with.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The spider guy could still be a reference to Spider-Man since his origin story is pretty well known even before they started making movies. Still, if it is a reference, it's a pretty weak one.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I don't think Mong Sr. was planning on coming back from his trip.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Those guards are great.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The spider guy could still be a reference to Spider-Man since his origin story is pretty well known even before they started making movies. Still, if it is a reference, it's a pretty weak one.
I think it was more that his name is the same as the actor who played Spider-man in the movies. So it's a reference AND time travel.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Those guards are great.

On Sunder, planet of Science even the PAX guards are more cerebral.

Some more than others but they're generally more chatty than beaty.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

We meet who we came here for, but things take a turn for the worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Rho always felt like the least interesting character to me. I'm not sure why, they could've done a fair bit with the mad scientist archetype.
I love the fact her shuttle has a pair of pink fuzzy dice.

• Locked thread