Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Probably because Rho isn't the mad Scientist, she's the sane one.
Grumpos is the Mad Scientist.

Also yes, one of the best skits in the game, the lost in space segment.

Edit: Update on last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That shuttle segment seems like it was pretty badly designed. Too many objects that were out of the playing field to confuse things, a giant shuttle in a small screen and slow controls. That didn't look fun to play at all

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It isn't fun to play - hell, Anachronox isn't fun to play. But it's interesting because of when it showed up - Bioware wasn't putting minigames into their stuff yet so it was pretty innovative.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The space drifting cutscene is definitely one of the highlights of the game.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
[nevermind]

BernieLomax fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 3, 2017

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

Rho always felt like the least interesting character to me. I'm not sure why, they could've done a fair bit with the mad scientist archetype.
I love the fact her shuttle has a pair of pink fuzzy dice.

She is kind of the straight man of the bunch. I like that, despite her constant technobabble, she's kind of sassy too, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Looks like the planet... (puts on sunglasses)... just got Sundered.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I really didn't expect that kind of mass death from this otherwise silly-toned game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Even then, thanks to the character models the Mass Death is kind of funny in a black comedy kind of way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Black comedy" is really the best way to describe the game. Everything is silly but also tremendously serious.

Also, I think FF7 was out by this point, and FF7 had a few unavoidable minigames. FF7 is a big influence on Anachronox just in general.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

its very Hitchhikers guide

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
My question about that whole thing is why was Sunder hollow?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jade Star posted:

Hollow Earth theory.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Jade Star posted:

Why do you assume Earth isn't? :tinfoil:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Jade Star posted:

I think the core being cut open is where all the fire and flames were coming from while the planet was being split asunder.
Granted, it wouldn't probably leave a nice hollow section, but this is a modified Quake 2 engine after all. :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Maybe it was the devs thinking that the core would immediately flow out once there was an outlet. That might happen to an extent, but without an external force (like the gate which appeared inside afterwards), slicing a planet in half probably wouldn't have all that dramatic an effect because gravity would hold it together (possibly with some slippage due to angular momentum).

At least, that's what my research for the Cool And Improbable Weapons Division has shown.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

radintorov posted:

I think the core being cut open is where all the fire and flames were coming from while the planet was being split asunder.
Granted, it wouldn't probably leave a nice hollow section, but this is a modified Quake 2 engine after all. :v:

For a early 2000s era PC game running on an outdated FPS engine it looks pretty dang nice. Despite the dated graphics the game really nailed the atmosphere and world building.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I didn't notice how many jokes there are hidden in NPC names in this game. The scientist with heretical research on Brebulan evolution, for example, is a pun on Piltdown Man, for example.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Anachronox's writing and humour are top notch, and really help carry the game at times.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Salvaged from space, our growing team of heroes find themselves unfortunately saved by the obnoxious people of Democratus.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, Anachronox, always ahead of its time.
I think this has my favorite Grumpos rant of them all, actually. So inevitable, so cruel, so sad. So Grumpos.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I'm morbidly curious as to how "Cyclical Vomit Torture" works

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Which character is good with which Mistech is hinted at by their color scheme. The one they're bad at is the color across from them on the character wheel. Since Grumpos is white and in the middle, he isn't bad at any of them.

Also, I love that the annoyed NPC's final resort is to start repeating only one line.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Which character is good with which Mistech is hinted at by their color scheme. The one they're bad at is the color across from them on the character wheel. Since Grumpos is white and in the middle, he isn't bad at any of them.

By the same token, everyone is great with Bane.

This is a fairly nice relaxing town segment, a bit of a breather between Sunder and a terrible, awful, tedious dungeon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And Bane is great, because as Roe said, it heals people :v:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Also, I love that the annoyed NPC's final resort is to start repeating only one line.

The choice of colors makes me think of the 16 colors of old games. Obviously they all have to be distinct colors, but in this case I just think of the Commander Keen palette.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

We finish gathering together the Council's voting choices!

I found out I've been muxing the MP4s for my recent videos at a lower bitrate than I intended, oops. Don't think it did any major harm to the videos though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The lost-and-found droid is a huge waste of time. It's the developers trolling you. You have to look for a tiny item SOMEWHERE in the large Votowne map, and you get paid under 10 loonies for your trouble. NOT worth. My first time through I did it 4 times expecting it lead up to something before I caught on.

And actually you're wrong on the pousse-cafe vote. In my playthrough it was NO. They did make a second graphic. I also got the same reaction to the vote from the hot-for-grumpos's Ally even though the council voted YES to forbid marriages.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And actually you're wrong on the pousse-cafe vote. In my playthrough it was NO. They did make a second graphic. I also got the same reaction to the vote from the hot-for-grumpos's Ally even though the council voted YES to forbid marriages.

Huh, learned something new. I actually only realized that some of the answers are randomized when I started recording this bit and thought I'd try sequence breaking by using the answers from a previous play session.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Dear Mr. Package,

I do hope you haven't abandoned your attempt to play strange old video-games for the internet. That would be most unfortunate. Looking forward to your eventual return.

Signed,
T. L. Dahn.

64fanatic
Oct 21, 2008

So crazy? DON'T MIND IF I DO!
Hope you pick up again soon, caught up in this LP, and watched the Dark Earth one while I waited!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The next part is a bit of drag (like most Anachronox dungeons, actually). I wouldn't be opposed to liberal use of the fast-forward key, during exploration or in combat.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
MaskedHuzzah warned me that my thread was about to drop off the page, so I'd better update or die.

We finally meet the Democratus Council and get a mission.

I've had a few setbacks and other lame excuses I'll elaborate on in the video after this, which is in the works. Sorry.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Life happens, it's okay. I'm just glad to see this back!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
This is fantastic news, I am so happy to see this back!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yay, you're back! Whatever your reasons, I am just happy to see this continued.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Man, its been so long this thread is a bit of an anachronism :rimshot:

I kid. Great to see this LP going again!

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Real glad to see this back. Anachronox was a game I knew from advertisements on the back of CD cases for other games. It always looked intriguing even if the promotions never hinted at what genre it actually was.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Grayshift posted:

Real glad to see this back. Anachronox was a game I knew from advertisements on the back of CD cases for other games. It always looked intriguing even if the promotions never hinted at what genre it actually was.

Anachronox remains my favorite non-Japanese JRPG. With Anachronox, I can rest assured that anything confusing or weird that happens is a result of either my inattention or deliberate choice, instead of maybe also being because a concept didn't translate well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Behold! An episode!

Exit Strategy posted:

Anachronox remains my favorite non-Japanese JRPG. With Anachronox, I can rest assured that anything confusing or weird that happens is a result of either my inattention or deliberate choice, instead of maybe also being because a concept didn't translate well.

Or because of how they had to hack together the engine in order to get it to do what they wanted it to. Then again that's a bit of the former.

• Locked thread