Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

evilmiera posted:

Furthest I ever got in the game was around the mixed up identity plot point. At least as far as I recall. The game plays a bit too slow for me to get to the ending despite being awesome.

Yeah, I remember hearing that even the developers realize the game takes too long to get off the starting planet and getting the plot moving. It gets pretty awesome once you get through the first third, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I never had much of a problem with this, but I'm also the type of player who exhausts all possible sidepaths before trying to make progress. So I can see how it would turn off other players.

Well, my biggest problem with the beginning is that, if it weren't so long and involved, the developers might have had some time to spend on the ending.

Plus it kind of sucks how long NRG sits there just looking pretty and not doing anything.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I think you can safely drop the annotation link after the first minute or so. It doesn't need to sit there the whole time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Man, I forgot just how many collectibles there are for such a (relatively) short game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I just realized the intro music is from ReBoot.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'd say Anachronox tends to prefer absurd humor overall, but it has a very Hitchhiker's Guide blend of dark and absurd moments.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

To be honest, the cinematography seems a tad overdone. I certainly appreciate the dynamic shots, but the swooping elevator angles are so active it's like they're overcompensating.

Also, I hadn't realized the Deanimo subplot went on for so long. I don't think I even spoke to her friend again.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

I'd comfortably put this part of the game in the same gritty cyberpunk box as the original Deus Ex...if it weren't for the fact we just quested around after someone's sock.

The game also gets significantly less cyberpunk once we finally leave Anachronox.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

"Jem Jonis" as a reference to Jim Jones. Oh man.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You know, of all the things on Sender Station Station, the area I completely forgot about was the Pay2Pray area.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The spider guy could still be a reference to Spider-Man since his origin story is pretty well known even before they started making movies. Still, if it is a reference, it's a pretty weak one.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

"Black comedy" is really the best way to describe the game. Everything is silly but also tremendously serious.

Also, I think FF7 was out by this point, and FF7 had a few unavoidable minigames. FF7 is a big influence on Anachronox just in general.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jade Star posted:

My question about that whole thing is why was Sunder hollow?

Hollow Earth theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Which character is good with which Mistech is hinted at by their color scheme. The one they're bad at is the color across from them on the character wheel. Since Grumpos is white and in the middle, he isn't bad at any of them.

Also, I love that the annoyed NPC's final resort is to start repeating only one line.

• Locked thread