Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Bugs aside this is still the best JRPG ever made. I mean, this genre, gameplay will suck no matter what so it's all about the writing and the whole noir meets Douglas Adams style works fantastically.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

I never had much of a problem with this, but I'm also the type of player who exhausts all possible sidepaths before trying to make progress. So I can see how it would turn off other players.
Speaking of, how are you going to handle the different scenarios at the party split? That is a bit of a dick move by the game given the poor pacing and lack of replayability.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Awesome. I admit that despite having finished this multiple times, I never really found the will to do PAL18's path.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ion Storm basically had a "celebrity" dev producing each of their releases (probably with the exception of that godawful RTS they bought unfinished) - Romero did Daikatana, Warren Spector did Deus Ex and Tom Hall did Anachronox.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The "scaling back" is one of the things that come from the inspiration by Japanese games - JRPGs have been doing this for ages.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

I can see why the designers felt they should have cut back on the opening. This draaaaaaaaaaags and we have no real objectives right now beyond wandering around.
This is kind of interesting to me since I think it shows they didn't really know what to do with their game mechanics. In a western RPG, you'd be happy to wander around, grab sidequests and use every opportunity to tune up your character a bit; but in JRPGs you can't do that so you want to get into the story as soon as possible. Bit of conflicting mentalities there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Grumpos is the best character and I'm prepared to unleash his special ability on those who dare dispute this claim.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sadly, not much thought went into the actual gameplay here. Typical for a JRPGbut still... I'd love to see a proper sequel with modern mechanics; the world and writing are fantastic but combat drags it down so much.
I think I remember a couple fairly clever boss fights though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There is one on the LP archive. Now that was a game with nothing to redeem the atrocious dungeoneering.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So this is where the game actually rears its ugly head and starts clobbering you with gameplay. Two dungeons back to back, nothing interesting in either of them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly not sure the button was there when I played this; it was years and years ago.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you're not convinced to pause and read Grumpos' walls'o'text: seriously. Do it. They are a thing of beauty and I really wish they were voice-acted. Sadly it does not start with one of his better ones but just the rhythm and cadence of the entire thing are absolutely spot-on.

Anyhow, I have very vivid if somewhat disjointed memories of the next area simply because it crashed more than the rest of the game put together for me.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 25, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's exactly it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like how the floating hotel manager references Hotel California.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Preach the word. Yammer is a fantastic idea and they managed to pull it off perfectly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Whybird posted:

One thing that struck me as intriguing was Grumpos being an adherent of the Church of Order (whatever that is). He doesn't strike me as the religious sort at all.
I think it's School of Order, so maybe it's more of a philosophy thing. I can definitely imagine him whacking his subordinates at the MysTech museum with his staff whenever they misplace labels or socks or whatever they put on display there, or obsessively cleaning.
Still a very interesting notion and maybe something to keep in mind for later.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Those guards are great.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The spider guy could still be a reference to Spider-Man since his origin story is pretty well known even before they started making movies. Still, if it is a reference, it's a pretty weak one.
I think it was more that his name is the same as the actor who played Spider-man in the movies. So it's a reference AND time travel.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Rho always felt like the least interesting character to me. I'm not sure why, they could've done a fair bit with the mad scientist archetype.
I love the fact her shuttle has a pair of pink fuzzy dice.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It isn't fun to play - hell, Anachronox isn't fun to play. But it's interesting because of when it showed up - Bioware wasn't putting minigames into their stuff yet so it was pretty innovative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, Anachronox, always ahead of its time.
I think this has my favorite Grumpos rant of them all, actually. So inevitable, so cruel, so sad. So Grumpos.

• Locked thread