Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Question: have you done a test run of the game before launching this LP? Because I played the GoG version and I was unable to finish the game because the final boss was "bugged" - it moved too fast, getting far too many turns, so I was unable to do the thing I needed to do to win. It would really suck if you were unable to finish the LP because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

davidspackage posted:

Thanks, someone warned me for this in the Sandcastle. I tested it, and was able to complete the game. The game's pretty affected by processor speed, so you might have a better PC than me :D

Oh. That was me too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Will you be using the fast-forward button to speed up the game? It's something which quickly becomes very sanity-saving to speed up all the elevator animations, as well as combat.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

davidspackage posted:

I looked at a few options to speed through the repetitive stuff, but I'm going to use short fade-overs to skip the frequent backtracking through areas already seen, and quick cuts to rush through the fights.

I mean the actual in-game fast-forward button to save any remnants of YOUR sanity.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Man, I forgot just how many collectibles there are for such a (relatively) short game.

I don't think I would call this game short, there's quite a good chunk of stuff.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I still have this game installed. I started a new character with it. It would probably help if someone could point me at one of the tricks to slow down my CPU so I could finish it this time, though.

I didn't bother wasting the Healgrease Plus after WhackMaster Jack's. I just murdered the Junkyard 40 guy with the aid of Fatima Screen and barely survived it, then I healed up with a regular Healgrease from the med supply shop. The pair of Junkyard 40's afterwards was a big pain though. I needed several failures before I conceded and had to use both Bindlebags on them. I reached the next save point, and saved, but tried again. This time I got very lucky and BOTH of the first two attacks missed, and I only used one bindlebag and got FatimaScreen up before taking any damage.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
On my current playthrough, I figured talking to the NoxGuard after getting the helmet would be bad, so I didn't and just beat it. The druggie didn't drop the blood filter for me. I also went to the junkyard before realizing I needed to talk to the flyer, and cleared it out, making a tidy profit. Surprisingly it was a lot easier than expected. I remembered it having a lot of tough fights, but this time I breezed through. Lots of extra XP, items and cash. Very helpful!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I actually did the junkyard twice because I forgot that you need to learn where Eddie is from the informant before you can get past his bouncer. It was worth it though for the extra XP, item drops, and Loonies.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

anilEhilated posted:

So this is where the game actually rears its ugly head and starts clobbering you with gameplay. Two dungeons back to back, nothing interesting in either of them.

Learn to love the fast-forward button. It fast forwards everything. I had it remapped from '\' to 'r'. It is a godsend in combat to speed up the animations and ATB circle so you can act faster.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks to this LP telling me that enemies afflicted by Stun (from Grumpos' Yammer or Boot's Flashblind) are out of the fight for a few turns unless attacked helped me in my current playthrough. I picked an enemy to neutralize and so was able to reduce several turns of damage for the cost of one turn while I took out the other enemies. That tip helped a lot.

I was not very impressed with the healgrease reward for all 9 crates, I've started buying regular healgreases in bulk by that point, and have started moving on to Healgrease Plus's. I could have gotten much better worth from the diamond discs. But it looks like I didn't miss anything in the dungeon so I'm not going back to redo it.

This is basically a tutorial to boss fights. You should never let yourself be hit by this chump.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Traderbots are basically a way to farm infinite money. There are five products, each Traderbot sells one at the cheapest price and buys a different one at the most expensive price. The biggest annoyance is that you can only buy and sell through the dialogue menu instead of the trading menu - which means one at a time.

For instance, Traderbot LlamaLow in the lounge sells Vials of Vunivella for 60 each, and TraderBot Sandie in the Terminal buys those same things for 140 credits each, a profit of 2.33 times. So you can turn 3000 credits into 7000. The Vials have the highest profit margin per click, don't bother with anything else. However, because you can only trade one item at a time, it's probably not worthwhile just for the amount of clicks alone. Additionally, if your funds are REALLY low, they take pity on you and can give you jobs to take things to other Traderbots for a small amount of money.

It's impossible to stay at the gold deluxe hotel, as the cheapest room's price is always set at 1 loonie more than you have.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 10, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I didn't realize that buying a drink from the waitress gives a quest.
- The ads aren't quite random, each side has 6 buttons, each gives a specific product. You can sort-of see the products from different levels to narrow down what you're looking for.
- I declined to bother buying tickets from the scalper, I remember that I can pick up what I need elsewhere, and do some people a big favour at the same time.
- The brilliant thing about Grumpos' Yammers is that not only does it start out on a subject which is of absolutely no interest to the victim, but it also transitions through a whole series of tangentially related subjects which are also uninteresting, in a way suggesting that he can keep on going forever before getting back to whatever the hell his first point was.
- Yep, my game is bugged, because I am NOT getting the prompt to take off the disguises when entering the Routubes. The game lets me go in there and fight just fine. Hmmm...

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 13, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

davidspackage posted:

Weird. If you go fight in the Routubes, do Grumpos and Boots wear their scientist outfits, or are they just suddenly in their normal gear again?

In the scientist outfits. Oh, and I was able to leave. I had to use PAL to hack the comport. Maybe my problem was that I had him try to use it normally instead of CompTalking it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The space drifting cutscene is definitely one of the highlights of the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Maybe it was the devs thinking that the core would immediately flow out once there was an outlet. That might happen to an extent, but without an external force (like the gate which appeared inside afterwards), slicing a planet in half probably wouldn't have all that dramatic an effect because gravity would hold it together (possibly with some slippage due to angular momentum).

At least, that's what my research for the Cool And Improbable Weapons Division has shown.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Which character is good with which Mistech is hinted at by their color scheme. The one they're bad at is the color across from them on the character wheel. Since Grumpos is white and in the middle, he isn't bad at any of them.

By the same token, everyone is great with Bane.

This is a fairly nice relaxing town segment, a bit of a breather between Sunder and a terrible, awful, tedious dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The lost-and-found droid is a huge waste of time. It's the developers trolling you. You have to look for a tiny item SOMEWHERE in the large Votowne map, and you get paid under 10 loonies for your trouble. NOT worth. My first time through I did it 4 times expecting it lead up to something before I caught on.

And actually you're wrong on the pousse-cafe vote. In my playthrough it was NO. They did make a second graphic. I also got the same reaction to the vote from the hot-for-grumpos's Ally even though the council voted YES to forbid marriages.

• Locked thread