Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SEASON 2!! Last year's adaptation of the hit Jump series My Hero Academia is returning for a second season! Set in a world where almost everyone has superpowers, Izuku "Deku" Midoriya, a formerly powerless boy, has inherited the superpower of the greatest hero in the world and has enrolled in the country's leading hero academy. Last season found Deku trying to control his incredible power without ripping his body apart, a slew of new friends, and the first appearance of a group of villains with a mysterious agenda! Exciting! This season so far finds Deku and the rest of his class participating in the school sports festival, a series of athletic competitions meant to showcase the students of U.A. to the world at large. However, this season is looking to be 2 cour rather than 1, so we'll likely go further than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkCRqiZlWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IqTCB9A0Fo

Characters

Izuku Midoriya (Daiki Yamashita)
Quirk: One For All
Deku here used to have no powers at all. Zilch, nada. But thanks to a chance encounter with All Might, he's gained the power he needs to start on the road to becoming a hero. However, his body isn't used to the enormous power he holds, and learning to control this power might be harder than he imagined.

All Might (Kenta Miyake)
Quirk: One For All
The top hero in the world with amazing strength and Izuku's biggest role model. He and Izuku meet when All Might saves him from an attacking villain. After an encounter with a villain, his powers have been steadily weakening. Moved by Izuku's heroism, he has decided to pass on the ability One For All onto him.

Katsuki Bakugo (Nobuhiko Okamoto)
Quirk: Explosion
Izuku's classmate and bully, and the front-runner in his class to be accepted into U.A. He was gifted with a pretty powerful quirk, which has given him an inflated ego. He's trying to come to terms with the formerly pathetic Deku becoming an actual peer, and like most things in his life, channels that through rage.

Ochaco Uraraka (Ayane Sakura)
Quirk: Zero Gravity
Izuku's best friend, a kind young girl who can control gravity. She may or may not have a bit of a crush on Deku.

Tenya Iida (Kaito Ishikawa)
Quirk: Engine
Deku's other friend. A hot-blooded young man who is strict about the rules. He's the representative of U.A.'s class 1-A.

Shoto Todoroki (Yūki Kaji)
Quirk: Half-Hot Half-Cold
A classmate of Deku's, who probably has the most powerful quirk in the class. He's a real...cool guy!

Tsuyu Asui (Aoi Yūki)
Quirk: Frog Form
Call her Tsuyu, please. Can do whatever a frog can. I put her here over the rest of the class because she's low-key the best character and I love her.

Tomura Shigaraki (Kōki Uchiyama)
Quirk: Disintegration
The mysterious leader of the League of Villains who has dedicated himself to killing All Might.

My Hero Academia season 2 will be streaming on both Funimation and Crunchyroll, with the latter adding the first season to their catalog shortly before the premiere of S2 on April 1.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ah this is a good show.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im ready for my son todoroki to do his best and become hero numba one da

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
OP, Ochaco's motivation hasn't actually been revealed yet if I'm not mistaken.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

is it being simuldubbed by funimation or will we have to wait for that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mabels big day posted:

is it being simuldubbed by funimation or will we have to wait for that

It is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Froppy is good
All Might is best tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LostRook posted:

OP, Ochaco's motivation hasn't actually been revealed yet if I'm not mistaken.

I lost track of what had happened where.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Aww yeah, I can't wait for Tournament Arc the Season. Love me a good ol' tournament arc so seeing the sports festival animated is gonna be great!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

but who is sauske

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's u

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Waffleman_ posted:

Tsuyu Asui (Aoi Yūki)
Quirk: Frog Form
Call her Tsuyu, please. Can do whatever a frog can. I put her here over the rest of the class because she's low-key the best character and I love her.

Great op, seems like you covered the important parts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

However, this season is looking to be 2 cour rather than 1

This was literally all I clicked on the thread hoping to see. :krad:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I hope the pacing is a bit less bad this time

MHA deserves the best

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Genocyber posted:

This was literally all I clicked on the thread hoping to see. :krad:

All we have to go on for the episode count is a French home video listing, but that's the same kinda source that got us the episode count for Diamond is Unbreakable, so I'm trusting it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the french are way more on that anime/manga tip than we are so i trust them implicitly in these matters.

can't wait for them to spend all 24 episodes on the sports tournament arc, less than a chapter a ep baybee

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Turns out that "you say run" is even more awesome then before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJT8ORP4qNg

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What sucks is that a 3rd season isn't guaranteed really, and that would likely cover the best two arcs in the manga- and particularly, two arcs that would be the most interesting to non-manga readers.

I'm just glad we'll likely get the Stain arc. Like most of the Stain arc is payoffs to character development from the sports festival. We'll know the fate of season 3 if we end on Shigaraki meeting some new recruits.

Also we got two OAVs! I dunno when the hell we're going to get the first one, and the second one is looking hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWI7o5v-RqM

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 27, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I hope the dubbing is as excellent for the second season as it was for the first.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Just finished the first series of this on Crunchyroll last night, and was debating whether to jump into the manga or just watch series 2 as it comes. Seems the first six volumes are on sale pretty cheap as a bundle, which is most of what's officially out in English in any case, so I might go ahead and grab them. Assuming I do, whereabouts did the first series adapt up to? I know volume 1 covered about the first five episodes, so I'm guessing they've covered the first two volumes or so.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

smenj posted:

Just finished the first series of this on Crunchyroll last night, and was debating whether to jump into the manga or just watch series 2 as it comes. Seems the first six volumes are on sale pretty cheap as a bundle, which is most of what's officially out in English in any case, so I might go ahead and grab them. Assuming I do, whereabouts did the first series adapt up to? I know volume 1 covered about the first five episodes, so I'm guessing they've covered the first two volumes or so.
The first season adapted until about halfway into Volume 3. This season provided it's 2-cour as expected will adapt until around the end of Volume 7.

1st Season ends on Chapter 21, "In Each of Our Hearts".

2nd, provided it covers what we expect it to, will end probably on chapter 59: "Listen up! A tale from the past!" (or "Know your history!" from most of the scanlations).

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 28, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The first season adapted until about halfway into Volume 3. This season provided it's 2-cour as expected will adapt until around the end of Volume 7.

1st Season ends on Chapter 21, "In Each of Our Hearts".

2nd, provided it covers what we expect it to, will end probably on chapter 59: "Listen up! A tale from the past!" (or "Know your history!" from most of the scanlations).

Thanks for letting me know! By the way, I don't mean to start a huge debate, but do people generally prefer the manga or the anime, or is it more of a toss-up? Having only watched the show, it seemed a great adaption, albeit a bit poorly paced, which I've heard is a shame since the pacing's one of the manga's big strengths. Of course, that could well improve in this coming series, but who knows?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The anime has its fantastic soundtrack and seeing stuff like Deku SMASHing the robot in episode 4 can't be beaten. It's also easier to connect with the side characters earlier on in the anime than in the manga, since they technically have more screentime, are voice-acted, and their designs can stand out more when they're colored. The manga has more content, of course, and things like Shigaraki's first appearance is way more effective in the manga.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I haven't read much into the Sports Festival arc, but when the anime gets past there, I plan to do the the extremely powerful move of reading the manga alongside the show and hopefully that'll finally give me enough momentum to read the manga myself.

I had read the manga before seeing the first season and yeah it's a real good adaptation with the only downside being it's like two chapters an episode

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Turns out that "you say run" is even more awesome then before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPneR3KFK8

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
man im so excited to see Kirishima vs Tetsutetsu animated

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

smenj posted:

Thanks for letting me know! By the way, I don't mean to start a huge debate, but do people generally prefer the manga or the anime, or is it more of a toss-up? Having only watched the show, it seemed a great adaption, albeit a bit poorly paced, which I've heard is a shame since the pacing's one of the manga's big strengths. Of course, that could well improve in this coming series, but who knows?
The anime is a goddamn near panel-for-panel recreation of the manga with very little added, edited, or cut out.

If the pacing is similar for this season the trend will continue. The anime is a treat for the manga-readers but most people I know who started on the anime felt it was a bit slow starting out.

The anime is pretty spot on in visually adapting Horikoshi's style and doing the action justice but there's a handful of still-shots that are absolutely better in the manga and most of them are of Shigaraki. His first entrance and an appearance later are VERY loving striking against the regular style of the manga.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

it's been a while since i read this part of the manga but it seems like the slightly slower pacing is still happening

also: that symbolism with todoroki in the op :drat:

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 1, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The extra polish they were able to add was definitely noticeable. Lots of extra little animation touches every now and then.

Cool ED.

WATASHI GANBARRRUUU

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 1, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Loving the early cameo of Gran Torino. Basically guarantees we're going to be getting to see what we've been hoping for from this season.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seems like more of the same as a whole, which is almost entirely positive. Hard to judge pacing though so unfair to say if fixed or not.

Apparently confirmed for two cours this time too

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 1, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/848188208454090752

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Move over, Denny's

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
First episode and ED were perfect, I missed seeing all these good kids animated

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I missed all these people. And everyone is awesome and cute.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nice to see some more interaction between the class. They weren't kidding about the animation so far- it's really good.

Iida is fantastic. The camera can't even keep his arms in frame.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Did the animation get a big bump between seasons or is it just me?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Because of the way several anime companies work, a lot of anime is often done in a rather limited timeframe. This time, they've built a solid buffer and have several episodes already done, so they can spend more time on polish and details.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's meant to be a trend of sorts where Episode 1 and 3 are really good animation because they're key episodes to gain and maintain a viewership and Episode 4 is a budget cutter

Not that I ever seen research to back it up tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just watched the new episodes. My two biggest takeaways:

- Holy poo poo Iida's arms are out of control
- I forgot how loving good Asui's Japanese VA is, shame on me

• Locked thread