Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
poor Ojiro, he's just trying to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

episode was ok, i dont care for the new op or ed. I haven't read the manga at all for this so the anime stuff is all new. I have no expectations or any idea of what cool things are going to happen.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

mabels big day posted:

episode was ok, i dont care for the new op or ed. I haven't read the manga at all for this so the anime stuff is all new. I have no expectations or any idea of what cool things are going to happen.
You have watched Season 1 first though right

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Day was a better OP than what we got here on like all fronts, really. It's a shame too, because this season is drawing from even better material.

Actual episode was definitely a little slow and I think it really could've gotten away with using way less flashbacks to S1 than it did really. That's probably what hampered it the most.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JT Jag posted:

Just watched the new episodes. My two biggest takeaways:

- Holy poo poo Iida's arms are out of control
- I forgot how loving good Asui's Japanese VA is, shame on me

Call her Tsuyu.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Guys I can't help but worry that Hagakure isn't gonna stand out a lot during the Sports Festival :ohdear:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

The Day was a better OP than what we got here on like all fronts, really. It's a shame too, because this season is drawing from even better material.

Actual episode was definitely a little slow and I think it really could've gotten away with using way less flashbacks to S1 than it did really. That's probably what hampered it the most.

i consider taking ten minutes out of a two-cour season to catch new people up to speed and remind anime-only people the general gist of the show an acceptable loss

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

i consider taking ten minutes out of a two-cour season to catch new people up to speed and remind anime-only people the general gist of the show an acceptable loss

What was the point of ep 13.5 then?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
An excuse to watch the All-Might/Nomu fight again.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://i.gyazo.com/c176f2be365c3b2a01fc998e1ffde766.mp4

The best part, finally animated

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

JT Jag posted:

You have watched Season 1 first though right

of course.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

I appreciated the reminder of some things, especially since a lot of it was a reminder of the emotional core of the series which is the main reason I think it's good.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This episode wasn't exactly exciting, mainly it was spent reintroducing the world and characters and recapping the event of last season and showing the reactions to it, but that's fine

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The contrast between how elegant the character re-introductions was and how inelegant the recap was is... a little jarring.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Izuku should probably find things to do other than watch that video for the five billionth time, though

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

El Burbo posted:

Izuku should probably find things to do other than watch that video for the five billionth time, though

I relate to him because I watch All Might clips billions of times IRL.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
After how the first season was practically a 1:1 remake, I'm glad they were willing to add a fair amount of anime only stuff. In a single chapter episode it's really necessary.

Just gonna hope they cut down on the flashbacks going forward.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Who loving runs Arby's's twitter? Jesus.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

It's too powerful.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

i wonder how jarring that post is to people who dont watch MHA or anime

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
First episode was okay I guess. Slow paced and I wasn't expecting recaps right after a recap episode

im sure it will pick up :jerry:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I love all the little animation bits they gave the characters. Iida's knifehands were on loving point, complete with swish sounds and stuff.
Those super quick textual SFX were great.
After we got past the recaps the whole thing was really fun to watch.

I hope they can keep that up.

E: Cute detail: IIRC if your green tea has a stalk floating vertically that symbolizes good luck. I like how it was just there without being called out.

E2: The show changed networks and apparently got a hold of an even more mainstream timeslot, so I assume all these flashbacks were at least partly to introduce all the new viewers to the universe.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 2, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Syllables posted:

i wonder how jarring that post is to people who dont watch MHA or anime

I don't watch MHA. It just shocks me that Arby's would make a reference to an anime most people following them have probably never heard of.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I don't watch MHA. It just shocks me that Arby's would make a reference to an anime most people following them have probably never heard of.
They did a Samurai Jack tweet a few weeks ago

Their social media director is very obviously a huge nerd

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

They've done One Piece and DBS recently too. Everything they post is probably confusing to the average person.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, let's be real, what "average person" follows the official Arby's Twitter? They are very deliberately following the exact same business strategy as the Denny's Tumblr, and it's beautiful.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's meant to be a trend of sorts where Episode 1 and 3 are really good animation because they're key episodes to gain and maintain a viewership and Episode 4 is a budget cutter

Not that I ever seen research to back it up tho

It's more like the first three episodes were made months before the anime got aired on tv, and they were screened at a venue in Shinjuku.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Just watched the new episodes. My two biggest takeaways:

- Holy poo poo Iida's arms are out of control
- I forgot how loving good Asui's Japanese VA is, shame on me

Aoi Yuki is always top class.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Guys I can't help but worry that Hagakure isn't gonna stand out a lot during the Sports Festival :ohdear:

Gonna be honest here. I didn't even know she was a character until this episode.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

She stands out more in the manga, since the panel composition does a pretty good job of focusing on her like it would any other character.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

the slower pacing really does not work with the race

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Good Mineta content today

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I do think they should move a bit faster with the race, but it's still good stuff.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They really seem to be big fans of trying to end on the original stinger pages of the manga.

Good episode but honestly- kinda slow again IMO.

Seeing that Kirishima's training consists of jumping off buildings and surviving it via his hardening power is pretty great though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, this is pretty glacial.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah, this is pretty glacial.
Yeah, but it's a pretty glacial.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I thought the pacing was kinda fast.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IMO, the thing at the end of the race, you know the one needs to be the highlight of an episode, so Ep 3 feels right for that.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://i.gyazo.com/0aa2b48b051c82d8849d78ac45d048ea.mp4

I'm okay with the pacing as long as we get Iida's powerful arms forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fabricated posted:

What sucks is that a 3rd season isn't guaranteed really, and that would likely cover the best two arcs in the manga- and particularly, two arcs that would be the most interesting to non-manga readers.

I'm just glad we'll likely get the Stain arc. Like most of the Stain arc is payoffs to character development from the sports festival. We'll know the fate of season 3 if we end on Shigaraki meeting some new recruits.

Also we got two OAVs! I dunno when the hell we're going to get the first one, and the second one is looking hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWI7o5v-RqM

I've been reading the manga as it comes out on kindle. I'm guessing the American release hasn't caught up to these two best arcs?

For reference, as if today the official release is only up to volume 7 which finishes off the stain arc. Am I expected to get an awesome new arc or two next?

• Locked thread