Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

This is actually a point in her character development believe it or not, and you may see it.

Yeah, Yaoyoruzu's problem is that while she's very powerful, she gets unlucky a few times in ways that hurt her self-confidence.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah being a character from fullmetal alchemist is pretty strong.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Same, Izuku's mom. Same.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah being a character from fullmetal alchemist is pretty strong.

She's quite possibly even crazier than that. Using her quirk seems to just use up small amounts of her body fat depending on what she creates. The only other limitations are that whatever she's creating must be small enough for her to pull it out of her body, and she needs to understand the exact details and material makeup down to the smallest part. The latter could normally be a pretty substantial hurdle, but Momo's a freakin' genius.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I like that she desuwa's.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Magni posted:

She's quite possibly even crazier than that. Using her quirk seems to just use up small amounts of her body fat depending on what she creates. The only other limitations are that whatever she's creating must be small enough for her to pull it out of her body, and she needs to understand the exact details and material makeup down to the smallest part. The latter could normally be a pretty substantial hurdle, but Momo's a freakin' genius.

The other limitation is that she thinks way, way too much about how her power can potentially disrupt the economy. If given the choice, she will always buy something rather than make it with her power because it is her DUTY to the FREE MARKET.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Fowl posted:

The other limitation is that she thinks way, way too much about how her power can potentially disrupt the economy. If given the choice, she will always buy something rather than make it with her power because it is her DUTY to the FREE MARKET.

That was A joke about how she really just wanted to buy dress up costumes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This episode was everything I was hoping it would be.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

Eh, not like her family isn't stupid rich as it is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The episode was literally this.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah it owned.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Seems like they're underutilizing Uraraka's abilities in a way that's not really characteristic of the show to date.

Given her victory declarations and what we've learned about her backstory, does that suggest to anyone else that her ability is going to be even more essential to a future game than "getting over a minefield without blowing up"?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's not much you can do with anti-gravity and a wide open minefield if you can't anti-grav yourself because of crippling vertigo and you didn't bring a sled with you cause your name isn't Deku.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont worry, ochako loving owns in this arc

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eej posted:

There's not much you can do with anti-gravity and a wide open minefield if you can't anti-grav yourself because of crippling vertigo and you didn't bring a sled with you cause your name isn't Deku.
I really look forward to her getting over her vertigo and attaching a bunch of direction-controlling little booster rockets to her costume so she can become the DBZ character she deserves to be

Less DBZ character and more human Gundam now that I think of it

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 17, 2017

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I appreciate the mangaka getting burned out naming all the class b mooks around Metal Body Boy and just going with Irony McIronface

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hargrimm posted:

I appreciate the mangaka getting burned out naming all the class b mooks around Metal Body Boy and just going with Irony McIronface

That's not him getting burnt out, that's just how he tends to name his characters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sero's name comes from cellophane tape.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu is one of the best names in the series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not nearly as big on MHA as many people who post about it here, but there's one thing about Horikoshi for sure and that's that he's not burning out in anyway, almost to a detriment if anything. Dude has a million different characters and uses great character ideas on people who have like 2 panels at times. Dude's an idea factory.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hargrimm posted:

Basically 99% of the characters have names that are a pun based on their personality or their quirks- to the point that when new villains and heroes show up people try to figure out their quirks based on their names.

It's usually based on a straight reading of the kanji picked for their name. Todoroki's name can be read as "Burnt, Frozen", Iida's is a straight phonetic reading (Idaten basically means "Great Runner!"), Hagekure's name is read like "Hidden by Leaves", etc.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The joke with Tetsutetsu is that he has the same quirk as Kirishima, so he's redundant, thus his name is extremely redundant. It is four different kanji though, per the wiki:

quote:

His name is composed of the kanji for "iron" (鉄?), "clear" (哲?), "pierce" (徹?), and an archaic kanji for "iron" (鐵?).
Although even then, he has "iron" in his first and last name.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
his parents must be the absolute worst/best

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yeah the whole thing gets funny/weird when you consider that people don't develop their quirks until they're a few years old for the most part, or at least old enough to have been named already. either all the parents in the MHA universe are clairvoyant, people get new punny names after developing their quirks (preferably as dictated by law), or someone somewhere has a really lovely quirk that just radiates baby names to expectant parents that hints at their kid's future quirk and just no one has picked up on it yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dont most kids get quirks based on their parents' quirks? so if, say, tetsutestu's parents both had steel powers like that it'd make sense.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh yeah, that's true!

e: is deku's name a pun on fire breathing or telekinesis?

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 19, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Countblanc posted:

oh yeah, that's true!

e: is deku's name a pun on fire breathing or telekinesis?

Boku no Hero Academia Wikia posted:

Izuku's name contains the kanji for "green" (緑?), "valley" (谷), "coming out/being from a certain place" (出) and "long ago" (久).

"久" is also homophonous to "nine" (九 usually read as Kyū), which refers to him being the ninth user of One For All.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
quick reminder that the riddler's real name is edward nigma. not really breaking new ground here guys.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No mention of Victor Fries?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Two guesses what Telford Porter's superpower is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can make tea without needing a kettle

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can make tea without needing a kettle

Can you even have real tea without a kettle?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I bought the Bluray set. There's not much to the extras sadly but hey I wanted to support the series. Also I kinda wanna see what they fixed up.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Gyges posted:

Can you even have real tea without a kettle?

My parents' house has a boiling water tap and it's the greatest thing ever for tea. :colbert:

Also, I bought the first seven volumes in a bundle. Looking forward to reading them later this week!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I bought the Bluray set. There's not much to the extras sadly but hey I wanted to support the series. Also I kinda wanna see what they fixed up.
Did they fix All-Might's yaoi hands?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah, he's much more finely shaded and detailed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The only way MHA could be better is if the art style was more obviously influenced by Western comics. A specific use of palette and shading, essentially.

But then it might turn off new viewers/readers. Ah well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the art style as it is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sonny Strait is sick so this week's dubbed episode will have an understudy for Present Mic, which is maybe a problem inherent in this way of doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Sonny Strait is sick so this week's dubbed episode will have an understudy for Present Mic, which is maybe a problem inherent in this way of doing it.

yea

• Locked thread