Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
hmmm looking for shoes like MHA... maybe he'll like Berserk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

ViggyNash posted:

Seconding. It's the best traditional shounen show. I've heard YuYu Hakushou described in the same vein, but I've not seen it.

Wait wait. Is everyone going to let this one go by? Viggy, go watch Yu Yu Hakusho.

Right now.

And anyone else who hasn't seen it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
You'll ... thank me for waking you up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tiger & Bunny is still the best rec.

One Piece

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah Yu Yu Hakusho is incredibly good and also very similar in feel to MHA for most of its run. It's got a similar hopeful save-the-world vibe while being a pretty traditional shonen romp.

Also Tiger & Bunny cannot be recommended enough, it is extremely good.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I am completely floored by how this anime keeps making already awesome stuff from the manga even better.

This episode is an example of one of my favorite things about MHA, and that is Horikoshi's ability and willingness to do team fights that utilize everyone involved in creative ways.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Wow, thanks guys! That's a lot to look at! I think I'll start with Tiger & Bunny first and work my way through!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

wokow6 posted:

I am completely floored by how this anime keeps making already awesome stuff from the manga even better.

This episode is an example of one of my favorite things about MHA, and that is Horikoshi's ability and willingness to do team fights that utilize everyone involved in creative ways.

Part of this is also making characters like Bakugo not permanently braindead balls of anger. Characters learn, adapt, and grow, and it's very visible how they're doing so when we see them in battle. Kaminari for example has definitely been building up his stamina to keep going longer before he conks out, and it took just a couple second shot to display that effort. Bakugo for his part seems to be able to control and utilize his rage to find better ways of approaching a situation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Deku's mom is a good mom. :unsmith:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Uraraka doing the Iida arms :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And avatar size:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This season is having basically every problem the first season did. It's not very good.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I think we'll agree to disagree on that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's awesome aside from the too-long recap at the beginning of each episode.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I didn't like the sports festival very much reading MHA, but watching it has made me really come around on it. This is such a cool show to watch in motion, even things like races and cavalry battles become so intense and awesome. The music in the show is used really perfectly too, it's the only time someone I watch anime with asked me how they could get the OST for a show and I think a lot of that is how the music gets tied in to the emotional highs so well. MHA was already such a good manga but the animation adds so much to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

And avatar size:

Make her look to the right

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

IIDA-KUN! That's not fair!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Gyges posted:

There's actually no way to tell since Fairy Tail uses a secret hypnotic design hidden in Natsu's scarf that makes you forget almost everything about it within minutes of consuming it.

I liked the music in the first couple dozen episodes.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
drat they nailed the last 10 seconds of the cavalry battle

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This season is having basically every problem the first season did. It's not very good.

Do enlighten us.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

No don't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

IIDA-KUN! That's not fair!

Domo arigato

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's some mild pacing problems and i dont think anyone would deny that - some unnecessary recaps, a couple of scenes per episode where they explain things for too long while nothing happens - but the important scenes have a lot of kinetic energy to them and there are some great bits of character animation that add a lot to making the cast feel like they're really bouncing off each other, so overall i'd say it's a pretty good anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm having more fun following this season weekly than when i tried doing that with season 1

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

a kitten posted:

No don't.

Agreed, we don't need the threadshitting.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

The random shark guy in the audience shots is my fave background character so far

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Do enlighten us.

Nah, the post summed it up.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

EGSunBro posted:

I didn't like the sports festival very much reading MHA, but watching it has made me really come around on it. This is such a cool show to watch in motion, even things like races and cavalry battles become so intense and awesome.

I agree with Josuke Higashikata and have basically the opposite view to this, funnily enough. The fundamental problem of the first season has carried over into this one: it's mostly not very good to watch in motion, because the intensity and energy is deflated by an excess of talking and waiting. It's a pretty faithful adaption, but what works on page doesn't work on screen. The energy is the preserve of particular 'wow' moments they can get away with rather than scenes as a whole.

This is common for shounen adaption and is probably a neccessity of the circumstances, but it is what it is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't read the manga but the anime is pretty cool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Your avatar is pretty cool.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I do skip like a minute and a half of recap that they put at the beginning of every episode every week but once it gets going it's good.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can't tell if the pacing is better this season or if it's just covering a more action packed stint of the comic

Either way, I like it! And more characters=more dense stuff in group shots that can be cool

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So quick question.

Is everyone in the crowd able to see Allmight in that box he's in, all powered down? I though they were making a big deal of not letting anyone know he was limited last season?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

So quick question.

Is everyone in the crowd able to see Allmight in that box he's in, all powered down? I though they were making a big deal of not letting anyone know he was limited last season?
How would they know he's All Might? he's just some weird-looking dude sitting in the crowd.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nitrousoxide posted:

So quick question.

Nobody knows skinny skeleton man is actually All Might, they just assume he's one of the other teachers they haven't seen. It's his Clark Kent mode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Endorph posted:

How would they know he's All Might? he's just some weird-looking dude sitting in the crowd.

He is wearing All Might's suit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's a suit, it's not like it's super distinct.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

if all might is the only man in the world that wears a dark blue suit with a brown tie, then that's a more amazing superpower than his strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT
*busts out, wearing dark blue suit with brown tie, of the final store in the world that sells blue suits with brown ties*
I'M HERE
*dark blue suit with brown tie store explodes, taking last remaining world's stock of dark blue suits with brown ties with it*

• Locked thread