Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Can I just mention that the music in this show is amazing? I might have done that already, can't remember, doesn't matter.

Seriously, I feel like it's the music that makes the show's best moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ViggyNash posted:

Can I just mention that the music in this show is amazing? I might have done that already, can't remember, doesn't matter.

Seriously, I feel like it's the music that makes the show's best moments.
I Say Run in particular is breathtakingly good, I don't have anything from S2 that particularly stands out as much just yet, but I do keep getting Peace Sign stuck in my head.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

PMush Perfect posted:

I Say Run in particular is breathtakingly good, I don't have anything from S2 that particularly stands out as much just yet, but I do keep getting Peace Sign stuck in my head.

I really like the op for season 2.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The visuals are less spectacular than S1's, but the song itself kind of gets its hooks in deeper?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Has Hagakure ever gotten covered in paint or flour or anything or is that part of the joke?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

The visuals are less spectacular than S1's, but the song itself kind of gets its hooks in deeper?

Thematically it works a lot better.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I really like the op for season 2.

More than the op, I like that short interlude that they put before it. The music for that bit is absolutely spectacular and really sets the mood for me.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Caphi posted:

Has Hagakure ever gotten covered in paint or flour or anything or is that part of the joke?

Manga spoiler: They visit a hot spring and we briefly see a human-shaped void where she's swimming. Only from the chest down, though. That's the only thing I can recall.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
The cavalry battle is so loving rad god drat

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's weird seeing self-admitted "casual" anime podcasts/reviewers watch this episode and actually be like, "Wtf was the fan service for? I don't need to see that. This ep should've been 90% backstory! I wanna know more about the characters!" I'm used to hearing the exact opposite.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

It's weird seeing self-admitted "casual" anime podcasts/reviewers watch this episode and actually be like, "Wtf was the fan service for? I don't need to see that. This ep should've been 90% backstory! I wanna know more about the characters!" I'm used to hearing the exact opposite.
:3: MHA brings out the best in people.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

:3: MHA brings out the best in people.
Also I always thought it was kinda weak and it seems especially weak in the anime given how they did the dialog but this reaction I heard to him and Todoroki's talk loving slayed me:

quote:

"Man, I hope Deku loses after that fuckin bullshit speech he gave Icyhot."

"Oh yeah, I was dropped on my head as a kid and dragged through the mud, I was forced to do hard labor for 23 hours a day, I was raped, my dad beat me with a hotwheels track.- and then Deku says, 'Well people have always helped me out so I'm gonna win with the power of friendship!'"
Like, it's absolutely not wrong. The scanlation I think did a better job of making Deku's reaction seem more authentic. Rather than "I had nothing to say", they used "What do you even say to something like that?" which is a way, way better line which gives more context to him admitting his motivation isn't as deep.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fabricated posted:

And the fanservice, while obvious, wasn't even of the gross variety too

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Like, it's absolutely not wrong. The scanlation I think did a better job of making Deku's reaction seem more authentic. Rather than "I had nothing to say", they used "What do you even say to something like that?" which is a way, way better line which gives more context to him admitting his motivation isn't as deep.
I'm curious how people's feelings about this scene will develop based on the results of the rest of the arc.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Maybe IcyCold will become a villain! He's got the look and smug face.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JT Jag posted:

And the fanservice, while obvious, wasn't even of the gross variety too

There were a couple of pretty bad closeup shots

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

deku running up and talking about the power of friendship felt really weird to me. it didn't seem like something an actual person would say at all. why did deku feel like he had to justify his own motivations to someone else? it felt like a speech that was there just so the audience would be reminded that deku's the one they're supposed to be rooting for

also icyhot briefly mentioning that his mother poured boiling water on his face as a kid was pretty nuts. it makes me wonder why he hates his dad instead of his mom.

i mean his dad is a eugenics rear end in a top hat, but like, compared to being disfigured for life? that's the parent who's powers you want to use exclusively? i don't want to get too critical of icyhot when i don't really have complete knowledge of his motivations (again, his mother was only mentioned for like 5 seconds), but right now it looks kinda silly.

overall i'm enjoying the show. other than the 2-4 minute recaps at the beginning of every episode, i'm not so sure that the team assembling phase of the cavalry battle should've gotten basically an entire episode all to itself, but otherwise the pacing is pretty fine to me. the action has been pretty good, and there's been some pretty cool creative use of super powers.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
He is the product of rape, so she things are complicated.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

He is the product of rape, so she things are complicated.
It's not said explicitly, anywhere, but it is very heavily implied that his mother did not choose to marry Endeavor.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Icyhot motivations, from what I remember. Maybe slight spoilers:
I think he holds animosity towards both parents, but much moreso his father since he essentially just raped his wife until he got the power combo he wanted in his child. Which, obviously, hosed todoroki's mother up to the point where she saw him as a reminder of the terrible things that happened to her.
So he blames her less than his father.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm pretty sure he blames his father for his mother's behaviour. Endeavor has been a much more constant and domineering presence in his life as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Endeavor is even a jerk to All Might. Clearly he is the worst. Wouldn't even have tea with the pillar of justice. A shameful dad.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm interested to see if they don't tone down part of Todorokis back story.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

More minor Icyhot spoilers: Todoroki has elder siblings who only got one of the two powers and Endeavor basically started ignoring them as soon as he realized.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

deku running up and talking about the power of friendship felt really weird to me. it didn't seem like something an actual person would say at all. why did deku feel like he had to justify his own motivations to someone else? it felt like a speech that was there just so the audience would be reminded that deku's the one they're supposed to be rooting for

I mean Todoroki did issue a challenge and just gave a speech about his motivation. As a rival, Midoriya was honor bound to reciprocate.

Moreover, remembering heroic origins is something of a running theme.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like maybe there's some ethical issues with Shinso's Quirk that UA should really address.

E: Also I think that may have been the quickest episode we've had so far. We got a lot done.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 13, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like maybe there's some ethical issues with Shinso's Quirk that UA should really address.

There are no ethics in a tournament. Just manly honor and friendship through punching. Shinso's yet to violate the true rules of fighting. Unless you're saying JoJos aren't in possession of manly honor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, I mean like

In general.

Dude is Kilgrave.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Or Professor X. Because the main distinction is how they use their power. Shinso used it to advance in a sports meet that explicitly allows the use of Quirks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The ethical implications are that it's fine as long as he only uses it to catch the bad guys (presumably by ordering them to stop and tie themselves up or whatever). This is the same reason punching people is fine.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

E: Also I think that may have been the quickest episode we've had so far. We got a lot done.

I feel like they probably have psychologists or empaths on staff who could verify that he likely lacks villainous intent. We could probably also presume they have some ethics courses as well, since if you're not a Hero you shouldn't be using your quirks outside of completing mundane tasks.

e: Oh you meant just using it on people to reach an end in general? I feel like the "fogginess" aspect of it prevents his Quirk from being a traumatic experience in of itself as you don't remember being taken controlled of. So as long as he isn't using it to get his rocks off outside of training then it's probably fine.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 13, 2017

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not very ethical to punch or shoot explosions at people either.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Just spoiled myself on Todoroki's mom, yeah I can see why Endeavor is his focus of his hatred and not his mom pouring boiling water on him. Todoroki is a good dude for forgiving that.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
His parents are both horrible, horrible people and he shouldn't be using either of their quirks. If he wanted to really stick it to 'em he'd go quirkless.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
His mother who had an emotional breakdown is not a horrible person.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They seem good.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Darke GBF posted:

His parents are both horrible, horrible people and he shouldn't be using either of their quirks. If he wanted to really stick it to 'em he'd go quirkless.

:thinking:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

a kitten posted:

They seem good.

I loved the entire audience going "It's alright, buddy!"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just hope Cero gets a sweet 3M sponsorship out of this tournament.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Goddamn did Todoroki's effortless victory over Sero seem way, way more vicious and brutal in animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the animation on the predecessors reveal was insanely badass

• Locked thread