Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I actually really like the slowish pace because they've been giving a fuckload of time and personality to the extremely fun and good side characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It was for Sero's benefit, because there's literally no way Sero could have done anything against that in a fair 1v1 encounter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kyte posted:

In the end Momo still hasn't developed the situational awareness and ability to think on her feet the others have been working on, and that, more so than quirk compatibility, was her undoing.

In Momo's defense, her quirk requires a lot more thought to use effectively on the fly than most we've seen. It has ridiculous versatility and enormous potential but trying to think about what items would help in a given situation, remembering how they're constructed from memory, and then using the items effectively once they're made while someone is actively trying to beat you up is a whole lot more work than simply shooting ice walls or turning yourself super hard and punching someone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shere posted:

You Say Run is the best hype track. I love this series.

You Say Run is definitely one of my favorite "swelling hype" tracks of all time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

For reference, this was the 9th episode of the sports festival. We're not even at a whole cour for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's really too bad that Endeavor is human garbage because his design is fantastic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bakugou has two really important things in the sports arc that show that he's not just a boring, one-dimensional rear end in a top hat.

First, his fight with Uraraka shows that despite his complete rear end in a top hat demeanor, he holds a massive well of respect for others' abilities. He would never engage Uraraka in polite conversation or act like her friend, but think about their fight; everyone in the audience except Aizawa, even Uraraka's friends, assumed that she was a helpless little girl with no hope of victory and he was simply bullying and abusing her. That scene is actually amazing, because Bakugou of all people is the one who is giving Uraraka the benefit of the doubt and acknowledging that she's skillful and dangerous enough to be wary of.

Second, his fight with Todoroki and the result is super important because it plays on the other positive factor of Bakugou's personality. He's an arrogant, abrasive dickhead who thinks he's better than everyone else, but he wants to earn that self-superiority fair and square. Just winning and being called number one is meaningless; it has to be something that he won with blood, sweat, tears, and effort to be worth anything to him. Todoroki basically throwing the match drove Bakugou into a rage not just because he wanted a good fight or whatever, but because it pretty much spat on all of Bakugou's efforts in the tournament up to that point and made all of his successes totally hollow. He can't prove to himself that he deserves to be so smug and superior if he wins on a technicality or because his opponent gave up halfway through.

He's not really meant to be a likeable character, but I think he's really well done.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If all of Todoroki's issues were solved by Deku egging him into using his fire side one time, it would make Todoroki a really boring and bad character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CrazySalamander posted:

I thought it was implied you weren't allowed to use quirks in a job unless you had a hero license?

You're allowed to use quirks in a profession provided you're licensed to do so; you don't have to be a hero to get a license to be Guy Who Breathes Fire To Grill Burgers. They mention that electric quirk havers are consistently in high demand for various jobs because of how useful that type of quirk is for general stuff.

The heavy restrictions are against running around using your quirk willy nilly in public, because everyone using superpowers at random in a city full of potentially millions of people would be dangerous at best.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eela6 posted:

Stain is a loving psycho. "Don't listen to the logic of a murderer" was a really good line.

It's also on point, because Stain's philosophy is riven with cracks. The big example is how he despises other heroes as mercenaries while putting All Might on a pedestal, but we were already shown that All Might himself got into the merchandising game; lil' babby Deku had All Might branded clothing and All Might toys and All Might posters.

Stain is almost totally uninterested in results and consequences and completely interested in motivations, and his arbitrary judgement of a particular individual can change mercurially from moment to moment. There's not a lot of consistency in his philosophy besides a burning anger at the current state of society which has some legitimate roots(such as the hero Momo is interning with).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

Not really? Not sure where you're getting the mercenaries bit from, but he despises most heroes for treating heroing as a job, rather than as a calling - in the "legendary hero" sort of way. The sort of person who would go out and be a superhero, money or no, as opposed to simply rescuing people. And of course heroes of that sort need to be invincible as well, so just good intentions aren't enough in his book.

Is this a remotely realistic look at a world where superpowers have become commonplace? Of course not, and it's completely unreasonable to hold everyone to the standard of a seeming paragon such as All Might, but it's not just about heroes making money or whatever.

Direct from ep 28:

Stain: "'Hero' is a title only given to those who have accomplished great deeds! There are too many...too many who act like heroes but are really money-worshippers."

That's pretty much directly accusing heroes as acting like mercenaries(i.e. a neutral party motivated to take part in hostile action for personal gain), which is pretty much exactly what you're saying about "treating heroing as a job".

Stain's philosophy is hosed up arbitrary garbage because he simply goes to kill heroes indiscriminately and makes spot judgments if they're worthy of living from moment to moment rather than as a result of any careful observation or scrutiny. Ingenium, by everything we've been shown, is exactly the sort of hero that Stain should deem acceptable; he's motivated by a desire to help people above all else, and wants to be a role model to others like his brother. Stain cut him up in an alley and left him paralyzed.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 2, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'd probably put the crime reduction from Stain's presence down to people being afraid to go out at night due to there being a crazed murderer on the loose; less people being outside means less potential victims. It's the same reason why less crime occurs in the winter in many areas in real life.

Basically, the problem with Stain's philosophy is that there isn't a necessary connection between a pure motivation to be a hero and being an effective hero. Endeavor is the presented example here. Personally, he's a loving trainwreck. He's an enormous, self-absorbed rear end in a top hat with an awful obsession that hosed over his family in a big way. On the job, however, he's pretty much a shining paragon of what a hero should be: he's immensely powerful and effective at his job, and not just at the beating up villains part; he's cool-headed, decisive, great at coordinating the efforts of others in useful ways on the spot, mindful of collateral damage, and capable of trusting the judgment of others. Does Endeavor being a huge rear end in a top hat on a personal level mean that he's bad at being a hero? Stain certainly thinks so and calls him a fake, but even one of the direct victims of the worst of Endeavor's failings, Shoto, is willing to acknowledge that Endeavor is really loving good at his job and should be admired for that and learned from.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 2, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Endeavor is such a terrible person I wouldn't want to learn anything from him, regardless of how effective he is. His motivations drive his methods and if heroism is supposed to mean something more than being good at beating up villains and rescuing people from disasters anything you pick up from observing him is tainted right at the outset. Simply being around the guy is placing yourself in a toxic environment.

I guess I disagree with this entirely. I think that it's still possible for lovely, terrible people to accomplish things that can really help people and society and that ideological purity isn't a requirement for someone to be worth learning from, especially when we're talking about a field of work that is directly responsible for the safety of innocent lives.

Endeavor is an awful, terrible person on a personal level who has caused untold suffering to his family and deserves censure for it, but his methodology and approach to being a hero has presumably saved a lot of lives and diverted a lot of disasters because he's considered a more effective hero than literally any other hero in the system except for All Might himself. Hell, in this encounter alone, Endeavor's presence saved the lives of multiple heroes who would have died horribly to Nomus, in addition to any bystanders or additional heroes who would have been hurt by the Nomus continuing to rampage and Stain potentially escaping because the heroes who arrived to help round him up would have instead been busy being loving dead.

Shoto himself acknowledges that while he hates his dad for what he's done and will probably never forgive him, there are a lot of useful things that he can learn from Endeavor's vast well of experience. That doesn't mean he needs to copy Endeavor's motivations in the slightest. He can take lessons about how Endeavor takes command of the situation, prioritizes threats, and puts the safety of bystanders first, for example, because none of those things require him to share Endeavor's toxic "GOTTA BEAT ALL MIGHT" motivation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

And this, right here, is why Stain considers him a fake. Endeavor, much like Bakugo, wants to be number 1. That's it. That's his raison d'etre. His entire motivation is "to be better than All Might." Focusing on surpassing All Might is not heroic.

It doesn't matter if he's how good he is at getting results, because he's doing it for the wrong reasons. You can be a hero that is All Might-levels of good at saving people, fighting crime and beating incredibly powerful villains but if you were solely interested in the financial gain coming from it, you would still be a fake in Stain's eyes.

And that's why I think Stain's entire philosophy is pretty much total garbage. If I'm going to get stabbed by a junkie in an alleyway and a hero swings in and saves my life, I'm not really concerned about if they're motivated by the desire for big endorsement dollars or if they're a really big jerk. If a hero saves a bus load of people from careening off a bridge, I don't give a poo poo if they're thinking about the modeling deal they had to skip to do it. They're a hero because they willingly put themselves in danger to save lives, even if they're gaining something from it or aren't doing it for ideologically pure reasons. In real life, police or firemen who put themselves in serious or mortal danger to rescue other people are often hailed as heroes despite that literally being their career, and they deserve the accolades.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I agree to an extent, but should someone who viciously beats and abuses his wife and kids be revered only one step down from All-Might? A system where you can use your wealth and fame to keep that sort of stuff a secret and avoid the consequences of your own actions is flawed. I would not be at all surprised is the Police and Government know about or have gotten hints of the sort of stuff Endeavor does at home and don't interfere or investigate because it's a "family matter" and because they don't want to piss off someone as powerful as Endeavor, Shouto and his mother written off as necessary collateral damage. I guess it depends on how much the MHA universe Japanese government differs from the real life version.

But yeah, Stain's ideology is untenable extremism, it demands that everyone be an impossible paragon. Stain's ideology is rooted in real problems with the MHA world, but it does not present any workable solution for those problems, so he just lashes out in anger.

Endeavor's abuse looks to be emotional, rather than physical, so it's pretty hard for outsiders to know about it. The hospital staff at the place where Shoto's mom was placed were probably told "she had a breakdown and poured boiling water on our son while screaming about hating him", for example.

I don't imagine the general public is aware of Endeavor's family stuff on any level, or else he would be substantially less popular than he is. Deku, who is a huge hero otaku who makes it his business to study and take notes on every hero he can, had absolutely no idea about any of it until Shoto infodumped him. Hell, I don't think that other pro heroes are aware of what he did; All Might doesn't seem to know.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SpacePig posted:

One of the first of Todoroki's memories we see is his mom being hit by Endeavor. We've also seen a memory where he punched him in the stomach so hard that he puked, and still insisted that he stand up and fight back. Endeavor for sure is physically abusive to at least Todoroki and his mom.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

We literally saw him punching Shouto in the stomach as a 5 year old and then hitting his wife when she tried to stop him. We saw Shouto's mom talking to her mother about what was going on, and her mother would have to be seriously dense as hell not to notice even if Shouto's mom was being indirect and not going into detail, the only reason it would not get out from her side of the family is either that her parents don't care about her or that they were far too afraid of Endeavour to bring his abuse of their daughter to light. The doctors and therapists at the hospital she was admitted to would need to be monumentally incompetent to not see the very obvious signs of abuse and any competent psychologist would not dismiss the things she probably told them out of hand as delusion. Considering that the doctors would be aware of at least the possibility of child abuse they would have a duty to go to the police to get an investigation started, that does not appear to have happened either because the hospital and doctors failed to notify the police or because they did and the police chose not to look into the matter.

I should be more specific, I think; Endeavor is absolutely hugely abusive and I'm not trying to deny that, but he's not physically abusive in a way that is easily visible to outsiders. Him roughing up Shoto could pretty easily be passed off as "training" and be believed, and since he wasn't really beating his wife black and blue it would be pretty easy for Endeavor to simply shake his head and point to the fact that she burnt the poo poo out of their tiny child with boiling water to cast a large amount of doubt on her accusations. Mrs. Endeavor's own family pretty obviously doesn't give much of a poo poo about her considering that they effectively sold her into a loveless quirk marriage in the first place, so I really doubt that her parents would risk rocking the boat in that way because if they were really concerned about her welfare and happiness they wouldn't have put her in this position to begin with.

Given that she's been living in a hospital for what appears to be years at this point(since she was put there when Shoto was a child and he's a teenager now), it's probably not something anyone is actively investigating anymore.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kild posted:

Uh we don't know that about Ingenium and Tenya was in it solely for revenge and wasn't going to even be targeted by Stain because he's a child. And they both lost so they're not good enough.

To be fair, in a one on one situation anyone short of All Might would probably lose to Stain. Hell, All Might might lose to Stain if Stain attacked him from ambush or All Might tried to pull his punches too much; all it takes is one nick and you're dead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, they beat the drum about how Deku's fanboy reverence for All Might is actively holding him back in a lot of ways and how he needs to shed it to some degree if he's going to actually make OfA his own quirk and be a real hero of his own.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyway I assume her tongue is super strong since she can apparently pick people up with it so that probably wouldn't work.

Her tongue looks to be superhumanly powerful, since at one point in the ep it's supporting the weight of 3 people(including a huge beefcake of a guy) without any apparent pain or effort and she can also use it to restrain and haul around fully grown adult humans from a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I mean his line is "I thought you'd be good at it", not "I definitely thought you were the best choice possible based on my extensive knowledge of your abilities and personality". They voted for class rep after the combat training part, which included Momo effortlessly dissecting and explaining everything right and wrong about Deku vs Midoriya in a clear and concise manner. He probably thought she seemed pretty smart.

• Locked thread