Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What sucks is that a 3rd season isn't guaranteed really, and that would likely cover the best two arcs in the manga- and particularly, two arcs that would be the most interesting to non-manga readers.

I'm just glad we'll likely get the Stain arc. Like most of the Stain arc is payoffs to character development from the sports festival. We'll know the fate of season 3 if we end on Shigaraki meeting some new recruits.

Also we got two OAVs! I dunno when the hell we're going to get the first one, and the second one is looking hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWI7o5v-RqM

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

smenj posted:

Just finished the first series of this on Crunchyroll last night, and was debating whether to jump into the manga or just watch series 2 as it comes. Seems the first six volumes are on sale pretty cheap as a bundle, which is most of what's officially out in English in any case, so I might go ahead and grab them. Assuming I do, whereabouts did the first series adapt up to? I know volume 1 covered about the first five episodes, so I'm guessing they've covered the first two volumes or so.
The first season adapted until about halfway into Volume 3. This season provided it's 2-cour as expected will adapt until around the end of Volume 7.

1st Season ends on Chapter 21, "In Each of Our Hearts".

2nd, provided it covers what we expect it to, will end probably on chapter 59: "Listen up! A tale from the past!" (or "Know your history!" from most of the scanlations).

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 28, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

smenj posted:

Thanks for letting me know! By the way, I don't mean to start a huge debate, but do people generally prefer the manga or the anime, or is it more of a toss-up? Having only watched the show, it seemed a great adaption, albeit a bit poorly paced, which I've heard is a shame since the pacing's one of the manga's big strengths. Of course, that could well improve in this coming series, but who knows?
The anime is a goddamn near panel-for-panel recreation of the manga with very little added, edited, or cut out.

If the pacing is similar for this season the trend will continue. The anime is a treat for the manga-readers but most people I know who started on the anime felt it was a bit slow starting out.

The anime is pretty spot on in visually adapting Horikoshi's style and doing the action justice but there's a handful of still-shots that are absolutely better in the manga and most of them are of Shigaraki. His first entrance and an appearance later are VERY loving striking against the regular style of the manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nice to see some more interaction between the class. They weren't kidding about the animation so far- it's really good.

Iida is fantastic. The camera can't even keep his arms in frame.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They really seem to be big fans of trying to end on the original stinger pages of the manga.

Good episode but honestly- kinda slow again IMO.

Seeing that Kirishima's training consists of jumping off buildings and surviving it via his hardening power is pretty great though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ineffiable posted:

I've been reading the manga as it comes out on kindle. I'm guessing the American release hasn't caught up to these two best arcs?

For reference, as if today the official release is only up to volume 7 which finishes off the stain arc. Am I expected to get an awesome new arc or two next?
Yes, basically. There's a very short arc with some character development, then straight into two-connected arcs where the poo poo truly hits the fan and absolutely does not stop.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You can see bits and pieces of more of the class 1-B kids which is cool. The dude with the head made of comic dialog bubbles is in there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He's pretty bad in the OVA. He pervs on Ochako, Tsuyu, and Momo complete with extended rear end shots of all 3.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait the OVA is out?
The one that came with the latest volume where it's the kids at USJ again is out. I dunno if it's subbed yet.

"Training of the Dead" is not out yet AFAIK.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Peel posted:

Yaoyorozu entered Yuuei on special recommendation. She's expected to excel. Instead she came 17th because she had to drag a creeper limpet the whole back half of the course.
This is actually a point in her character development believe it or not, and you may see it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hargrimm posted:

I appreciate the mangaka getting burned out naming all the class b mooks around Metal Body Boy and just going with Irony McIronface
Basically 99% of the characters have names that are a pun based on their personality or their quirks- to the point that when new villains and heroes show up people try to figure out their quirks based on their names.

It's usually based on a straight reading of the kanji picked for their name. Todoroki's name can be read as "Burnt, Frozen", Iida's is a straight phonetic reading (Idaten basically means "Great Runner!"), Hagekure's name is read like "Hidden by Leaves", etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I bought the Bluray set. There's not much to the extras sadly but hey I wanted to support the series. Also I kinda wanna see what they fixed up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Basically the adaptation is fine by me but I think for people coming in fresh there's too much exposition and the episodes tend to end just when things are getting good- and more in a frustrating way rather than a good cliffhanger sort of way.

Like I know there's gonna be a lot of anime only watchers who are gonna hate the fight with Shinsou. Regardless how it sets anything up it's a slap fight with what a lot of people are going to call an asspull.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 30, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I look forward to seeing reviewers and casual watcher whine that the episode "had nothing going on" in it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Lemme tell you, this upcoming tournament is one of the best tournaments I've seen in a shonen manga because it ain't just fights for fights' sake. We only focus on a couple, and they're all big character moments.
Guarantee we're gonna start hearing "asspull!" after the next episode.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's weird seeing self-admitted "casual" anime podcasts/reviewers watch this episode and actually be like, "Wtf was the fan service for? I don't need to see that. This ep should've been 90% backstory! I wanna know more about the characters!" I'm used to hearing the exact opposite.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

:3: MHA brings out the best in people.
Also I always thought it was kinda weak and it seems especially weak in the anime given how they did the dialog but this reaction I heard to him and Todoroki's talk loving slayed me:

quote:

"Man, I hope Deku loses after that fuckin bullshit speech he gave Icyhot."

"Oh yeah, I was dropped on my head as a kid and dragged through the mud, I was forced to do hard labor for 23 hours a day, I was raped, my dad beat me with a hotwheels track.- and then Deku says, 'Well people have always helped me out so I'm gonna win with the power of friendship!'"
Like, it's absolutely not wrong. The scanlation I think did a better job of making Deku's reaction seem more authentic. Rather than "I had nothing to say", they used "What do you even say to something like that?" which is a way, way better line which gives more context to him admitting his motivation isn't as deep.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm interested to see if they don't tone down part of Todorokis back story.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

It's never outright stated how it happened, and it implies to me (indirectly, by Todoroki's fondness for her) that she did it by accident while frustrated.

I mean, the bottom line is how Todoroki actually feels about it all. If he wholeheartedly forgives her, then that is it, isn't it?
I'm kinda tired so I'm not recalling if you're also in the manga thread, but spoilers: No, she specifically throws the boiling water in his face by both Shouto's description and Endeavor's description of the event when she has a mental break on seeing Todoroki peek around a corner with the side of his face that resembles his father's while she was in particularly bad shape (she's on the phone with her mother, talking about how she knows she's coming apart and is starting to hate her children- and that she thinks she's unfit to raise them anymore and is frightened at what she might do).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's easier to forgive Shouto's mom than to forgive his dad, and she literally permanently scarred him. Just goes to show how loving despicable Endeavor is as a character.

If she's forgivable or not is an individual thing. Japanese face-saving and how forgiveness is handled in general in Japanese culture always kinda broke my brain so eh.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So did we confirm this is a 24-ep cour or a split-cour or something?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Holy poo poo I want her spinoff.
That's one of his recurring characters from his first publication. Toytoy.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 27, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Darke GBF posted:

Yeah, kinda the whole problem with a power like "explosions" is you can't really show what it's doing to the enemy. Ochako was getting scuffs on her clothes while the arena around them was being torn up and blown away. Whatever, though, anime.

She was levitating a huge cloud of rubble for minutes when before she used to get queasy doing heavy stuff. Super impressive!
They're anime explosions which only have like 3 settings:

1. No injuries at all
2. "Ugh! Hatchmarks!"
3. Missing Limbs

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Aurora posted:

4. No trace left

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou ironically ends up basically the most developed character in the series.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still like that the guy that starts booing Bakugou for beating up a girl literally looks like a white knight.

Aizawa being pissed off at it and telling the guy off was great too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Cool Stuff:

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 29, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It was everything Horikoshi promised really. They nailed it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm glad they didn't short-sell how abusive Endeavor was. He's an absolute fucker.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if we'll get a new OP/ED for the next cour.

I want something weirder and less generic (or at least more rockish) than the last couple of OPs. Go get MAN WITH A MISSION or One Ok Rock or Little Village Medicine Shop (I think I got it right- Hori's favorite band) or something.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mineta and Bakugou's early portrayals don't fail too hard IMO because no one really indulges them.

Mineta's perversity grosses out basically everyone in class and he gets called on it just about every time he engages in it. Aizawa tells Bakugou to cut his stupid poo poo out the instant he starts it when he gets to UA (a contrast to him in middle school). Bakugou's issue wasn't him being praised for being him early on- it was just that he was a bit TOO mean. Making fun of Midoriya is one thing, telling him to literally kill himself is another.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I didn't realize they animated the whole Tsuyu side-story in the other OVA I guess? Now I must find it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Interesting they're showing Nana so early.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The sports festival is good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou goes 1000% at everything he does because he has no issues with crushing people he outclasses and DOES have issues with potentially losing ever. The fact he's actually super serious about what he does is like his one positive feature.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm really happy they worked in the Uraraka eyeball gag there at the end along with the stuff with Midoriya and Todoroki with their mothers.

It's nice to see a story about high schoolers that actually have parents that EXIST and are present in their kids lives. Well, except for that one dude. He sucks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Preview for the new cour, with part of the new OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIOW6no_Ew

Looks good- and also looks like we get some bits and pieces of the other kids' internships!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tokoyami is the chuuni spirit personified.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is the first pro gig for Aoyama's VA and I say he nailed it. Same with Mei's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gyges posted:

So is Deku's handwriting janky due to his extensive arm and hand injuries or because of his air chair exercises?

Also Deku Mom is best mom.

Looks like we should be more worried that he'll go full Raphael.
His right hand is still pretty hosed up at this point so he's writing left-handed for now. I think you see it in the manga until right where this episode ends which is after he finally has been fully healed.

• Locked thread