Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I hope they add a bunch of anime only Mei content since she's 1. The best non Class A character and 2. Apparently all over the promo material and OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's not much you can do with anti-gravity and a wide open minefield if you can't anti-grav yourself because of crippling vertigo and you didn't bring a sled with you cause your name isn't Deku.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Waffleman_ posted:

Mei still has a really good voice.

BEIBI

Apparently this is literally her first role ever? That owns.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How fast we've forgotten about Pokemon giving kids seizures

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Inflammatory posted:

okay getting kind of weird now

I mean that's kind of the point people are trying to make about the anime's version

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kirishima and Sato got greedy and started punching towards Cementoss to capture him when they should've taken advantage of his lack of speed (and also the travel time of his cement creation) by punching away from him. Sato could've grabbed Kirishima and threw him as hard as he could out of the arena since that would satisfy the win condition (the heroes are outmatched, one of them must escape to call for help).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kendou is the best and I wish she got more screentime but she belongs in 1-B using her big hand to smack everyone in line.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Here is the spoiler for exactly this that I am clearly marking for everyone else's safety.

Shinso has basically not existed since the children fighting Olympics so he is a very long ways off in the Anime unless they decide to use him in some filler.

This just made me sad that we're gonna have like one episode worth of Hatsume Mei in the next two years.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Horikoshi regrets writing Bakugou so harshly in the first chapter though so it's kinda obvious he went overboard at the start with how much of a giant dick he is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Farg posted:

could momo make a nuke

of course

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She would probably need to be pretty well versed in nuclear physics to perform de novo synthesis of a working, stable nuke though

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Farg posted:

so what I'm getting is that momo could shoot uranium rods out of her body in every direction, dosing every student at UA with deadly radiation

Don't think too hard about Momo because she has an infinite amount of ways to just straight up kill everyone around her. Like if she had a bad day she could just expel a cloud of sarin in every direction and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Much like in real life, the actual synthesis of pharmaceuticals is a tiny fraction of their cost. She wouldn't be doing anything a plant in India or China already does in much larger quantities plus she would get nailed for patent infringement.

Realistically she would make an insanely good disaster relief hero since she would be able to create generators, medicine, shelter etc and her only logistical requirements would be food and time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Terper posted:

One for All was also not an inheritable power and Deku was completely quirkless, which is fun to think about when you realize that the entire story relies on Deku and All Might's bond through OfA, as well as forming the entire backbone of the backstory of the big bad.

A shounen story with a powerless main character inevitably gives the main character a power so MHA just sped that up a little. I think the longest a series they went without it was Mx0 (may it rest in peace).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I feel like the anime really didn't sell Uraraka about to murder a bitch for trying to mess with her friend.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shere posted:

Shounen is basically reader wish-fulfillment. It's targeted at young boys so it can't ever get too dark, or too complicated. It's serialized in a weekly publication so it has to play to an audience.

Off the top of my head AssClass and HxH are both shounen that got dark and complicated though. AssClass less so after they pulled back from Nagisa's mom arc.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Waffleman_ posted:

And under that, there's a skeleton.

But does she have invisible bones

Hell do they have to use special imaging techniques in people like her for surgery? That seems like a pain in the rear end and people with invisibility quirks would basically have to live in urban areas with well equipped health services.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kild posted:

Her ability is refraction so presumably nothing like that would work.

Alright we're gonna be using ultrasound to get your wisdom tooth out of there, I've never done this before so we'll only be using local anesthesia and just holler if we miss and poke something we shouldn't

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bofast posted:

I really liked the premise of the show, in a pseudo groundhog day sense, but the main character annoys me too much in 80% of the episodes to rate it very highly.

He's a brutal takedown of a typical isekai protagonist and by extension, the otaku who use them as self-inserts so yes, he is supposed to annoy you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bofast posted:

I guess if that was the intent, it's very successful, even if using an anime character as a self insert in the first place seems weird to me. I still can't like a show where I can't root for the main character, though.

It's very common especially amongst the most popular light novels. It's not necessarily a conscious thing but most of these male protagonists exist as wish fulfillment of some sort, be it as just a generic dope who somehow catches the eye of four incredibly attractive girls or the main character of mahouka who is this brooding loner at school who gets bullied for being weak but secretly has vastly more power than he seems.

In any case, Subaru is super genre savvy. He's the guy who knows enough about isekai that he's totally nonplussed and even hyped to be transported to a fantasy world. He's also a god drat NEET so his interpersonal skills are awful and he's annoying in the ways you'd expect a shameless NEET to be.

The biggest example I can think of is when he breaks his promise and goes to save Emilia and he unloads all of his feelings about the hell he has gone through to protect her and she says that she never asked for him to put himself through so much pain and if he thinks that's what she wanted then he's in love with an Emilia that only exists in his head. It's a really good scene because it's a very common behaviour amongst the kind of people that Subaru represents. Specifically that they go out of their way to do things for someone that they never asked for or even wanted and expect love or reward in return for doing them. They don't understand that kind of behaviour is selfish and patronizing because it doesn't take into account the other person's feelings (because of course they'd be happy if you did something so good for them) and manipulative because it places guilt onto the receiving party for the struggle they went through and even more guilt if they refuse to reward them.

I'm not even the biggest Re:Zero fan but that scene really stands out for me still because it's such a strong rebuke against some pretty typical real life male behaviour that is often rewarded in this genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fabricated posted:

Mineta gets a couple good moments in the first two seasons but keeps being gross and cancels them out.

I wish Hori would've dialed the perversity back a couple notches and made Mineta the put-upon straightman. Iida doesn't really fulfill that role since he's just as down for the crazier stuff as anyone else.

Mineta being a hormonal teen is fine- everyone being generically asexual outside of the main character and whatever token romance they got going on is kinda boring.

He (side panel joke from the manga so technically a spoiler?)tells a 7 year old girl she'll be hot in 10 years which is like what the gently caress

• Locked thread