Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the two arcs after stain are great, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dont most kids get quirks based on their parents' quirks? so if, say, tetsutestu's parents both had steel powers like that it'd make sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Sonny Strait is sick so this week's dubbed episode will have an understudy for Present Mic, which is maybe a problem inherent in this way of doing it.

yea

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

superLINUS posted:

I've burned through all the episodes in the last 3 days and I love it. I'm pretty new to anime - is there anything that is similar to this, tone-wise?
One Punch Man is more a gag series but is still a super hero thing. Tiger and Bunny stars two adult characters and so is a little quieter in places but is pretty similar, and is also a superhero thing. And yeah, Soul Eater isnt' a superhero thing at all (its aesthetic is very anime nightmare before christmas) but it's got a fun energy to it and some really great designs.

EDIT: also do not tell the guy whos new to anime to watch 400 episodes of one piece lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Attack on Titan
Hunter x Hunter
Black Lagoon
Soul Eater
Mob Psycho 100
Akame ga Kill
Drifters

All of those have great action, beautiful designs and great stories.
he asked for shows with a similar tone to mha, lol. all of these are decent shows but only soul eater really fits. attack on titan is grimdark, hxh gets pretty dark and even early on is kinda weird and violent, black lagoon is just an anime tarantino movie, mob psycho is way more surreal and comedy focused, akame ga kill is edgy @f, and drifters is super violent and edgy too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fate/zero

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's some mild pacing problems and i dont think anyone would deny that - some unnecessary recaps, a couple of scenes per episode where they explain things for too long while nothing happens - but the important scenes have a lot of kinetic energy to them and there are some great bits of character animation that add a lot to making the cast feel like they're really bouncing off each other, so overall i'd say it's a pretty good anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

So quick question.

Is everyone in the crowd able to see Allmight in that box he's in, all powered down? I though they were making a big deal of not letting anyone know he was limited last season?
How would they know he's All Might? he's just some weird-looking dude sitting in the crowd.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

He is wearing All Might's suit.
if all might is the only man in the world that wears a dark blue suit with a brown tie, then that's a more amazing superpower than his strength.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Nobody is complaining about this, people are complaining about how enough time each episode has been devoted to a copy-pasted setting intro and needless recaps that, this far into s2, we would be almost a full episodes worth of content further into the story if they'd not been stalling for 2-4 minutes of runtime every episode.

i mean, that amount of stalling is just a reality of how anime is produced. jojo's had twice as much stalling like that, and re:zero stood out because of how dedicated the staff were to *not* stalling. short 13 ep shows dont have to do stuff like that, but these days anything over that length is probably gonna have that to a certain extent, even moreso if it's an action-heavy series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thCnuLgXdwU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Or maybe I could be a half-asleep idiot and mentally mix up Bones and Trigger.
trigger's made four tv anime and only one really had any real amount of fanservice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I mean half the drat world had Made in Abyss as one of their favorites, despite 'bad things happen to cute kids' being absolutely trite shorthand for emotion, drama, and depth. Forgive me if I think that anime fans don't actually know what makes something original or interesting in the slightest.
no, half the people who voted in crunchyroll's anime of the year poll

and even as someone who doesnt like made in abyss i think people voted for it because it had interesting visual design and gorgeous music not just because it had bad things happening to cute kids

also mha isnt very original or interesting either when you boil it down

also, they listed it as their favorite, not the most original or interesting anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shounen is barely targeted at young boys these days, plenty of it gets dark and complicated, and these days a lot more manga is written with the volumes in mind than the weekly serialization

• Locked thread