Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Just watched the new episodes. My two biggest takeaways:

- Holy poo poo Iida's arms are out of control
- I forgot how loving good Asui's Japanese VA is, shame on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

mabels big day posted:

episode was ok, i dont care for the new op or ed. I haven't read the manga at all for this so the anime stuff is all new. I have no expectations or any idea of what cool things are going to happen.
You have watched Season 1 first though right

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Who loving runs Arby's's twitter? Jesus.
It's too powerful.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I don't watch MHA. It just shocks me that Arby's would make a reference to an anime most people following them have probably never heard of.
They did a Samurai Jack tweet a few weeks ago

Their social media director is very obviously a huge nerd

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I feel like this latest episode is an excellent rebuttal against people who think anime-original content is bad

Because all the clips of the other classmates and even the side-heroes were all real good

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I can't actually remember if the kids have come up with their hero names yet in the anime but if not rest assured that a few of them really steal the title of "best name" with ease.
I think this happens after the Sports Festival, before their semi-internships.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eej posted:

There's not much you can do with anti-gravity and a wide open minefield if you can't anti-grav yourself because of crippling vertigo and you didn't bring a sled with you cause your name isn't Deku.
I really look forward to her getting over her vertigo and attaching a bunch of direction-controlling little booster rockets to her costume so she can become the DBZ character she deserves to be

Less DBZ character and more human Gundam now that I think of it

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 17, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

oh yeah, that's true!

e: is deku's name a pun on fire breathing or telekinesis?

Boku no Hero Academia Wikia posted:

Izuku's name contains the kanji for "green" (緑?), "valley" (谷), "coming out/being from a certain place" (出) and "long ago" (久).

"久" is also homophonous to "nine" (九 usually read as Kyū), which refers to him being the ninth user of One For All.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Sonny Strait is sick so this week's dubbed episode will have an understudy for Present Mic, which is maybe a problem inherent in this way of doing it.
It'll give the new guy exposure and be redubbed for the DVD release anyway, I expect.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

People keep saying "the pacing is bad, the anime needs to go faster and stop focusing on these tiny details from the manga"

gently caress that, I want more details, I volunteer to see anime-original filler about Class B and Mount Lady

The characters in My Hero Academia have me hooked, basically

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Lemme tell you, this upcoming tournament is one of the best tournaments I've seen in a shonen manga because it ain't just fights for fights' sake. We only focus on a couple, and they're all big character moments.
I'd almost forgotten how good some of the stuff coming up was

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Guarantee we're gonna start hearing "asspull!" after the next episode.
It's a shonen, it's a tournament arc

If there aren't asspulls it'd be disappointing

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

It's weird seeing self-admitted "casual" anime podcasts/reviewers watch this episode and actually be like, "Wtf was the fan service for? I don't need to see that. This ep should've been 90% backstory! I wanna know more about the characters!" I'm used to hearing the exact opposite.
And the fanservice, while obvious, wasn't even of the gross variety too

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If I remember correctly, the next match is some of the hypest poo poo in the series

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

the audience's reaction being unreasonable was the whole point, though?
Yeah, keep in mind that this is an audience that missed a giant death-cloud of rubble flying over the arena. Not the most observant bunch.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I think it's perfectly understandable to not like Bakugou. When I had read up to this point in the manga, I didn't like him yet either.

He sees a lot of development though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i already kinda like bakugou, he's a huge rear end in a top hat but he's fun to watch and i think he's already showing bits of development with acknowledging that ochako really could have potentially beat him if he wasn't on guard

also deku's middle fingers should be horribly fried from putting all of one for all into flipping off endeavor
Now I'm imagining a Deku version of the Uraraka flipping Bakugou off comic, except it's Deku and he shatters his middle finger and the mere act of doing it throws Bakugou through a wall

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This is probably the best episode of anything I've seen this season.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

stain is just so god drat 90's
I'm pretty sure he's a deliberate homage to 90s western comics.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

For all the people making a joke out of those things, it's worth it for the few people who didn't know it was something they needed.
It was specifically designed for people with nervous energy, and was a niche toy for kids who were, say, on the spectrum, in the 90s

Then the internet found out about it last year

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Is that true because I've only ever seen it claimed in pearl-clutching facebook posts mass-shared by concerned mothers.
It's true. Fidget spinners aren't new.

They might as well be, however. Though the original patent for a spinning toy like the fidget spinner was applied for in 1993, it was completely obscure until the patent lapsed and the major toy companies started making versions of their own.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 26, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cheston posted:

I rewatched the tournament arc and just noticed Kaminari got ~300 internship offers even though he didn't get past the first tournament bracket. Is that continuity with the moment in S1 where Jiro tries to stall for time by flattering the electrical villain about his quirk type being rare and in demand? If so, it's a really nice touch to not have that be a throwaway line.
It has a lot of utility, and besides, if Justice League is anything to go by *everyone* is weak to electricity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Same. That song got better and better every week and I really like it. The new OP has decent visuals but the song has no energy which may fit this arc but it doesn't fit the series' overall optimism and fun IMO.
Even if they wanted an OP with a more 'serious' tone they could have done better, this OP's music is just kinda lifeless.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

He's like, the only character with a police-like ability, everyone else is either specialized or designed to kill poo poo. He's the one true hero of the people.
Sero has a pretty good ability for policing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Slime posted:

I know, right? He can put up police tape in an instant.
If he can adapt his ability to restrain people and not just for mobility then that's another good policing utility.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I mean obviously he's good at his job but I kind of assumed it was going to be in a more assholish way like he'd be too concerned about glory to worry about helping civilians or his comrades but he seemed genuinely concerned about stuff. I think that's what lifts the writing above the usual shounen action show, many of the characters just refuse to stick the pigeonholes you might expect.

I assume at some point there's a story behind Gran Torino obviously being a top class hero but no one seemingly having heard of him?
What's so great is that you can tell why he's not beloved even though he isn't just an outright rear end in a top hat to civilians. The guy causes a ton of property damage in the course of just navigating the town (more than most heroes)--- how much do you think it costs people whenever he goes out heroing and does that foot thing? And he's a scary fire guy whose version of "going easy on someone" is to give them horrific but not quite life-threatening burns.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kanos posted:

To be fair, in a one on one situation anyone short of All Might would probably lose to Stain. Hell, All Might might lose to Stain if Stain attacked him from ambush or All Might tried to pull his punches too much; all it takes is one nick and you're dead.
I wonder who's the better one-on-one melee fighter between Stain and Aizawa, because Stain's quirk would be mostly useless against Eraserhead.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 3, 2017

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I just absolutely love All Might, he cracks me up and really gets me pumped too. People were talking about best characters awhile back and I was surprised All Might didn't even come up, although its easy to overlook with all the great kids. But man he's just so funny and great.

And both voice actors are fantastic. The All Might laugh is just so good. Ha Ha Haaa! Its okay now! Why? Because I am here!
All Might has been in the top 10 in every MHA character popularity poll, which is a rarity for adult authority figures in a shonen.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What about Hisoka from HxH?
He's an antagonist, good antagonists being in the top 10 of popularity polls isn't unheard of

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Sirius was very cute and I was real disappointed that her good ears turned out to be radios

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I haven't watched much of the season 2 dub, entirely because Tsuyu's Japanese VA is so good

That's literally my only reason

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm just dropping in to say that Koda's cute little voice is great

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It takes a while, but Bakugou does become a Better Person eventually. Give it an arc or three.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

He gets better. Though it takes a long-rear end time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Two-cour? Not surprised, the next two arcs really dovetail into one another.

God, we're gonna see some real hype poo poo next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bofast posted:

On the one hand, it's good that I'll get new episodes of both Food Wars and MHA in April. On the other hand, the blog linked to in that tweet is not available in my country? I get if the episodes are not available, but the blog? :shrug:
It's an announcement from the official Funimation webpage, dunno why it's blocked in your country.

• Locked thread