Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

The Day was a better OP than what we got here on like all fronts, really. It's a shame too, because this season is drawing from even better material.

Actual episode was definitely a little slow and I think it really could've gotten away with using way less flashbacks to S1 than it did really. That's probably what hampered it the most.

i consider taking ten minutes out of a two-cour season to catch new people up to speed and remind anime-only people the general gist of the show an acceptable loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Petiso posted:

I'm rather disappointed at the Bakugou VS Uraraka fight, Bakugou's explosions weren't loud enough nor looked like they were actually hurting Ochako, making the audience's reaction very unconvincing.

the audience's reaction being unreasonable was the whole point, though?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i remember in the manga thread someone posted a picture of horikoshi's superhero toy collection and i counted like a dozen different venoms

so yeah any similarities are definitely intentional

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Tokoyami is the chuuni spirit personified.

no, dark shadow is the spirit

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

psst emmy this is the anime thread oh you edited it

anyway bakugo owns

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yeah i can understand not being into bakugo but saying the arc was focused on him is weird, other characters got plenty of screentime and it introduced some fun new peeps like tetsutetsu tetsutetsu and hatsune mei

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if telling people they should read something that they would enjoy makes me an elitist rear end in a top hat i accept that fate

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can check out any MarvelDC cape comic.

MHA is a lot like them but very Japanese because duh

mha is pretty different from those comics actually

for one, it's good and worth your time

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Weeboo tribalism aside Marvel and D.C. Have a lot of good comics and calling them bad is basically calling MHA bad and is bizarre.

not really

mha is obviously informed and inspired by those comics but it lacks a lot of the garbage that's festered in marvel and dc comics by dint of being a singular earnest story told by one person+his assistants and not just an endless churning of event comics that only still exist to be a testbed for what characters or stories will show up in financially profitable mediums 5-10 years from now

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

A lot of the C and D list Marvel and DC characters have runs that are basically one author's story for an extended period. They aren't really like MHA, but Moon Knight and The Question have both had multiple runs where one author tells an interesting story that's fairly self contained. Aquaman had that for a while with Sword of Atlantis and the Blue Beetle comics were also generally good examples of that.

Plus the major companies will put out things that are min/maxi series about just some group or hero, like Nextwave.

i read comics for like six years dude i know this

it just stopped being worth my time to wade through the poo poo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

I thought it was implied you weren't allowed to use quirks in a job unless you had a hero license?

not just implied, it's uraraka's whole motivation to become a hero

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Beasteh posted:

I don't think he explicitly 'controls' animals with his quirk, he just puts willpower into his voice and asks them to help him

talking normally wouldn't affect nearby creatures

e: I wonder why it doesn't work on humans :thonk:

maybe it doesn't work on sapient beings? like, it'd only half work on dolphins and the like

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Attestant posted:

lmao at this episode trying to pretend that Deku is a half of the problem, instead of it being 100% Bakugo being a poo poo.

not that you're necessarily wrong but it was p. lol in the beginning where deku is trying to explain poo poo to bakugou that he already knows and trying to formulate a plan with a guy who's just quietly walking without talking back

like poo poo deku, learn to take a hint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm really curious if horikoshi came up with momo's powerset or personality first

one of my favorite things about mha is seeing how the powers people got lucked into end up influencing who they end up becoming as people; it's not like that for every character but for momo at least it makes absolutely perfect sense that with a quirk like that she'd become an analytical person with great book smarts but struggles at the kind of on-the-fly adaptation other classmates are better at

• Locked thread