Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The pacing is definitely a lot better than the first season's. It feels kinda slow compared to the blistering pace of the manga but there's maybe like, 20, 30 seconds tops that they could've cut out of episode 2 without making the whole thing feel rushed. A couple shots were slowed down a bit much, there were a few reaction shots that weren't really necessary, but they aren't hurting much either.

And I actually really like some of the bits they've added, they're putting in some real content to round out the episodes without it getting padded. My friend and I laughed out loud in the middle of the montage when we got to the scene with the quiet rock kid lounging around in a pile of birds. These extra moments with the class have just been fantastic.

Of course, we're only two episodes in and half of episode one was interlaced with recapping, so there's always a chance we'll slow way the gently caress down on an episode or two later. But for now, it feels really good, I'm very happy with this adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Raenir Salazar posted:

Was there something Pervy the way Mineta was clinging to Yaoyorozu's back? I can see it as being somewhat cowardly so maybe that's one angle of being "the worst" but I don't get the embarrassed blushing.

In the manga he was clinging to her butt.

I haven't seen the episode yet but I'm assuming they changed that because Mineta being less gross is a good thing.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah Yu Yu Hakusho is incredibly good and also very similar in feel to MHA for most of its run. It's got a similar hopeful save-the-world vibe while being a pretty traditional shonen romp.

Also Tiger & Bunny cannot be recommended enough, it is extremely good.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nitrousoxide posted:

So quick question.

Is everyone in the crowd able to see Allmight in that box he's in, all powered down? I though they were making a big deal of not letting anyone know he was limited last season?

Nobody knows skinny skeleton man is actually All Might, they just assume he's one of the other teachers they haven't seen. It's his Clark Kent mode.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Silver2195 posted:

Another factor is the time of day. If that had fought a bit earlier, Tokoyami wouldn't have been as strong.

Tokoyami's power varies by light intensity, not hour of the day. It's why Kaminari could stop him cold - lightning makes a bright flash, which makes his shadow nearly helpless. That's why he couldn't nab a headband from Todoroki until the lightning kid ran out of lightning, right at the end.

Tokoyami's shadow would be really weak in that brightly lit stage with all those torches around, but like he said to Deku, that comes with better control. So if he just needs to shove her backwards about 30 feet and never needs to reveal how weak his attacks actually are, it becomes an easy fight for him. He just needed to keep slamming his shadow into her shield until Momo stumbled herself out of bounds.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
They did five fights - all the rest of round 2 and all the semi-finals happened this episode. All that's left is the finals and the post-fight ceremonies, which should fit within a single episode.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

EmmyOk posted:

Why is Jiro rated so highly!

This poll came up right after a chapter in the manga where we met Jiro's family and saw a bit of her home life. Jiro's cool.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Jackard posted:

Sounds dumb. What is it supposed to be?

Full Cowl. I have no idea why they added the "ing."

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Somberbrero posted:

The point is that it counters the negative effects of his ice quirk and vice-versa, right?

Well yes, it also does that, but in the manga the fire side is presented as if that's the only thing its good for, and the big explosion was an accident. The anime made it seem a lot more deliberate and does a lot to sell how dangerous his fire side is, while in the manga its just kinda there to fuel more ice usage.

I don't think anyone's doing themselves a disservice by just watching the anime, its doing a pretty good job adapting the source material, even improving it in a few places. Sure, it isn't better everywhere, but that's an impossible dream to try to live up to.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Davinci posted:

If bogoodski made his own thread just to give updates on his progress and thoughts and reviews on the different shows he's watching I'd be totally down for following that thread.

I think it's probably because MHA is relatively new and doesn't really do anything unique as far as the shonen genre is concerned. It does what it does really well, but what it does is incredibly formulaic and thus far hasn't made any serious attempts to break from that mold.

Yeah, but a solid, formulaic show that does (almost) everything right is a pretty excellent entry point if you're trying to get a feel for the genre. If you want to try an action anime to get an idea for what action anime are like, My Hero Academia is a very strong choice.

Even if Mob Psycho 100 or Cowboy BeBop or FMA Brotherhood are better shows, MHA is plenty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
He's a cool villain, cool villains usually get a whole lot of votes. Especially considering the episode season 2 ended on, which featured Shigaraki being creepy and powerful front and center, and yeah its pretty weird he only got one vote. Stain getting so few votes is also very weird, for similar reasons.

I guess the ensemble cast is just too strong.

• Locked thread